• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Used to Worry About Hot Days

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
"This is for the players".

jet engine GIF

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
stop being a cheap ass madafaka and buy an air conditioner

You don't own an A/C? Should you really be buying $500 consoles?

Dude is in Canada. I doubt his lack of A/C is because he can't afford it. It's just not incredibly useful around here, like it'd be something you'd need maybe 3 days out of the year.

LordOfChaos

And then all of a sudden it dawned on me, the PS5 was completely silent. ZERO noise. What alien tech is this???? It had no noise, as if I was playing in depths of winter.

Today will be a high of 37, and yes, it will be tough on me, but not my PS5. It laughs at such heat. Bring it on it says.

I don't know about you, but I'm impressed.

I'm 2% bummed about this, I thought my PS5 was also completely silent at launch, but after just a month in a very clean space, and I think after that major update, I can audibly hear the fan from couch distance even on days not this hot. Was disappointing when I started to hear the fan noise.

I guess they are doing RMAs for this, but I've only had it for 3 months, guess I could wait till the end of the standard warranty and try especially if there's a minor revision by then.

Canada broke some sorta heat record recently 115 F.
We hit 103 F the other day and A/C went Brrrrrrr
The Series X is quiet but it does indeed still put out a bunch of heat. I was more worried about my big screen TV. I'm not what the temp range of a Q70 is.

Xeaker

And then all of a sudden it dawned on me, the PS5 was completely silent. ZERO noise. What alien tech is this???? It had no noise, as if I was playing in depths of winter.
The PS4 was completely silent on release date.... It only happened later that it became louder when games were more demanding.

Nezzeroth

Not going to lie, I used to worry about this a lot with the PS4. To the point where I avoided playing some games like RDR2 in the summer because the fans would go crazy and I thought it would end up breaking the console (not to mention it was annoying as hell).

Thankfully this is not an issue with my PS5.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

kiphalfton

It was 110° F - 115° F outside yesterday, and I have no AC in my apartment. Was sweating like a pig, sitting in only my boxers, playing Nier Automata on my PC connected to my TV. I have been a bit worried about my PC these past couple days, since it wasn't cheap to build (5600x with a RTX 3080).

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Happy for you. It's been hot where I live as well and my ps4pro is almost as loud as a vacuum cleaner. Luckily I use headphones. Enjoy your gaming

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The PS4 was completely silent on release date.... It only happened later that it became louder when games were more demanding.
BULL FUCKING SHIT

I bought mine in early February 2014 with Killzone: Shadow Fall and it was loud since the very day one and my friend bought it like a month from that and it was also really loud. If I would have classic X360 I would be probably ok with that, but going from PS3S and X360S it was really bad experience.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I have always wondered how close people play to their consoles.
I sit about 15 feet from mine and while I have a loud ass atmos speaker setup, I never have that very loud at all

The loudest my consoles ever get is the start up sound/chime/beep.

I have an OG ps4, PS4 pro, PS5, and all the xboxs...I never hear them while sitting in my chair.

My pc rigs are WAY louder than any of my consoles.

im actually surprised at how well built the ps4 is to last. the thing can get loud but its still going after 7 years of heavy use. fan can be annoyingly loud but its doings its job to keep that thing alive.

my ps5 has quite an audible coil whine but its a sound thats easily drowned out. its a big improvement but was a little disappointed about the buzzing coil whine. hope sony iron that out on a revision.

Last edited:

Unknown?

It was 110° F - 115° F outside yesterday, and I have no AC in my apartment. Was sweating like a pig, sitting in only my boxers, playing Nier Automata on my PC connected to my TV. I have been a bit worried about my PC these past couple days, since it wasn't cheap to build (5600x with a RTX 3080).
Holy crap! That's too hot for no AC. Go to the nearest mall and sit around for free AC! One day to save electricity I stayed at the local mall for 8 hours with friends.

Last edited:

Neff

I remember summer meaning my enjoyment would be hampered by PS4 noise, and there were certain games which I could forget about playing because they pushed the fan to excessively intrusive volume.

PS5 says 'play what you like, I'll just be over here deep in quiet thought'.

K' Dash

well, to be fair that monstrosity takes half the living room with it, that's how it stays cool, not alien tech, you can clearly see the compromises made to make it silent... besides the coil whine of course.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Yeah it's a pretty fantastic machine! Whether i play it for 20 minutes or 3 hrs, i never hear anything from it in terms of fan noise, coil whine, etc. I've had it since December, and it's always been that way.

I feel bad for those who have one that have the coil whine issue, and that sucks and i hope Sony rectifies that. If it were me, i'd keep on them until they did. I will say though that there are absolutely 100% systems out there that are quiet. I can only guess that the multiple different fans Sony uses are the culprit for why some have sound issues and some don't.

R6Rider

Gold Member
The AC cool air doesn't even reach my gaming room in my apt so if it's really hot out I tend to avoid this room unless I want lots of fans going.

Tschumi

I'm 2% bummed about this, I thought my PS5 was also completely silent at launch, but after just a month in a very clean space, and I think after that major update, I can audibly hear the fan from couch distance even on days not this hot. Was disappointing when I started to hear the fan noise.

I guess they are doing RMAs for this, but I've only had it for 3 months, guess I could wait till the end of the standard warranty and try especially if there's a minor revision by then.

Suspicious GIF by SVU

Do you even have a ps5?

LordOfChaos

Suspicious GIF by SVU

Do you even have a ps5?

That's my video. And a number of people have less than completely silent PS5s, why so sus

I'd RMA it, but like I said, it's just 2% annoying that I got an audible one one instead of a silent one like OP and I like the system otherwise. I'll just wait till closer to the end of the warranty period.

Last edited:

Tschumi

That's my video. And a number of people have less than completely silent PS5s, why so sus

I'd RMA it, but like I said, it's just 2% annoying that I got an audible one one instead of a silent one like OP and I like the system otherwise. I'll just wait till closer to the end of the warranty period.
Wuz juz messin

I used to dread hot days, and wonder about my poor video game equipment if it could survive, or will the fans run so loud, that my neighbors will be banging on my door. I used to question, whether I could play or not. I don't want my expensive console to fail.

LOL I would hate to have neighbors like yours if that really is the case. I own a BMW M3 and that car's (stock) exhaust is loud as fuck (especially when cold starting) and my neighbors dont say shit.

kiphalfton

And then there's the broke MFers who can't afford A/C where its useful.

'cries'

I think part of the problem, besides money, is availability. I haven't really gone out since the heat wave started a couple days ago, but I can only imagine Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, etc. are out of air conditioners. Barely any of the apartments have AC units here, and each apartment complex probably has 200+ units. Since it's densely populated area, not even worth going out to check (also doesn't help that in my apartment complex for instance, they also only allow portable units, which cuts down my available options considerably since I can't use a window unit).

bitbydeath

Calling BS. If you can hear it at couch distance then why does your video take place right up against it?

Top Bottom