• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I was just hit by Denuvo

Shifty

That's the bitch about it though; it's like Microsoft with XP. You have to force people to upgrade or they're just going to sit around with old/unsecured products. Poor implementation or not, Manglement is always going to give us nerds issues with wanting to upgrade the hardware/software for whatever purpose because of whatever reasons. Usually money.

IIUC, SSE also does introduce some security, SSE4.2 added CRC32 checks for instance.

I'm not on the development end of things like yourself; I'm over on the administration side, so forgive me if I misstep some dev stuff on that low of a level.
Manglement :messenger_tears_of_joy: how perfect.

And sure, but Far Cry is a far cry (see what i did there) from a desktop OS when it comes to stuff like security. In the general sense it would be wise to upgrade for the reasons stated, particularly now that we live in an age where, say, Intel CPUs can have long-standing exploits that require performance-degrading emergency patches to fix, but speaking specifically about being able to play Far Cry I don't think it should be a mandatory thing.

That said, OP's story is still breaking. We have yet to find out whether this crack has actually worked :unsure:

And I believe SSE security stuff is also sort of an optimization in that it crunches existing software-side implementation down into a single CPU instruction, but has the added benefit of the algorithms themselves no longer living in software space, and therefore being safe(r) from things like code injection attacks or ROP chain shenanigans.

People that scream UpGrADE uR RiG! are victims of marketing - they don't understand that useage of CPU in modern games compared to GPU is fractional, and upgrade of the technology in CPUs was much slower then GPUs so having today 10 years old AMD Phenom is prefectly okay.
Mostly yeah, providing that what you want to run runs decently. Minimum requirements should be representative of whether your rig can run a game at acceptable minimum levels of performance, not "oh whoops we forgot to wrap this bit in an if statement so it's gonna crash".

*sigh* Blame the company and not the consumer. Let me sue McDonalds because I didn't realize hot coffee is hot.
Are you done playing the corporate shill and making bad analogies now?

I already clarified the different perspectives this situation can be viewed from. If you're going to ignore that context and go all-in on "hurr durr coffee too hot" then there's zero point in continuing to engage.

Did you know that you can put diesel fuel in a regular car and it'll still run? Guess what, the manufacturer wouldn't touch your car with a 10 foot pole.

You were going to pirate it regardless. If you saw the requirements, you'd still pirate it. The only difference is that you wouldn't be on the boards to complain about it.
Ah, you're here to act like a moron and repeatedly shit on OP rather than having a conversation about the topic at hand. I see.

Not from the programmer's perspective, if he wants to have bread on the table.
Bread has nothing to do with the perspective of calling bad code what it is. Earning money to eat is business.

Last edited:
This seems like common sense to me. Customers are going to want the best version of your game. If you release a version with a performance impact (in the form of DRM) why would I buy it when I can get a better version for free?
I understand that there's obviously a hundred moral reasons. You can argue the bread-on-the-table angle 'till you're blue in the face. But consumers don't make weighty socio-political calculations when choosing a game to buy. In my opinion, I don't think they should be forced to think this way either. This shouldn't be a surprising thing to say or hear tbh.

If OP bought the FarCry key from a sharing site then, unfortunately, you can't get a refund (for a good reason.) If OP got it from Ubi, I think there could be a strong case for a support ticket to result in a refund.

PS. I've added a quick note here re: DRM, this is copy pasta from my reddit posts, but I think it's very relevant for this conversation.
It's worth knowing that the inclusion of DRM is very rarely a decision by developers or publishers. Any one who has any experience in production or playing hates DRM. As a programmer I hate factoring it in, producers hate budgeting for the time to install it, everyone hates maintaining it, it is major dog shit.
The decision is usually made by finance or parent companies that have no idea about making, only selling. To them it goes something like "Pirates can eat into profit, this program can stop pirates, it is the most widely used program and therefore best, therefore piracy won't be as much as a loss, therefore Denuvo = a bit more profit.". That's the entire logic. Occasionally the decision to include something like Denuvo is made as a sort of political decision. For example: "The Denuvo guys really helped us out with x and y last time, so we should let them on board this project to keep that relationship strong."

nkarafo

Of course it help prevent piracy. Look at how long it has been and Octopath Travler have yet to be cracked.
You need to understand that pirates are a completely different group of people than consumers who buy games.

Just because a game isn't cracked doesn't mean pirates will buy it. Maybe a 1% of them at best if they are not willing to wait for a future crack.

Not to mention pirates download games they would never buy anyway.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Manglement :messenger_tears_of_joy: how perfect.
Use it around the cube farm, I'm sure you'll get a couple of good laughs out of it xD
And sure, but Far Cry is a far cry (see what i did there) from a desktop OS when it comes to stuff like security. In the general sense it would be wise to upgrade for the reasons stated, particularly now that we live in an age where, say, Intel CPUs can have long-standing exploits that require performance-degrading emergency patches to fix, but speaking specifically about being able to play Far Cry I don't think it should be a mandatory thing.
I think it's just the admin in me; dealing with servers and building environments out you don't really get a choice. If you want the software (OS, hyper visor, whatever) you have to have the hardware that supports it. To me, software is software is software. Could be handing me a project to build out a SQL cluster or a malware infested device for some security project, doesn't make a difference to me, only thing I care about is "Does this shit run on what I got, and if not, what can I do to get to that point?"
I've done some sneaky shit to get things working that skim ToS and such, so when it's retail product I encourage them fucking with the binary to get it to run, but it doesn't mean that the base install doesn't require those specs, whether it's bull shit limiting or not.
That said, OP's story is still breaking. We have yet to find out whether this crack has actually worked :unsure:
It probably does work. When I was knee deep in absolutely despising Denuvo I think the trick was you had to RE the binary and redirect/rewrite a bunch of the bull shit relating to it. Nier: Automata I think had the same thing happen, and IIRC the dude who made the patched binary for performance added in his own DRM checks and that pissed people off lol.
And I believe SSE security stuff is also sort of an optimization in that it crunches existing software-side implementation down into a single CPU instruction, but has the added benefit of the algorithms themselves no longer living in software space, and therefore being safe(r) from things like code injection attacks or ROP chain shenanigans.
You'd know better than me! I'm not the one who looks at the security end of things, I leave that to sec ops xP
I run and get us bagels if sec ops has an issue; good way to sneak out and have a useful alibi when shit hits the fan with them, and they get bagels out of it
Mostly yeah, providing that what you want to run runs decently. Minimum requirements should be representative of whether your rig can run a game at acceptable minimum levels of performance, not "oh whoops we forgot to wrap this bit in an if statement so it's gonna crash".
There's no universal wording for what's minimum performance in a software. You can run a VPN off of a Pi, but it doesn't mean it will run well, It just means it'll run on a Pi because of meeting minimum specs.

By the way, no need to upgrade AMD Phenom cpu, the cpu runs nearly if not all recent games like a beauty.

Fucking funny seeing people scream UpGrADE uR RiG! on Steam, Reddit etc. They say oh ur playing on an old system thats not supported you should upgrade that toaster, when in fact when games that didnt work ( no mans sky, mafia 3, Rage 2, ffxv and many more ) worked like a charm after the SSE fix.
People that scream UpGrADE uR RiG! are victims of marketing - they don't understand that useage of CPU in modern games compared to GPU is fractional, and upgrade of the technology in CPUs was much slower then GPUs so having today 10 years old AMD Phenom is prefectly okay.
I wouldn't say a victim of marketing, more victim of my career and experience. CPU gains aren't so much about pushing the clock speeds so much anymore, it's more about features and cleaning up instruction sets, since that's really our bottleneck at this point.
Sure your Phenom can crunch the shit that's being thrown at it, but the more features that get released and implemented more and more into software, the more and more trouble you're going to be running into.
Future proofing is what I'm pointing at in this instance, and there REALLY are cheap processors that would have equivalent or better benchmarks with more modern features, and you wouldn't have to flip out posting on a forum that you have a 10 year old processor and expect current software to run on it, then openly stating you're pirating a game with a screen shot (Which mind you, even if you bought the software, that's not legal protection; pirating is pirating and the law DOES NOT CARE if you own a copy prior)

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
You need to understand that pirates are a completely different group of people than consumers who buy games.
WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY "YOU PEOPLE?!" WHEN TALKING ABOUT US PIRATES?!
triggered-2.png

MMaRsu

Banned
Use it around the cube farm, I'm sure you'll get a couple of good laughs out of it xD

I think it's just the admin in me; dealing with servers and building environments out you don't really get a choice. If you want the software (OS, hyper visor, whatever) you have to have the hardware that supports it. To me, software is software is software. Could be handing me a project to build out a SQL cluster or a malware infested device for some security project, doesn't make a difference to me, only thing I care about is "Does this shit run on what I got, and if not, what can I do to get to that point?"
I've done some sneaky shit to get things working that skim ToS and such, so when it's retail product I encourage them fucking with the binary to get it to run, but it doesn't mean that the base install doesn't require those specs, whether it's bull shit limiting or not.

It probably does work. When I was knee deep in absolutely despising Denuvo I think the trick was you had to RE the binary and redirect/rewrite a bunch of the bull shit relating to it. Nier: Automata I think had the same thing happen, and IIRC the dude who made the patched binary for performance added in his own DRM checks and that pissed people off lol.

You'd know better than me! I'm not the one who looks at the security end of things, I leave that to sec ops xP
I run and get us bagels if sec ops has an issue; good way to sneak out and have a useful alibi when shit hits the fan with them, and they get bagels out of it

There's no universal wording for what's minimum performance in a software. You can run a VPN off of a Pi, but it doesn't mean it will run well, It just means it'll run on a Pi because of meeting minimum specs.

I wouldn't say a victim of marketing, more victim of my career and experience. CPU gains aren't so much about pushing the clock speeds so much anymore, it's more about features and cleaning up instruction sets, since that's really our bottleneck at this point.
Sure your Phenom can crunch the shit that's being thrown at it, but the more features that get released and implemented more and more into software, the more and more trouble you're going to be running into.
Future proofing is what I'm pointing at in this instance, and there REALLY are cheap processors that would have equivalent or better benchmarks with more modern features, and you wouldn't have to flip out posting on a forum that you have a 10 year old processor and expect current software to run on it, then openly stating you're pirating a game with a screen shot (Which mind you, even if you bought the software, that's not legal protection; pirating is pirating and the law DOES NOT CARE if you own a copy prior)

The fact of the matter is this cpu still works fine. People are on a budget. I dont have 300 bucks to replace my entire mobo, memory and cpu.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
The fact of the matter is this cpu still works fine. People are on a budget. I dont have 300 bucks to replace my entire mobo, memory and cpu.
And people could make decisions to budget towards upgrades in their PC builds, or attempt to move up in their career/career change and make more money.
Could also piece meal out the upgrades; buy the RAM, wait for a good deal on a CPU/mobo combo, etc.
If you can't afford to keep a rig upgraded, I would suggest hopping over to consoles which would be more aligned with your budget

keraj37

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY "YOU PEOPLE?!" WHEN TALKING ABOUT US PIRATES?!
triggered-2.png

giphy.gif

Yep I was acting under emotions that is why I made foolish screenshot in OP, however I feel safe as some of you know I live in Jungle, so good luck CIA, FBI and interpol chasing me for pirating Far Cry 5!!!

keraj37

So cracking the game did not help as MMaRsu MMaRsu mentioned. :(
Also artificial and software driven simulating 4.1 did not help either. So I have two options:
1. Upgrade rig
2. Pass on Far Cry 5 and every future Ubi game.

I choose two points simultaneously :D

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
I still call bs on phenom can run modern game on 4k/60fps

Probably not 4k, but I can run most recent games such as RE2, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, DOOM, BF5, GTA V & Online, Destony 2, Tekken 7, PUBG, Monster Hunter World,DQ11 (except in Gondolia) at 1080p 60fps.

There are only a few games that do not work at all. Those are Ubisoft games starting from Ac: Egypt, and uhh..Apex Legends. I think all other pc titles work like a charm. Some maybe not at 60fps ( RAGE 2, which was recently patched to run on Phenom, runs pretty bad for me but might have to turn the graphics down ) but it can run those games easily.

Even Anthem was patched, while they refuse to patch it in for Apex. Even though we (phenom users) had a over 2500 reply forum thread asking for support.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
And people could make decisions to budget towards upgrades in their PC builds, or attempt to move up in their career/career change and make more money.
Could also piece meal out the upgrades; buy the RAM, wait for a good deal on a CPU/mobo combo, etc.
If you can't afford to keep a rig upgraded, I would suggest hopping over to consoles which would be more aligned with your budget

You do understand not everyone lives in the US or even has an option to "move up". In a lot of countries in eastern europe wages are very very low.

Also move to console? Lol why, Phenom outperforms all third party ps4 games. If I can play GTAV at 1080 60fps on my pc with this mobo and cpu, why would I move to 30fps versions lol. This pc runs laps around most pa4 games.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
You do understand not everyone lives in the US or even has an option to "move up". In a lot of countries in eastern europe wages are very very low.
Being someone who purchases hardware on a regular basis, I very much so understand product availability world wide.

Also move to console? Lol why, Phenom outperforms all third party ps4 games. If I can play GTAV at 1080 60fps on my pc with this mobo and cpu, why would I move to 30fps versions lol. This pc runs laps around most pa4 games.
Then I believe you have accepted the inevitability that your hardware is 10 years old and only growing older, and isn't going to have supported features for a piece of software.
If that's the case, suit yourself I guess
It's not the responsibility of businesses to ensure it runs on your hardware, that's on the consumer.
Jumping through hoops for customers is what all that politics in games nonsense is all about, not a good path.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
although in this case the engine is actually compatible, but the turbo refuse to work because the car isn't running keyless.
It'd be more akin to carburetor or fuel injected, not so much keyless.
I catch your drift, but it falls off if you think of it from an IT perspective

Work often skews my views of consumer products, so, there's that lol

lyan

It'd be more akin to carburetor or fuel injected, not so much keyless.
I catch your drift, but it falls off if you think of it from an IT perspective

Work often skews my views of consumer products, so, there's that lol
I mentioned keyless since it relates to security lol.

I guess finding a mechanical analogy would be difficult, since afaik and noted from some other publishers Denuvo is just something they can slap on or take off easily (though a button click can change almost everything in the binary), for a turbo requiring certain types of fuel / carburetor to function the limitation would be much more integral to its design I imagine.

MMaRsu

Banned
Since so many other developers have no problems fixing this issue, and barely any games don't work on the cpu anymore ( because sse issues were fixed ) some companies just refuse.

I dont see how that turbo analogy even works when you have turbo's from different manufacturers that fit inside and work like a charm.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I mentioned keyless since it relates to security lol.

I guess finding a mechanical analogy would be difficult, since afaik and noted from some other publishers Denuvo is just something they can slap on or take off easily (though a button click can change almost everything in the binary), for a turbo requiring certain types of fuel / carburetor to function the limitation would be much more integral to its design I imagine.
Ahhh sorry, I missed your analogy

It sounds like to me some companies have a binary with and without and just stash the without; maybe just a framework to plug shit into when they have an exit plan

SSE also brings in a bunch of efficiency to the plate, as described by Shifty Shifty so that's where I'm drawing my analogy from

I think it falls to the application of SSE instructions in the binary, which without us getting into reverse engineering it, we won't really know 100% if it's just for Denuvo or not, and I feel that heavily weighs on which analogy would be more accurate

*Rubs temples* Late adopters are a head ache man

Top Bottom