• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

i wanna get into RTS games but don't know where to start

bitbydeath

Start here.
images

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
read up on the story of Starcraft 1 and then go ahead and play the entire Starcraft 2 experience. Sure the RTS gameplay is wonderful but that game packs quite an amazing story and it also has some pretty insane cinematics.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Firstly state what style of games you like first before we can say.

For example, SC2 is probably the best you can get today but I can't stand playing it as I don't like fantasy style graphics like SC and WC. I want modern day military.

JTCx

Games with healthy playerbase are starcraft 2, cnc remastered, age of empires 2 definitive edition, and company of heroes 2.

sainraja

WarCraft 3: Remastered would be a good one to start with. It doesn't put you in control of a massive army (not small, but it is manageable) and yes, StarCraft 2 as well. Good ones if you haven't yet explored RTS.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Allow me to exercise my lameness:

There are multiple types of RTS.

Some require resource gathering, some don't, some have some other form of resource. Some are full 3D, some are partially 3D, some - some of the very best - are 2D. I'll suggest.... 3 (that number may change) games which I guess represent a good spread.

1) World in Conflict.
An descendent of the superb 'Ground Control', this game came out in 2007 or something but is arguably to this day the best looking RTS. It doesn't involve base building or resource gathering - you just [augment your steadily building] requisition points by holding key points - so the combat is pretty fluid. The visuals - fully 3D and gorgeous, full of amazing effects - are fantastic, and the gameplay is everything you might expect from a third iteration of a gaming vision. This is without doubt the single greatest 'modern warfare' simulation RTS out there.

2) Age of Empires 2: The Conquerors Expansion
This is the gold standard high water mark for RTS gameplay. Get the original version if you can - Ensemble's scripting is far superior to any remakes. You just can't go wrong with this game - it includes the OG AoE2, Age of Kings - it offers endless replayability and some really good campaigns.

Edit: the below gif is of a remastered faction, i think, it was the best i could find. Real game looks basically identical apart from building and tree sprites.

WIKY.gif

3) Homeworld 1+2 Remastered
You have to play these games. I believe they're on steam in HD versions... but they're just perfection. Visually stunning, great gameplay, amazing music, epic stories, they're not super replayable but they are just titans of the genre. Basic resource gathering that carries over between missions powers a robust gameplay model.

BleakDisguisedBoutu-size_restricted.gif

4) Anno 1440/1800
You have to play this Austrian series, and I have to recommend 1800 because it's the most recent and more accessible gameplay model. It's also gorgeous. The reason I include 1440 here is because it's almos equally accessible, and a lot of fun. Older titles are less polished. This game brings resource gathering to a new level with really complex production trees and labour management - it's pretty much the whole game. So only play this if you're into that stuff.

WebbedQuerulousAndeancat-size_restricted.gif

5) Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom
This is the Impressions City Builder I choose. Caesar 3 is probably the best, but this is the most polished, beautiful, and controlled. Set in ancient China, you build cities for independently acting AI controlled sprites that move around, take jobs, complete tasks, and work together to give you a a) pretty city that is b) economically self-perpetuating. It's a really, really, really fun game type that relies a lot on things like city layout planning and such.

R800x0

6) Majesty 2.
Last but not least (turns out I did 6) this is an INCREDIBLE, hugely underrated RTS game with really unique gameplay. Think of this as being the dude who hands out WoW's quests. You build a town, build guild halls, they spawn AI heroes who wander around responding to your banners (quests you can place on locations, enemies, etc) for gold, experience, which they pump back into the economic buildings of your town (buying potions at marketplaces), which your taxman collects income from for your war chest. You also have god powers on cooldown that you can use to help your town along. It's an amazing gameplay system. You can carry your heroes over into the next mission (for a cost) and by the end of the day you can have high level heroes walking around in epic lootz kicking serious ass. It's also a really challenging game.

Edit: you can set how much gold those banners offer for reward, you need to put up more to attract more/better heroes, this is really cool, especially when you dump 10k gold on a boss and watch every hero and their pet marmot march to their deaths trying to get the duckets.

ps. this is like the only way I could get images of the game, google search got nuthin'

EDIT:

7) Rise of Legends

Just wanna add this in, I posted it on the next page but I wanna let it be more visible. I mentioned this game early - a spin-off to Rise of Nations. They've got some really funky additions to the gameplay, 3 fantasy races with drastically different playing styles, flying units (flying trade carts for example), a cool way of building cities, full 3D and some really nicely detailed units, a pretty fun campaign plot with tons of voice acting, just all in all a really cool riff on the classic RoN formula.

... this video is pretty long , and only really focuses on one race (the ''Vinci"), but it's pretty great. Skip along to the final 3rd or 4th of the video to see his settlement already established, but the extended build-up part is pretty instructive too - if a little slow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tschumi

how is total war Warhammer 2? that seems to be the most popular RTS right now
it's really good, not really an RTS though, more turn based empire sim with real time battles.. It's fantastic, no doubt about it. I didn't include any Total War games in my big post (#13) because i don't think they quite count.

Post sequel for online RTS games:

Starcraft 2.
SC 1 was the ultimate E Sport for ages, but SC 2 is better, looks better. I wouldn't look any further than this.

Bolivar687

Banned
how is total war Warhammer 2? that seems to be the most popular RTS right now

It's actually quite excellent and not a bad starting point at all. I know some people might quibble with the classification but it doesn't really stretch the meaning of the genre any further than some other games do. It's really an RTS game that pretends to be a grand strategy.

Starcraft II is free so you can start playing campaign missions and checking out multiplayer right now.

I love C&C Remastered but Tiberian Dawn can be kind of hard only a few missions in. But the presentation of the remastered visuals and soundtrack together make for such an awesome experience. The missions are also kind of bite sized too, with a lot of depth hidden within its simplicity.

Lanrutcon

AoE2, DoW, Warcraft 3, Total Annihilation...all sexy as hell. Starcraft 2 is overrated as fuck.

Edit: Shit, forgot Company of Heroes. Never played 2, because it was a CPU killer when it came out.

gears tactics, easy to understand and fun

Easy there. This thread is already completely out of control with the definition of RTS, but let's at least keep to the RT part.

Last edited:

Tschumi

WarCraft 3: Remastered would be a good one to start with. It doesn't put you in control of a massive army (not small, but it is manageable) and yes, StarCraft 2 as well. Good ones if you haven't yet explored RTS.
better yet: track down a cracked torrent of warcraft 3 UNremastered :D *thumbsup*

diffusionx

Gold Member
AoE2, DoW, Warcraft 3, Total Annihilation...all sexy as hell. Starcraft 2 is overrated as fuck.

Edit: Shit, forgot Company of Heroes. Never played 2, because it was a CPU killer when it came out.

Easy there. This thread is already completely out of control with the definition of RTS, but let's at least keep to the RT part.

On this forum, Civilization 6 is a RTS apparently

Tschumi

Not one mention of Rise of Nations?

iu

For shame GAF.

If you want to go medieval, Stronghold and Stronghold Crusader. Unfortunately the other entries are burning dumpster fires.

iu

I loved rise of nations, but going back to it now the gameplay doesn't seem quite so buttery smooth.. rise of legends was a really fantastic spinoff

Stronghold was great, i loved the original the most.. "Grrreetings, Lord Tschumi."

nkarafo

If you are going to play Starcraft, avoid Starcraft 2. The single player gameplay sucks. Stick to the original or remaster.

Tschumi

Red alert is the best for starters you basically take your time and build up defense structures and the enemy will trickle in enemies hopelessly to die to them. Then you just build up a sea of tanks then just ctrl group 1 and steamroll them. Then realize it's been 2 hours.

This is a good call. To be honest i see people putting up c&c, but i personally always thought c&c was a bit outdated, especially after red alert 2 came out.

SinDelta

Age of Mythology has one of the best stories and campaigns in any RTS period. Amazing game that perfected the Age of Empires formula. (Age of Mythology DE should be in next in pipeline given Age of Empires 1,2, and 3 have gotten DE.)

Galactic Battlegrounds is like Star Wars but Age of Empires.

You want pure distilled awesome? Command and Conquer Red Alert 2 (2 Remastered should be in the pipeline considering how 1 Remastered has done.)

Last edited:
Starcraft is definitely NOT good for beginners. I would say C&C and WC3 to start. If starcraft maybe Starcraft II.

It was my first RTS at 11 years old and I remember it being pretty simple to learn. It’s why I fell in love with the genre. I dunno. I definitely found it more accessible than C&C.

mcz117chief

1) World in Conflict.
An ancestor of the superb 'Ground Control', this game came out in 2007 or something but is arguably to this day the best looking RTS. It doesn't involve base building or resource gathering - you just build up requisition points by holding key points - so the combat is pretty fluid. The visuals - fully 3D and gorgeous, full of amazing effects - are fantastic, and the gameplay is everything you might expect from a third iteration of a gaming vision. This is without doubt the single greatest 'modern warfare' simulation RTS out there.
Just a little nitpick, you gain requisition gradually regardless of how many victory points you have. The ony modifier is that you gain it faster the more you are left to receive from the total pool of 6000 (in a standard game) so basically the more units you got the slower it will go until it stops.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Age of Mythology has one of the best stories and campaigns in any RTS period. Amazing game that perfected the Age of Empires formula. (Age of Mythology DE should be in next in pipeline given Age of Empires 1,2, and 3 have gotten DE.)

You want pure distilled awesome? Command and Conquer Red Alert 2 (2 Remastered should be in the pipeline considering how 1 Remastered has done.)
Age of Mythology is probably the perfect game in everything it does, just doesn't quite do everything AoE2 did for me, personally speaking.. beautiful achievement of a game. I'm really mourning that iteration of ensemble the more i think about this thread...

Just a little nitpick, you gain requisition gradually regardless of how many victory points you have. The ony modifier is that you gain it faster the more you are left to receive from the total pool of 6000 (in a standard game) so basically the more units you got the slower it will go until it stops.

Great input, ta much :) how great is that freakin game

*if one existed I'd link a gif of Frasier saying "thanks, Niles, for keeping me grounded"*

mcz117chief

Great input, ta much :) how great is that freakin game

*if one existed I'd link a gif of Frasier saying "thanks, Niles, for keeping me grounded"*
No problem, mate. I used to play World in Conflict competitively and was among the top 100 players sometimes (between 95-150 mostly).

I believe company of heroes 2 is free on Steam now, sega anniversary or something.

Not anymore it seems, and you can only play as 2 factions, the others cost around 13€ a pop (or 20€ in a bundle for Western armies), which is just too damn high imo.

Last edited:

dwish

StarCraft 2 Campaigns.
I play alot of the multiplayer still but its really unforgiving for beginners, even with the skill based matchmaking. If you're interested in that I recommend watching some newbie tutorials on Youtube first.

Yeah heaps of people say this game is perfection, i tried a bit of it, certainly a cool formula but i couldn't get into it. Might have been the mission design.. I'm sure it's epic in multiplayer

yup. Supreme Commander is the apex of real time strategy design. Its the very peak of what rts can be. But its certainly not for begginers, thats a game you play after you eat strategy games for breakfast

Starcraft is definitely NOT good for beginners. I would say C&C and WC3 to start. If starcraft maybe Starcraft II.

What do you mean ? Because its old ? The original ?

teezzy

Banned

Galactic Battlegrounds is an awesome start. Nice to be familiar with the IP/setting going in, and the tutorial is top tier.

Awesome, awesome, awesome game. Doesn't even need the widescreen mod imho.

Top Bottom