• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I, The Inquisitor Trailer [PC/PS5/Xbox Series...by indie studio The Dust] The Thrashin' of the Christ

CamHostage

New game from (*I'll assume before looking it up*EDIT*Yep, no need to correct myself) Polish game design studio The Dust, based on a novels by series by Jacek Piekara.

I, The Inquisitor is a story-based action-adventure based on the popular books by Jacek Piekara in which, in an alternate history, Jesus of Nazareth responds to his crucifixion with anger and rage rather than forgiveness and compassion. And in the centuries that follow His band of Inquisitors serve as violent enforcers of Biblical law. You play as Mordimer Madderdin in the 1500's, and it will be up to you to show mercy to sinners or to punish them. I, The Inquisitor is in development for PC (Steam), PS5, and Xbox Series X|S.

It seems like this is capitalizing on The Witcher's literary success and mixing one of those historical/fantasy epics into an Assassin's Creed mechanic, this time with a world living under a pissed-off Jesus. It also uses a realm-shifting mechanic to put those next-gen SSDs to work, to some degree.

https://www.ign.com/articles/i-the-inquisitor-officially-announced-pc-xbox-series-ps5-playstation

There was also a previous teaser from the studio to check out:

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
nobody expects GIF

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Good lord. Jesus wasn't a Super Saiyan. And if Jesus doesn't die, then there's no path to salvation for the rest of us so we're all screwed. . .which is not what Jesus or God want.

. . .from a /fanfic perspective it is kind of interesting, Jesus says "screw this" to ungrateful hoomans - it just doesn't work narratively (relative to the Bible). Maybe the developers can make it work though.

TLZ

Banned
Good lord. Jesus wasn't a Super Saiyan. And if Jesus doesn't die, then there's no path to salvation for the rest of us so we're all screwed. . .which is not what Jesus or God want.

. . .from a /fanfic perspective it is kind of interesting, Jesus says "screw this" to ungrateful hoomans - it just doesn't work narratively (relative to the Bible). Maybe the developers can make it work though.
Matthew 10:34

“Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword."

Well this says otherwise. They probably took this part and made something of it.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

“Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword."

Well this says otherwise. They probably took this part and made something of it.

This has an overview of the series, I'm not sure how accurate it is: from that I can someone making a go of this world (though I still think the whole idea of Jesus having a change of heart on the cross because the humans are doing exactly what he knows they are supposed to do is a bit of a stretch).

. . .honestly this reminds me of "The Tyranny of King George" AC DLC in taking a "sacred hero" and corrupting it. . .somehow. From that link though, some of the world building sounds pretty good.

CamHostage

This has an overview of the series, I'm not sure how accurate it is: from that I can someone making a go of this world (though I still think the whole idea of Jesus having a change of heart on the cross because the humans are doing exactly what he knows they are supposed to do is a bit of a stretch).

. . .honestly this reminds me of "The Tyranny of King George" AC DLC in taking a "sacred hero" and corrupting it. . .somehow. From that link though, some of the world building sounds pretty good.

It's a fallen angel story. Seems to make some sense in a headline, as in the simple sensationalized pitch of the story being, "What would the world be like if Christ embodied hatred instead of love?" Zeus and probably other gods have periods of throwing tantrums against their people, so I imagine it reads sort of like that.

...Ultimately, though, I'm not sure what difference it actually makes for an Inquisitor? It's not like that real dark ages periods of inquisition and crusades were happysmiles and fluffydays of peace & love & empathy in a world where people actually DID believe that Christ died for their sins. Tomato, toma'to, the world will still always be fucked up.

More interesting overall (once you get over the metal idea of Sith Jesus) may be this dark world that the player can slip into? That could provided some story twists (or add an expected dimension, sort of literally, to the story) to the concept. Because if this is a world under one true god, and that god has abandoned in its people, then what is this "darker evil from another realm that is trying to enter the world of the living"? The Lamb of God has turned a raging beast, how much darker can it get than that?

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

I like this new trend of mining non-English IPs into games. This lore seems cool as shit but I would have never heard of it unless it was translated.

baphomet

As if the existing story isn't already fanfic.

daveonezero

Banned
As if the existing story isn't already fanfic.
But the whole thing and why the story works is because of a God that sent his Son to die for all people sinning against Him.

This is a God that already destroyed humans a number of times.

It honestly doesn’t fit no matter what you do.

CamHostage

But the whole thing and why the story works is because of a God that sent his Son to die for all people sinning against Him.

This is a God that already destroyed humans a number of times.

It honestly doesn’t fit no matter what you do.

Eh, maybe Jesus was God's last attempt to course-correct humanity, and now that even Jesus has lost his religion, the big guy just lets it all go to hell and instead goes off to make another planet? Or maybe God is like, "Hot dang, a Jesus Christ heel turn? I am omniscient, and even I didn't see this one coming!" and sits back to watch humanity like a soap opera? Or maybe, by putting himself into a Son on Earth, God gave up some ability to contain the narrative and so he needs to work with the devil to somehow bring balance back?

Like I said, that dark world that the Inquisitor can slip into in the game seems to be the square peg in this round hole, so I have no idea what the story is outside the synopsis, but I feel like that underworld has secret answers to what's going on here?

Last edited:

samoilaaa

they didnt took anything from the bible or something like that , the game is made after a series of books

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Melchiah

Eh, maybe Jesus was God's last attempt to course-correct humanity, and now that even Jesus has lost his religion, the big guy just lets it all go to hell and instead goes off to make another planet? Or maybe God is like, "Hot dang, a Jesus Christ heel turn? I am omniscient, and even I didn't see this one coming!" and sits back to watch humanity like a soap opera? Or maybe, by putting himself into a Son on Earth, God gave up some ability to contain the narrative and so he needs to work with the devil to somehow bring balance back?

Like I said, that dark world that the Inquisitor can slip into in the game seems to be the square peg in this round hole, so I have no idea what the story is outside the synopsis, but I feel like that underworld has secret answers to what's going on here?

Or, what if god isn't benevolent? Grant Morrison had an interesting take on it in his Nameless graphic novel.

rO4GmDW.jpg

YPnSUPY.jpg

1EboGsv.jpg

Then there's this...

N40qlEi.jpg

kuncol02

Banned

If that wouldn't work narratively then that series wouldn't span 15 books already.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Inquisitor is a third-person dark fantasy adventure game that takes place in an alternate 1500 A.D. rife with corruption and sin. In this alternate religious reality, Jesus did not die upon the cross but instead broke free and sought violent vengeance on non-believers. Players play as Inquistor Mordimer Madderdin to solve intricate cases and unveil abysmal secrets as a servant of God to enforce the Holy Law. Take on multiple story-driven cases and use strategic sleuthing to track down and interrogate suspects, piece together evidence or even resort to brute force to reveal the sacred truth. The Inquisitor is launching in Q4 2023 for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series S|X, and PC.

samoilaaa

i really like the theme of the game , i enjoy very much a biblical story with a little fantasy , but the game looks like it needs at least 2 more years in development , since the 1st trailer the animations havnt been improved at all

poodaddy

Gold Member

Well, this takes the cake man. This wins the dubious prize of worst trailer for any piece of media I have ever seen in three and a half decades of existence on this mortal coil. Well done, this managed to literally unsell me on the game when I was interested before.

Whoever made that trailer, fire them immediately devs, for your own good.

ZoukGalaxy

This wins the dubious prize of worst trailer for any piece of media I have ever seen in three and a half decades of existence on this mortal coil. Well done, this managed to literally unsell me on the game when I was interested before.
That must be an late April Fool trailer because, wow, we have a new winner in the category of the most ridiculous and "don't buy me" trailer ever. From "looks interesting" to "what they were thinking ?"

Last edited:

RavageX

Well folks, the game is out.

I have heard literally nothing, but it looks kinda interesting maybe for a budget title.

Edit. Not a fan of "Professional" reviews but I did not want to keep looking, I'm at work for cryin' out loud.

Last edited:

MrRibeye

Thanks for posting the IGN review, after watching it I feel like this:

Looks too much like Kingdom Come Deliverance and not enough like Dante's Inferno.

DryvBy

The context is about peace between people people with disagreements. Sound bytes don't work.

Top Bottom