• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I played and 100% completed Assassins Creed 3 Remastered and have a few thoughts.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I got Assassins Creed 3 Remastered as part of the Odyssey Season Pass and finally got around to playing it.

Before I get into the Remaster, I'll share how I felt about the original game back in 2012. Prior to AC3, I had loved the Ezio trilogy and was looking forward to a new character set in colonial America around the revolutionary war.
Despite being mega excited when I saw the demo for it at E3 that year, the final result was a significant disappointment. They changed up quite a few things in AC3 and most of what they added was not very good.
My main issue, was that the game just simply wasn't all that fun and didn't really excel at any one thing and I felt like the game had too much crap in it that was mostly pointless. The game was decent enough for players who stuck mostly to the main story and didn't go out of their way to do side content. Assassins Creed games live and die by their side content. The best kind of side content is the kind that rewards the player for doing it. Whether it's in game currency, armor, and/or a weapon. In this game doing the side content got you nothing and most of it wasn't all that fun. It was just pointless and often tedious tasks that resulted in a checkmark. While most Ubisoft games are developed by multiple teams, this game very much felt like several different games thrown into one. One part traditional Assassins Creed, one part The Sims, and another part Pirates of the Caribbean.

The main character Connor doesn't make an appearance until several hours in and isn't given free reign until another hour or so after that. At that point you get your base of operations where you have to recruit other settlers to stay and do tasks for them to build your base. This felt like the Sims and many of the tasks were not too difficult, but didn't offer a compelling reason to do them, other than doing them and allowing them to craft items that really didn't do much. The stealth in this game was pretty terrible and you will scream at Connor for moments like the usual old school Assassins Creed jank, like randomly getting stuck on something invisible during parkour at a time when you're trying to escape. The worst parts of the game was the Optional Objectives and the boat missions. The boat missions were praised as one of the best parts of the game at the time of release, but the boat was a chore at times and very difficult and frustrating to manuever. This was drastically fixed in AC4 and AC:Rogue. The optional objectives didn't really add anything to missions in the game, but felt tacked on and some of them were extremely tedious and felt like they were getting in the way. Combined with the boat missions they were outright painful.

The DLC, on the otherhand, Tyranny of King Washington was fantastic. They eliminated a lot of the bloat and kept to the fun stuff. I had a blast playing that.

So now that I have gotten that out of the way? Did the remaster make AC3 better?
In minor ways yes, but mostly, no. I enjoyed playing the remaster far more than I did the original game since I knew how to approach the game and knew all the ins and outs, but it's hugely disappointing in that they didn't take an opportunity to clean up some of the junk. They could have gutted the entire crafting system and replaced it with the one in AC4. I would have liked for them to have replaced the boat controls with the controls from AC4, although that would have been difficult and probably not worth the effort. They also could have fixed some of the optional objectives, particularly those with the boat that involved lighting the gunpowder keg of an opposing boat on fire. If you played the game, you will know what I mean. Fuck that crap.

AC3 is still the game it was in 2012, a game that never felt truly finished or properly playtested, because I cannot for the life of me believe any human with a functioning brain found much of what was in the game to be fun. TO this day, I do feel that it has the best villain in the series and the main story is actually pretty good so if you stick to just that, the game can be fun.

Thankfully Ubisoft was aware of these issues and largely fixed them in AC4. To this AC4:Black Flag is one of my favorites. It's light and day better than AC3.

If you got it as part of the AC: Odyssey Season Pass, then by all means check it out. Should you purchase it separately? I'd say no.

Feel free to add your thoughts.

Falcs

Banned
How do you 100% a game that you don't particularly find fun? I can't think of any worse way to spend my limited gaming time.
I recently tried out one the latest Assassins Creeds, Odyssey, or Origins, can't remember which one it was. The one in Egypt.
Didn't find it fun. Quit after about 5 hours. I could tell there's a shit ton of content in it, but I couldn't imagine forcing myself to do it when I wasn't enjoying it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
How do you 100% a game that you don't particularly find fun? I can't think of any worse way to spend my limited gaming time.
I recently tried out one the latest Assassins Creeds, Odyssey, or Origins, can't remember which one it was. The one in Egypt.
Didn't find it fun. Quit after about 5 hours. I could tell there's a shit ton of content in it, but I couldn't imagine forcing myself to do it when I wasn't enjoying it.
I am very obsessive compulsive. I wanted to replay it and see if I was as disappointed as I was then and while I was certainly frustrated that they didn't fix much of what I didn't like, I will say that AC3 is a very different game when you understand the ins and outs of it. If you expect to hate it, you probably not hate it as much as you were expecting. Knowing what I didn't like beforehand, allowed me to alter my approach and appreciate some of the better parts of the game.

Plus, I love getting platinum trophies.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Complete opposite, probably my favourite AC game and probably where it should have ended
But I agree, Villains, Story, Music
Fantastic!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Complete opposite, probably my favourite AC game and probably where it should have ended
But I agree, Villains, Story, Music
Fantastic!
Origins is now my favorite one. AC2 was originally my favorite, but it has aged very poorly and tried to replay the Ezio trilogy on my Xbox One X and I just didn't finish it.

Syndicate for me is the underrated one. I LOVED that game after the bloated mess that was Unity, which sadly could have been great.

Kenpachii

I tried most of them tho, unity was horrible to play looked great.
Syndicate was a lot better, but sadly setting wasn't my thing
Origin probably my favorite, story great, setting is fantastic and dlcs are great.
AC odyssey, while main game is sadly way to bloated which will drive you absolutely insane if you 100% things, if you skip most of the bloat and play the DLC's its absolutely fantastic and equal if not about as good as origin. ( atlantis dlc kinda makes the game for me ).
AC3 got it with odyssey season pass, didn't dig it. story wise it started out great sadly it just didn't age well with combat to the point i couldn't care for it. Also with 144hz screen 60 fps feels kinda janky specially with a cap on it, so yea kinda a bad remaster all around.
AC liberation, probably the worst shit tier game i ever played. It's straight up trash in every way. Also came with ac odyssey season pass.
I did play ac1 when released, game was a horrible buggy mess on PC to the point i couldn't care remotely for it even once.
AC2 never played it because of the absolute bad experience the first one was. Heard good things about it, but unless they completely and utterly remaster it i couldn't care to play it.

Currently busy with another ac odyssey on nightmare mode playthrough and its fun so far.

Kokoloko85

Many years later the AC3 arguement carries on.
I loved it.
Connor isn’t super ezio charming but I dont know that many native americas who had the village burnt that are.
Plus completely different customs and mannerism to the beloved Ezio.

Combat was my favourite at that point from the AC games. Climbing and mechanics were better than previous and great. W
ish there was more varied and Way more assassination missions.
I enjoyed the building and shizzle.
Enjoyed killing red and blue coats at the same time lol :)

Last edited:

joe_zazen

I finished the remaster two weeks ago...my favourite AC, but not one I could imagine 100%-ing.

It was the last one where the modern day story mattered and still had mystery. Post III, it just became annoying and made me not want to play more AC.

The only bad thing is the opening few hours. I think that was the reason so many soured on the game. You cant start your game that way without blowback.

bender

What time is it?
The setting of AC3/Liberation is so appealing. I've had Odyssey Gold in my cart on and off since it's been on sale. I've just spent so much time in Origins, I can't imagine wanting to play Odyssey and start that grind over again.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Many years later the AC3 arguement carries on.
I loved it.
Connor isn’t super ezio charming but I dont know that many native americas who had the village burnt that are.
Plus completely different customs and mannerism to the beloved Ezio.

Combat was my favourite at that point from the AC games. Climbing and mechanics were better than previous and great. W
ish there was more varied and Way more assassination missions.
I enjoyed the building and shizzle.
Enjoyed killing red and blue coats at the same time lol :)
The climbing was awful. One of my least favorite parts, although it wasn't that different than what had come before it or really after it until Origins came along and made climbing on almost anything.

I also didn't care for it back in 2012, especially after loving AC 1 and 2. And like you, I also got it with the Odyssey season pass, and I'm looking forward to going back into it 8 years later. I have heard they cleared up bugs, which was my biggest issue, and the graphical improvements are a big step up. I'm down to give it a mother chance.

Hydroxy

I still remember how AC3 was marketed, big open battles with your own army, cool wild animal hunting and crafting etc. The end product was much inferior but still a decent game. I never played tryanny of George Washington so maybe that could be a reason i might play it.

Valonquar

Least fav of all AC games. Literally going from a storyline CS where Connor says murdering is wrong, and 5 seconds later talking to random NPC mini-quest who asks you to murder someone in cold blood for nearly no reason.

joe_zazen

I also didn't care for it back in 2012, especially after loving AC 1 and 2. And like you, I also got it with the Odyssey season pass, and I'm looking forward to going back into it 8 years later. I have heard they cleared up bugs, which was my biggest issue, and the graphical improvements are a big step up. I'm down to give it a mother chance.

you’ve got to power through the first 3-4 hours. The opening is pretty slow and kinda bad.

kiphalfton

Even if I tried, I'm way too god dam far behind. Last game I played was AC2. There's been what like half a dozen games released on console since then?

ExpandKong

Banned
This was the one that killed the franchise for me. I loved Ezio and I think Brotherhood was probably the best of those older games. Revelations started to feel too bloated for me but I powered through. Then I got to 3, and you’ve got this grumpy ass protagonist and a whole lot of extra bullshit to do and the ship stuff just wasn’t fun and then the modern day plot just shit the bed there and I was done.

I’m only now getting back into it slowly with Rogue on the Switch.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This was the one that killed the franchise for me. I loved Ezio and I think Brotherhood was probably the best of those older games. Revelations started to feel too bloated for me but I powered through. Then I got to 3, and you’ve got this grumpy ass protagonist and a whole lot of extra bullshit to do and the ship stuff just wasn’t fun and then the modern day plot just shit the bed there and I was done.

I’m only now getting back into it slowly with Rogue on the Switch.
Black Flag remarkably fixed many of the issues I had with AC3. The side content was fun and actually produced meaningful rewards that made you want to do them. The crafting was much better and simpler to use. It's a mystery to me how ship battles in AC3 were praised as much as they were. Even before AC4 came out, I found them to be unfun. They just weren't for me. When I had heard that AC4 was expanding the ship battles greatly, I was very nervous, but my concerns were not warranted as AC4 improved the ship battles so much that I ended up loving that part of the game. The only things that AC4 really got criticized for was having too many tail missions and too much repitition. I do agree with that, but the repetitive stuff at least was fun to me anyway.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I didn’t like climbing trees and then running around wooden forts just to get to my destination. The beginning stuff took forever. My biggest gripe was that the trailers made it out to be cooler than it was when you actually played it. I didn’t enjoy it when it came out. Revelations and Brotherhood were good games. AC3 was where I stopped having fun. The colonial stuff isn’t for everyone.

prag16

Banned
My favorite AC game, easily. Connor is a little wooden, but the two main villains and the setting make the game for me. That being said, I could not possibly imagine 100%'ing this game. Sticking mostly to the critical path is the way to go. It's fun to mess around with some things here and there, to a point, but I barely touched the hunting/homesteading aspects, and the side quests and optional objectives don't add much and are a chore more than anything else.

Is the remaster significantly better than the original PC version super-maxed? If not then I don't see a reason to bother buying this again.

ExpandKong

Banned
Black Flag remarkably fixed many of the issues I had with AC3. The side content was fun and actually produced meaningful rewards that made you want to do them. The crafting was much better and simpler to use. It's a mystery to me how ship battles in AC3 were praised as much as they were. Even before AC4 came out, I found them to be unfun. They just weren't for me. When I had heard that AC4 was expanding the ship battles greatly, I was very nervous, but my concerns were not warranted as AC4 improved the ship battles so much that I ended up loving that part of the game. The only things that AC4 really got criticized for was having too many tail missions and too much repitition. I do agree with that, but the repetitive stuff at least was fun to me anyway.

I might go back and check out Black Flag eventually after I finish Rogue (they came together, after all). People have always talked about how amazing it is but I personally couldn't get more than two hours in back in the day, it seemed like an even slower burn than AC3 at the time.

This is the only thing I know about Black Flag beyond the first two hours:

Kokoloko85

The climbing was awful. One of my least favorite parts, although it wasn't that different than what had come before it or really after it until Origins came along and made climbing on almost anything.

It was the first AC game where you could climb tree’s, mountains and more. I loved that fact.
Then it dissapeared for a few games, I havent played then after Syndicate and didnt know that about Origins which is cool

joe_zazen

I might go back and check out Black Flag eventually after I finish Rogue (they came together, after all). People have always talked about how amazing it is but I personally couldn't get more than two hours in back in the day, it seemed like an even slower burn than AC3 at the time.

This is the only thing I know about Black Flag beyond the first two hours:

if having a coherent universe written with repect for the past and a plan for the future matters to a player, IV is bad...real bad. But, It doesn’t start slow, it starts with a literal bang, then you get a magic suit that turns you into an assassin.

as far as the mechanics and stuff goes, it is on par with Rogue and ACIII. I think the reason people like that one and AC2 is that the main characters in those are Han Solo, and people like playing as that kind of guy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom