• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I was just hit by Denuvo

keraj37

I just bought Far Cry 5 on UPlay, and it is with denuvo - I didn't like denuvo before but was never hit that hard before by it, as denuvo in Far Cry 5 doesn't support my CPU - doesn't matter that game itself runs smoothly on CPU like mine - denuvo uses SSE4 and I have 3.

Now I am mad as I Iost money - however internet comes with aid quickly...

idVPisq.png

Hinedorf

Banned
I firmly believe in supporting developers as they are the lifeblood of my hobby. However this is pretty much standard for dealing with UBIsoft. Similar thing happened to me....I BOUGHT Far Cry 3 and then trying to play it through the UBI app told me my license key was invalid.

I've just accepted that I was better off not playing a shit series like Far Cry in the first place and deserved to have my money taken for making poor decisions.

PhoenixTank

I just bought Far Cry 5 on UPlay, and it is with denuvo - I didn't like denuvo before but was never hit that hard before by it, as denuvo in Far Cry 5 doesn't support my CPU - doesn't matter that game itself runs smoothly on CPU like mine - denuvo uses SSE4 and I have 3.

idVPisq.png
Using a phenom or similar?
That sucks, but did you ask for a refund? If it literally won't run you have a strong case to get your money back rather than using more questionable means.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Sounds like you need to upgrade your rig; processor is kind of old

AMD doesn't have much in the way of searches, but they tend to fall in line with the same releases Intel does.

Plenty of processors out there now supporting 4.X and are pretty cheap, as long as your motherboard supports it

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
(ah) You've been hit by
(ah) You've been struck by
A smooth business deal

Sure shows you how much the industry cares for supporting anything that isn't hot and new, eh?
Somewhat; extended instruction sets provide more stability (TM), security (TM) and actually most of the time a good heap of performance enhancements.

inb4 x86-x64 architecture is shit and inefficient in the first place

SSE3 also came out in like, 2004 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE3 so it's pretty ancient stuff in the computer world.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

idVPisq.png
dumb ass backwards shit
but it is to prevent the very thing you are doing xD

zeorhymer

Denuvo does not prevent piracy, it only punishes paying costumers. And in this case, even drove someone into finding a crack for a game.
A game in which is not supported by UBI or even meets the minimum requirements. He read the requirements, didn't care, and bought it anyways. Then complains that it doesn't work with his rig.

keraj37

dumb ass backwards shit
but it is to prevent the very thing you are doing xD

Spot on comment

A game in which is not supported by UBI or even meets the minimum requirements. He read the requirements, didn't care, and bought it anyways. Then complains that it doesn't work with his rig.

I didn't read minimum requirements as I am playing every new game in 4k 60 fps including Battlefront 2 etc.
This minimum CPU is not requirement for a game but for a DENUVO

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Of course it help prevent piracy. Look at how long it has been and Octopath Travler have yet to be cracked.
It's not really on a priority list for most groups.
They'd rather catch the brand new games instead of ports of games that have been out for quite a while on another platform.
Unless it's that hype of a game.

Like The Quiet Man; no one is going to bust Denuvo on it because it's shit.

keraj37

Using a phenom or similar?
That sucks, but did you ask for a refund? If it literally won't run you have a strong case to get your money back rather than using more questionable means.

Well I cannot refund - I bought a key :) so not much lost - but it is still legal purchase.
And yeah I have old AMD CPU.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I didn't read minimum requirements as I am playing every new game in 4k 60 fps including Battlefront 2 etc.
o.o Old AMD processor and pushing 4k 60fps? You must be killing all your post processing effects to achieve that, I would imagine.
And yeah, Denuvo is a security system used to ensure that processes aren't having arbitrary code injected in them, and other things, which would make use of SSE4.X

All in all you should just upgrade your processor; if your GPU is able to handle brunting the load for the CPU in that capacity, I'd expect some good performance boosts from upgrading your processor to something newer.
The longer SSE4.X is out, the more software in general is going to use it, and the more incompatibilities you're going to run into

Shifty

Somewhat; extended instruction sets provide more stability (TM), security (TM) and actually most of the time a good heap of performance enhancements.

inb4 x86-x64 architecture is shit and inefficient in the first place

SSE3 also came out in like, 2004 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE3 so it's pretty ancient stuff in the computer world.
While all of what you say is true, OP shouldn't be forced into upgrading because of poor DRM support if the game can function fine without it.

It'd be more permissible if the instruction set in question implemented some kind of unique feature that older processors simply couldn't replicate, but SSE is all about optimizing existing operations down into single instructions. Done right, a program should be able to detect what's available and swap in a more (or less) optimized set of function calls where appropriate.

That's a pretty strong argument from a business perspective I suppose.

From the perspective of a programmer and customer on the other hand, I feel that it's a massive cop-out to crank the minimum requirements because the denuvo developers skipped out on due process error checking.

zeorhymer

No it's not. Want to try again?

Requirements

Minimum requirements:
Resolution: 720p
Video Preset: Lowest

Operating System (64bit versions only):
Windows 7 SP1
Windows 8.1
Windows 10
Processor:
Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.1 GHz
AMD FX 6300 @ 3.5 GHz
(or better)
(SSE 4.1 Support or higher required)
Video card (2GB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0):

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
AMD Radeon R9 270
(or better - SEE LIST OF SUPPORTED CARDS)
RAM:
8GB

Irregardless if you *think* it's for Denuvo, this is listed for FC5.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

From the perspective of a programmer and customer on the other hand, I feel that it's a massive cop-out to crank the minimum requirements because the denuvo developers skipped out on due process error checking.
*sigh* Blame the company and not the consumer. Let me sue McDonalds because I didn't realize hot coffee is hot.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
While all of what you say is true, OP shouldn't be forced into upgrading because of poor DRM support if the game can function fine without it.

It'd be more permissible if the instruction set in question implemented some kind of unique feature that older processors simply couldn't replicate, but SSE is all about optimizing existing operations down into single instructions. Done right, a program should be able to detect what's available and swap in a more (or less) optimized set of function calls where appropriate.
That's the bitch about it though; it's like Microsoft with XP. You have to force people to upgrade or they're just going to sit around with old/unsecured products. Poor implementation or not, Manglement is always going to give us nerds issues with wanting to upgrade the hardware/software for whatever purpose because of whatever reasons. Usually money.

IIUC, SSE also does introduce some security, SSE4.2 added CRC32 checks for instance.

I'm not on the development end of things like yourself; I'm over on the administration side, so forgive me if I misstep some dev stuff on that low of a level.

I've heard more stupid reasons in meetings with management on why we're dropping a feature both admins and devs are pushing for than I can remember. I'm pretty sure whatever meeting had both companies sitting down the talk goes something like
Admins/Devs: "This kills the performance of the product and limits the hardware it can run on, it'll piss off customers and they'll just steal it anyways"
Denuvo: "But it protects your product from getting stolen, it's a disservice to your customer to let others steal it easily."
Brass: *Scoff* "WE CAN'T HAVE PEOPLE STEALING OUR STUFF! The sales we'll get from protecting our product will offset the cost of Denuvo and after it's cracked!"

And well, most games that are mainly single player are cracked to hell and back, while your mostly online ones are the ones that take a while to crack. So it really doesn't do shit but make Manglement and investors happy.

BlackTron

With how much quality content there is out there now, far more than I'd ever have time for, shit like this just makes it really easy to get tossed into the "PASS" category and move on to the next.

I'm simply too out of energy to get mad about video game bs anymore.

In my opinion, until they actually solve the issue that paying customers are treated with a worse experience than pirates, they are shooting themselves in the foot and asking for the problem.

keraj37

Requirements

Minimum requirements:

Windows 7 SP1
Windows 8.1
Windows 10
Processor:
AMD FX 6300 @ 3.5 GHz
(or better)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
AMD Radeon R9 270
RAM:
8GB

Yep I see they listed it - however tell me why cracked far cry 5 runs fine on my CPU? Do you think I am going to pirate it without research if that is going to work? Anyway download should end soon and I will enjoy my FC5 on my good ol' CPU :)

Last edited:

zeorhymer

Yep I see they listed it - however tell me why cracked far cry 5 runs fine on my CPU? Do you think I am going to pirate it without research if that is going to work? Anyway download should end soon and I will enjoy my FC5 on my good ol' CPU :)
Did you know that you can put diesel fuel in a regular car and it'll still run? Guess what, the manufacturer wouldn't touch your car with a 10 foot pole.

You were going to pirate it regardless. If you saw the requirements, you'd still pirate it. The only difference is that you wouldn't be on the boards to complain about it.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Does the cracked version even run without SSE 4.1? I thought Denuvo still runs in the cracked versions it just has a lot of crap spoofed. If Denuvo can't run, spoofing it is useless.

I care about devs/publishers that aren't actively anti-consumer. I love this hobby, and I happily contribute my resources to its continued existence and ongoing development and evolution.

As for those out there who clearly treat me, the consumer - the butter for their bread, as an inconvenience or a necessary evil, well...

chaseroni

So let me get this straight, OP bought a game, that by all means does run on his PC, however old it may be.
The games DRM requires a newer CPU instruction set, not the game itself but its copy protection.
OP downloads pirated version of the game to play without DRM, notices huge flaw in the DRM implementation so he makes a public post, and still gets flamed for it?
This is nonsense.
He bought the game, and has a very valid complaint about the way it was packaged.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
So let me get this straight, OP bought a game, that by all means does run on his PC, however old it may be.
The games DRM requires a newer CPU instruction set, not the game itself but its copy protection.
OP downloads pirated version of the game to play without DRM, notices huge flaw in the DRM implementation so he makes a public post, and still gets flamed for it?
This is nonsense.
He bought the game, and has a very valid complaint about the way it was packaged.
It's only valid to a degree
You shouldn't expect modern software to run on old hardware; DRM is apart of the software package, regardless of how the end users (And us IT folk) feel about it.
If you want to use the software package, you have to have the hardware to support it, that's not going to ever change, and expecting outside of that is....odd

It'd be the equivalent to someone trashing Microsoft's Hyper-V because it won't run on hardware without extended page files.
EDIT, SIDE RANT: And I was the dumb ass who bought a cheap server and didn't check the CPU/Mobo specs and it doesn't support extended page files and my hypervisor project died in it's tracks unless I want to spend more money (And I don't, because I'm cheap, and it's a home project). No, I don't want to use KVM etc.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
o.o Old AMD processor and pushing 4k 60fps? You must be killing all your post processing effects to achieve that, I would imagine.
Or he is full of shit. As somebody who used to have a phenom and doesn't hit 4k60fps on "every new game" on an even better processor I know where I'd place my bet.

Last edited:
Or he is full of shit. As somebody who used to have a phenom and doesn't hit 4k60fps on "every new game" on an even better processor I know where I'd place my bet.
I actually through about it too. I had a Phenom II 940 around 10 years ago and it was not a great processor.

Last edited:

chaseroni

It's only valid to a degree
You shouldn't expect modern software to run on old hardware; DRM is apart of the software package, regardless of how the end users (And us IT folk) feel about it.
If you want to use the software package, you have to have the hardware to support it, that's not going to ever change, and expecting outside of that is....odd

It'd be the equivalent to someone trashing Microsoft's Hyper-V because it won't run on hardware without extended page files.
EDIT, SIDE RANT: And I was the dumb ass who bought a cheap server and didn't check the CPU/Mobo specs and it doesn't support extended page files and my hypervisor project died in it's tracks unless I want to spend more money (And I don't, because I'm cheap, and it's a home project). No, I don't want to use KVM etc.

While I understand where you're coming from I don't see why DRM has to push system specs up at all as part of the package.
If the game runs on the hardware at least...
OP could just be fabricating that it does. I have no idea.

keraj37

FranXico

From the linked Steam thread:
We never said it can be solved with a snip of the fingers. It can be solved by making effort to fix the problem as many other developers have done in the past. Bungie for Destiny 2, Bethesda for Evil Within 2, Activision for Destiny 2.. even SQUARE ENIX which had abysmal PC support over the years has found a way to implement a way so people with PHENOM CPU's can play the game they bought FFXV. In every STEAM thread about those games before support was patched in, people were yelling "Yall computers are too old! Upgrade your dinosaur PC!" but then when the games got patched they were silent because you know what? The PHENOM CPU is perfectly capable of running those games in high resolutions and nice FPS.

Most of those other games got patches within a few months. It can't be that hard then can it? If all those other developers have no issues fixing this problem.

The Phenom XII 1090t Black edition CPU is a 6 core beast way stronger than anything inside Xbox One or Playstation 4. Yet those consoles are able to run the games. Even potato CPU's that DO support SSE 4.1 can run the game, even if they are well below minspecs.

So dude, stfu and stop shilling for this company that has the worst PC support in the history of PC support. They treat their legitmate customers like pirates and stick multiple DRM inside their games and all the while the pirates are able to play the games DRM FREE.

Also, Assassins Creed Origins has the same minspecs as AC:Syndicate which is perfectly playable on a PHENOM CPU. The only difference is that the games run three different DRM's inside it which Syndicate did not and therefore the requirement will NOT be patched.

Sadly Ubisoft won't just come out and say "We will not patch out SSE requirement because our DRM solutions requires it stay active".

MMaRsu

Banned

idVPisq.png

Denuvo has impacted all Ubisoft games past Assassins Creed Egypt.

Even fucking Trials doesnt work on my cpu, because of the forced Denuvo garbage.

Never buying any Ubisoft games,, their company doesnt give a shit about their pc fanbase so why should I care about their games?

MMaRsu

Banned
By the way, no need to upgrade AMD Phenom cpu, the cpu runs nearly if not all recent games like a beauty.

Fucking funny seeing people scream UpGrADE uR RiG! on Steam, Reddit etc. They say oh ur playing on an old system thats not supported you should upgrade that toaster, when in fact when games that didnt work ( no mans sky, mafia 3, Rage 2, ffxv and many more ) worked like a charm after the SSE fix.

MMaRsu

Banned

All new games work like a charm on Phenom CPU. Even shit like BFV which has 64 man multi, destructable enviroments etc..

Ubisoft doesnt WANT to fix the SSE issue, unlike other devs.

Anthem didnt run on Phenom. Till the game sold like shit then it was quickly patched to increase sales.

MMaRsu

Banned

Requirements

Minimum requirements:

Windows 7 SP1
Windows 8.1
Windows 10
Processor:
AMD FX 6300 @ 3.5 GHz
(or better)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
AMD Radeon R9 270
RAM:
8GB

Phenom is on par with cpu listed except instruction set issue

That's a pretty strong argument from a business perspective I suppose.

Not from the programmer's perspective, if he wants to have bread on the table.

keraj37

This is untrue, the game does not run on phenom cpu, regardless if cracked or not.

Ubisoft doesnt want to patch it and wont fix it for future or past games.

Oh, so I didn't understand correctly then - my download finished recently but I am at work so didn't have chance to test it. But if that is true what you say, I really lost money - until I upgrade my motherboard and cpu :/

MMaRsu

Banned
I wouldnt even want to play it after uograding cpu, same goes for apex legends which refuse to add sse support for it too

keraj37

By the way, no need to upgrade AMD Phenom cpu, the cpu runs nearly if not all recent games like a beauty.

Fucking funny seeing people scream UpGrADE uR RiG! on Steam, Reddit etc. They say oh ur playing on an old system thats not supported you should upgrade that toaster, when in fact when games that didnt work ( no mans sky, mafia 3, Rage 2, ffxv and many more ) worked like a charm after the SSE fix.

People that scream UpGrADE uR RiG! are victims of marketing - they don't understand that useage of CPU in modern games compared to GPU is fractional, and upgrade of the technology in CPUs was much slower then GPUs so having today 10 years old AMD Phenom is prefectly okay.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
People that scream UpGrADE uR RiG! are victims of marketing - they don't understand that useage of CPU in modern games compared to GPU is fractional, and upgrade of the technology in CPUs was much slower then GPUs so having today 10 years old AMD Phenom is prefectly okay.
Duh i run a second gen i7.
Still do 4k 60fps on a shit ton of games

But besides that with gsync i can give fuck all about fps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom