• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think Demon's Souls Remake might also include a remastered version of the original

sublimit

Banned

In a recent video Vaatividya talked about the Fractured Mode that was originally revealed as a part of the description of the game,but was quickly removed before Sony gave more explanations about it. This is not to be confused with the performane or fidelity options of the main game,this is supposed to be something else entirely.
In the video Vaati said that he thinks that the Fractured Mode could be a Remastered version of the original game with better performance and graphical fidelity. Something like how the game runs when using an emulator maybe with some better textures,added effects and quality of life features that don't impact the core gameplay like the ability to slide ladders faster or even the ability to roll at all directions.

4dxaqqnsnen31.jpg

I think that is very likely to happen because it will please all of us purists and at the same time will give Blue Point the "freedom" to stylistically deviate a bit from the original in their own version and give us their own take and re-imagining of the game without angering the purists.

So i think Demon's Souls fractured mode will be the original game but with higher resolution and framerate while there will also be another version,built from the ground up and that will be Blue Point's version.
Basically two games in one.

Do you think that is possible to happen?Do you think Fractured Mode will be something else?Or do you think there will not be a Fractured Mode at all (whatever that was supposed to include)?

Last edited:

Portugeezer

It's possible, but I don't see the point rather than just showing how old it looks compared to the remake. That novelty wears off. They could do it but I don't think it's worth advertising.

I feel like it could have been a new difficulty option, that has been the most controversial thing in Souls' games. And Miyazaki is not there to veto it.

Last edited:
So what? It's not that Sony gains anything from DS's online mode. More freedom and choice to switch from remake to original would be great IMO and it would revitalize a big part of the Souls community.

They gain even less by humouring the purists then going by that logic

Stick with one game and don't split the player base

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I would like a remastered version of the original. But it would raise questions about the online component of Demon's Souls .Will it be possible to play both versions online ? With distinct servers ? Some people would want to have the original without modifications too .What I would fear in this case would be what happened for God of war collection : have the remastered edition only available (in the beginning) in a costly collector edition .GOW 1&2 remastered where given with a 300€ edition of GOW 3, that I had to buy just for them...

Ar¢tos

In the private server Discord people are saying that Fractured Mode is a permadeath mode that was removed from the original mid development. I haven't checked to see if the server creator confirms this, since he must have a lot o knowledge of the game's "insides".

sublimit

Banned
It's possible, but I don't see the point rather than just showing how old it looks compared to the remake. That novelty wears off. They could do it but I don't think it's worth advertising.
Personally speaking i still find the original looking and playing great and i replayed it very recently. IMO the Remake is not about competing with the original or replace it,but (based on what we have seen so far) to offer a different view point that hopefully will keep the essence of the original intact.
I feel like it could have been a new difficulty option, that has been the most controversial thing in Souls' games. And Miyazaki is not there to veto it.
I really don't think that would have been it. Especially since Miyazaki is not there. Although to be fair we don't know yet if Miyazaki had no involvement at all. They might have asked him for advise especially for the more complex aspects of the game like World Tendency.

sublimit

Banned
I would like a remastered version of the original. But it would raise questions about the online component of Demon's Souls .Will it be possible to play both versions online ? With distinct servers ? Some people would want to have the original without modifications too .What I would fear in this case would be what happened for God of war collection : have the remastered edition only available (in the beginning) in a costly collector edition .GOW 1&2 remastered where given with a 300€ edition of GOW 3, that I had to buy just for them...
That would have been a PR disaster. I doubt they would dare to do it...

Nickolaidas

Banned

In a recent video Vaatividya talked about the Fractured Mode that was originally revealed as a part of the description of the game,but was quickly removed before Sony gave more explanations about it. This is not to be confused with the performane or fidelity options of the main game,this is supposed to be something else entirely.
In the video Vaati said that he thinks that the Fractured Mode could be a Remastered version of the original game with better performance and graphical fidelity. Something like how the game runs when using an emulator maybe with some better textures,added effects and quality of life features that don't impact the core gameplay like the ability to slide ladders faster or even the ability to roll at all directions.

4dxaqqnsnen31.jpg

I think that is very likely to happen because it will please all of us purists and at the same time will give Blue Point the "freedom" to stylistically deviate a bit from the original in their own version and give us their own take and re-imagining of the game without angering the purists.

So i think Demon's Souls fractured mode will be the original game but with higher resolution and framerate while there will also be another version,built from the ground up and that will be Blue Point's version.
Basically two games in one.

Do you think that is possible to happen?Do you think Fractured Mode will be something else?Or do you think there will not be a Fractured Mode at all (whatever that was supposed to include)?

Iiiiiiii dunno ... has Bluepoint ever done thisvbefore?

I mean sure, Wonder Boy and the Monkey Island games did it, but ...

Vawn

Banned
This looks to be a pretty true to the source remake, so I don't see it.

Maybe if this was a reimagining like Resident Evil 2 and 3 or really a sequel disguised as a Remake (FFVII Remake), I'd see the benefit. But for this, I can't see it happening or why it would.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The portion of the community angered by the changes are vocal but are hardly the majority. I just don't see it happening.

At best I could see a Halo option to switch between the new graphics & the old graphics running at higher res.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I guess that this will be a remake like Shadow of Colossus is. It's just better graphics

Nickolaidas

Banned
The portion of the community angered by the changes are vocal but are hardly the majority. I just don't see it happening.

At best I could see a Halo option to switch between the new graphics & the old graphics running at higher res.
But it's not a remaster to have the exact same maps and cutscenes, allowing you to switch graphics on the fly. It's a remake.

sublimit

Banned
Iiiiiiii dunno ... has Bluepoint ever done thisvbefore?

I mean sure, Wonder Boy and the Monkey Island games did it, but ...
To that extend probably not but there could always be a first time.
Couldn't you do something like that in the Halo collection? They weren't full remakes from the ground up but still the option was there AFAIK.

This looks to be a pretty true to the source remake, so I don't see it.

Maybe if this was a reimagining like Resident Evil 2 and 3 or really a sequel disguised as a Remake (FFVII Remake), I'd see the benefit. But for this, I can't see it happening or why it would.

We have already seen some significant changes to some of the designs and we have yet to see or know more about it. The Remake could deviate more than many people would think. Blue Point said that it will be a re-imagining and not a 1:1 remake.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
To that extend probably not but there could always be a first time.
Couldn't you do something like that in the Halo collection? They weren't full remakes from the ground up but still the option was there AFAIK.

We have already seen some significant changes to some of the designs and we have yet to see or know more about it. The Remake could deviate more than many people would think. Blue Point said that it will be a re-imagining and not a 1:1 remake.
Right! I forgot about the Master Chief Collection!

Nickolaidas

Banned
Why it has to be "on the fly"?
Because supposedly, remasters who do this have both games running on top of the same engine. Thus their content is 100% identical.

In a Remake, this isn't possible since the content is not 100% identical between the versions. You can't have Resident Evil 1 running on top of Resident Evil 1 Remake since they have different rooms, camera angles and gameplay mechanics.

420bits

Doubt it, why would they make essentially 2 games at once because 50 internet warriors won't be happy with BP's vision of a remake?

Even with all the assets, sourcecode and whatnot it would take quite a lot of time. It's not like 2 guys and a pot of coffee would make an upscaled version of the original in an afternoon.

All this based on that the gamemode is called "Fractured mode" and nothing else.

I mean, it COULD be true, but it could also be ture t hat they would add 15 hours of deleted content, or include the game with the ps5 or that fractured mode is the permadeath mode, or a coop mode where you play with COD users (Blops 3 had a mode called Fracture).

Just because Vaati says it or thinks it, doesn't make it true regardless of how much one wishes.

IF we get such a mode, im guessing it would be the new engine with the old models just upscaled and it would look like shit compared to the new one :p

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They gain even less by humouring the purists then going by that logic

Stick with one game and don't split the player base

Or maybe you can switch on the fly between the modes, where it doesn't impact the gameplay at all. Just how it looks visually for the end user? One can be playing the spruced up OG look, while another in the remake look?

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Because supposedly, remasters who do this have both games running on top of the same engine. Thus their content is 100% identical.

In a Remake, this isn't possible since the content is not 100% identical between the versions. You can't have Resident Evil 1 running on top of Resident Evil 1 Remake since they have different rooms, camera angles and gameplay mechanics.
Well i don't think i'd be interested to switch from remake to remaster on the fly anyway nor do i see any point for that to be honest.

So i'd be fine if i could do it the "regular" way (quit one version and then start the other).
Doubt it, why would they make essentially 2 games at once because 50 internet warriors won't be happy with BP's vision of a remake?

Even with all the assets, sourcecode and whatnot it would take quite a lot of time. It's not like 2 guys and a pot of coffee would make an upscaled version of the original in an afternoon.

All this based on that the gamemode is called "Fractured mode" and nothing else.

I mean, it COULD be true, but it could also be ture t hat they would add 15 hours of deleted content, or include the game with the ps5 or that fractured mode is the permadeath mode, or a coop mode where you play with COD users (Blops 3 had a mode called Fracture).

Just because Vaati says it or thinks it, doesn't make it true regardless of how much one wishes.

IF we get such a mode, im guessing it would be the new engine with the old models just upscaled and it would look like shit compared to the new one :p
We're just discussing and theorizing (just like Vaati did). Obviously no one knows if it will happen or not.

Theoretically speaking every true Souls fan should want that to happen though (except the fanboys who already hate it because it's a Sony exclusive). More options are always good. :)

Last edited:
Or maybe you can switch on the fly between the modes, where it doesn't impact the gameplay at all. Just how it looks visually for the end user? One can be playing the spruced up OG look, while another in the remake look?

That's what I was initially thinking. Something akin to what Xbox did with the Halo remasters. But when I look at the two the differences just look too extreme

Maybe it's possible. I have no idea

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Would a simple remaster be even possible?
A remaster is still all the original content, and the publishing rights of the original are a mess. From has the rights in Japan, Namco in Europe and Atlus in the US.

sublimit

Banned
Would a simple remaster be even possible?
A remaster is still all the original content, and the publishing rights of the original are a mess. From has the rights in Japan, Namco in Europe and Atlus in the US.
Nah. Sony was the publisher in Japan and Asia and the IP also belongs to them.

sublimit

Banned
It would be nice. Demon's Souls doesn't need to be tweaked at all imo. I love it completely as it is/was. And for me, FROM's artistic sensibilities are impeccable. No need to mess with that.
I think no one is questioning that. Probably not even Blue Point themselves. Personally i'll take the Remake as a different take or a new point of view of something that i have played countless times by now and hopefully i will enjoy it for what it is.

In no shape or form it's going to replace the original just like the Shadow of the Colossus remake never replaced the original (or the PS3 remaster) for me no matter how much i loved the remake.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
I’m not against having it but if it is there I probably wouldn’t play it over the remake. I have played the original upscaled on PC and I’m good with that for that version.

Top Bottom