• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I really need a native PS5 version of TLOU2. Video Proof!

It takes almost a minute and a half for this ground tile texture to fully load on PS5. That's ridiculous! This isn't the only place I've noticed textures refusing to load either. I've seen it on walls too in certain places.
Edit: This is my video and I played it on PS5 from the internal 5.5GB/sec SSD that shipped with the console.

In this video, the Flammable sign texture is high quality when it's just about off camera, but when you actually try to look at it, it switches to the low res version. You can literally see it change from sharp to low res right in front of your eyes. However, when you look away it's like JUST KIDDING, I'LL LOAD FULLY FOR YOU!

There are also just a lot of areas in this game that just feature really crappy low res textures in general. The game's lighting is fantastic, but the textures could use some updating. Also, it would be nice to play this in 4K instead of 1440p.

I'm really hoping they're working on a native PS5 version of this. If they're doing it with Uncharted 4, then they gotta be updating this game too right? I mean, TLOU2 is way better than UC4!

Also, it seems like a lot of late PS4 games are being brought over to PS5 like GoT and Death Stranding.

I really don't want Naughty Dog to be lazy and just call it a day because they've unlocked the frame rate in BC mode.

I would pay $40 for a real upgrade.

Who's with me?

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
The game has tons of LOD and texture pop-in issues that really hurt the otherwise flawless presentation.

I never noticed that much playing the game on release, but there is something about how the eye notices sudden changes in geometry when playing in higher frame rates.

It's just so much more noticeable now with the PS5 framerate patch.

The game has tons of LOD and texture pop-in issues that really hurt the otherwise flawless presentation.

I never noticed that much playing the game on release, but there is something about how the eye notices sudden changes in geometry when playing in higher frame rates.

It's just so much more noticeable now with the PS5 framerate patch.
Same thing I noticed with Horizon Zero Dawn. It’s flaws are much more pronounced now.

Also, my actual friend played days gone on PS4 pro and then again on PS5 and wondered why there were halos around the character (not knowing that it’s just an artifact of screen space reflections) and I had to show him that the PS4 version had it too and he never noticed it until the higher frame rate.

People love high frame rates but to me it makes flaws way more noticeable now.

FranXico

Do you have the game installed in an external drive? Not saying it causes the issues, but it will certainly make it even worse.

A native port wouldn't magically solve pop-in by itself either, the game engine needs to written from scratch to use the new IO system and API.

martino

I'm curious if i would see them more now that i have better screens
i need to get back my copy quickly , i also want to try that 60fps .

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Same thing I noticed with Horizon Zero Dawn. It’s flaws are much more pronounced now.

Also, my actual friend played days gone on PS4 pro and then again on PS5 and wondered why there were halos around the character (not knowing that it’s just an artifact of screen space reflections) and I had to show him that the PS4 version had it too and he never noticed it until the higher frame rate.

People love high frame rates but to me it makes flaws way more noticeable now.
halos around the character sound like motion smoothing artefacts at 30ps, if that's an OLED check your friend's TV settings.

it's a common complaint now, that in FPS boosted games the pop-in got worse. I don't think that is necessarily the case, more that we tend to notice it much better in 60, just like LOD swaps at higher resolutions.

Last edited:
Do you have the game installed in an external drive? Not saying it causes the issues, but it will certainly make it even worse.

A native port wouldn't magically solve pop-in by itself either, the game engine needs to written from scratch to use the new IO system and API.
Internal SSD of the PS5. I thought the PS5 would be able to brute force through this issue as it was also on PS4 but sadly that’s not the case.

I also think a native port will help tremendously with this issue by having better access to the SSD read speeds like Spider-Man remastered.

halos around the character sound like motion smoothing artefacts at 30ps, if that's an OLED check your friend's TV settings.

it's a common complaint now, that in FPS boosted games the pop-in got worse. I don't think that is necessarily the case, more that we tend to notice it much better in 60, just like LOD swaps at higher resolutions.
No, it was specifically SSAO because he was seeing where the shadows were missing in the background around the character where the characters body was covering the bushes and vegetation. He showed me a screenshot and pointed out what he was seeing. It has nothing to do with motion smoothing and he doesn't have a TV capable of that anyway (it's a 60Hz native 4K TV).

Blond

Banned
I played with an SSD on the pro and never noticed pop in. It’s kinda weird the amount of hiccups that it just eliminates till someone without one points out stuff.

I played with an SSD on the pro and never noticed pop in. It’s kinda weird the amount of hiccups that it just eliminates till someone without one points out stuff.
These videos are from the PS5 on the internal SSD, so I don't know what kinda magic your PS4 Pro has, but I also played it on a PS4 Pro back when it came out on an internal SSD and had the same issues.

Hunnybun

I've played through a bit of TLOU2 recently, just to test the 60fps, and man I couldn't believe how crap the textures look. I mean, it's genuinely bad.

Uncharted 4 has this issue too, but it seems even more pronounced here.

I've been gaming on a 65" OLED since February, and - genuinely - those 2 games are the worst looking I've seen on it.

When it was released it was seriously impressive - although even then, not without its issues - but going back to it from PS5 games, jeeeez, it hasn't aged well AT ALL.

Every single last gen patch I've tried looks significantly better now.

You’ll get a “director’s cut” option soon. 😂
Here's hoping. If they did it for Uncharted, why would they leave TLOU2 as backwards compatible only? Don't they want their best game in the best light? I mean, maybe they can even implement some of the better lighting techniques they used in the original gameplay trailer where there were more light sources and better overall lighting like the screenshot below.

ymUMu0Z.png

kyliethicc

It takes almost a minute and a half for this ground tile texture to fully load on PS5. That's ridiculous! This isn't the only place I've noticed textures refusing to load either. I've seen it on walls too in certain places.

In this video, the Flammable sign texture is high quality when it's just about off camera, but when you actually try to look at it, it switches to the low res version. You can literally see it change from sharp to low res right in front of your eyes. However, when you look away it's like JUST KIDDING, I'LL LOAD FULLY FOR YOU!

There are also just a lot of areas in this game that just feature really crappy low res textures in general. The game's lighting is fantastic, but the textures could use some updating. Also, it would be nice to play this in 4K instead of 1440p.

I'm really hoping they're working on a native PS5 version of this. If they're doing it with Uncharted 4, then they gotta be updating this game too right? I mean, TLOU2 is way better than UC4!

Also, it seems like a lot of late PS4 games are being brought over to PS5 like GoT and Death Stranding.

I really don't want Naughty Dog to be lazy and just call it a day because they've unlocked the frame rate in BC mode.

I would pay $40 for a real upgrade.

Who's with me?

Of course its going to be ported to PS5.

Director Cut, Remastered, Collection, something. Who knows what they'll charge.

And yes I'd love a legit next gen version of the game.
Ray traced shadows & reverb, instant loading, better AF, no pop in, higher LODs, native 2160p mode, etc.

omegasc

I have not noticed these bugs on PS4 Pro back in July/August. Maybe it's something introduced by the PS5 patch.

Apeopleman

A remaster for PS5 is definitely coming, along with factions 2.

it’s taking forever so for some reason. naughty dog will use “covid” as an excuse

ZywyPL

Banned
That wil be 70$ sir.

There's something in ND's engine that makes the textures so blurry/low res, UC4 is a fantastic looking game even today after all those years, but the textures were seriously underwhelming already when the game launched.

Now there's a remaster coming to PS5/PC and the textures still bring back memories from PS360 era...

TLoU2, same deal, once again the textures aren't doing the game any justice.

They should ask GG, IG or SSM for help, borrow thier tech or something, because they are sooo much better at texture rendering than ND.

But who knows, maybe they'll prepare some update for Factions 2 launch.

Hugare

Never noticed any pop in

Maybe the person who uploaded the video played it from a slow ass HDD

Saw a lot of Cyberpunk "bug videos" which were caused fue to being played on a 5200rpm HDD and etc

Never noticed any pop in

Maybe the person who uploaded the video played it from a slow ass HDD

Saw a lot of Cyberpunk "bug videos" which were caused fue to being played on a 5200rpm HDD and etc
I uploaded the video and I played it from the internal SSD on PS5.

Go to the same section and see what you get. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bartski

Gold Member
I have not noticed these bugs on PS4 Pro back in July/August. Maybe it's something introduced by the PS5 patch.
It would seem that way but they weren't introduced by the last patch, you just start noticing in 60fps. There are disappearing textures and elements of geometry in specific places I came across and many of those are 100% reproducible on the PS4Pro, I tested it.
Never noticed back then either.

Last edited:
It would seem that way but they weren't introduced by the last patch, you just start noticing in 60fps. There are disappearing textures and elements of geometry in specific places I came across and many of those are 100% reproducible on the PS4Pro, I tested it.
Never noticed back then either.
The section from my video in the original post. Have you tried that on PS4 Pro or PS5 yet? Does it do the same thing to you?

KAL2006

Banned
It's not a question of if it's a question of when. Of course a native Last of Us 2 port will happen with some minor additional features like new weapons, dualsense etc. It could even be bundled with Factions.

RowdyReverb

It's not a question of if it's a question of when. Of course a native Last of Us 2 port will happen with some minor additional features like new weapons, dualsense etc. It could even be bundled with Factions.
I was really disappointed when it didn’t make an appearance at the recent SOP. Maybe they just saving it for when it’s closer to release

Bartski

Gold Member
The section from my video in the original post. Have you tried that on PS4 Pro or PS5 yet? Does it do the same thing to you?

No, but I've seen way worse. Basically, there are many bugs in places where objects actually lose LOD as you get closer, not the other way around.

To check now I'd have to install the game on both consoles, but I remember a despawning cupboard right after Abby's first solo clicker in the squeeze-through that is on both PS4 and PS5, large parts of geometry despawning on the Seraphite island if you decide to backtrack or look at the scenery at a specific place and angle...

I've seen a big thread on reddit or somewhere detailing "post 60 fps patch issues" which then turn out to be also in the base version, with video clip examples.

Last edited:

Woggleman

I played the whole game on PS5 and it looks fine. Turn off all the processing in the game like motion blur and film grain and it looks much better.

KAL2006

Banned
I was really disappointed when it didn’t make an appearance at the recent SOP. Maybe they just saving it for when it’s closer to release

Yes Remasters you don't usually get announced unless it's 2 to 3 months away. I think Sony would prefer to milk Uncharted 4 before Last of Us 2. So if I had to guess it will release Q2/Q3 next year. Also bundling Factions with it also makes sense.

So my guess for Naughty Dog Projects
Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy Remaster - Q1
Last of Us 2 Remastered and Factions - Q2/Q3
Last of Us Remake (PS5 only) - 2023
New IP from Naughty Dog - 2024

No, but I've seen way worse. Basically, there are many bugs in places where objects actually lose LOD as you get closer, not the other way around.

To check now I'd have to install the game on both consoles, but I remember a despawning cupboard right after Abby's first solo clicker in the squeeze-through that is on both PS4 and PS5, large parts of geometry despawning on the Seraphite island if you decide to backtrack or look at the scenery at a specific place and angle...

I've seen a big thread on reddit or somewhere detailing "post 60 fps patch issues" which then turn out to be also in the base version, with video clip examples.

iHaunter

It's not so easy. They had to use crazy techniques to get this game to work on the PS4. It's the same reason Bloodborne hasn't been released at 60 FPS.

They would have to redo a lot of the code/engine to take full advantage of new hardware.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Kerotan

Here's hoping. If they did it for Uncharted, why would they leave TLOU2 as backwards compatible only? Don't they want their best game in the best light? I mean, maybe they can even implement some of the better lighting techniques they used in the original gameplay trailer where there were more light sources and better overall lighting like the screenshot below.

ymUMu0Z.png
The dudes jacket and ellies arm look better in the final. Maybe it's the lighting. The face looks worse but again it might be the lighting.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Soo I just got a ps5, and the whole “ ps5 “ version thing is very confusing.

to get the free upgrade to FF7 Remake I had to go through some side menu links to get the download and after that there isn’t a clear icon or anything stating I indeed have the update. Then after that I had to upload the save to special server or something and renown load it to game. Also apparently now I have two versions of the game installed…

apparently Spider-Man didn’t have a free upgrade? You have to buy a special miles bundle?

The store is equally confusing when buying games that have two versions. Some have two specific downloads while others do not?

Last edited:
So I went through the trouble of testing the same texture issue with version 1.0 from the retail disc with no patches installed and here’s what happened.

vkbest

Its not the patch, Sony BC have problem with stream assets on many games. In fact Sony games are the most affected by the artificial cap they are putting on the SSD.

Horizon, Days Gone, this game, Shadow of Colossus, they have problems with streaming assets on PS5 that PS4 and Pro don't have

Last edited:
Top Bottom