• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

i think we can all agree 2022 is by far Square Enix's worst year

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Final Fantasy is the only thing keeping them afloat. Terrible NFT business practices, consistent failure after failure, selling off their valuable western franchises, all of that. Even Konami at least has their BEMANI division which still produces amazing rhythm games... What does Square have besides Final Fantasy? Octopath and Triangle Strategy? Great games, admitteldly but not enough to make up for the consistent failures like babylon's fall, chocobo GP, this new NFT trash they're working on, Forspoken, Harvestella (yea bet none of yall motherfuckers remembered that one) etc etc etc....

25 years ago they were consistently cooking up masterpieces and were gearing up to release FF7 (in it's full, uncompromised 3 disc glory, none of that 3 part shit either)

Can Sony just purchase them already and set them straight?

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Forspoken and Harvestella haven't even come out yet and you already call them a failure, how?
the terrible marketing for the former has doomed it of any high sales regardless of if it's good or not (and frankly i don't think it will be good)
the latter is a generic farming RPG no one even remembers, seriously i had to look up Square Enix 2022 games just to find out that it exists. It will not sell even if it's on switch

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Worst year?
Voice of Cards: The Forsaken MaidenMicrosoft WindowsFebruary 17, 2022AlimYesYesYesYes[338]
Nintendo Switch[338]
PlayStation 4[338]
Final Fantasy VI Pixel RemasterAndroidFebruary 23, 2022ToseYesYesYesYes[339]
iOS[339]
Microsoft Windows[339]
Babylon's FallMicrosoft WindowsMarch 3, 2022PlatinumGamesYesYesYesYes[340]
PlayStation 4[340]
PlayStation 5[340]
Triangle StrategyNintendo SwitchMarch 4, 2022Square Enix / Artdink / NetchubiyoriYesYesYesYes[341]
Microsoft WindowsOctober 13, 2022[342]
Chocobo GPNintendo SwitchMarch 10, 2022ArikaYesYesYesYes[343]
Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy OriginMicrosoft WindowsMarch 18, 2022Team NinjaYesYesYesYes[344]
PlayStation 4[344]
PlayStation 5[344]
Xbox One[344]
Xbox Series X/S[344]
Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers EditionMicrosoft WindowsApril 7, 2022Square EnixYesYesYesYes[345]
Nintendo Switch[345]
PlayStation 4[345]
Xbox One[345]
The Centennial Case: A Shijima StoryMicrosoft WindowsMay 12, 2022h.a.n.d.YesYesYesYes[346]
Nintendo Switch[346]
PlayStation 4[346]
PlayStation 5[346]
Live A LiveNintendo SwitchJuly 22, 2022Square Enix / HistoriaYesYesYes[347]
Voice of Cards: The Beasts of BurdenMicrosoft WindowsSeptember 13, 2022AlimYesYesYesYes[348]
Nintendo Switch[348]
PlayStation 4[348]
Various DaylifeMicrosoft WindowsSeptember 13, 2022DokiDoki Groove WorksYesYesYesYes[349]
Nintendo Switch[349]
PlayStation 4September 16, 2022[349]
The Diofield ChronicleMicrosoft WindowsSeptember 22, 2022Square Enix / LancarseYesYesYesYes[350]
Nintendo Switch[350]
PlayStation 4[350]
PlayStation 5[350]
Xbox One[350]
Xbox Series X/S[350]
Valkyrie ElysiumPlayStation 4September 29, 2022SoleilYesYesYesYes[55]
PlayStation 5[55]
Microsoft WindowsNovember 11, 2022ComingComingComingComing[55]
Star Ocean: The Divine ForceMicrosoft WindowsOctober 27, 2022tri-AceYesYesYesYes[351]
PlayStation 4[351]
PlayStation 5[351]
Xbox One[351]
Xbox Series X/S[351]
HarvestellaMicrosoft WindowsNovember 4, 2022Square Enix / Live WireComingComingComingComing[352]
Nintendo Switch[352]
Tactics Ogre: RebornMicrosoft WindowsNovember 11, 2022Square EnixComingComingComingComing[353]
Nintendo Switch[353]
PlayStation 4[353]
PlayStation 5[353]
Dragon Quest TreasuresNintendo SwitchDecember 9, 2022Square EnixComingComingComingComing[354][355]
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII ReunionMicrosoft WindowsDecember 13, 2022Square EnixComingComingComingComing

I would say this has been one of their best years. They have knocked it out of the park with great titles from budget releases to AAA.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Gonna be a no from me on that one dawg.
  • Live-A-Live
  • Star Ocean
  • Front Mission 1
  • Harvestella
  • DioField Chronicles
  • Stranger in Motherfucking Paradise on a Motherfucking Plane
  • Triangle Strategy
  • Voice of Cards 3
  • Tactics Ogre
  • Valkyrie Elysium
  • Dragon Quest Treasures
  • Chrono Cross
  • Various Daylife
My biggest issue with them this year is that I can't even physically play all these. Off this list I am buying 7 games from them this year, but I want all these.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
There's FFVI Pixel Remaster, Harvestella, Star Ocean, DioField Chronicles, Valkyrie Elysium and more so nope.

Arrested Development Tobias GIF

ungalo

I went to check what they had done in 2021, some shitty ports and remasters, Balan Wonderworld, only Nier remake and Bravely Default 2 as decent "original" games.

So no.

Arsic

Gold Member
Bruh. Pick a year when they release nothing for this argument.

This year they released A LOT of well reviewed , sold, and fan enjoyed products.

Live a live, triangle, star ocean, and Valkyrie are all bangers.

ungalo

Bruh. Pick a year when they release nothing for this argument.

This year they released A LOT of well reviewed , sold, and fan enjoyed products.

Live a live, triangle, star ocean, and Valkyrie are all bangers.
bangers ?
well reviewed ?

iQuasarLV

Nope, not with Triangle Strategy, Live A Live, Tactics Ogre, and Crisis Core coming out
damn dude...
Isn't that like new game - remaster - remaster - remaster

Is that not playing into the very comment OP was saying how 25 years ago they were banging out masterpieces? Now they are just reliving and cashing in on the nostalgia drip everyone seems to be gurgling now.

damn dude...
Isn't that like new game - remaster - remaster - remaster

Is that not playing into the very comment OP was saying how 25 years ago they were banging out masterpieces? Now they are just reliving and cashing in on the nostalgia drip everyone seems to be gurgling now.

This is an ‘off year’ for them, and they are still doing great. Compare it to publishers like capcom, ubisoft, Ea, that also don’t have major titles releasing this year.

Square enix along with those other pubs are gonna have big 2023 releases

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
hey im not a square fan i just like a fun RPG
Well, all I can say is I wish I had a dollar for every hyperbolic statement I’ve read like:

“They’re trying to kill off turn based games”
“Final Fantasy is dead”
“We could be looking at a Squaresoft renaissance!”
“By far their worst year ever”
“The last good FF game came out over 20 years ago”

Etc etc

RCU005

OP’s logic: If it’s not a AAAA game it’s a failure.

SIE is actually using that logic now, and while the games they make are amazing, Sony used to be the one to take risks and green light many smaller projects that become popular. Gravity Rush, The Last Guardian, Folklore, Heavy Rain, etc. To put it simpler, most of the PS3 games wouldn’t exist.

Now, they just want AAAA games! Therefore we have that logic from this post that every game needs to be huge and epic.

In reality, Square Enix is doing great with many games for different platforms and different tastes. I believe they are doing their best since they merged.

Fbh

I don't think it was that bad. Not a lot of massive hits but I appreciate how they focused on a bunch of smaller more niche games like Triangle Strategy, Diofield Chronicles, Stranger of Paradise, Valkyrie Elysium, Voice of Cards, etc. I wish more publishers would have as many smaller scale titles in between their big AAA releases.

You want them to invest in massive AAA JRPG's but the truth is no one buys them unless they have a popular IP attached to them. Outside of a few outliers like Persona and massive historical franchises like Final Fantasy JRPG's just aren't what they used to be in terms of popularity. No one is going to invest 100 million dollars on some new AAA turn based JRPG IP only to sell 2 million units.

Draugoth

Gold Member
It's amazing how bad Square Ebnix has been this year
  • Sold Eidos Division for a fraction of what they could
  • Released only shitty to average games this year
  • Investing into the failed NFT Market
  • Delayed Forspoken when they could have released in 2022 with few games to compete with
They somehow managed to be worse than Konami

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Dude, I want some of what you're smoking.

Diofield Chronicles, Triangle Strategy, Harvestella, and Stranger in Paradise are all honestly pretty great. I've been playing Dragon Quest X Offline which came out last month, and it's solid - I always wanted to get into DQX but couldn't stomach the MMO. And that's not counting their excellent remakes this year: Live A Live, Front Mission, Tactics Ogre, Crisis Core, and Chrono Cross.

I'll agree that Chocobo GP was terrible, but that's the only ground I'm giving up.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Yeah, dude, like...if I hate Chinese food.

Then go to a Chinese restaurant.

Then say there is no food, and the restaurant is failing because it doesn't have cheeseburgers, like

Not being interested in something isn't the same as something not existing, my dude. Harvestella seems to be your ace in the hole, and like....I remembered it, looks cozy.

ungalo

OP’s logic: If it’s not a AAAA game it’s a failure.

SIE is actually using that logic now, and while the games they make are amazing, Sony used to be the one to take risks and green light many smaller projects that become popular. Gravity Rush, The Last Guardian, Folklore, Heavy Rain, etc. To put it simpler, most of the PS3 games wouldn’t exist.

Now, they just want AAAA games! Therefore we have that logic from this post that every game needs to be huge and epic.

In reality, Square Enix is doing great with many games for different platforms and different tastes. I believe they are doing their best since they merged.
You mentioned way bigger games than what Square is making lol. Heavy Rain not a AAA wtf ? Last Guardian too ? Those are exactly the kind of games Square is NOT producing. And Sony is still taking a bet in original midbudget games like Returnal giving funds to little studios to help them grow up.

What Square is doing is either overdone IPs like Star Ocean or very low budget and still traditional games like Diofield that will be profitable with a few hundred thousands games sold. There is absolutely no ambition, regardless of the size of those games, and even less personality.

If Sony bought Square that would make the situation worse.

While it's true that they depend on Final Fantasy games I like it that way as FF7 Remake and FFXIV Endwalker are games I have enjoyed the most in the last two years.

FF7 Rebirth and FF16 are going to be amazing.

Last edited:

Belthazar

I'm really satisfied with how varied in scope and genre their output has been. Not everything can be a AAA game and Square finally understood that. Between Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean, Diofield, Live a Life, Triangle Strategy, Stranger of Paradise, Crisis Core, etc. There have been a number of bangers for people who like a variety of types of games, so it's fine on my book

Those clearly don't need to sell millions to be profitable so I feel like we're back to PS1/2 Square, where there's the Final Fantasies and Dragon Quests but there's also the smaller games that will appeal to a smaller crowd.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I think this has been an excellent year for them. A good mix of old by IPs and actually trying to do something new. We've even seen the revival of old IPs like Valkyrie Profile. Sure, there were some misses, but I'd rather they try and swing for the fences then just be safe.

This is the first year where Square Enix has felt like Square Enix in a long time.

ungalo

Dude, I want some of what you're smoking.

Diofield Chronicles, Triangle Strategy, Harvestella, and Stranger in Paradise are all honestly pretty great. I've been playing Dragon Quest X Offline which came out last month, and it's solid - I always wanted to get into DQX but couldn't stomach the MMO. And that's not counting their excellent remakes this year: Live A Live, Front Mission, Tactics Ogre, Crisis Core, and Chrono Cross.

I'll agree that Chocobo GP was terrible, but that's the only ground I'm giving up.
Chrono Cross was considered a trash remaster, suddenly it became an excellent remake. Is Square Enix paying people to make advertisements on forums like this one ?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Chrono Cross was considered a trash remaster, suddenly it became an excellent remake. Is Square Enix paying people to make advertisements on forums like this one ?
The remaster was definitely trash when it was released, but it's been (mostly) fixed, and it's fine now. It's a great JRPG classic. All of these remakes I consider excellent, because they're excellent games that weren't otherwise available on modern hardware - and now they are.

EDIT: and it's funny that someone thinks I'm a shill for S-E lol

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
wtf is wrong with OP? This year for SE has been stellar.
Oh, and don't forget about the Front Mission remake coming at the end of November.

Last edited:
Final Fantasy is the only thing keeping them afloat. Terrible NFT business practices, consistent failure after failure, selling off their valuable western franchises, all of that. Even Konami at least has their BEMANI division which still produces amazing rhythm games... What does Square have besides Final Fantasy? Octopath and Triangle Strategy? Great games, admitteldly but not enough to make up for the consistent failures like babylon's fall, chocobo GP, this new NFT trash they're working on, Forspoken, Harvestella (yea bet none of yall motherfuckers remembered that one) etc etc etc....

25 years ago they were consistently cooking up masterpieces and were gearing up to release FF7 (in it's full, uncompromised 3 disc glory, none of that 3 part shit either)

Can Sony just purchase them already and set them straight?
Absolutely not, they're putting out lots of stuff I like.

And Forspoken looks great. WTF are you talking about? Have you actually watched the gameplay clips? Or are you just stuck on that one cheesy voice-over ad?

LrUYnsZ.gif

This year has been VERY solid- not everything was a masterpiece or some AAA budget grand spectacle, but there was plenty to look forward to and enjoy.

2023 is where the really big ones are showing up, but nothing wrong with the smaller scope titles we got this year.

and were gearing up to release FF7 (in it's full, uncompromised 3 disc glory, none of that 3 part shit either)
Just a genuine question: have you played FFVII Remake?

Last edited:
Top Bottom