• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think Microsoft will release an Xboy similar to Steam Deck

KAL2006

Banned
It just makes too much sense with Microsoft's shift to supporting PC day 1 and Gamepass on PC.

However I think they will wait atleast another 2 years to jump on it to let portable tech get a bit better so they can play Series S/X exclusives at low settings without any issues.

They can have a custom windows that is more focused on battery life saving. Have a custom windows store games menu for easy interface for a games machine. Copy Valve with the trackpads for strategy games. And of course if you wish you can simply download the Steam app.

Microsoft have a decent hardware team that can make this, the same team that made Surface.

They can even have the advantage of some models being bundled with small mouse and keyboard dock and Microsoft Office.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Xloud Stick.

They don't need handle held as of now. They need to focus more on xcloud. That is the future console for them.

Work on latency, on the internet, and all that crappy stuff that makes the experience sour.

ManaByte

Game streaming isn't a replacement for anything. It is and will always be a poor substitution when there's no other choice.
I can play Sea of Thieves on my phone wherever I am whenever I want.

high quality GIF

KAL2006

Banned
Game streaming isn't a replacement for anything. It is and will always be a poor substitution when there's no other choice.

Exactly and I think the appeal of having a Gamepass portable machine that natively plays games would help Microsoft alot to gain another market. Of course Steam Deck and Steam Deck successors can easily install windows. But I think if Microsoft market something that's a little more simple with Windows already preinstalled that has a custom version of Windows for handheld controls would work better to grab the Xbox audience.

Kenpachii

Unless they can get 3rd party support from console market thing is dead if its from xbox.

The reason why steam deck is interesting is because it plays steam games foremost which is where most people sit on with pc gaming. xbox itself with its windows store is a niche.

No, they won't. The might make special version of Windows for SteamDeck though. Hardware is always a loss leader, there is no need for MS to lose money on portables considering they have XCloud, Surface devices, PCs, consoles and so on.

It is and will always be a poor substitution when there's no other choice.
No it won't. With bigger server coverage it will be a very good alternative. Streaming is the future, whether you like it or not. Society always develops for portability and accessibility - each person will be able to play the games on the every device without need to purchase the specific hardware. That's the future.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
Is it needed?
Steam Deck will play all Xbox games that are available on Steam. What they could do is to let us play Gamepass games on SteamOS as well. Or make sure there are drivers and a suitable UI available if Windows 11 is installed on the Deck.

Yes but you need to install windows and the windows isn't really designed around a small screen using control pad. To have a portable that comes preinstalled with windows and have Microsoft develop a custom windows for portable gaming. Also Steam Deck isn't really marketed for the big casual market. With a Xboy Microsoft can have it marketed and sold in actual stores. Bundle it with games and have the Xbox branding.

Matsuchezz

They just need to flood the market with tons of shit like sega did. That is the right move. /s

i will never understand portable gaming. I want my games to look as good as they can an play them on a big screen. To get The full experience. I rather watch a movie or read on long flights that game on a tiny screen.

Banned
in about 3 to 4 years time, the AMD APUs should be small enough and powerful enough to play Series S quality in a handheld form factor.

so I guess they totally could do that... the question is would it make sense?

what could make sense is to, at some point, simply replace the Series S with a Series S Portable. maybe even have a dock so it actually functions like a normal Series S when connected to the TV.
I think having a portable Series S would actually make it 100 times more attractive to customers... because currently that thing just sits in stores while everyone wants a Series X instead

Last edited:

Kagero

I would have been there day 1, but now we have steam deck that can essentially be a handheld Xbox or PlayStation. I’m at hyped for steam deck TBH.

Chukhopops

No, they won't. The might make special version of Windows for SteamDeck though. Hardware is always a loss leader, there is no need for MS to lose money on portables considering they have XCloud, Surface devices, PCs, consoles and so on.

No it won't. With bigger server coverage it will be a very good alternative. Streaming is the future, whether you like it or not. Society always develops for portability and accessibility - each person will be able to play the games on the every device without need to purchase the specific hardware. That's the future.
Agreeing on this - if the Deck is a runaway success all they have to do is release Deck profiles for their games and voila they are riding that wave. They may even optimize Win 11 itself for it.

But that’s if the Deck is a mainstream success which I just don’t see happening.

Fredrik

Yes but you need to install windows and the windows isn't really designed around a small screen using control pad. To have a portable that comes preinstalled with windows and have Microsoft develop a custom windows for portable gaming. Also Steam Deck isn't really marketed for the big casual market. With a Xboy Microsoft can have it marketed and sold in actual stores. Bundle it with games and have the Xbox branding.
You don’t need to install Windows to play their Steam games and it’s a touchscreen and you have a track pad so there are lots of control options there.
Otherwise I agree that they could find another audience. But I think they could do that by making sure Gamepass works on Steam as well.

I know xcloud exists but not everyone likes to stream games. This won't be replacing Xcloud this would just be another option for gamers.
The only issue with streaming is latency. A way around that would be to stream from the console, and carry the console to a local hotel to reduce latency, by bringing compute closer.

An end goal would be if we can unravel the shadow of uncertainty that protects the world, I'm pretty sure it's deterministic deep down, if we could see the deterministic mechanisms perhaps we may be able to better predict people's responses to the point that it is as if there were no latency. Perfect Prediction of movement and action would equal zero latency response, would make all games better, though the philosophical implications were this possible would be emotionally devastating to many.

Rossco EZ

they don’t need to, valve has done the job for them. game pass will be able to be played on steam deck and they are also pushing xcloud. can’t see it happening myself but who knows..

Last edited:

Beelzebubs

Why would they need to when they have XCloud and also you can get Windows on the Steam Deck.... Steam have done the work for them.

fermcr

Steam Deck will play all Xbox and PC games, Microsoft are late to the party. If they had announced and released it before Steam Deck, it might have succeeded. Now it's too late.

Since Steam Deck is open source, Microsoft could release a Steam Deck Xbox OS and take advantage of the machine.

Last edited:
Wrong. It will ALWAYS be inferior. It will be passable, but it will never be a 0 input lag or latency difference than playing off native hardware.

The option to buy and play off native hardware will always be an option through our lifetime. And the serious gaining enthusiasts will opt for that whenever possible. Just like today we look for certain television or TV settings to ensure as little latency as possible.

Last edited:

FStubbs

They'll rush one out if Steamdeck is a smash hit. But as people have noted, a Microsoft handheld would be built around Xcloud.

JLB

Banned
Completely agree OP.
As stated multiple times, to a tiresome degree at this point by Phil Spencer, XCloud is not a replacement, but an alternative. An it will always be inferior to local/native.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Just buy steam deck and you have local gamepass in your hands everywhere. Or you can buy other HW which came before that, but that's going to have iGPU.

Derktron

Banned
No, I don't think they will. That is not their plan, their plan is to continue to do what they are doing now, and maybe in the future they will make some kind of streaming box or a TV app and allow people to use that to use their games.

It's more likely Microsoft will merely integrate cloud gaming into the Steam Deck as well as other handheld devices. It gets the same job done and gets people subscribed to Game Pass.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
All their games are on steam they don't need the extra pressure of having a third device. Just sell their games to steam deck owners.

Top Bottom