• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I pity people who don't play video games

teezzy

Banned
What a cringy post.
There are many other interesting ways to spend your time beside videogames.
Playing games doesn't make you better than other people, so stop seeing your hobby as a source of self-worth.
I'm always surprised how detached from reality some gamers are.
lol this is cringy af are you 13?

I'm nearly 30, actually.

My life is fulfilling in many ways; full of loved ones and accomplishment. The two of you assuming that it isn't, just because I'm proud of my favorite hobby, is very revealing that you don't feel the same in regards your own lives. You definitely have my empathy, but I hope you find happiness elsewhere.

Video games aren't my main source of self-worth, but add to my overall enjoyment of life on a daily basis. Hopefully there's something out there which does the same for the both of you.

So you can only have fun in your life if you play video games, sounds like a kind of one sided way to look at things.
To be fair i was super high when i made that post. I agree with you that it is one sided and doesn't make much sense. You can have fun in your life through a variety of ways.

Like someone told me after asking them for the 90th time, it’s just not for some people. Though deep down I feel like there’s a unreasonable amount of reluctance to play video games as if you need to be a stereotypical “gamer” archetype to enjoy.

Last edited:
I'm nearly 30, actually.

My life is fulfilling in many ways; full of loved ones and accomplishment. The two of you assuming that it isn't, just because I'm proud of my favorite hobby, is very revealing that you don't feel the same in regards your own lives. You definitely have my empathy, but I hope you find happiness elsewhere.

Video games aren't my main source of self-worth, but add to my overall enjoyment of life on a daily basis. Hopefully there's something out there which does the same for the both of you.

That's excellent that your life is full of accomplishment and loved ones and you feel "proud" of your hobby.

It's quite revealing what you're assuming regarding those individuals you quoted - that they don't feel proud in their lives. So you're basically reverting back to what they're doing to you - assuming. Why are you saying they don't have happiness and are not proud of their lives?

It's great that video games are one of your sources of self-worth and that they add an overall enjoyment to your life. I'm sure they do the same for many people here.

That is not what the discussion is about though. You mentioned that you "genuinely pity them" (referring to boomers and women). That is the crux of the discussion here. There is completely no issue with you enjoying video games and their positively impacting your life. But to assume so much, a fact that you're criticizing others for doing TO YOU is hilarious when you're doing it already to others.

Everyone finds "self-worth" in many facades of life. One of them is video games for you. Fantastic. I'm happy that they add enjoyment to your life. But I hope you realize that there are many other "hobbies" that provide happiness. I'm not going to pity you for not doing an activity I enjoy. I'm not going to think that your self worth is less or you're less proud in your life. But I definitely am going to pity for thinking like this. As you said, I find it "very revealing" that you feel such and you definitely have my empathy.

teezzy

Banned
That's excellent that your life is full of accomplishment and loved ones and you feel "proud" of your hobby.

It's quite revealing what you're assuming regarding those individuals you quoted - that they don't feel proud in their lives. So you're basically reverting back to what they're doing to you - assuming. Why are you saying they don't have happiness and are not proud of their lives?

It's great that video games are one of your sources of self-worth and that they add an overall enjoyment to your life. I'm sure they do the same for many people here.

That is not what the discussion is about though. You mentioned that you "genuinely pity them" (referring to boomers and women). That is the crux of the discussion here. There is completely no issue with you enjoying video games and their positively impacting your life. But to assume so much, a fact that you're criticizing others for doing TO YOU is hilarious when you're doing it already to others.

Everyone finds "self-worth" in many facades of life. One of them is video games for you. Fantastic. I'm happy that they add enjoyment to your life. But I hope you realize that there are many other "hobbies" that provide happiness. I'm not going to pity you for not doing an activity I enjoy. I'm not going to think that your self worth is less or you're less proud in your life. But I definitely am going to pity for thinking like this. As you said, I find it "very revealing" that you feel such and you definitely have my empathy.

Video games are a small fraction of my life. They're entertainment. They don't add meaning, just enjoyment. Like I said, I'm almost 30. I don't look down on people for not playing video games. That'd be retarded. Calm down.

Mozza

To be fair i was super high when i made that post. I agree with you that it is one sided and doesn't make much sense. You can have fun in your life through a variety of ways.
I was not trying to be offensive in anyway, just the whole tone of this thread makes little sense to me, I love video games but also movies and books, and many other interests.

Hudo

Eh, I don't know. I've head very interesting discussions with people who weren't into video games. For example, I learned quite a lot from a girl who really was into all sorts of visual arts, especially Impressionism and Fauvism.
I also liked the discussion I had with a dude who was a hardcore fan of various horror novels/stories. Dude basically developed a structured overview of the components of different kind of horror stories and how "horror" might be facilitated by that.

People enjoy what they enjoy and we can learn from each other, IMHO.

Top Bottom