• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Think Disney (Marvel Entertainment & LucusFilms) is slowly realizing the magnitude and potential of Marvel and Star Wars in Gaming.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Somebody please fucking realize the potential of new original IP.

And is there someone not fed up with fucking Marvel?
Same sentiment here. The last 15 years have made me feel like I've fallen off into some kind of twilight universe of mediocrity. We need to stop celebrating large corporate ownership of ideas and our absurd copyright practices (ie - WB copyrighting a nemesis system? come the fuck on).

Large companies are meant to die off so new ideas and businesses can be reborn, and that isn't happening. Look I loved Star Wars, Battlefront, Marvel, and all these things some time ago. I still do in the way one should enjoy the glory of the past. But the ratio of brave new ideas to living in the past is abysmal at best. And does no one think Disney buying up everything is just burying art further?

Yoda

I generally don't enjoy comic book movies (or games). But given the MCU's financial success, it's probably a fair bet well crafted games in that Universe will generally have a good floor of fans to pay for the game (PS4 Spiderman is a good datapoint for this). Funny enough, the majority of the games mentioned in the OT are indeed Marvel games, not Star Wars games...

I am (well use to be) a large Star Wars fan and don't think there's much there. Games based around the recent trilogy wouldn't sell well (Disney is well aware of this). Revisiting the glory days of the franchise can only work for so long before what is left of the aging fanbase moves on. I think we'll get games on a decent cadence, but nothing on par with the breadth of creativity we saw in the glory years of the early 2000s (Battlefront, Kotor, Jedi Knight, Rogue Squadron, SWG, etc...). Unless they can fix the (self inflicted) damage they've done on the franchise, I think it's probably in the same tier of Star Trek in regards to its mass appeal, thus would get the same amount of AAA games as Star Trek (not many).

marvel and starwars have/had lot of potential for films too, but they destroyed that with identity politics and insulting the fans, video games will be mostly good as long as disney is not involved in their development

Im trying to wrap my head around why any anyone would think Sony would even consider selling Sony Pictures (which is the Parent company of both Columbia and Tristar Pictures and Recently acquired Crunchrolly Funimation).

Why on earth would Sony sell Disney their motion pictures for x amount of money JUST for SPIDERMAN when Sony is CONCURRENTLY trying to build their own MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE!?!?

no.... forget marvel rights, what about all of the move franchises like BAD BOYS, GHOSTBUSTER, Hotel Transylvania, I'm only listing the few i know but their an entire list on live-action game films like Uncharted and Metal Gear in the works.

There are plenty of reasons for Sony to sell SPE. The main one being that the division is one of the lowest ROI divisions they own and the money they'd get from a sale would provide a better ROI for investors on another division, i.e. games. If they want to be a niche player and serve the hardcore anime market they can spin Crunchyroll and Funimation under SME. I do think Crunchyroll was already under SME IIRC.

Sony's Spiderman Universe is very limited in how big it can get. There are very few characters they own the movie rights to that can carry a movie. Creating a shared universe is not easy. Fox and DC have failed with a much deeper library and many more interesting characters than Sony currently owns.

Bad Boys is akin to Lethal Weapon and Rush Hour to me. The last one did very well at the BO, no doubt. But it had been over a decade since we saw Mike and Marcus. Can they make it a franchise with a new movie every 2-4 years? Maybe, but it remains to be seen. Last Ghostbuster bombed badly at the BO, costing Sony millions of dollars. Next one looks interesting, but it'll have to fight family dollars with Encanto that's coming a week later. We'll have to see what comes of it. Uncharted and MGS are unknown quantities in the movie space. Being a big game franchise does not equal being a big movie franchise. MK and WoW are proof of that.

I do wish Sony would divest their movie division. It's not very good and its ROI is pitiful. Use that money to increase dividends, buy back stock, and/or increase investment in the G&NS division. I just don't think Disney should be on the lookout to buy SPE just to get the Marvel rights back, especially as I mentioned they could get it for free if a deal can be reached.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
The are over 100 licensed star wars games released with over 90 million units sold.

According to marvel fandom, there are over 170 marvel licensed games released and they have probably sold at least as many copies as the star wars games if not double or triple.

The Disney video games page has over 400 entries that don't include marvel or star wars.

Title has nothing to do with the OP... Should be more along the lines of "I'm looking forward to Marvel and Star Wars games." Why do people thing the rest of the world is clueless about a $100 billion industry?

ZehDon

Ki4VUuF.jpeg

Send help.
giphy.gif

Amiga

Superman is hard to do because he's so overpowered that games based on the character don't make sense unless the enemies are as strong or stronger than him, but if they're stronger than him you don't feel like Superman. It's like him being a ringer in the original cut of the Justice League movie. Once he was in the fight with the bad guy it was an easy victory and the whole thing felt hollow. It's either hollow victories or getting killed by enemies a fraction as powerful as you.
the Avengers game has Hulk and Thor. the DCUOnline game has Superman like character builds. It can be done.

Makes you wonder if Disney does end up buying Sony Pictures to get the rights back to it's Spider Man properties and characters so they can do what they want with it in MCU as well as publish to multiple platforms to make more money. They can always spin off what is left of Sony Pictures after they get what they want.
Disney can never buy Sony Pictures.

Disney can never buy Sony Pictures.

They technically could, but it makes no sense for them to do so, or even entertain that M&A.

The day I saw the deals happen, I couldnt believe how little Marvel and Lucas Flim went for. It fucking crazy.

I can understand Marvel. Marvel Studios was just starting and their main characters had films tied up with competitors (some still to this day). Theme park rights in Orlando are pretty iron clad tied to a competitor, so yeah I could see that. Lucas though, he just wanted out, especially with the way he got harassed because of the PT.

He could have easily gotten 2 or 3x what he got. Maybe more. I remember Fox execs saying they wish Lucas had gone to them for a sale.

kyussman

It would be better if they just picked the odd project every so often rather than saturate the market like they have with the movies.

MrMephistoX

Disney likes easy money and licensing out the IP provides that. If they cared about gaming as a medium they wouldn’t have shuttered almost all of their internal studios. That said I’m glad they’ve started to realize the damage a bad PR situation like Battlefront 2 can cause. Still wish they’d supported Marvel vs Capcom Infinite longer.

Bryank75

Banned
Let's clear the air first on a recurring misconception: SPIDER-MAN, SPIDER-MAN: Miles Morales, and the upcoming SPIDER-MAN 2 being exclusive to Playstation is a coincidence. In my off-topic thread, i go into more details on the subject.
it was Marvel Entertainment who approached Sony Interactive Entertainment to publish a game and SIE turned to Insomianc to make said games.
It is Sony Pictures, through Columbia Pictures, that owns the film rights to SPIDER-MAN films: however, video games are Merchandise meaning all rights to SPIDER-MAN games are owned by Marvel Entertainment, not Sony.

Because Disney now owns Marvel Entertainment, they in some way get a % the all MArvel video games.

now

---

Like the title explains, i think Disney right now is testing who in the industry can produce AAA games. obviously, Insomniac Studios has a head start with Marvel Characters like SPIDER-MAN and the upcoming WOLVERINE, while Respawn Entertainment (EA) has Start Wars Fallen Order and Aspyr Media has the upcoming KOTORR.

Single-player, online, mobile, and games as service will appeal to a certain crowd but nonetheless, it will be a great time to be a Marvel / Star Wars fan in the coming years in gaming.

They all pale in comparison to Highlander!

There Can Be Only One Highlander GIF

Honestly though.... there have been tons of Marvel and Star Wars games.

They have to be a great game, the IP cannot carry it alone. People catch on very fast to when the time and effort isn't being put in...

I strongly believe the only reason people are excited is due to Spider-man being so good and KOTOR being known as being quite legendary, many have not played it but know the videos and how prolific it is.

They literally cant. No matter how much money they throw.

They literally can, but they shouldn't.

EDIT: If you are alluding that it would be for antitrust reasons it wouldn't. At least not in the US, not sure about other countries. I have gone over this multiple times during the time Disney bought Fox and won't do it again. You can look at my post history if you want, but long story short it doesn't violate any of the existing anti trust laws. It's even less of a factor now with how much bigger streaming got.

Last edited:
They literally can, but they shouldn't.

EDIT: If you are alluding that it would be for antitrust reasons it wouldn't. At least not in the US, not sure about other countries. I have gone over this multiple times during the time Disney bought Fox and won't do it again. You can look at my post history if you want, but long story short it doesn't violate any of the existing anti trust laws. It's even less of a factor now with how much bigger streaming got.
Whether Justice Department would let one company control 80% of the theater market, or aborb another streaming service, who really knows.

Japan on the other hand wouldnt. They would probably force Sony to sell to another Japanese company. Sony would have been better off selling Vaio to a Chinese company.

Whether Justice Department would let one company control 80% of the theater market, or aborb another streaming service, who really knows.

Japan on the other hand wouldnt. They would probably force Sony to sell to another Japanese company. Sony would have been better off selling Vaio to a Chinese company.

SPE is headquartered in California. What you are describing is a non issue.

Disney+SPE would not be 80% of the market. DOJ does not look at theater marketshare anyways, just like they don't look at Anime market when allowing one entity to control Crunchyroll + Funimation under their belt.

CuNi

Only thing I hope is that Disney doesn't sell out the SW License to any one studio exclusively.
That EA deal was terrible. The games were fun and okay, but the output was so horrible low and so many games were cancelled, it really didn't help the franchise along the movies that progressively got worse.

KAL2006

Banned
Just give me a Marvel Ultimate Alliance with the depth of Diablo. I'd even take a small roster of 6 characters, if they can upgrade armours, weapons, have different builds etc.

sainraja

I’d like to see a team-based Star Wars shooter like Destiny. Imagine a squad with a smuggler, heavy soldier, and a couple of Jedis working together to take shit down in exotic Star Wars locales, with a generous combo of pew pew and Force shit…

Do it. And let the Empire see you do it. 👉
OR just play Destiny. Bungie, when they first revealed it, mentioned Star Wars (I forget in what way....I think they wanted Destiny to be as big/expansive and rich in lore as Star Wars).

sainraja

I'm just glad that while Avengers under performed and Battlefront 2 had a lot of drama on release, games like Spiderman and Jedi Fallen Order did great.
It has opened the path for more fun single player projects like Wolverine, KOTOR Remake and Midnight Suns instead of a never ending wave of GaaS garbage.
^^ this 100%

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The only thing Disney is learning is that they can greatly reduce their spending and increase prices and people will still by everything.

Star wars and Marvel IPs should not be exclusive to any one system. It should be accessible to all gamers on their preferred platform

SPE is headquartered in California. What you are describing is a non issue.

Disney+SPE would not be 80% of the market. DOJ does not look at theater marketshare anyways, just like they don't look at Anime market when allowing one entity to control Crunchyroll + Funimation under their belt.
They did what you talking about?

kiphalfton

I feel like no one likes to touch Hulk which has a lot of potential for a good game

Agreed. In regards to both games and standalone movies. Maybe due to some weird licensing issue? Who knows, but in any case I would be in for another Hulk movie and game.

They did what you talking about?
Sale was completed without a problem, like I said.

DOJ will technically look at everything. They'd never try to block something like this.

There are plenty of reasons for Sony to sell SPE. The main one being that the division is one of the lowest ROI divisions they own and the money they'd get from a sale would provide a better ROI for investors on another division, i.e. games. If they want to be a niche player and serve the hardcore anime market they can spin Crunchyroll and Funimation under SME. I do think Crunchyroll was already under SME IIRC.

Sony's Spiderman Universe is very limited in how big it can get. There are very few characters they own the movie rights to that can carry a movie. Creating a shared universe is not easy. Fox and DC have failed with a much deeper library and many more interesting characters than Sony currently owns.

Bad Boys is akin to Lethal Weapon and Rush Hour to me. The last one did very well at the BO, no doubt. But it had been over a decade since we saw Mike and Marcus. Can they make it a franchise with a new movie every 2-4 years? Maybe, but it remains to be seen. Last Ghostbuster bombed badly at the BO, costing Sony millions of dollars. Next one looks interesting, but it'll have to fight family dollars with Encanto that's coming a week later. We'll have to see what comes of it. Uncharted and MGS are unknown quantities in the movie space. Being a big game franchise does not equal being a big movie franchise. MK and WoW are proof of that.

I do wish Sony would divest their movie division. It's not very good and its ROI is pitiful. Use that money to increase dividends, buy back stock, and/or increase investment in the G&NS division. I just don't think Disney should be on the lookout to buy SPE just to get the Marvel rights back, especially as I mentioned they could get it for free if a deal can be reached.
Obviously, you are not aware. Sony Has Movie Rights to 900 Marvel Characters | Screen Rant

Venon 2 2021
Morbius 2022
Spiderverse 2 2022
Kraven The Hunter 2023
Spider women TBA

The entire Sinister Six
S3UB8Sy.jpg

but lets put Marvel aside

Men in black
Jumanji

this is of course not listing the IPs under Columbia and Tristar picture and the many Co-partnership with MGM they have

There is no way Sony would consider this JUST to make sad Marvel fans feel good

Obviously, you are not aware. Sony Has Movie Rights to 900 Marvel Characters | Screen Rant

Venon 2 2021
Morbius 2022
Spiderverse 2 2022
Kraven The Hunter 2023
Spider women TBA

The entire Sinister Six
S3UB8Sy.jpg

but lets put Marvel aside

Men in black
Jumanji

this is of course not listing the IPs under Columbia and Tristar picture and the many Co-partnership with MGM they have

There is no way Sony would consider this JUST to make sad Marvel fans feel good

Nope, completely unaware that the list of 900 characters includes the dentist and the dealer. How can such a robust list compete with X-Men, Fantastic Four, Daredevil and all the characters contained in those worlds that Fox owned? Or how can they compete with Batman, Wonder Woman, and Superman? I will take a Carnage movie over a Batman movie!

MIB is garbage. Last movie sucked.
007 belongs to MGM (soon Amazon) and Brocolli family. Sony only owned a limited distribution deal. NTTD is being distributed by Universal.
Jumanji is not sustainable long term and Sony better milk Hart and Johnson while that franchise has some appeal.

Sony should consider because multiple stakeholders have asked for it and it's one of their lowest ROI divisions. We, the stakeholders, want more money in our pocket not for Sony to keep spending on a failing division.

ShadowNate

Still waiting for them to realize the potential in the worlds of the original old point and click LucasArts games. Especially the unfinished ones, or those that clearly could use a sequel or two.

Nope, completely unaware that the list of 900 characters includes the dentist and the dealer. How can such a robust list compete with X-Men, Fantastic Four, Daredevil and all the characters contained in those worlds that Fox owned? Or how can they compete with Batman, Wonder Woman, and Superman? I will take a Carnage movie over a Batman movie!

MIB is garbage. Last movie sucked.
007 belongs to MGM (soon Amazon) and Brocolli family. Sony only owned a limited distribution deal. NTTD is being distributed by Universal.
Jumanji is not sustainable long term and Sony better milk Hart and Johnson while that franchise has some appeal.

Sony should consider because multiple stakeholders have asked for it and it's one of their lowest ROI divisions. We, the stakeholders, want more money in our pocket not for Sony to keep spending on a failing division.

Your speaking like a consumer rather ee than an actually investor. Regardless of your opinion about individual film, worldwide these gross billion including Spiderman.

If this was a discussion about their Television brand BRAVIA and smartphone, XPERIA, continue to flop, thrn yes, thry should sell those off but Sony is in a place where they can survive on playstation, image sensor and remaking, rebooting Spider-Man ever 5 years if they wanted t to.

Urban

I think they just realised that if you give some developers time and don’t rush them with deadlines a really good product comes out and sells well.

Top Bottom