• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I pity people who don't play video games

teezzy

Banned
teezzy teezzy is my spirit animal :messenger_bicep:

tenor.gif

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Agreed, I believe gaming can offer life changing experiences and open up a door of opportunities. I remember back in 2011/12 I played Assassin's Creed 2 for the first ever time and it was such a surreal experience, it's like 15th century Italy came to life and I was experiencing it, it's soundtrack is also one of my favourites and I listen to it till this day. I've actually planned several holidays over the next couple of years to places like Florence/Venice/Rome and then Istanbul. Mostly because of those games.

Witcher 3 is my all time favourite, I played it for the first time just a year ago and the game is brilliant, it's everything I could have wanted in a game, epic story/narrative, massive open world with immersive missions and characters with so much depth, I could go on and on. I then began reading the books which are just as brilliant if not better, I enjoyed the Netflix series as well although it's my least favourite.

All this being said I remember just over 10 years ago, gaming was seen as something really nerdy and was associated with the geek culture, but it's crazy how significantly things have changed, about 15-20 years ago you could be a pro level FPS gamer and you'd be considered a loser but today you can make insane amounts of money from it through Youtube/Streaming/Tournaments, the gaming culture has grown exponentially. It's also great too see gamers who subvert expectations, like Henry Cavill who(plays WOW and Witcher and many other games, recently he built his own PC and the whole thing went viral, it's nice seeing those kind of things.

John Day

Like most people, I've come to terms with the fact that my life will never be grand or adventurous. My job is boring and my lifestyle is simple. To be perfectly honest, I sorta like it that way. I'm not one to go base jumping or sailing or whatever it is fun people do.

As a proud representative of common folk, media and entertainment have always driven me to feeling a sense of life larger than my own. Whether that be through movies, music, books, or video games. I cherish it.

While movies and music are things which most people are accustomed to enjoying, both books and videos games are more niche, and both surely have the capabilities of captivating the imagination in a sense which movies and music can not.

So many people just zone out watching Netflix or Hulu when they could be exploring the old west in Red Dead Redemption 2, experiencing what it's really like to be a Jedi in Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, or living out their medieval Slavic fantasies in Witcher 3.

Exploring these environments, interacting with those who populate them, and fighting baddies of all sorts along the way, has brought me hours of joy between these three games alone.

On top of that there's the NHL franchise, Tekken, Monster Hunter, Forza, Lumines, etc. All sorts of games for one to enjoy and just have all different types of experiences first hand. There's something for everyone!

Meanwhile some people just sit there and watch TV instead, or do like crossword puzzles or something. Maybe zone out on Instagram - I don't know.

Mostly boomers, and a lot of women, I've met who have no idea just what gaming has become in recent years. In a sense, I genuinely pity them. They have no idea. Especially during quarantine like this, I'd be going mad if it weren't for gaming.
AMEN.

I love video games, but experiencing the world and having fun activities with friends and family will always be better. I can live in all of the fantasy RPG's I want but nothing will ever beat my near 2 week trip to Europe or diving beneath the ocean to explore a whole new world.

sublimit

Banned
While movies and music are things which most people are accustomed to enjoying, both books and videos games are more niche, and both surely have the capabilities of captivating the imagination in a sense which movies and music can not.
I don't agree with that at all. I think music has the power to captivate the imagination much more than video games (or movies).
In fact i strongly believe that video games are catastrophical for the imagination of a young child especially games that have come after 2000.

There's nothing that can feed the imagination of a young child more than a fairy tale or a good children's book.Ideally for young teenagers books and music are also the best for their imagination.
And of course the outside world and especially the countryside.

Astral Dog

I pity people who pity people who play videogames, sometimes they are just being a little rude

edit:wait i think i got it wrong 🤭

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I mean seriously. The Last Guardian is better than any pixar movie. It's on par or better emotionally than some studio ghibli movies.
And people miss out because these are just stupid vidya games

Astral Dog

I don't agree with that at all. I think music has the power to captivate the imagination much more than video games (or movies).
In fact i strongly believe that video games are catastrophical for the imagination of a young child especially games that have come after 2000.

There's nothing that can feed the imagination of a young child more than a fairy tale or a good children's book.Ideally for young teenagers books and music are also the best for their imagination.
And of course the outside world and especially the countryside.
Most things can be healthy with proper balance, even videogames, problem is games can be hella addictive and young people (and some adults) are caught in a trap were they need to teach themselves how to live a healthier lifestyle because videogames (and other more serious stuff) got them distracted and into unhealthy habits.

But yeah videogames are pretty cool, no replacement for movies, music or books (thats silly) but a unique engrossing medium all on their own 👍

Last edited:

mancs

Like most people, I've come to terms with the fact that my life will never be grand or adventurous. My job is boring and my lifestyle is simple. To be perfectly honest, I sorta like it that way. I'm not one to go base jumping or sailing or whatever it is fun people do.

As a proud representative of common folk, media and entertainment have always driven me to feeling a sense of life larger than my own. Whether that be through movies, music, books, or video games. I cherish it.

So many people just zone out watching Netflix or Hulu when they could be exploring the old west in Red Dead Redemption 2, experiencing what it's really like to be a Jedi in Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, or living out their medieval Slavic fantasies in Witcher 3.

Exploring these environments, interacting with those who populate them, and fighting baddies of all sorts along the way, has brought me hours of joy between these three games alone.

On top of that there's the NHL franchise, Tekken, Monster Hunter, Forza, Lumines, etc. All sorts of games for one to enjoy and just have all different types of experiences first hand. There's something for everyone!

Meanwhile some people just sit there and watch TV instead, or do like crossword puzzles or something. Maybe zone out on Instagram - I don't know.

Mostly boomers, and a lot of women, I've met who have no idea just what gaming has become in recent years. In a sense, I genuinely pity them. They have no idea. Especially during quarantine like this, I'd be going mad if it weren't for gaming.
i don't(pity anyone for doing their own thing, away from gaming) .

although i've loved games , and still do , i think if you fill your life with life moments of your own (if given the chance , in the right place etc) like story driven games , are based on good , interesting lives , people , incidents,... like you?,...

you would drop the pad , and grab a ticket,...

but hey , life isn't a game, is it,,...

my gaming , came about , due to being in a home of modest nature , and being in the right place at the right time ,at the birth of gaming , as we know it,.
it being a growing medium in home and arcade, it became a kind of , cartoon world , in a screen , i could participate in and enjoy , to escape to that reality , more so , unfortunately , away from reality , these days...

i think games , are like any other addiction , fad , love , hobby,...

some have it , some don't

don't pity , ffs , go look at the wonderful , amazing sights away from the screen , now and again.

imagine it , hey , yo , old man , you don't play games!? pahh hahaha ,,, i just finished Indiana jones , top game...

*old man thinks* i am Indiana jones...

yours sincerely not , boomer.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I envy people who are able to apply their passion and energy to something more productive, to be honest, but I certainly don't regret video games being one of my big hobbies. So many unique experiences.

pr0cs

Compared to such passive media like TV/Movies gaming walks circles around them. Yes often games have a fixed start/end but YOU have to take it there, where in traditional media you are just along for the ride.
Lost count how many great stories I had to unfold these last 5 years or so, like the OP I feel sorry that so many people missed them or discounted them because they were gaming related.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

Try to travel, at least once a year, then go back to the routine and video games. It's worth it.

Today it's difficult to find people that don't play video games, on their smartphone, console or PC. I don't think I know one person at my age (I'm 36) that doesn't play games.

Jagz

That's why VR excites me so much; because you can now sort of simulate those adventurous activities, virtually.

For instance, when I'm playing Pavlov VR, it really does feel like I'm playing IRL Call of Duty/ Counter-Strike; I couldn't get that experience from watching a movie or even playing CoD/CS:GO on a 2D screen; it's just not the same level of immersion or physicality. The first time I played on the Majora's Mask Clowtower map in Pavlov was like a childhood dream come true, here's a video of what it looks like in VR: link

John2290

The grass is always greener and all that shite but perhaps don't pity, maybe enlighten. I don't know, I'm just a simple Irish man from the country so sure what do I know.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Very proud of introducing my wife into gaming world. She Started with titles like little big planet and don't starve to all to hundreds of hours playtime on Switch and breaking 2 joy cons.

Alan Wake

For me games have really been a big part of major changes in my life. Shenmue II got me interested in China which made me travel there, then study the language and then meeting my wife there.

But games have also been with me through tragedy and hardships. I realised when I looked through my collection that even when tragedy struck my family and we were suddenly two left instead of four, I kept buying games. I may not have played as much as before or later because I was a wreck, but I never stopped playing. Games are not just entertainment and leisure, they're actually important to me

Kumomeme

everyone has their own personal preferences. if something not interest them, they not gonna miss anything
they can say similliar stuff to us gamers. there surely a stuff what we didnt like and they like.
i dont pity them. it just diversity in people interest

that said if they or whoever manage to get a hook to one of these videogame world, they not gonna lose or waste anything. its something us gamers love to share with people around the world. i dont pity them if they didnt get it. but gonna loudly applaud them if they get in.

even for videogame, there various type of genre and gamers. among those there are casuals and hardcore. taste is different. there is those fans of multiplayer, moba, fps etc that not bother with storyline driven type. not necessary all fans of single player open world game. some of them, even small game that nobody bat eye on probably have bigger impact in their lives, for example.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Omg, at last we are attacking!
Fight and you may die. Run, and you'll live... at least a while. Don't miss the chance to tell our enemies, who prefers watching "childish" Tv shows, that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our Stadia!

I’d actually like to go back to the world where video games simply are not for everybody. The hobby is very forced nowadays.

ANIMAL1975

Bro.... I couldn't have said it better! Cheers.

DelireMan7

they could be exploring the old west in Red Dead Redemption 2, experiencing what it's really like to be a Jedi in Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, or living out their medieval Slavic fantasies in Witcher 3.

Exploring these environments, interacting with those who populate them, and fighting baddies of all sorts along the way, has brought me hours

This basically summarize why I love videogames with passion. Exploring these imaginary worlds, bring me unlimited amount of joy and allow me to live countless adventures.

It reminds me this sentence (don't know the origin of it) :
"I am a gamer not because I don't have a life but because I choose to have many"

EDIT: also this can be said for any type of media. Everyone find their fun somewhere else.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Thanks for the positive views, TeezyD. It's always good to be reminded of the upsides of the hobby.

My only niggle would be that gaming, while immersive in some ways, doesn't really provide "first-hand experience" of the worlds you're interacting with. It's a game, after all, not a real-world experience. You aren't really experiencing the old west in RDR2, for example. You're experiencing Rockstars' sanitized, entertain-ified 2-D version of it, safely, from the comfort of your couch.

I consider gaming an escapist form of entertainment, and not much more. Other people watch movies or TV. I play games. I prefer them because they are more interactive, whereas watching TV movies is a very passive experience. But I wouldn't say they add a whole lot to my life, apart from being a pleasant, entertaining diversion.

Playing games at a very young age was an immense help to my career in I.T. It has helped a lot in terms of efficient problem solving skills and coming up with "thinking outside the box" solutions for automation or many other endeavors.

I got a lot of entertainment value out of games but I also got a lot of educational value out of them as well and to that, I'm very thankful.
This is an amazing post...and I agree it helped so much with my career as a Software Engineer...It reinforced my critical thinking skills and did wonders for my hand/eye coordination too.

Plus i've said this before...but as a kid my mom sat me down and we played Chrono Trigger/Final Fantasy 6(3 here) together through completion(She was a gamer, loved RPGs on the SNES) . She made me read every dialogue box..my reading level/skills as a kid were always rated through the roof as a result of it. People see videogames and think mindless fun, but the skills you can learn/master from playing them are severely underrated.

Last edited:

Onironauta

What a cringy post.
There are many other interesting ways to spend your time beside videogames.
Playing games doesn't make you better than other people, so stop seeing your hobby as a source of self-worth.
I'm always surprised how detached from reality some gamers are.

Last edited:

RyRy93

Cringy but I agree with the general sentiment, most people don't know what they are missing. There are games out there for everyone, people go crazy for GoT but aren't even aware that stuff like The Witcher 3 exists...

Last edited:

Clarissa

Banned
I know of someone who doesn't play games, doesn't listen to music, doesn't watch sports or TV. I really don't know what the fuck he does for fun.

I'm not that close to this person anyway.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Games can be a good hobby in a pandemic when you’re stuck at home, but seriously, these last few years, every time I turn off a game, I take a look at myself and can’t help thinking “welp, there’s more of my life wasted on games”.

I don’t think that people who have a full, accomplished life are missing much not playing video games, honestly.

SJRB

Gold Member
Games can be a good hobby in a pandemic when you’re stuck at home, but seriously, these last few years, every time I turn off a game, I take a look at myself and can’t help thinking “welp, there’s more of my life wasted on games”.

I don’t think that people who have a full, accomplished life are missing much not playing video games, honestly.
Time enjoyed doing anything is never time wasted.

The word "cringe" is overused, and I see that in action in this thread. While I don't agree with the "pity" portion, I do see where teezzy teezzy is coming from. And based on my anecdotal observation of his posting -- whether you agree or disagree with him, he seems like one of the realest dudes on this forum, always saying what's on his mind with no fear. So, my respect to you, TeezzyD.

In my mind, I like to divide hobbies into active/producing hobbies, and passive/consuming hobbies. I have a couple of hobbies of both types that I engage in. To me, video games fall expressly in the latter category. I've engaged with it for the better part of 30 years now, and it has brought me immense joy, bonds with people (including some practically life-long friendships), and a general sense of accomplishment after beating a tricky level, a tough boss, etc. As an example, this past Christmas I took my Super Famicom mini to my family gathering, not even really planning to use it. There was downtime between all the family activity so I just plugged it in to kill a bit of time. By the end of it, it had become a grand family event, with almost everyone in the family playing games -- my brother and I were beating several coop games (Turtles in Time, Contra Spirits, Final Fight 2, etc). Even my young nieces and nephews joined in the action, and they loved the classic games. By the end we were having a bona fide, full blown Street Fighter tournament, and many good times and laughs were had by all.

Video games are not for everyone, and I don't pity or belittle anyone that chooses to not participate in the hobby. One thing I do take issue, though, is people that somehow try to look down on me or are judgmental of this hobby I really enjoy. Thankfully, that doesn't really happen with family and friends, and even significant others. Where I've personally had that happen the most is with casual girlfriends, who will try to judge me for it and make it seem like it's some sort of incredibly immature or childish activity. Yet, almost invariably in those situations, I'm the unquestionably more "mature" one, as far as life station goes -- I have a fantastic job, incredibly good finances, a place and car of my own, cook my own meals, blah blah blah. Yet, they have the audacity to try to belittle me for video games, while at the same time they turn around and watch hours on end of some TV show like The Bachelor(ette), Real Housewives of (Insert City here), some bridal dress show, or something else like that. Or, like Teezzy said, just vegging out on social media for hours on end. (Well, this is why they're casual girlfriends to begin with, I would never seriously date someone like that anyway.)

It's interesting to me that something like video games can be looked down by some, yet when I talk to those same people about sports (I love football and baseball), it's more "accepted." But I think -- while I love watching spectacular feats of athleticism -- that to me sports are even more passive than video games. At least in video games, there's a direct engagement portion where I'm controlling the fate of the on-screen character, and their success or failure is a direct result of my skill (or lack thereof). While I personally get more enjoyment from playing video games than I do from passively watching sports (I like to more actively play sports instead), I do understand how sports are more accepted -- they've been around for centuries (millennia?), have a fixed duration, and in my opinion do encourage socialization more than video games historically have.

This is a good point, and something that is deeply personal and therefore varies from person to person. If someone is playing video games and they feel like video games are limiting their potential, or preventing them from living their own personal definition of a "full, accomplished life," then yea, they should probably not play as many video games, or play at all. I don't feel that way, and video games are one of several hobbies that have brought me immense joy and fulfillment in life. But if video games were the only thing I did, I could potentially see myself feeling a bit this way; that's why variety and experimentation is important.

Cheers!

Athreous

I enjoy video games since I was 5 (35 right now), and yeah, games always helped me, I even learned new languages because I wanted to know what those characters were saying in FFVII, back in the day :D

I find it stupid to practice anything that can end up killing you, so I'm not really interested in that kind of stuff...

Games are my passion, but I do love music, movies, books and series too, as well as anime! :D! A totally nerd they'll say, haha!

Mozza

There will always be people having fun playing games. Sadly there will always be people jaded because their not having fun in their lives. And they don't know why.

Haves and the have nots.

As Mr. T would say

Fvd2yX6.jpg

So you can only have fun in your life if you play video games, sounds like a kind of one sided way to look at things.

Good lord, I love video games but I pity people who think this. Everyone likes different things. I love reading but I don't pity people who don't read. I'm OK with enjoying what I like to do instead of worrying about why anyone else is not doing it. This is just sad thinking.

Mozza

Like the way that video games give you lots of fun, even more with the current pandemic, I have seen Animal crossing and other games as a welcome diversion from the other things going on in the world.

As for people that do not play video games, perhaps they have other hobbies and interests in their lives that keep them entertained, no need to pity them.

Last edited:

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
I am sorry but playing videogames is just a time sink. Don’t try to find reasoning in it, just accept this fact and enjoy your entertainment. Just a side note: I do play videogames and I enjoy my time with it, but I also acknowledge that I could, perhaps, have made a better use of my time by studying something or going out...

...But of course this is just a very simplistic and shallow opinion :)

levyjl1988

Banned
Gaming offers the brain a different way of thinking, dimension wise. Categorization, prioritization, sorting, couple that with watching video game reviews and analysis and it changes the way you think and isolating problems, models, etc. You are more creative with problem solving and mechanics.

xrnzaaas

OP definitely went overboard with his statement. Personally I'm just sad that some people don't give video games a chance, because they still don't see them as hobby for adults. My friend's wife is like that, she won't even try playing games with more mature, serious themes or games with a lot of focus on the art style despite liking these things in movies, real life art or books.

Top Bottom