• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want to thank Microsoft and Sony for helping me save money.

Fredrik

Yup game prices get so cheap. I laugh when someone brags they got to play a huge game that took them two months to play for "free", when in reality they paid $30 to rent the game.

Meanwhile, the same game is on sale to buy and own for $8.
I laugh too, for different reasons.

I’ve still not bought a single game on Xbox Series X since launch, haven’t had to wait a day extra to play the games and I’ve played 100+ games and all the biggest releases.
I pay $5/month, $60/year. XBLGold deal.

It’s more LTTP on Playstation but I’ve only bought 3 games in 2022 and I’ve played 10+ games and several games that are still sold for $30 or more, so for me it’s still a win-win scenario.
I pay $5/month, $60/year. PSNow deal.

Thanks Jim and Phil! 😏

Tbh I see game subscriptions like music, movies and TV show streaming subscriptions. There is no real difference, except that it’s better in gaming since there is no streaming related quality loss and since the price is lower. 👍

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Thanks to them I have been playing on retro consoles and Wii U more than ever, so that's a big win for me as well. Thank you Jimbo and Phil, you are the best.

Quasicat

I laugh for a different reason. I promised my children that I would not buy any games (except for Shredder’s Revenge and Dreamlight Valley) and would focus on my backlog this year. I beat 54 games this year and am now looking at the games I’m interested in playing that are now half price. I will be buying Horizon Forbidden West for $30 instead of $60 next week. I often forget that games get big sales if I‘m only willing to wait a few months...except for Nintendo games.

Ar¢tos

Game Pass is everything.

eHBtcA6.jpg
I often wonder if P3 would be the same if made with nowadays standards... Such a crazy plot.

feynoob

Banned
You guys don't watch gameplay videos before buying the game? You know, just to be sure is something you don't find bad?
Not everyone has the same taste. A game can be good for someone, and bad for others.
Then there is the hype level, which can affect your view of the game. Fallen for that type of hype, and wasted money on a game, that I still havent played it yet. (looking at you kingdom heart collection)
A bad game is a bad game. But what others considered great isnt the same for others.

Last edited:

smbu2000

Isn't the reason you play garbage games because you choosy poorly or didn't do a research before buying?
Not everybody likes the same games no matter what reviews say. I almost bought Guardians of the Galaxy on sale for like $30-$40. It came out on GP though so I tried it there and ended up not being that interested in it after an hour or two. I was glad I didn’t buy it even though reviews were positive.
My friend really enjoyed the game, bought it and played through all of it.

GP also lets me try out games on both xbox and pc with the same subscription. This game runs better on my gaming pc, this other one plays better with a control on the big tv.

Saber

Gold Member
Not everyone has the same taste. A game can be good for someone, and bad for others.
Then there is the hype level, which can affect your view of the game. Fallen for that type of hype, and wasted money on a game, that I still havent played it yet. (looking at you kingdom heart collection)
A bad game is a bad game. But what others considered great isnt the same for others.

I am not talking about this. I'm talking about you guys doing your own research before buying the game. Not watching reviews(or what people says), just watching gameplays and walkthroughs on youtube just to know this game is what you're looking for. I did that to Elden Ring, even knowing the game is the thing I was looking for. Sometimes the game has a mechanic that is not of your taste or the gameplay is not what people claim to be. I'm looking foward to Stellar Blade and Rise of Ronin for instance, but before even buying I will watch how the game plays on the youtube. How hard is to be careful before buying games?

Last edited:

Fredrik

Not everybody likes the same games no matter what reviews say. I almost bought Guardians of the Galaxy on sale for like $30-$40. It came out on GP though so I tried it there and ended up not being that interested in it after an hour or two. I was glad I didn’t buy it even though reviews were positive.
My friend really enjoyed the game, bought it and played through all of it.

GP also lets me try out games on both xbox and pc with the same subscription. This game runs better on my gaming pc, this other one plays better with a control on the big tv.
Yeah GP is the best, try before you buy, but you don’t have to buy, and you can try on console and PC with the same save.

feynoob

Banned
I am not talking about this. I'm talking about you guys doing your own research before buying the game. Not watching reviews(or what people says), just watching gameplays and walkthroughs on youtube just to know this game is what you're looking for. I did that to Elden Ring, even knowing the game is the thing I was looking for. Sometimes the game has a mechanic that is not of your taste or the gameplay is not what people claim to be. I'm looking foward to Stellar Blade and Rise of Ronin for instance, but before even buying I will watch how the game plays on the youtube. How hard is to be careful before buying games?
I look at the gameplay before I buy it. But its hard to judge it, since some games get good once you get used to the mechanism. Or the story gets better from the middle to the end.

Sometimes a game is on sale, and I dont have time to check the gameplay. These are the times, when I make those mistakes.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
GP is literally the Netflix of gaming.
And just like Netflix it's full of all the crap you find in a gas station for $3
You do get a few good games but.. majority of it you wouldn't even bother with.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Both Sony and MS offer cheaper ways to re-up their subs for one or more years, depending on how often you game it's almost always a very good deal economically to have those.

That's been my experience over the last couple of years at least. If you're someone who only plays 2,3 games a year, then I can understand why Subs don't seem like good value.

There are no wrong ways to play games.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
What a moronic take. Not that it matters, but just from my personal perspective, this statement paints everything else you will ever say on Gaf as coming from a place of immaturity, ignorance, and stupidity.

Then he went on to call him stupid too.

OP makes the most innocuous post. Guy runs in here saying he has shit taste, and is poor and stupid. Imagine being that much of a cunt. lmao.

JayK47

For me, subscription services make me very likely to quit a game if it doesn't grab me in the first 30 minutes or so. I remember deleting Vampyr after a few cheap deaths in the first hour or so. It was free on Epic and I decided to give it another try, and it wound up being one of my favorite games. Subscription is great for some. I imagine if you only had money for a single system, say an Xbox Series S, it would be a good value.

tibia

Neo Member
As an old-school console gamer I dont find value in subscription services.

Similar to a couple of others. I check on news and watch videos of potentially interesting new games. But as a slightly busy adult, I will only finish a few per year. This year I finished Elden Ring, Pokemon Arceus, Pokemon Scarlett, Demons Souls. Also bought Star Ocean, Dragon Quest Treasures, Ff7 Crisis Core. Without energy or time to commit to games like Horizon and God of War, theres no way I'm putting time into indie games developed in Timmy's basement, or even a game like Hades (wasted money).

So, owning games is huge for a picky player like me who wants to own games i enjoy and re-play it over the years. I dont claim and have never played the monthly "free" ps+ games.

On the other hand, im impressed some folks have the energy to keep trying out new games. That sounds extremely exhausting.

Last edited:
more than anything, it's the fact that hardly any games currently being released, either on game pass or otherwise, actually interest me that continues to save me money this gen...

The way MS is doing it (All 1st party day1) can't produce AAA quality reliably. The Sony strategy makes a franchise prove itself in the market and also gives you a large library.
Fortza 5, gears 5, halo infinite, soon be starfield and more are AAA games being produced under the gamepass model...also AAA games aren't inherently more valuable than AA or inidies. Give me 5 norcos > a colistol protocol anyday. AAA games can be superb, hence elden ring, but also are the least innovative of the bunch.

What is the value of your library in a subscription service after a year? How about the value of your physical library after a year?
3 full-priced games that turn out to not be your jam is worth an entire year of GP. There have been a half-dozen games this year alone that I was excited for until I tried it. Take Hardspace: Ship Breaker for example, I was absolutely certain this was going to be my jam.........until I played it. Great game for certain people, just not for me.

And at the end of the day I'll buy the game at a discount if it's a must-own.

nocsi

3 full-priced games that turn out to not be your jam is worth an entire year of GP. There have been a half-dozen games this year alone that I was excited for until I tried it. Take Hardspace: Ship Breaker for example, I was absolutely certain this was going to be my jam.........until I played it. Great game for certain people, just not for me.

And at the end of the day I'll buy the game at a discount if it's a must-own.
Sell it. How do I retrieve my value from subscription services?

ByWatterson

I really love Game Pass, but I think Sony's happy medium between GP and the ownership model is probably the best for consumers and platforms going into the future.

Such a model only works if you continue to create must-have, can't-wait content. Which is what Microsoft is missing, and there isn't much indication that they'll be able to start releasing 2-3 GOTY candidates per year, the way Sony seems to in their sleep.

I don’t know what’s worth your time but games I’ve finished this year on GP include:
- Weird West
- Hitman 2 & 3 (in Hitman trilogy)
- Plague Tale Requiem
- Total War Warhammer 3
- Signalis

All of those are full length, then you have shorter games like Shredder’s Revenge, Infernax or Immortality.

I don’t see what this has to do with my point though, if I had little free time I’d cut on the posting before cutting on the playtime.
So this is kind of the problem, isn't it? Hitman III is two years old, I already got it while it was on sale for like $30. Signalis is an indie game, it doesn't cost the full $60-70 - I bought it for $20 on Switch and played it. The reason I haven't played Plague Tale Requiem yet is because it doesn't seem particularly fun. Weird West (currently on sale for $20) I probably would have tried out if I had Gamepass. Total War I wouldn't have. So altogether we have maybe the monetary equivalent of one full game from this Gamepass subscription, and that's including a game that came out last year. This seems like a terrible deal.

feynoob

Banned
So this is kind of the problem, isn't it? Hitman III is two years old, I already got it while it was on sale for like $30. Signalis is an indie game, it doesn't cost the full $60-70 - I bought it for $20 on Switch and played it. The reason I haven't played Plague Tale Requiem yet is because it doesn't seem particularly fun. Weird West (currently on sale for $20) I probably would have tried out if I had Gamepass. Total War I wouldn't have. So altogether we have maybe the monetary equivalent of one full game from this Gamepass subscription, and that's including a game that came out last year. This seems like a terrible deal.
Have you checked the entire year drop list?
Check all those, and calculate the price.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I cannot think of 5 full-length games released in the last year on Gamepass that I would actually be interested in playing. Can you?

No one can think of 5 games that *YOU* specifically would like. Because you can always change your criteria and/or make arbitrary reasons like "it doesn't look fun". And it's not up to us to make you play those 5 games.

But as you must have noticed by now, a lot of other people found 5 or more games that they had fun with.

For shits and giggles here are *some* of the games released in game pass in 2022 I personally played and enjoyed. This is by no means the full list.

- Mass Effect Legendary Collection
- Spelunky 2
- Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Anniversary
- Hitman Trilogy
- Windjammers 2
- Edge of Eternity
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Tunic
- Norco
- MLB The Show '22
- Life is Strange: True Colors
- Trek to Yomi
- Sniper Elite 5
- As Dusk Falls
- What Remains of Edith Finch next-gen upgrade
- Immortality
- Metal Hellsinger
- Deathloop
- Scorn
- Persona 5 Royal
- A Plague Tale: Requiem
- Signalis
- Pentiment
- Somerville
- High on Life

My math might be a little off but I'm kinda sure that's more than 5.

---

Similarly, I'm sure people on the PS+ ecosystem enjoyed a lot of games there as well.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Here is all 2022 gamepass drop.
Part 1

DateGamePlatform
January 4GorogoaConsole, PC, Cloud
January 4OlijaConsole, PC, Cloud
January 4The PedestrianConsole, PC, Cloud
January 6EmbrConsole, PC, Cloud
January 6Mass Effect Legendary Edition (EA Play)Console, PC
January 6Outer WildsConsole, PC, Cloud
January 13Spelunky 2Console, PC
January 13The AnacrusisConsole, PC, Cloud
January 18Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Anniversary EditionConsole, PC, Cloud
January 18Nobody Saves The WorldConsole, PC, Cloud
January 20Death's DoorConsole, PC, Cloud
January 20Hitman TrilogyConsole, PC, Cloud
January 20PupperazziConsole, PC, Cloud
January 20Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six ExtractionConsole, PC, Cloud
January 20Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six SiegePC
January 20Windjammers 2Console, PC, Cloud
January 27Taiko no Tatsujin: The Drum MasterConsole, PC
February 3ContrastConsole, Cloud
February 3DreamscaperConsole, PC, Cloud
February 3Telling LiesConsole, PC, Cloud
February 5Peggle Nights (EA Play)PC
February 10Besiege (Xbox Game Preview)Console, PC, Cloud
February 10CrossfireX Campaign (Operation Catalyst)Console
February 10Edge of EternityConsole, PC, Cloud
February 10Skul: The Hero SlayerConsole, PC, Cloud
February 10The Last Kids on Earth and the Staff of DoomConsole, PC, Cloud
February 14Ark: Survival Evolved - Ultimate Survivor EditionConsole, PC, Cloud
February 14InfernaxConsole, PC, Cloud
February 15Mass Effect Legendary EditionCloud
February 17Madden NFL 22 (EA Play)Console, PC
February 17Total War: Warhammer IIIPC
February 22Roboquest (Game Preview)PC
February 24Dragon Ball FighterZPC
February 24Galactic Civilizations IIIPC
February 24Super Mega Baseball 3 (EA Play)Console
February 28Alice: Madness Returns (EA Play)PC
March 1FAR: Changing TidesConsole, PC, Cloud
March 1Microsoft Flight SimulatorCloud
March 3Lightning Returns:Final Fantasy XIIIConsole, PC
March 10Kentucky Route Zero: TV EditionConsole, PC, Cloud
March 10Lawn Mowing SimulatorXbox One
March 10Marvel's Guardians Of The GalaxyConsole, PC, Cloud
March 10Young SoulsConsole, PC, Cloud
March 16TunicConsole, PC, Cloud
March 16Paradise KillerConsole, PC, Cloud
March 17ShreddersSeries X, Series S, PC
March 17The Dungeon Of NaheulbeukConsole, PC, Cloud
March 22Kraken Academy!!Console, PC, Cloud
March 22Tainted Grail: ConquestConsole, PC, Cloud
March 22Zero Escape: The Nonary GamesConsole, PC, Cloud
March 24A Memoir BlueConsole, PC, Cloud
March 24NorcoPC
March 24F1 2021 (EA Play)Console
March 29Crusader Kings 3Series X, Series S
March 31Weird WestConsole, PC, Cloud
April 5Cricket 22Console, Cloud
April 5MLB The Show 22Console, Cloud
April 7Chinatown Detective AgencyConsole, PC, Cloud
April 7Dragon Age 2 (EA Play)Cloud
April 7Plants Vs. Zombies Garden Warfare (EA Play)Cloud
April 7Star Wars Squadrons (EA Play)Cloud
April 12Life is Strange: True ColorsConsole, PC, Cloud
April 12Panzer Corps 2PC
April 12The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet Of ChaosPC
April 14Lost In Random (EA Play)Console, PC, Cloud
April 19F1 2021Cloud
April 19Need For Speed Hot Pursuit RemasteredCloud
April 19Turnip Boy Commits Tax EvasionConsole, PC, Cloud
April 267 Days To DieConsole, PC, Cloud
April 26Research and DestroyConsole, PC
April 28BugsnaxConsole, PC, Cloud
April 28NBA 2K22Console
April 28UnsouledConsole, TBD
May 3Loot RiverConsole, PC, Cloud
May 5Citizen SleeperConsole, PC, Cloud
May 5Trek to YomiConsole, PC, Cloud
May 10Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair Anniversary EditionConsole, PC, Cloud
May 10Eiyuden Chronicle: RisingConsole, PC, Cloud
May 10This War Of Mine: Final CutConsole, PC, Cloud
May 12NHL 22 (EA Play)Console
May 17Her StoryPC
May 17Jurassic World Evolution 2Console, PC, Cloud
May 17Little Witch In The Woods (Game Preview)Console, PC
May 17Umurangi Generation Special EditionConsole, PC, Cloud
May 19Farming Simulator 22Console, PC, Cloud
May 19Vampire SurvivorsPC
May 24Floppy KnightsConsole, PC, Cloud
May 24Hardspace: ShipbreakerPC
May 26Sniper Elite 5Console, PC
May 27Cricket 22PC
May 27Pac-Man Museum+Console, PC, Cloud
June 1For Honor: Marching Fire EditionConsole, PC, Cloud
June 2Ninja Gaiden: Master CollectionConsole, PC
June 7Assassin's Creed OriginsConsole, PC, Cloud
June 7ChorusConsole, PC, Cloud
June 7Disc RoomConsole, PC, Cloud
June 7Spacelines From The Far OutConsole, PC
June 16TNMT: Shredder's RevengeConsole, PC, Cloud
June 17OmoriConsole, PC, Cloud

feynoob

Banned
part 2

June 21Shadowrun Trilogy: Console EditionConsole, Cloud
June 21Total War: Three KingdomsPC
June 23FIFA 22Console, PC
June 23Naraka BladepointConsole, PC, Cloud
June 30House FlipperConsole, Cloud
July 1Far Cry 5Console, PC, Cloud
July 5Last Call BBSPC
July 5Solasta: Crown of the MagisterConsole, PC
July 5Yakuza 0Console, PC, Cloud
July 5Yakuza KiwamiConsole, PC, Cloud
July 5Yakuza Kiwami 2Console, PC, Cloud
July 7DJMax Respect VConsole, PC, Cloud
July 7Matchpoint: Tennis ChampionshipsConsole, PC, Cloud
July 7Road 96Console, PC, Cloud
July 12Garden StoryConsole, PC
July 14Escape AcademyConsole, PC, Cloud
July 14My Friend Peppa PigConsole, PC, Cloud
July 14OverwhelmPC
July 14PAW Patrol The Movie: Adventure City CallsConsole, PC, Cloud
July 14PowerWash SimulatorConsole, PC, Cloud
July 19As Dusk FallsConsole, PC, Cloud
July 19Watch Dogs 2Console, PC, Cloud
July 21MotoGP 22Console, PC, Cloud
July 21Sins of a Solar Empire: RebellionPC
July 21Torment: Tides of NumeneraConsole, Cloud
July 28What Remains Of Edith FinchSeries X, Series S
July 29InsideConsole, PC, Cloud
August 2Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon WildlandsConsole, PC, Cloud
August 4Shenzhen I/OPC
August 4Turbo Golf RacingSeries X, Series S, PC, Cloud
August 9Two Point CampusConsole, PC, Cloud
August 11Cooking SimulatorConsole, PC, Cloud
August 11Expeditions: RomePC
August 11Offworld Trading CompanyPC
August 16Coffee TalkConsole, PC, Cloud
August 18An Elder Scrolls Legend: BattlespirePC
August 18Quake 4PC
August 18Return to Castle WolfensteinPC
August 18The Elder Scrolls Adventures: RedguardPC
August 18Wolfenstein 3DPC
August 23Death StrandingPC
August 23Midnight Fight ExpressConsole, PC, Cloud
August 25ExapunksPC
August 25Opus: Echo of Starsong – Full Bloom EditionConsole, PC
August 30Commandos 3 – HD RemasterConsole, PC
August 30ImmortalityXbox Series X|S, PC, Cloud
August 30Immortals Fenyx RisingConsole, PC, Cloud
August 30TinykinConsole, PC
September 1GRID LegendsConsole, PC
September 6Disney Dreamlight Valley (Early Access)Console, PC, Cloud
September 6Opus MagnumPC
September 6Train Sim World 3Console, PC
September 13Ashes of the Singularity: EscalationPC
September 13DC League of Super-Pets: The Adventures of Krypto and AceConsole, PC, Cloud
September 14Amazing Cultivation SimulatorPC
September 14You Suck At ParkingConsole, PC, Cloud
September 15Assassin's Creed OdysseyConsole, PC
September 15Danganropa V3 Anniversary EditionConsole, PC
September 15FUGA: Melodies Of SteelConsole, PC
September 15Metal: HellsingerSeries X|S, PC
September 15Ni No Kuni RemasteredConsole, PC, Cloud
September 20DeathloopConsole, PC, Cloud
September 20Hardspace ShipbreakerSeries X, Series S
September 22Beacon PinesConsole, PC, Cloud
September 22Slime Rancher 2Series X|S, PC, Cloud
September 22SpiderHeckConsole, PC
September 23Prodeus 1.0Console, PC, Cloud
September 27Grounded (Full Version)Console, PC, Cloud
September 27MoonscarsConsole, PC, Cloud
September 29Despot's GameConsole, PC
September 29Let's Build A ZooConsole, PC, Cloud
September 29ValheimPC
September 30Paw Patrol Grand PrixConsole, PC, Cloud
October 4Chivalry 2Console, PC, Cloud
October 6Medieval DynastySeries X, Series S
October 6The Walking Dead: The Complete First SeasonPC
October 6The Walking Dead: Season TwoPC
October 11Coral IslandPC
October 11Costume QuestConsole, Cloud
October 11EvilleConsole, PC
October 13Dyson Sphere ProgramPC
October 14ScornSeries X, Series S, PC, Cloud
October 18A Plague Tale: RequiemSeries X, Series S, PC, Cloud
October 20Amnesia: CollectionConsole, PC, Cloud
October 20Amnesia: RebirthConsole, PC, Cloud
October 20Phantom AbyssSeries X, Series S, PC, Cloud
October 20SomaConsole, PC, Cloud
October 21Persona 5: RoyalConsole, PC, Cloud
October 27Frog Detective: The Entire MysteryPC
October 27Gunfire RebornConsole, PC, Cloud
October 27SignalisConsole, PC, Cloud
November 1The Legend Of TiandingConsole, PC, Cloud
November 1The Walking Dead: A New FrontierPC
November 1The Walking Dead: MichonnePC
November 3Ghost SongConsole, PC, Cloud
November 8Football Manager 2023PC
November 8Football Manager 2023 ConsoleConsole, PC, Cloud
November 8Return To Monkey IslandConsole, PC, Cloud
November 10Vampire SurvivorsConsole
November 15PentimentConsole, PC, Cloud
November 15SomervilleConsole, PC
November 17Dune: Spice Wars (Game Preview)PC
November 17Ghostlore (Game Preview)PC
November 17LapinConsole, PC, Cloud
November 17NorcoConsole, Cloud
November 22Battlefield 2042Console
November 22Gungrave G.O.R.EConsole, PC, Cloud
November 29Insurgency: SandstormConsole, Cloud
November 29Soccer StoryConsole, PC, Cloud
November 30Warhammer 40k: DarktidePC
December 1EastwardConsole, PC, Cloud
December 1Totally Reliable Delivery ServicePC
December 1The Walking Dead: The Final SeasonConsole, PC, Cloud
December 6Hello Neighbor 2Console, PC, Cloud
December 6LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker SagaConsole, PC, Cloud
December 8Chained EchoesConsole, PC, Cloud
December 8Metal: HellsingerXbox One
December 12Riot Games - Game Pass BenefitsPC, Mobile
December 13High On LifeConsole, PC, Cloud
December 13Potion CraftConsole, PC
December 15Rainbow Billy: The Curse Of The LeviathanConsole, PC, Cloud

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I do not understand how grown adults have so much free time and so little money that subscription services make sense. I actually play through maybe 4 full-length new release games per year because there aren't actually that many games released in a given year that are compelling enough to warrant devoting the time to. If the choice is playing some trash on Gamepass or going out drinking with friends I'll choose the latter.
Your kids don't want to try anything different? Your significant other? Your friends?

Top Bottom