• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I was first indifferent to Godfall but after yesterday's demonstration it will be one of the first titles i buy when i get a PS5

JonnyMP3

Now that I've watched the trailer again and also found out that the the Combat Director from God Of War is on the game, I now see that this game is for people that enjoyed the combat in GOW and wanted more of it. Personally, I liked the combat in God of War. Having to switch between dodging, shielding and deflecting depending on the enemies was fun.

Looks a lot better than the earlier showings. This might actually be a really fun game to play. Zero microtransactions is a BIG plus, too. Hopefully Gearbox can set a standard in that regard.

PvP opportunities here should satiate DS players until DS Remastered and Elden Ring come out (most likely late next year).

tillbot8

Banned
Looks fun, could be a bit repetitive though, might wait for it to be on sale in a year (orrrrr a ps+ freebie).

Varteras

Gold Member
There are moments in the gameplay that I think look like fun but I feel like the majority of gameplay moments are going to be dull. If there is any kind of depth to this game the developers have yet to show it. As of right now it looks like a predominantly mindless hack-n-slash with a couple neat abilities. The setting of the game and the apparent map layouts really aren't doing it for me either. It seems like one of those early gen games for console players where you grab it to play with friends when you're waiting for better games to come out, assuming there aren't better ones already. I could be pleasantly surprised, but anyone buying a PS5 is likely going to have much better options. Even if that means reaching back into PS4 games to kill the time.

JTCx

Combat based games and fighting games are my shit. As long as its responsive and not shallow im all in for it.

spawn

It looks good except the AI looks like it needs some work. Some of the enemies don't even notice you charging right at them. Could be he was playing on super easy mode or it still needs work

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So many games will be available at launch window that I'm not sold quite yet. We'll see. This is the best playstation launch ever games-wise (and probably sales-wise).

We've come a long way from having to buy Resistance Fall of Man on ps3 launch...

MP!

depends how many currencies I have to collect on top of hunting down some stupid instructions to even be allowed to buy a blueprint of a piece of armor that one day I could possibly forge if I somehow find 3 pieces of legendary LIGHT shiny thing that are somehow different from the light shinies I already have in my inventory.
And by the time I have enough crap to forge it... I don't really need it anymore.

Yeah ... depends on that.

llien

Yea I was interested. It reminded me of God of war kinda. I also liked the environments.

Ouch, I was wondering if people who feel excited about this game, have seen GoW 2018.

For me, with GoW (which is a masterpiece in my books) as baseline, this looks like much inferior combat and on par, but more boring, visuals.

VN1X

Banned
I've been telling people this from the start but was branded a heretic! Glad to see people are starting to see the light now though. The art direction is worth the price of admission alone imo.

Reactions: MrS

Roberts

Honestly, while not exactly utter shit, it doesn’t look all that hot. Repetitious gameplay, slightly more shiny version of AA current gen graphics and not a lot of character.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I personally have no interest in looter games.... I’m way more excited for this!

This the game I’m getting at launch.

In my mind this is Sonys flagship title for the PS5.
Even all the use of blue in the game goes with the whole Sony Playstation colors.

Easily my most anticipated title for the PS5

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

It's pretty ballsy from Sony to put so much faith in Godfall.

Not that it looks bad. Pretty good looking slasher/looter and the character(armor) design is very fucking cool but it comes from a dev who only made strategy game Duelyst and it's upgrades/expansions.

I'm not saying they are not able to make an action game but it'll be their first shot at it if I'm understanding correctly.

Might be risky.

Hope it turns out great as I'm warming up to it more and more with every new trailer.

Last edited:

Fbh

Graphics, art direction and combat look pretty good.

For me it will really come down to how good the campaign is. If it's like Nioh where there's a solid campaign with fun levels and great boss battles I'm in. If it's like the vast majority of "looter" games where there's a short and unremarkable campaign and the entire point of the game is to replay the same limited stuff over and over to grind for loot (like Destiny, Anthem, Diablo 3 or most modern looters) I'm out.

I still think it's silly how in every video they start by describing how unique an innovative Godfall is by essentially describing Nioh

Eliciel

It looks like a fun, mindless hack 'n' slash. I never really followed the game. But now w it has my full attention.

mindless is my current issue. I need more variety and depth to the game and it's combination / combo finesse. I need more of a mixture of skill and cooldown bad-ass skills. I hope they are going to bring in some Warframe flavor, maybe the armors can implement some skills or variety combinations. The current gameplay as is looks very one-dimensional to me.

Shifty1897

Really? I saw nothing that got me excited about it.

But who knows, Maybe I'll be wrong and it will bring something fun and interesting to the table.

CitizenX

Banned
i just started playing Darksiders 3 and the combat looks pretty identical. Looks ok but i dont see anything original, as usual.

SinDelta

The fact that this is an EXCITING feature in a game, is fucking awful, gaming has turned to shit.
This. Gaming industry has never been more anti-customer.

Godfall looks like it could be good or underwhelming. That and Epic store exclusivity.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
How many points do I get for saying people were sleeping on this game since it's reveal? The hate this got was always so bizarre.

I don't know what kind of game everyone else imagined this would be.

JLMC469

Banned
How many points do I get for saying people were sleeping on this game since it's reveal? The hate this got was always so bizarre.

I don't know what kind of game everyone else imagined this would be.

It’s going to get a lot of 6’s and 7’s. Typical launch game. People will forget it ever existed 2-3 months from release.

JLMC469

Banned
So it'll score an 84 on Metacritic and be one of the PS5s best launch games? Sounds about right.

Not even close. The game has sub 70 meta written all over it.

Ghost of Tsushima is at 83% meta. How can this review better?

Last edited:
Not a console seller. Maybe pick it up on PC if it reviews decent. The AI looked terrible and the gameplay looked like a older GOW style hack n slash. Art style looked pretty though.

april6e

I also have to state that I was initially excited about this game and this recent gameplay video really turned me off.

The combat looks weightless and the enemies are much too passive. The gameplay also seems overly simplistic to the point of being a button masher with seemingly little combat variety. Maybe they chose to show footage from the beginning of the game on the easiest difficulty and maybe there are more aggressive enemies later on with more interesting combat mechanics.

They also haven't really shown us any of these "cool" weapons they keep claiming are in the game. I would like to see some Destiny Exotic/WoW Epic World Drop type weapons that have game changing effects and allow interesting builds to be created around them. I haven't seen this though from any gameplay video.

Last edited:
Godfall is not a system seller, but it could be a good game to pick up for people already getting a PS5. That would be especially true early on when there isn't a lot of next gen games out there.

On the downside, the game seems pretty paint by the numbers with nothing to make it stand out. For one thing the focus on melee only looks to be limiting the game's variety. Either this game needs to be more like Diablo, or do something different and good enough that no one cares that it's not.

turtlepowa

Banned
Godfall is not a system seller, but it could be a good game to pick up for people already getting a PS5. That would be especially true early on when there isn't a lot of next gen games out there.

On the downside, the game seems pretty paint by the numbers with nothing to make it stand out. For one thing the focus on melee only looks to be limiting the game's variety. Either this game needs to be more like Diablo, or do something different and good enough that no one cares that it's not.
I think most gamers will go for Assassin’s Creed Valhalla and/or Cyberpunk in november, even though both are also current gen.

MastaKiiLA

I lost interest with the gameplay walkthrough. I wish they'd maybe showed more of the multiplayer stuff, but we'll probably get that in the future. I'm not that big into hack and slash, but I'm not against them either. Heavenly Sword was one of my favorite games back in the day. Depending on the launch lineup, I might give it another look, but I'm planning on buying fewer games this gen, so I can spend more time on fewer titles, to chase platinums. So this will have to outdo some sturdier titles like Spider-man.

Vaelka

The game looks really button mashy and the characters look generic to me for some reason, typically I like heavily stylized content but there's just something about Godfall that makes it feel like it lacks identity for some reason.
I think that the setting looks a bit confused too like it doesn't know whether it wants to look like a sci-fi setting or a medieval one.
I think that this is why it feels a bit weird too because the armor looks overly complex, like it's trying to be stylized medieval armor but also look '' techy '' so it has lots of little parts it's just really strange.

Maybe if they have more feminine armor I might become more interested, the female character doesn't look bad necessarily but she's probably the worst when it comes to the issue with too many details. And I just like seeing that my character is a female character too based on what they wear especially in the breastplate, I mean look at the guy with the white armor for example his breastplate is clearly shaped after a male chest and abs lol.
Seeing some gear that is a bit more simple and feminine in that way might get my interest at least a little bit, it's coming out on PC so I might give it a chance if they show me some gear that I like.
I have the same issue in Destiny with the gear and I hate that I can't really tell the difference between the genders and everything feels like it was designed for male characters first and then just shoved unto the female characters....

Now that I think about it some more too, it makes sense that it's Unreal Engine because it sorta has that feel of it.
I am not a dev so I dunno why this is or if other people can sense this too, but the engine just has a certain feel to it that feels a bit wooden sorta like the characters are plastic toys that can't move their limbs fully.

But yeah, someone in the comment section on Youtube said that this looks like the type of game that launches with the console on day 1 and then gets forgotten and that's honestly what it looks like to me too.
The animations and impact of the combat sorta looks like it was made by one person trying to make their own game through Patreon or something using the Unreal Engine because it's free.
If any of you played Paragon the combat sorta looks a little like that to me.
It's fine in a MOBA I guess, but honestly the animations even looked smoother to me in Paragon from what I remember lol.

I hope that the game is good because I actually like the overall thing with the making a more stylized game, but at the same time I am not going to like it solely because of that and there's very obvious issues I am seeing.
Maybe people that just like brain-dead button mashers will have fun with it for a couple of hours, but I really hope that it's not going to be what I think it's going to be.
But just the way that the game handles it reeks of Unreal Engine in a bad way.

NT80

The gameplay looked like it could be interesting if the final version has plenty of depth, variety and challenge to the combat. It doesn't look like a next gen game at all though.

thelastword

Banned
It's great to see many of you guys are warming up to Godfall. For a while there, I thought I was the only fan of the game, which I was from first light tbh.....

Combat looks like it will have lots of upgrade paths and movesets......I know some people have issue with the AI shown, but I'm sure that was only because they wanted to showcase the combat/gameplay......If you look at the mini-boss fight, he hit the player several times on that same difficulty. So when you choose higher difficulties, I suspect some people will be crying that the A.I is too lethal.......All in all, I'm even more stoked for Godfall now. I always had it pegged as one of my launch PS5 purchases......

Camreezie

I fail to understand the marketing push this game is getting. It looks really bland and boring to me, maybe there really is nothing of this genre coming for a while.

Top Bottom