• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need to open my gf's mind up on psychedelics, help gaf

Fools idol

Banned
mushrooms should absolutely not be fucked with imho.

I have tried many - Psilocybin trips are scary as fuck. I saw visions of goat headed children stabbing each other to death, then saw what I can only describe as a giant praying mantis chasing me around my apartment trying to eat me. I went head first through a glass patio door onto a 6th story balcony and had my friend not quite have been tripping as far along as I had, I would probably have jumped. You have to be so fucking careful with this shit.

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
The first mistake people make when taking psychedelics is take them for fun. They're not a toy, they're not a few shots of whiskey. They should be respected and done in the right set and setting. Go in light if it's your first time and always have a trip-sitter you know and trust, otherwise don't even touch them.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
mushrooms should absolutely not be fucked with imho.

I have tried many - Psilocybin trips are scary as fuck. I saw visions of goat headed children stabbing each other to death, then saw what I can only describe as a giant praying mantis chasing me around my apartment trying to eat me. I went head first through a glass patio door onto a 6th story balcony and had my friend not quite have been tripping as far along as I had, I would probably have jumped. You have to be so fucking careful with this shit.

This sounds like trips I had on meth when I was awake for multiple days in a row. (This is actually how I platinumed Assassin's Creed: Odyssey)

The best experience I had was with Salvia, like 12 years ago when it was still legal and could be picked up from head shops. Lasts like 15 minutes, but Holy Jesus.

Fools idol

Banned
This sounds like trips I had on meth when I was awake for multiple days in a row. (This is actually how I platinumed Assassin's Creed: Odyssey)

The best experience I had was with Salvia, like 12 years ago when it was still legal and could be picked up from head shops. Lasts like 15 minutes, but Holy Jesus.

Yep, Saliva was fucking crazy my guy.

I broke my hand in 3 places after using that stuff, but the experience was still incredible. I am still not even sure what the fuck I even saw to this day. It was some Lovecraftian themed shit.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

I broke my hand in 3 places after using that stuff, but the experience was still incredible. I am still not even sure what the fuck I even saw to this day. It was some Lovecraftian themed shit.

I was in a garage with three friends when I smoked it. There was a small square end table in the middle of a circle of chairs we were seated at, and Budweiser and old black and white hair metal posters on the walls. I took a hit of this shit and the posters started shaking, with maraca sounds. The spaces in between the chairs we were seated at were filled with red and white pulsing candy cane lines, and it felt like each one of us was a planet, and the table was the star we were orbiting around. Helter Skelter was playing through a crackly old radio, and I felt this pulse through my veins shooting all the way down my hands, and I felt like, if I willed it, I could fire fucking kamehameha waves from my hands. I stood up, ready to run down the street, immediately fell on my ass, started laughing like a ward patient, and then sober clarity returned to me. Every time I hear that song, to this day, I get a weird feeling in my chest. It was absolutely batty.

Lunarorbit

I tried acid for my first hallucinajectic last month on my 40th with friends. I was also getting drunk on champagne and cheap beer so the results were muddied.

But it wasnt scary at all. I had a friend who had a bad trip on acid at my house ages ago and that always was in the back of my mind

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I tried acid for my first hallucinajectic last month on my 40th with friends. I was also getting drunk on champagne and cheap beer so the results were muddied.

But it wasnt scary at all. I had a friend who had a bad trip on acid at my house ages ago and that always was in the back of my mind

Environment and precautions are super SUPER important as has been stated here already. You should only do these drugs in a familiar place, in a good mood, with a designated sober sitter. I've found that MOST bad trips can be avoided or softened this way.

Fools idol

Banned
I was in a garage with three friends when I smoked it. There was a small square end table in the middle of a circle of chairs we were seated at, and Budweiser and old black and white hair metal posters on the walls. I took a hit of this shit and the posters started shaking, with maraca sounds. The spaces in between the chairs we were seated at were filled with red and white pulsing candy cane lines, and it felt like each one of us was a planet, and the table was the star we were orbiting around. Helter Skelter was playing through a crackly old radio, and I felt this pulse through my veins shooting all the way down my hands, and I felt like, if I willed it, I could fire fucking kamehameha waves from my hands. I stood up, ready to run down the street, immediately fell on my ass, started laughing like a ward patient, and then sober clarity returned to me. Every time I hear that song, to this day, I get a weird feeling in my chest. It was absolutely batty.

Indeed it is a bizarre experience. The crazy pRt is how quickly you come back around, it was almost like waking up from a dream and being fully aware right away.

The first time I tried it, we took far too much, and I just kept going and going expecting it to be weak. I think that is why I tripped so hard.

I could feel this weird sense of weightlessness at first, then the room just span and span around I fell over and couldn't get up.. The roof of the house slowly went translucent and I could see a bunch of floating beings with tentacles singing this really strange tune that sounded like the elephants and woozles song from winnie the pooh, I just remember laying there and feeling the ground suck me in and down like that scene from the GET OUT movie (the sunken place). When I finally sat myself upright I realised I was somehow at the bottom of the stairs and I had smacked my hand hard on the concrete floor. Didnt even feel any pain, went to the hospital and the paramedics were shocked I was cool as a cucumber despite smashing my hand in half, LOL.

Lunarorbit

Hahaha. When I was in americorps our base was in Charleston and the "circle k" down the street sold salvia in 3 different grades that were organized by color.

Anyway my friends set up a pirate ship toy on a string and would swing it back and forth to make people laugh if they reacted poorly to the high. It was what I imagine crack would be like if it was super watered down. Really intense but not for a super long time.

God damn I forgot all about that stuff! Thanks for reminding me

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Indeed it is a bizarre experience. The crazy pRt is how quickly you come back around, it was almost like waking up from a dream and being fully aware right away.

The first time I tried it, we took far too much, and I just kept going and going expecting it to be weak. I think that is why I tripped so hard.

I could feel this weird sense of weightlessness at first, then the room just span and span around I fell over and couldn't get up.. The roof of the house slowly went translucent and I could see a bunch of floating beings with tentacles singing this really strange tune that sounded like the elephants and woozles song from winnie the pooh, I just remember laying there and feeling the ground suck me in and down like that scene from the GET OUT movie (the sunken place). When I finally sat myself upright I realised I was somehow at the bottom of the stairs and I had smacked my hand hard on the concrete floor. Didnt even feel any pain, went to the hospital and the paramedics were shocked I was cool as a cucumber despite smashing my hand in half, LOL.

Haha, it was sort of similar to my experience, we laced it together with weed at first, and I complained that I wasn't feeling it, so I took a straight bowl and sucked that shit in and held it. I remember getting this odd citrus flavor in my mouth, and I knew when I exhaled, I'd be on Jupiter.

Lunarorbit

Environment and precautions are super SUPER important as has been stated here already. You should only do these drugs in a familiar place, in a good mood, with a designated sober sitter. I've found that MOST bad trips can be avoided or softened this way.
Yeah this was when we were 16. My mom ended up reading Edgar Allan poe to him while he calmed down on the couch. It was interesting. I used to the driver sometimes and would just smoke weed as my friends tripped in the woods/swamp.

SteadyEvo

Yet again I don't want her to do it and I have no idea if psychedelics are a good idea I am just fascinated by them. I just don't want her to be all judgemental because I am intrigued by them
Attempting to change her mind is pointless and may lead to undue conflict. I say just do you and let her have her own beliefs.

The Fartist

Gold Member
If you're going on a road trip I would recommend listening this even if you weren't trying to convince her of anything.

P.S. Wow, I can't believe how many people didn't read your post and automatically assumed you're trying to dose her. 🤔

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I've never met anyone who did psychedelics early in life that was not a complete mental case later in life.
What would you consider early in life? A teenager probably shouldn't take it, but someone in their 20s, whose brain is fully developed? That's probably fine.

I don't think a teenager is mentally prepared for the dissociation that comes with it

JCK75

What would you consider early in life? A teenager probably shouldn't take it, but someone in their 20s, whose brain is fully developed? That's probably fine.

I don't think a teenager is mentally prepared for the dissociation that comes with it

I'm not commenting on when you take it, I'm commenting on how much time has gone by and the damage is still severe.
My sons best friends dad just did a shit ton of acid in the 80's and his brain is absolutely destroyed..
He has taken a liking to me and comes to visit and I have to be nice but I absolutely hate his guts, his behavior is so eratic I'm watching his every move because I'm honestly afraid
he's going to attempt to kill myself and my family at some point. I've literally never met anyone like this before in my life and he attributes all of his problems to just overdoing acid.

If you just put him in a movie as a serial killer with no script him just thinking he's having conversations with other people on set would result in an oscar for the most frightening performance ever put to film.

Now perhaps it's not fair to compare acid to the vast selection of them, but I personally think they do more harm than good.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
I'm eagerly waiting for the thread "HELP! my gf did mdma while partying with the whole LA Rams roster and now she wants to have an open relationship", which should pop up anytime now

KrakenIPA

Psychedelics can be very helpful overcoming depression and anxiety. Microdosing seems to be gaining ground as another useful tool for people that have suffered from psychological ailments like those. I'm sure you have got some answers in this thread earlier, but for me I don't know that I would be as successful in life if I did not have the opportunity to open my mind to the world around me without the help of psychedelics. For me, ego death was like living several lives and broadened the understanding of how small and important I was to those around me (family, friends, the Earth, humanity). I don't know if convincing someone of the benefits will work out, but I hope you and your gal can find peace in the role you play, and work to enrich others' lives in small but important ways.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

Anyone here try Spravado?

Im in the pipeline for beginning Ketamine treatments for TRD (treatment resistant depression). A bit scared as my mind generally isn’t a pleasant place to be , and I’m afraid of a bad trip. Generally, I avoid drugs that alter my grip on reality, but I fear my life is nearing its end if I can’t find something that will help with my mental illness.

I‘m desperate, but hesitant. Some say the drug is life changing, others have had really bad experiences.

TheDreadBaron

Gold Member

Im in the pipeline for beginning Ketamine treatments for TRD (treatment resistant depression). A bit scared as my mind generally isn’t a pleasant place to be , and I’m afraid of a bad trip. Generally, I avoid drugs that alter my grip on reality, but I fear my life is nearing its end if I can’t find something that will help with my mental illness.

I‘m desperate, but hesitant. Some say the drug is life changing, others have had really bad experiences.
Haven’t tried it or ketamine in general but its worth a shot if you really feel like you’re gonna die. A lot of times bad trips are all about your state of mind, though the particular drug influences things too. Just try to go in with an open mind and don’t resist, accept whatever comes. Hope it helps you friend.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

I'm not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Not endorsing any drug use, either.

Regarding your bad trip concerns:

Ketamine is a dissociative anesthetic. At lower doses you'll feel funny and numb. This is similar to being on nitrous oxide at the dentist's office (also a dissociative anesthetic). At higher doses you'll have out of body experiences, hallucinate, etc., and there are dangers since it's a CNS depressant (i.e. you could lose consciousness or die at recreational doses, so don't do recreational drugs). I expect you won't be going astral traveling with a prescription nasal spray administered at the doctor's office, and you'll be under supervision for the whole session. Not too much to worry about.

You could certainly feel bad on ketamine and want the experience to end. However, that is distinct from a bad trip. "Bad trip" is heavily associated with LSD and psilocybin for a reason. LSD/psilocybin radically alter your state of mind in a vivid, proactive manner and make you emotionally vulnerable. This can create a serious negative feedback loop: negative feelings trigger awful experiences, which put you into an even more negative state of mind, which makes the hallucinations more negative, etc. Those bad trips are vivid, visceral, hyper-realistic, and 12+ hours long. They can emotionally scar someone or trigger a mental breakdown, schizophrenia, etc. Again, prescription ketamine at the doctor's office isn't going to be doing that.

You should 100% talk to your doctor about your concerns and make sure they get addressed. But the altered mental state during the therapy probably isn't as severe as you're imagining.

PanzerAzel

Haven’t tried it or ketamine in general but its worth a shot if you really feel like you’re gonna die. A lot of times bad trips are all about your state of mind, though the particular drug influences things too. Just try to go in with an open mind and don’t resist, accept whatever comes. Hope it helps you friend.
I’m going back and forth on it, and‘ve been reading and talking to as many people as I can. Most say to take the chance. I suppose I’ll try it as I’m feeling to be on an inevitable path to nowhere good, but oftentimes being conscious can be a waking nightmare so I need to do something. I’m bipolar, and on my downswings my mental state can become downright malignant and demonic.

I just don’t want to get on a drug that might let that loose in manifestations I can’t somewhat abstract and compartmentAlize, which is my only safeguard.

I'm not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Not endorsing any drug use, either.

Regarding your bad trip concerns:

Ketamine is a dissociative anesthetic. At lower doses you'll feel funny and numb. This is similar to being on nitrous oxide at the dentist's office (also a dissociative anesthetic). At higher doses you'll have out of body experiences, hallucinate, etc., and there are dangers since it's a CNS depressant (i.e. you could lose consciousness or die at recreational doses, so don't do recreational drugs). I expect you won't be going astral traveling with a prescription nasal spray administered at the doctor's office, and you'll be under supervision for the whole session. Not too much to worry about.

You could certainly feel bad on ketamine and want the experience to end. However, that is distinct from a bad trip. "Bad trip" is heavily associated with LSD and psilocybin for a reason. LSD/psilocybin radically alter your state of mind in a vivid, proactive manner and make you emotionally vulnerable. This can create a serious negative feedback loop: negative feelings trigger awful experiences, which put you into an even more negative state of mind, which makes the hallucinations more negative, etc. Those bad trips are vivid, visceral, hyper-realistic, and 12+ hours long. They can emotionally scar someone or trigger a mental breakdown, schizophrenia, etc. Again, prescription ketamine at the doctor's office isn't going to be doing that.

You should 100% talk to your doctor about your concerns and make sure they get addressed. But the altered mental state during the therapy probably isn't as severe as you're imagining.
I’ve discussed my concerns with my doctor quite a lot, who listens, but unfortunately feels to marginalize them. She says she’s not yet seen someone have a bad reaction, but as a mentally ill person, hallucinogens sound like a pathway to hell. I don’t want my thoughts and mental state manifested into anything more tangible or relatable to the senses.

Thanks for the elaboration, that’s somewhat comforting to read. I suppose I’ll do it, and it is only a nasal spray in a supervised clinical setting so I wouldn’t imagine it’s a large dose. However, I do want those I know and trust there in case I start to feel bad. The trip is supposed to last about two hours, and I can’t drive for the day.

Thanks guys for the help and kind words, I appreciate it much. 🙏🏼

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I’m going back and forth on it, and‘ve been reading and talking to as many people as I can. Most say to take the chance. I suppose I’ll try it as I’m feeling to be on an inevitable path to nowhere good, but oftentimes being conscious can be a waking nightmare so I need to do something. I’m bipolar, and on my downswings my mental state can become downright malignant and demonic.

I just don’t want to get on a drug that might let that loose in manifestations I can’t somewhat abstract and compartmentAlize, which is my only safeguard.

I’ve discussed my concerns with my doctor quite a lot, who listens, but unfortunately feels to marginalize them. She says she’s not yet seen someone have a bad reaction, but as a mentally ill person, hallucinogens sound like a pathway to hell. I don’t want my thoughts and mental state manifested into anything more tangible or relatable to the senses.

Thanks for the elaboration, that’s somewhat comforting to read. I suppose I’ll do it, and it is only a nasal spray in a supervised clinical setting so I wouldn’t imagine it’s a large dose. However, I do want those I know and trust there in case I start to feel bad. The trip is supposed to last about two hours, and I can’t drive for the day.

Thanks guys for the help and kind words, I appreciate it much. 🙏🏼
Actually there is quiet a bit of research that suggests that at least certain psychedelics can be beneficial for some mental illnesses, namely depression and anxiety.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I'm not trying at all to get her to do it at all! I actually like that she doesn't do anything but I don't want her to be all judgemental
Getting a person to do something they don’t want to do so they can see your view never works out. If she accepts this is part of you, great, if not, I don’t know what to say except I hope that isn’t a deal breaker in the long run.

Bluecondor

Just an update I dropped the issue totally with her, I wasn't trying to get her to do it so no point
That's a good move.

As soon as I saw that she had given you an article from Science, I knew this was a non-starter. Science is arguably the most rigorous academic journal on the planet (basically, for every 100 research-based articles they receive from PhDs from Stanford, Harvard, Michigan, Oxford, Cambridge, etc., they publish 2 of them).

So, if your girlfriend has Science as her standard for high quality research, there's no podcast out there that is going to move the needle in the slightest.

Catphish

Loving the hate & judgment brigade ripping someone apart for having the audacity to be vulnerable and asking an honest question.

Douchebags.

Doing psychedelics in the right dosage, under the right circumstances, and with the right intention can drastically improve a life for the better.

It did for me.

Anyway, I see you chose a path, and that's cool. My recommendation would have been to do what it looks like you've already done, which was basically to be open with her about your intent and desire, and then let her decision be what it is. Don't try to change her mind, just accept where she's at. You can make a case, but you can't push it on her. If she's ok with you doing it, great. If not, then you have to choose what's more important. The psychedelics, or her.

Best wishes.

Last edited:

darrylgorn

My anecdotal experience with heavy drug users is that they tend exaggerate the positive effects these substances have on their lives.

I'm not disputing that there are any benefits or that they experience them. Just that it doesn’t pan out to be as material as they claim.

As far as I'm concerned, drugs should be thought of like a treat that you can enjoy once and a while. There really is no need to get sucked in to some cultural dogma and you're probably better off not doing so.

Top Bottom