• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

i think we can all agree 2022 is by far Square Enix's worst year

kunonabi

It's amazing how bad Square Ebnix has been this year
  • Sold Eidos Division for a fraction of what they could
  • Released only shitty to average games this year
  • Investing into the failed NFT Market
  • Delayed Forspoken when they could have released in 2022 with few games to compete with
They somehow managed to be worse than Konami
As a long time Konami fan I'd kill for a year like this one.

Square has been a complete shit factory the last several years outside of the occasional gem. This is by no means their worst year as hit or miss as it is.

Merkades

The only thing I can agree on is these "we can all" and "can we all" threads are, without exception, stupid. Is this post sarcastic? Because if so it is over my head. I don't disagree with everything the OP says, but still, it is a dumb thread.

dacuk

Final Fantasy is the only thing keeping them afloat. Terrible NFT business practices, consistent failure after failure, selling off their valuable western franchises, all of that. Even Konami at least has their BEMANI division which still produces amazing rhythm games... What does Square have besides Final Fantasy? Octopath and Triangle Strategy? Great games, admitteldly but not enough to make up for the consistent failures like babylon's fall, chocobo GP, this new NFT trash they're working on, Forspoken, Harvestella (yea bet none of yall motherfuckers remembered that one) etc etc etc....

25 years ago they were consistently cooking up masterpieces and were gearing up to release FF7 (in it's full, uncompromised 3 disc glory, none of that 3 part shit either)

Can Sony just purchase them already and set them straight?
It is quite obvious that you do not have a Switch...

LrUYnsZ.gif

LOL

It's amazing how bad Square Ebnix has been this year
  • Sold Eidos Division for a fraction of what they could
  • Released only shitty to average games this year
  • Investing into the failed NFT Market
  • Delayed Forspoken when they could have released in 2022 with few games to compete with
They somehow managed to be worse than Konami

Tell me you didn't play their games this year without telling me you didn't play their games this year.

This is some big ol' bullshit, mate.

TheMan

As someone else pointed out they did put out some good stuff like triangle strategy, but yeah the quality of shit they publish is wildly inconsistent. A far cry from their golden years when the square soft logo practically guaranteed high production values

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
They made so many stupid decisions just for us to think they got it... just for them end up releasing a stupid NFT game nobody will care about if it's not to feel sorry and laugh about them...

I think the lesson is clear: Stop trying to make everything bigger and to exploit trends "just because", keep releasing smaller stuff since they seem to do very well for their scope... They could learn a shitton of things from Nintendo...

FStubbs

Square Enix right now is doing what we've been saying they needed to do for years: Try out lots of new ideas and new IPs. Final Fantasy aside, I like the overall direction of current Square-Enix.

I'm so hyped for Forspoken. I'm a big fan of infamous, and that game looks really sick. I think 2023 is gonna be a huge year for SE.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Op is the epitome of online discussion: distorted, misinformed, illogical, inflammatory. Why should square enix treat their consumers like intelligent people if the complains directed to it doesn't really prove them wrong. This is the reason why gaming will never be taken seriously.

Also, 25 year ago square enix didn't even existed , right? They were still two separate companies.

Kimahri

Banned
What?

Live A Live was great. Diofield was better than expected, Valkyrie Elysium and Star Ocean are both very entertaining, and Tactics Ogre is and always will be marvellous.

We've also had some voice of cards games.

You can't possibly have played any of these games.

Of forgot about Triangle Strategy, best game of the year.

SE is exactly where I want them to be. Pushing out a ton of very different games that are still very much them. Gives me late 90s early 00s vibes really.

nocsi

They're desperately trying to hedge w/ another live service game but nothing is sticking. Whatever people want to argue, FF14 is still carrying Square-Enix. In any case, after Forespoken flops, Sony will step in

Rat Rage

Square Enix is the equivalent of a once beloved & highly respected girlfriend that slowly turned into a horrible, soulless whore.

ungalo

WOW!... A lot of people in this thread seem to love mediocre games.
Without going this far as to say everything Square is publishing is garbage, yes i have trouble believing that games such as Diofield or Valkyrie are actually "great" and "awesome" and that i would have known better if i had played them.

I don't know if it's a thing with japanese publishers or if you're not even allowed to say Ubisoft games are shit without being called out for not playing them and not being an "enthusiast" (or perhaps this is because these games are not AAA i don't know).

(i played games like Octopath though, nice game but i would not say great for example)

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Without going this far as to say everything Square is publishing is garbage, yes i have trouble believing that games such as Diofield or Valkyrie are actually "great" and "awesome" and that i would have known better if i had played them.

I don't know if it's a thing with japanese publishers or if you're not even allowed to say Ubisoft games are shit without being called out for not playing them and not being an "enthusiast" (or perhaps this is because there are not AAA i don't know).

(i played games like Octopath though, nice game but i would not say great for example)
I don't think it's just a "japanese publisher" thing, it's just that a lot of people (myself included) really enjoy the types of games that SE has released this year. I'd rather play a variety of budget / AA games that try new and different things with mostly non-established franchises or new IPs than a single AAA mega-hit.

The difference with something like Ubisoft is that their games are almost always the same. Anymore, they're a lot like the annual sports games that get released every year, sell millions of copies, but are mostly identical to the previous year's sports game with a few updated stats or minor gameplay tweaks. It's easy to voice an opinion about the newest Assassin's Creed game - even if you haven't played it - because it's almost cookie cutter identical to the last 4 games in the franchise. The same is true with Far Cry.

Meanwhile, something like Diofield Chroncile is pretty unique (a real time strategy version of Final Fantasy Tactic's formula), so in this case you're going to get some pushback saying it sucks (when you haven't played it). You'd be forgiven for thinking it's just like Octopath Traveller, Triangle Strategy, or Various Daylife (they all use the same logo, so...) but it's actually a unique experience that a lot of people are going to feel like you need to play to judge.

Another example is the Voice of Cards games. They're pretty similar to traditional tabletop roleplaying games of yesteryear, and rely heavily on the game's narration being engaging (hence "VOICE" of cards). I'll be the first to admit that it's not for everyone, and I personally thought it was somewhat mediocre especially for the price, but I still think those games are awesome because they're engaging and unique and have qualities that are difficult to explain to someone who hasn't also experienced it.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Worst year?
Voice of Cards: The Forsaken MaidenMicrosoft WindowsFebruary 17, 2022AlimYesYesYesYes[338]
Nintendo Switch[338]
PlayStation 4[338]
Final Fantasy VI Pixel RemasterAndroidFebruary 23, 2022ToseYesYesYesYes[339]
iOS[339]
Microsoft Windows[339]
Babylon's FallMicrosoft WindowsMarch 3, 2022PlatinumGamesYesYesYesYes[340]
PlayStation 4[340]
PlayStation 5[340]
Triangle StrategyNintendo SwitchMarch 4, 2022Square Enix / Artdink / NetchubiyoriYesYesYesYes[341]
Microsoft WindowsOctober 13, 2022[342]
Chocobo GPNintendo SwitchMarch 10, 2022ArikaYesYesYesYes[343]
Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy OriginMicrosoft WindowsMarch 18, 2022Team NinjaYesYesYesYes[344]
PlayStation 4[344]
PlayStation 5[344]
Xbox One[344]
Xbox Series X/S[344]
Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers EditionMicrosoft WindowsApril 7, 2022Square EnixYesYesYesYes[345]
Nintendo Switch[345]
PlayStation 4[345]
Xbox One[345]
The Centennial Case: A Shijima StoryMicrosoft WindowsMay 12, 2022h.a.n.d.YesYesYesYes[346]
Nintendo Switch[346]
PlayStation 4[346]
PlayStation 5[346]
Live A LiveNintendo SwitchJuly 22, 2022Square Enix / HistoriaYesYesYes[347]
Voice of Cards: The Beasts of BurdenMicrosoft WindowsSeptember 13, 2022AlimYesYesYesYes[348]
Nintendo Switch[348]
PlayStation 4[348]
Various DaylifeMicrosoft WindowsSeptember 13, 2022DokiDoki Groove WorksYesYesYesYes[349]
Nintendo Switch[349]
PlayStation 4September 16, 2022[349]
The Diofield ChronicleMicrosoft WindowsSeptember 22, 2022Square Enix / LancarseYesYesYesYes[350]
Nintendo Switch[350]
PlayStation 4[350]
PlayStation 5[350]
Xbox One[350]
Xbox Series X/S[350]
Valkyrie ElysiumPlayStation 4September 29, 2022SoleilYesYesYesYes[55]
PlayStation 5[55]
Microsoft WindowsNovember 11, 2022ComingComingComingComing[55]
Star Ocean: The Divine ForceMicrosoft WindowsOctober 27, 2022tri-AceYesYesYesYes[351]
PlayStation 4[351]
PlayStation 5[351]
Xbox One[351]
Xbox Series X/S[351]
HarvestellaMicrosoft WindowsNovember 4, 2022Square Enix / Live WireComingComingComingComing[352]
Nintendo Switch[352]
Tactics Ogre: RebornMicrosoft WindowsNovember 11, 2022Square EnixComingComingComingComing[353]
Nintendo Switch[353]
PlayStation 4[353]
PlayStation 5[353]
Dragon Quest TreasuresNintendo SwitchDecember 9, 2022Square EnixComingComingComingComing[354][355]
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII ReunionMicrosoft WindowsDecember 13, 2022Square EnixComingComingComingComing

I would say this has been one of their best years. They have knocked it out of the park with great titles from budget releases to AAA.
Thank you. As I tell my employees opinions don't always count but data does. Besides, I've pre-ordered Harvestella and have trouble seeing it as a failure since only the demo is out as of now...

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
What is this

zxKSAOi.gif
?
Nah, this year has been fine. They've definitely had more silent years in the past.

Beechos

Square/enix is better off doing the smaller scale rpgs at this point. I dont think the aaa scale ff are worth the risk anymore. Considering their budget, time to develop and units sold. One big ff bomb can prob ruin them at this point.

Square was at its peak during the snes,ps 1 days. The legendary snes rpgs speak for themselves but you also had ps1 gems such as bushido blade, parasite eve, tobal no 1, einhander and brave fencer mushashi that are all but forgotten.

Stranger of Paradise genuinely became one of my favorite games of all time, so no.

Plus I fully intend to buy Star Ocean VI, Tactics Ogre Reborn, and Crisis Core: Reunion.

Lots of A/AA releases, and most haven’t appealed to me, but that’s fine.

Very dramatic thread. And next year there’s XVI (and Forspoken, to those it appeals to), plus probably some Dragon Quest project.

Edit: oh you’re one of those people that can’t understand why FFVII with modern visuals and AAA standards can’t be one game. lol

Last edited:
Square/enix is better off doing the smaller scale rpgs at this point. I dont think the aaa scale ff are worth the risk anymore. Considering their budget, time to develop and units sold. One big ff bomb can prob ruin them at this point.

Square was at its peak during the snes,ps 1 days. The legendary snes rpgs speak for themselves but you also had ps1 gems such as bushido blade, parasite eve, tobal no 1, einhander and brave fencer mushashi that are all but forgotten.
A mainline non-MMO FF has never bombed. And even then, the one FF that initially bombed eventually transformed into their biggest cash cow to date.

Plus it’s more than just game sales. They utilize music/characters/assets from mainlines in other games, such as spin-offs. People who loved said mainline game might be enticed to buy that other game. Then there’s merchandise, concerts, etc. that generate a profit.

Clearly, there’s a reason why they keep making mainline FF’s, otherwise they would stick to their cash cow MMO (which is a self-proclaimed “Final Fantasy theme park”) and their cash cow mobile games (which are also definitely “Final Fantasy theme parks”).

Last edited:
Aren’t they making tons of money with switch and others?

Edit
“Net sales for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2022 totaled ¥365,275 million (an increase of 9.8% from the prior fiscal year) and operating income amounted to ¥59,261 million (an increase of 25.5% from the prior fiscal year)”

Yup bad

Last edited:

yurinka

No. I think they didn't have a great year but also didn't have a bad year.

They had some bad/mediocre games, but other ones were good, and soon they'll have Crisis Core remake and Forspoken (which was supposed to be released this year). They also included a good chunk of stuff on subs like PS Plus this year. Their financials are good, too.

Jedusable

Neo Member
Can't agree with that because Stranger of Paradise is my GOTY right up with Sifu.

Will probably purchase Tactics Ogre and Crisis Core later this year, but those are just remaster.

Thabass

What? Other than the NFT game, Square has actually been the one of the best publishers this year. Not sure what the hell you're talking about.

Hell, even Star Ocean is reviewing decently (for a Star Ocean game). That alone is triumph enough.

Chastten

Banned
I don't know about that. I've been loving all of their A or AA or whatever people call it, output of the last few years. I know people have huge boners for the triple A games but I prefer surprising stuff like Diofield Chronicle and Project Triangle. Great games.

Haven't played Valkyrie Elysium and the new Star Ocean yet but those look right up my alley as well.

Top Bottom