• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I owe an apology to 2014. 2021 is making it look like a GOAT year.

It isn't great, but let's at least wait until usual summer shows to completely write the year off. Games coming mere months after announcements is no longer completely unheard of (Paper Mario, Fallout 4, etc).

But, right now, it's not looking that great.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Shadow of Mordor was a nice surprise. Assassin's creed with quality of life enhancements and a fun boss personality system in place. ...the fact that you put Advanced Warfare in there which killed momentum for Activision for YEARS says a lot about the post too.
lol wut?

This is what I said right at the start. I admitted most were flawed games and not a single one felt goty worthy.

I've always thought that year kinda sucked. It's probably still the worst year of last gen. It was full of flawed games, downgrades everywhere and not a single game felt goty worthy. Hell, a mediocre Dragon Age Inquisition winning GOTY awards kinda proves my point.

my whole point is that i would play these flawed games than not play anything at all which is how this year is turning out to be.

SlimySnake

It isn't great, but let's at least wait until usual summer shows to completely write the year off. Games coming mere months after announcements is no longer completely unheard of (Paper Mario, Fallout 4, etc).

But, right now, it's not looking that great.
well, if Nintendo comes out and announced BOTW2 for this year, and Bethesda announces a November release for Star Citizen, Ubisoft announces their yearly AC title, and GG also releases Horizon 2 for the end of this year then great. All will be forgiven.

But as of right now, BF6, Halo and Ratchet are the only AAA games set to come out for the rest of the year. And lets face it, BF and Ratchet never win GOTY awards. Halo might actually win GOTY this year by default lol

Guilty_AI

my whole point is that i would play these flawed games than not play anything at all which is how this year is turning out to be.
People in this thread have been throwing dozens of examples of stuff you'll be able to or are already able to play this year

SlimySnake

And funny that Driveclub looks better than Dirt5 also made by devs from ex evolution studio ;d
Dirt looks excellent in the right conditions. Just like Driveclub.

3pNY7kc.gif

ice.gif

The NYC levels on ice look absolutely spectacular.

Graciaus

Dark Souls 2 released that year so it is automatically better then 2021. Unless Elden Ring pulls a surprise release. Don't quote me with your B team comments.

Nico_D

What? Just finished Ryza 2 and now about 10 hrs into Bravely Default 2 which I have enjoyed a lot.

This year has been great for me so far. And I'm yet to play Hitman 3 and soon to be released on consoles Disco Elysium.

sncvsrtoip

Dirt looks excellent in the right conditions. Just like Driveclub.

3pNY7kc.gif

ice.gif

The NYC levels on ice look absolutely spectacular.
it can sometimes but also can be quite ugly (driveclub is more even and with proper condidtion looks awsome) and also this stutter on ps5 even after latest patch, not best game to be honest

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

I've always thought that year kinda sucked. It's probably still the worst year of last gen. It was full of flawed games, downgrades everywhere and not a single game felt goty worthy. Hell, a mediocre Dragon Age Inquisition winning GOTY awards kinda proves my point.

And yet after seeing what this year is turning out to be, I am wondering if I didnt appreciate it enough. March 2014 saw the releases of Infamous Second Son, Titanfall, MGS Ground Zeroes and Downgrade Souls 2. What do we got releasing this month? The only next gen games we have gotten so far this year are Destruction All Stars and Medium. They make Infamous Second Son look like Citizen Kane.

The rest of the year was jam packed too after a somewhat slow summer. Watch Dogs got a massive downgrade, but it was a fairly enjoyable game. Destiny had issues, loot droprate, forever 29, and a somewhat shallow expansion, but looking back at the last 7 years of destiny. Those four months were by far the best. Even taken king didnt have that magic of getting your first Gjallahorn or Vex.

Here is a full list.

• Infamous Second Son
  • Dark Souls 2
  • MGS Ground Zeroes
  • Titanfall
  • Watch Dogs
  • Destiny
  • Far Cry 4
  • Dragon Age Inquisition
  • Evil Within
  • Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls
  • Cod Advanced Warfare (First true next gen cod. Amazing visual showcase)
  • AC Unity (First true next gen AC. Again, gorgeous looking game unfortunately riddled with bugs at launch. Still my favorite AC of the gen.)
  • DriveClub (Another rushed game, but man it looked next gen as fuck)
  • LittlebigPlanet 3
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Smash Bros
  • Bayonetta 2
  • Shadow of Mordor

I have played and enjoyed almost all of these games. They are no Witcher 3 or RDR2, but I was sitting here jerking off to the sad 'Big Suck' thread, and realized that I didnt appreciate what I had in 2014. I would kill to play a new next gen Infamous, next gen Titanfall, Dragon Age, AC, DriveClub 2 and Dark Souls 4 this year. I mean we are actually being made to look forward to Kena of all games because there is nothing else until Ratchet comes out in June.

Looking at the list above, not a single studio that made the games above is set to release a game this year, and thats depressing.
What's your quarrel with ISS? I think it's a great game and one of the few that stands the test of time. Besides, 2014 didn't have a pandemic lurking around and screwing game development.

SlimySnake

What's your quarrel with ISS? I think it's a great game and one of the few that stands the test of time. Besides, 2014 didn't have a pandemic lurking around and screwing game development.
nothing. i think its a good 7 out of 10 game. Couldve been a lot better. i thought the first two were better and was disappointed when this didnt turn out to be the best of the lot.

gorgeous graphics though.

NullZ3r0

Banned
If H:FW shows up this year, I'll cut off my left nut and live stream it.

You don't show just cinematics of a game in mid-2020 in the midst of a pandemic and then release it a year later. Like GOW:R if I saw gameplay I'd believe it was coming out this year.

If HFW comes out this year, then it's probably just the PS4 game with a new coat of paint. You'll get faster loading and ray-traced puddles but it's essentially the PS4 game.

Faithless83

Banned
Come on, man.
Everything was delayed to hell and back last year, the industry is still on "covid adjustments" mode.

Even so, I'm still betting we'll see some surprises. Devs are currently announcing their games a lot closer to release than before.

Plus it's Fing 4th of March.

Ian Henry

Idk about 2014 given that some of the best games of that year(Wolfenstein: The New Order and Bayonetta 2) were either snubbed or barely nominated so nah. That isn't an accomplishment. Hopefully we'll have some dope games this year.

Last edited:

Fbh

Damn just realized 2014 had Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2 and Tropical Freeze on WiiU.
That's way better than any Switch year aside from 2017 (to me, of course)

Damn you're right, i though it came before TLOU and GT6, but it's actually opposite, my bad lol. Well then 2014 was DS2 and Bayonetta 2.

Had to double check too, I was sure I didn't have a Ps4 when this came out but I guess I did.

Kinda makes you appreciate backwards compatibility on these new consoles.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Nah, 2021 looking better.
I loved Destiny but alot of those games sucked.

Enjoyed these
  • Infamous Second Son ( Good )
  • Destiny ( Great game, one of my favourites of the generation )
  • Dragon Age Inquisition
  • Evil Within
  • Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls
  • Smash Bros ( Great )
  • Bayonetta 2. ( Amazing )
  • Shadow of Mordor ( Great )
  • AC Unity (Buggy as shit but was a great advancement but was hated not a good example of 2014)
  • DriveClub (Great racer )
Not these
  • Dark Souls 2 ( hugely disappointing and doesnt deserve the name Dark souls )
  • MGS Ground Zeroes ( Loved Phantom pain but Ground Zero was Not even a full game more like a demo )
  • Titanfall ( Great but only MP )
  • Watch Dogs ( Lol no )
  • Cod Advanced Warfare (One of my least favourite Cods after Ghosts )
  • LittlebigPlanet 3 ( meh )
  • Mario Kart 8 ( meh )

I prefer this year

Resident Evil 8 ( Yes please )
Returnal ( House Marque, yes please )
Disco Elysium: The Final Cut ( Yes please )
Skyward Sword ( I know its a remaster but looking forward to it as I missed it on Wii )
Mass Effect trilogy ( Same as above )

Bravely Defult 2
Mario Golf (Over Mario Kart any day )
Ratchet and Clank ( Yes please )
Halo infinite
Diablo 2
Pokemon Snap
Horizon 2 ( If this happens in 2021 then it will be bigger than any game in 2014 )
Kena
Little Devil inside
Death Loop
Guilty Gear
Plenty of other indies just like 2014

Plus there will be more announced and released

If either Final Fantasy 16 and Elden Ring come in 2021 then dont even mention 2014 to me lol

Last edited:

NahaNago

2014 simply had more aaa western games . If your okay with Japanese , less than AAA , and indie games then 2021 is just another year for you. Pretty much comes down to your taste in games. Then again most folks would want a new console to play big budget aaa games versus the mostly smaller stuff we will probably be getting this year.

TheMan

Yeah 2021 is going to be a slow one for Triple A. Games we got last year probably had the bulk of their work completed before covid restrictions. Now we're feeling the effects of teams figuring out how to make new games from scratch, on new hardware, remotely. I suspect '22 will be relatively slow as well.

Top Bottom