• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I recommend: Grime(Metroidvania). Anyone play it?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I start threads from time to time recommending smaller titles, usually Metroidvanias since it's arguably my favorite genre. A one I finished recently was Grime, and I recommend it a lot. It came out in 2021 on Steam and PC, but it didn't hit consoles until December 2022. It's challenging, has various upgrade elements for both your weapons and your character. You can absorb enemies and gain "traits" which you can also level up. And it has some platforming sections that are pretty difficult and made me feel like I was playing Celeste at times. Though I will stress, this is NOT a platformer. These are just isolated sections that usually lead to secret areas for items or equipment. Most of the game is your typical Metroidvania minor platforming to move from section to section.

I thought it was really good. Came across some bugs though, that I hope will be fixed in a later update.

If anyone loves the genre and hasn't played it, check it out.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It came out in 2021 on Steam and PC
wat
confusedwat.png

You can absorb enemies and gain "traits" which you can also level up.
Hey that reminds me of Aria of Sorrow. Is it anything like that one? Loved that feature, it adds a lot of customization.

I see the game has a demo on Steam, so I might try it later on the Deck. Thanks for the heads up OP.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I did an image search for "grime video game" on google and it came back with 1 image.

I don't know if anyone has ever played this game.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
wat
confusedwat.png

Hey that reminds me of Aria of Sorrow. Is it anything like that one? Loved that feature, it adds a lot of customization.

I see the game has a demo on Steam, so I might try it later on the Deck. Thanks for the heads up OP.
I meant Stadia and PC.

I played Aria of Sorrow years ago, but never finished it, and forgot almost all of it so I couldn't tell you if it's similar.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I meant Stadia and PC.

I played Aria of Sorrow years ago, but never finished it, and forgot almost all of it so I couldn't tell you if it's similar.
You should definetly go and try it again. One of the best metroidvanias I've played.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Some other things I like about it: beating bosses gives you new abilities to traverse the world, so it always feels like you're accomplishing something when you defeat bosses.

Defeating mini bosses throughout the game gives you special items to enhance your character to make the main bosses easier. And they're pretty difficult. Not the most difficult I've ever played, but I'd say quite a bit more difficult than I thought they were in Hollow Knight in my experience.

There's this cool absorb function you have where you can block and or absorb enemies. It's by far the best way to damage enemies and bosses, but you can only do it on certain attacks. And some attacks are invulnerable to this skill. So you really need to learn bosses and their patterns and know which attacks you can use this skill on.

It's really conducive to multiple play styles. You can use weaker quicker weapons or stronger slower weapons. You can build your character around health, stamina(dexterity), or weapon strength. And each weapon has different strength attributes that make it stronger. So you can pick which weapon styles you like best and level your character up based on that. And yes, you can respec your character. There are items you find in the world that allow you to do this.

It actually gives you a reason to explore since all the items you find in the world allow you to upgrade your weapons and character so nothing in this game ever felt pointless to me.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Spooky; was literally in my recommends this morning on STEAM and I saw that it got some "DLC" added as a free update and added to Wishlist. Gameranx video looks A LOT better than the quick peek I did. Reminds me of a much more detailed SALT & SANCTUARY (though that is definitely not a Metroid if I remembering).

drotahorror

Not sure. I'd revisit if I did, I really enjoyed my time with it.

I guess last month they just put out a big rework of the entire game. So much so they recommend anyone restart their game.

Death's Gambit kind of did a similar approach and it worked out great for that game I thought.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
A couple things about this game I forgot to mention are 1) yes, there is fast travel, but it takes several hours to unlock it. Early on, don't focus on backtracking, just wait.

The areas of the map don't show up until you unlock the map for that section. That simply requires you to find a certain thing and interact with it. But until you do, each section will be just a blank screen on your map. But it does show a dotted line to show you how you've traveled. In that case, here's a handy detailed group of maps I found that put all the stuff on there.

It's good to have in case you need it, as each section has tons of stuff to find. Posting it here because it was not easy to find these maps updated for the console version.

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/mobile/folders/1g2zcMHI6Pf-Ml0JVs5O9aLP3jHZ1gkij?pli=1

VN1X

Banned
Yeah played and really liked it.

Not sure if I'll get to the expansion but I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who wants to dive into a very solid Metroidvania with a fantastic atmosphere and an even better combat system. Doesn't overstay its welcome either.

Top Bottom