• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I owe an apology to 2014. 2021 is making it look like a GOAT year.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I've always thought that year kinda sucked. It's probably still the worst year of last gen. It was full of flawed games, downgrades everywhere and not a single game felt goty worthy. Hell, a mediocre Dragon Age Inquisition winning GOTY awards kinda proves my point.

And yet after seeing what this year is turning out to be, I am wondering if I didnt appreciate it enough. March 2014 saw the releases of Infamous Second Son, Titanfall, MGS Ground Zeroes and Downgrade Souls 2. What do we got releasing this month? The only next gen games we have gotten so far this year are Destruction All Stars and Medium. They make Infamous Second Son look like Citizen Kane.

The rest of the year was jam packed too after a somewhat slow summer. Watch Dogs got a massive downgrade, but it was a fairly enjoyable game. Destiny had issues, loot droprate, forever 29, and a somewhat shallow expansion, but looking back at the last 7 years of destiny. Those four months were by far the best. Even taken king didnt have that magic of getting your first Gjallahorn or Vex.

Here is a full list.

• Infamous Second Son
  • Dark Souls 2
  • MGS Ground Zeroes
  • Titanfall
  • Watch Dogs
  • Destiny
  • Far Cry 4
  • Dragon Age Inquisition
  • Evil Within
  • Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls
  • Cod Advanced Warfare (First true next gen cod. Amazing visual showcase)
  • AC Unity (First true next gen AC. Again, gorgeous looking game unfortunately riddled with bugs at launch. Still my favorite AC of the gen.)
  • DriveClub (Another rushed game, but man it looked next gen as fuck)
  • LittlebigPlanet 3
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Smash Bros
  • Bayonetta 2
  • Shadow of Mordor

I have played and enjoyed almost all of these games. They are no Witcher 3 or RDR2, but I was sitting here jerking off to the sad 'Big Suck' thread, and realized that I didnt appreciate what I had in 2014. I would kill to play a new next gen Infamous, next gen Titanfall, Dragon Age, AC, DriveClub 2 and Dark Souls 4 this year. I mean we are actually being made to look forward to Kena of all games because there is nothing else until Ratchet comes out in June.

Looking at the list above, not a single studio that made the games above is set to release a game this year, and thats depressing.

killatopak

Gold Member
MH Rise
Pokemon Snap
RE8
Deathloop
Nier
Ratchet
Halo Infinite
Horizon
Hitman 3
Yakuza
Ys 9
P5S
BD2
Crash 4
Guilty Gear

And That’s just announced/released games. Too early to tell if it’s worse or better than 2014 but for me some of these releases already make it better.

Also if reaper of souls count then D2 remaster is an excellent release as well.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

theres

literally

nothing

going

on

forgot this one

Where are people getting this idea there are no games? Theres still more btw like RE8, Bravely Default 2, Starbase, Subnautica Below Zero... Thats not even counting Halo Infinite since theres no set date for it, or other games in ongoing Early Access from last year Like Baldurs Gate 3 and M&B2: Bannerlord

Last edited:
We also had this thing:

header.jpg

Too early to say whether 2021 will be better than 2014.

The Evil Within is GOAT level for me though.

Rickyiez

Relax, we will have these this year

Resident Evil VIIIage
Evil Genius 2
Bravely Default 2
Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis
Deathloop
Guilty Gear Strive
Monster Hunter Rise
Nier Replicant
Ruined King
Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
No More Heroes 3
Outriders
Kena
Back 4 Blood
Ghostwire Tokyo
Biomutant

I actually preferred most of these AA games way more than AAA series like AC or COD yawn

Missing out HZD2 or GOW Ragnarok sucks but it's not the end of the world. 2022 will be killer though

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
No. That rumor came from an extremely unreliable source.

EBlQ.gif

I think the game is getting delayed. But if not, getting Horizon, BF6 and Halo at the end of the year might salvage the first 11 months. Though criterion being asked to help ship BF6 this year has dashed my hope somewhat. that tells me the project is behind.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Without COVID, I’m guessing we would’ve had Kena and Returnal by now, with Ratchet in March and Horizon 2 coming sometime in May/June, which would’ve made a KILLER first 6 months of the new generation, potentially one of the best (assuming those games live up to their expectations). Hell, we might have even had the TLOU2 PS5 upgrade at this point.

But in any case, yes, things are going to be dry for awhile. About 2014, pretty much just Bayonetta 2 and Titanfall were truly great out of that list of games. Destiny was largely received as a disappointment and a fraud, if you remember correctly. I mean, most of those games were somewhat enjoyable but flawed; the kind of games you forgot about 10 minutes after the credits rolled. I think 2021 still has more potential.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
EBlQ.gif

I think the game is getting delayed. But if not, getting Horizon, BF6 and Halo at the end of the year might salvage the first 11 months. Though criterion being asked to help ship BF6 this year has dashed my hope somewhat. that tells me the project is behind.
I agree it could still potentially be delayed. But everyone taking that one idiot rumor (from a source that’s been wrong about dozens of things) as gospel rubs me the wrong way.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
2014 at least had the WiiU delivering the goods - some really great games came out there.

2021 is.... yeah. Shaping up to be the worst year I can remember.

SSfox

The only real great game in 2014 was Bayonetta 2. MGS gz was awesome but it was a demo tho. Evil within was ok but far from a masterpiece (it could have been tho but too many flaws)

I can't really speak for 2021 as we don't know but there's already re8, gg strive, kena, ratchet. And maybe Horizon 2 and above all Elden Ring. And I may even forgot some.

Last edited:

EDMIX

First year in the gen usualy suck

And now there's Covid to fuck things up even further

2021 sucking was expected, unfortunately

PS: You forgot about Alien Isolation, dude. 2014's GOTY.

Agreed. I'd argue 2001 was a massive exception vs the rule.

I'm happy with Ratchet and Clank, Horizon 2 and Battlefield 6, the rest are just icing on top. I just don't expect some massive AAA releases this year with the Rona out and about in all. 2014 wasn't near 2001 levels, but it was a damn good year compared to MOST launches tbh. Even if lots of them where crossgen, some solid releases nonetheless.

bender

What time is it?
Of your list, I liked these:
  • Dark Souls 2 (Worst Souls game, still good)
  • MGS Ground Zeroes (more of a demo)
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Smash Bros
  • Bayonetta 2
2021 so far:
  • Hitman 3 (Worst of the trilogy, still good)
  • Moose Life
  • Yakuza: Like A Dragon
2021 Day One Purchases:
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • Nier
  • Monster Hunter Rise
  • Flight Sim
  • RE: Village
  • Diablo 2 HD
  • Disco Elysium: The Final Cut
  • Mario Golf
2021 Other Games of Interest:
  • Returnal
  • Pokemon Snap
  • Back 4 Blood
  • World's End Cup
2021 seems to have a bunch more potential for my tastes.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
You can't have both.

You acknowledge covid exists and has badly effected dev schedules, and then pretend it doesn't exist at the same time while complaining about release dates being pushed back.

You can't have both.

Last edited by a moderator:

greencoder

I have no idea how people on this presumably gaming forum know so few games. Remember, there's no a disappointing year in gaming, 2014 wasn't such, 2021 will not be.

Some of these I played, some are in my backlog, but here is my list of 2014 games:
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee - New 'n' Tasty!
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Divinity: Original Sin
Legend of Grimrock 2
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (2015)
The Wolf Among Us
The Walking Dead: Season Two
Wolfenstein: The New Order
The Evil Within
Bayonetta 2
Child of Light
Valiant Hearts: The Great War
Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Transistor
Nidhogg
Banished
Door Kickers
Freedom Planet
This War of Mine
The Talos Principle
Forza Horizon 2
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (2018)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (2017)
Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition (2018)
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (2018)
Wasteland 2: Director's Cut (2015)
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (2019)
BattleBlock Theater
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
Azure Striker Gunvolt
Kingdom Rush Origins
Age of Wonders III
Endless Legend
Dungeon of the Endless
A Bird Story
Blackwell Epiphany
Kirby: Triple Deluxe
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
LISA: The Painful
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Far Cry 4
Assassin's Creed Unity
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
InFamous: Second Son
Sunset Overdrive
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments
The Banner Saga
Alien: Isolation
Dragon Age: Inquisition
BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea
Outlast: Whistleblower

• Infamous Second Son
  • Dark Souls 2
  • MGS Ground Zeroes
  • Titanfall
  • Watch Dogs
  • Destiny
  • Far Cry 4
  • Dragon Age Inquisition
  • Evil Within
  • AC Unity (First true next gen AC. Again, gorgeous looking game unfortunately riddled with bugs at launch. Still my favorite AC of the gen.)
  • LittlebigPlanet 3
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Smash Bros
  • Bayonetta 2
  • Shadow of Mordor

I have played and enjoyed almost all of these games. They are no Witcher 3 or RDR2, but I was sitting here jerking off to the sad 'Big Suck' thread, and realized that I didnt appreciate what I had in 2014. I would kill to play a new next gen Infamous, next gen Titanfall, Dragon Age, AC, DriveClub 2 and Dark Souls 4 this year. I mean we are actually being made to look forward to Kena of all games because there is nothing else until Ratchet comes out in June.

Looking at the list above, not a single studio that made the games above is set to release a game this year, and thats depressing.

You talk like this year is over and we're only in March. Also, there is meant to be a new Far Cry, COD and maybe Fromsoftware will ship Elden this year.

SSfox

Why people keep mentioning Dark Souls 2? it was release on 2013 not 2014 (i loved the game btw even tho DS1 was better of course)

Null Persp

I have no idea how people on this presumably gaming forum know so few games. Remember, there's no a disappointing year in gaming, 2014 wasn't such, 2021 will not be.

Some of these I played, some are in my backlog, but here is my list of 2014 games:
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee - New 'n' Tasty!
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Legend of Grimrock 2
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (2015)
The Wolf Among Us
The Walking Dead: Season Two
The Evil Within
Bayonetta 2
Child of Light
Valiant Hearts: The Great War
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Transistor
Nidhogg
Banished
Door Kickers
Freedom Planet
This War of Mine
The Talos Principle
Forza Horizon 2
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (2018)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (2017)
Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition (2018)
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (2018)
Wasteland 2: Director's Cut (2015)
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (2019)
BattleBlock Theater
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
Azure Striker Gunvolt
Kingdom Rush Origins
Age of Wonders III
Endless Legend
Dungeon of the Endless
A Bird Story
Blackwell Epiphany
Kirby: Triple Deluxe
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
LISA: The Painful
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Far Cry 4
Assassin's Creed Unity
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
InFamous: Second Son
Sunset Overdrive
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
The Banner Saga
Dragon Age: Inquisition

What a great year.

These are my favorites:

Legend of Grimrock 2
Dark Souls II
Elite: Dangerous
The Evil Within
The Talos Principle
The Wolf Among Us
Blackwell Epiphany

This is not really helping out 2014 and 2021 already looks much better to me as long as release dates don’t slip. Considering we aren’t even near E3, there is a long way to go. Companies want to pull something big out for the holidays.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
First years are pathetic but it’s still only March, I look at 2020 as being better and clearly 2021 is the official launch date as Sony attempts to get consoles on store shelves.

DavidGzz

D2 Resurrection
Elden Ring
RE8
Halo Infinite
Valheim

Those will beat Dark Souls 2. Far Cry 4, and Reaper of Souls which were the only 3 from that list that I liked.

It's only March 4th.

I've always thought that year kinda sucked. It's probably still the worst year of last gen. It was full of flawed games, downgrades everywhere and not a single game felt goty worthy. Hell, a mediocre Dragon Age Inquisition winning GOTY awards kinda proves my point.

And yet after seeing what this year is turning out to be, I am wondering if I didnt appreciate it enough. March 2014 saw the releases of Infamous Second Son, Titanfall, MGS Ground Zeroes and Downgrade Souls 2. What do we got releasing this month? The only next gen games we have gotten so far this year are Destruction All Stars and Medium. They make Infamous Second Son look like Citizen Kane.

The rest of the year was jam packed too after a somewhat slow summer. Watch Dogs got a massive downgrade, but it was a fairly enjoyable game. Destiny had issues, loot droprate, forever 29, and a somewhat shallow expansion, but looking back at the last 7 years of destiny. Those four months were by far the best. Even taken king didnt have that magic of getting your first Gjallahorn or Vex.

Here is a full list.

• Infamous Second Son
  • Dark Souls 2
  • MGS Ground Zeroes
  • Titanfall
  • Watch Dogs
  • Destiny
  • Far Cry 4
  • Dragon Age Inquisition
  • Evil Within
  • LittlebigPlanet 3
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Smash Bros
  • Bayonetta 2
  • Shadow of Mordor

Titanfall was meant to be a world changing piece of software that just never clicked right for some reason. Far Cry 3 was this fresh, new experience in a lush green jungle that felt alive. The technology was incredible! Then you put 4 on your list which was 3 in the snow. No one bought it. Most of the others on that list bored me.

Shadow of Mordor was a nice surprise. Assassin's creed with quality of life enhancements and a fun boss personality system in place. ...the fact that you put Advanced Warfare in there which killed momentum for Activision for YEARS says a lot about the post too.

D2 Resurrection
Elden Ring
RE8
Halo Infinite
Valheim

Those will beat Dark Souls 2. Far Cry 4, and Reaper of Souls which were the only 3 from that list that I liked.

It's only March 4th.

Elden Ring won't come out this year, man. Let's be honest. That being said, I didn't much care for 2014 so you win by default.

Last edited:
Top Bottom