• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think I may be going insane. But I'm sure that Shenmue I HD ran at 60 fps on the X-Box One X.

Nickolaidas

I used to have Shenmue 1+2 HD for Xbox One X, and Shenmue 1 ran at 60 fps, silky smooth. A few months later I double-dipped and bought it for PS4. It ran at 30 fps.

I have sold both of my consoles, and I just now bought Shenmue 1 + 2 on Steam. It runs at 30 fps. I was like, wtf? I googled, and read that all versions ran at 30 fps.

How the fuck is that possible? Shenmue I ran on my X1X at 60 fps, I'm SURE of it. I can't crosscheck it now because I no longer have any consoles, but I'm positive that it did.

Any X1X players who have Shenmue I? Does it indeed play at 30 fps? Am I going senile and / or insane?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Pretty sure you're misremembering.

Game never got any sort of X Enhanced patch

Was always 1080p / 30fps on every console as well as PC, as far as I'm aware.

Nickolaidas

Pretty sure you're misremembering.

Game never got any sort of X Enhanced patch

Was always 1080p / 30fps on every console as well as PC, as far as I'm aware.
On PC you can go as far as 4K.

syEeeWc.jpg

What's insane is that I remember the game playing so smooth and fast compared to the Dreamcast version I had, especially in the forklift races.

I can't believe that my memory deceives me so much. It's unreal.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Running it with some sort of motion interpolation on your TV maybe?
The thought HAS crossed my mind, and ... I *used* to have that function *on*, but ... image interpolation would give me the impression of like 40-45 fps. Now, Shenmue? The gameplay segments (not the cutscenes), I remember them so smooth, we're talking Capcom fighting games smoothness.

Jimmy_liv

The thought HAS crossed my mind, and ... I *used* to have that function *on*, but ... image interpolation would give me the impression of like 40-45 fps. Now, Shenmue? The gameplay segments (not the cutscenes), I remember them so smooth, we're talking Capcom fighting games smoothness.
Why did you turn the image interpolation off if it gave the impression of faster frames? Just curious because I've never had it turned on but that comment made me tempted.

Kazza

Definitely just 30fps. Apparently the whole game logic is based around that frame rate and even modders haven't been able to up it to 60fps.

Kuranghi

Why did you turn the image interpolation off if it gave the impression of faster frames? Just curious because I've never had it turned on but that comment made me tempted.

It can introduce motion artifacts with this being a worst case scenario:

It looks so bad here because these are extra challenging scenes where rotating, fast moving objects are passing over grid or perpendicular line patterns and thats complex for the motion system to understand, so in a game this is what you are likely to see when something passes over say a chain-link fence.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Because it wouldn't always work. I would have to turn the TV on, and off and on and off, until it would de-glitch and work again. It got on my nerves and I got rid of it altogether, especially since I don't really need it with my PC almost always hitting 60 fps.

Kinda miss it when watching Netflix, though.

What most likely happened is that you played the dreamcast version in sub 30fps. Then you played it in 30fps and it felt so much smoother. Then you played some other games in 60fps and when you went back to Shenmue your brain was now fucked.
I felt this when playing Ocarina of Time on 3DS. There’s a huge difference between 20 and 30fps.

Scotty W

Gold Member

Everybody’s looking at Shenmue
Wondering ‘bout the fps.
Think it used to be much higher.
On the xbox series X.

Oh, tell me people am I going insane, insane?
Tell me people am I going insane, insane?

Everyday I sit and wonder
What the frame rate used to be.
Now I feel it’s going under (60fps)
Now Shenmue is hard to see.

So right now I’m triple dipping,
On this ancient Dreamcast game.
The Framerate seems to be slipping
Memories must have interpolated.

Top Bottom