• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need to open my gf's mind up on psychedelics, help gaf

dcll

Banned
First of all I am not trying to get her to do them at all but I shared with her I have a real curiosity with them. All I have ever done in my life is gummies maybe 10-15 times and really like it. I don't drink, smoke etc but I am very open minded.

My gf is a real serious woman, she is a research scientist at a huge hospital and she is all science. She doesn't drink, smoke or do anything and that is fine. She was shocked when I told her and we are about to go on a long road trip next week and I would like to find a podcast with someone who is involved with science that might make her more understanding, can anyone here help me with this? Or even some articles that she might respect but I would really like a podcast that we can listen to on our trip that might take the stick from her butt on the subject.

She sent me this article with the purple highlight and I was like ugh that is a big part of it

Last edited:

dcll

Banned
ZGKN10r.png

dcll

Banned
I'm not trying at all to get her to do it at all! I actually like that she doesn't do anything but I don't want her to be all judgemental

What do you expect to get out of psychedelics? What do you think the benefits are? Are you wanting to see funny colors? Do you think the machine elves people see when they do DMT are interdimensional aliens and you are hoping they can impart some wisdom on you? Are you one of these guys that read a couple articles about clinical trials with PTSD and you think this is a substitute for seeing a psychologist or some other form of discussing your problems and looking within yourself? It's not at all clear from your post why you think psychedelics are a good idea, or what you expect to get out of them. If you don't know why you think something is good, you aren't going to be able to convince anyone else.

Last edited:

Dark Star

You could share some Terence McKenna lectures on YouTube. Lots of them are podcast length. He was an ethnobotanist and a very well read, well spoken man, so she might be interested in his words.

But yeah, I agree with the above posters: don’t try too hard to change her mind, just leave it alone and keep it to yourself if she’s not interested. Psychedelics aren’t at all culturally or scientifically respected even in 2022. Most states haven’t even legalized weed lol.

Last edited:

dcll

Banned
Yet again I don't want her to do it and I have no idea if psychedelics are a good idea I am just fascinated by them. I just don't want her to be all judgemental because I am intrigued by them

daveonezero

Banned
You could share some Terence McKenna.
No he is awful

I would look up the studies on MDMA and psilocybin on treating PTSD, couples counseling and other things. Look at those studies and the people involved and find content with them in it.

Watch the movie Fantastic Fungi.

A little advice from someone who has also been with a serious PhD scientist girlfriend for a long time - it is very, very unlikely you will ever win an argument with science. She reads peer reviewed papers for work. She probably writes peer reviewed papers for work. I'm guessing she even reads peer reviewed papers on her own time for fun. She is going to smell any bullshit science argument being made from a mile away and it is just going to make you feel dumb. Whatever "science" podcast you put on is going to be torn apart by her and she is going to read every paper or scientific source they reference herself and not only come to a different conclusion, but tell you exactly why they were wrong.

Your best bet, should you want to try and actually make this work, is to acknowledge the potential for whatever negative elements she thinks there are and explain how you will mitigate them and why they won't affect you personally.

nush

Gold Member
First of all I am not trying to get her to do them at all

Opens with this
My gf is a real serious woman, she is a research scientist at a huge hospital and she is all science. She doesn't drink, smoke or do anything and that is fine. She was shocked when I told her and we are about to go on a long road trip next week and I would like to find a podcast with someone who is involved with science that might make her more understanding, can anyone here help me with this? Or even some articles that she might respect but I would really like a podcast that we can listen to on our trip that might take the stick from her butt on the subject.
Then wants to trap her in a place where she is forced to listen to a pro-drug podcast for hours.

OIP-C.T_5c8fbcDPp8bWLh8gSF-wHaDr

Yet again I don't want her to do it and I have no idea if psychedelics are a good idea I am just fascinated by them. I just don't want her to be all judgemental because I am intrigued by them
Sounds to me like she's not judgmental at all, just aware that drugs are dangerous and would rather keep a clear head. That's a very valid position to take and one you should respect, especially as her partner. Maybe it would be better for you to realize that your partner doesn't have to share all of your opinions.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I've done most drugs ever marketed at one point or another. It's really not that appealing, once you're past the age of 22. I'm still paying for some of the wild oats I've sown. Hallucinogenics in particular are just pretty ass. High likelihood of having a bad trip, or of doing something stupid and hurting yourself, and most of the "good," ones have a duration of like 15 minutes. You do you, but in my experience, drug use is usually a crutch to compensate for something you're lacking in your sober life.

There have been a TON of articles on psychedelics being used to treat depression, PTSD, addictions, and a host of other mental ailments.
Shit, I get see ads on Facebook for micro dosing psilocybin and ketamine.

HarryKS

Sounds like you're a loser who won the lottery. But as is often the case with losers, they end up with less than they had by pushing their luck. Don't be a loser, be better.

TheDreadBaron

Gold Member
Yeah I think there’s an argument to be made about the benefits but you’re not going to win that argument even if you have valid points. I honestly couldn’t deal with a person that was that much of a curmudgeon, people should be able to take a little risk and have fun. If she can’t handle you experimenting with psychedelics without getting all judgey then that’s a huge bummer. It sounds like she wants to be in control of every aspect of her reality, hence the highlighted portion. I wouldn’t ever take psychedelics around that person, she’s probably going to make it terrible for you. I get where you’re coming from with trying to explain the experience and the benefits scientifically to help her understand but it seems like her mind is made up already. Best of luck, someone of her perspective really can’t understand why you want to take them I’m afraid.

Dark Star

No he is awful

I would look up the studies on MDMA and psilocybin on treating PTSD, couples counseling and other things. Look at those studies and the people involved and find content with them in it.

Watch the movie Fantastic Fungi.

Yeah I guess Terence was a little trippy hippy after all. But Paul Stamets is for sure a legit source, I agree. Fantastic Fungi was a good watch.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Common drug in some parts of the world the question is can you take advantage of them, psychedelics can really bother people or be an advantage. Mushrooms do their job and are a great case for legalization but the government slams on their breaks anytime its brought up in conversation.

Amiga

once something snaps in your mind after going too deep you can't put it back together, because you will never know it happened in the first place.

dcll

Banned
Yet again for the trolls, shit posters, people who probably can't get a woman or people who are just under the wrong assumptions

I have never even been drunk in my life, don't drink at all

I don't smoke cigarettes or weed

I have never taken pills other than ibuprofen etc, antibiotics etc

I have only taken gummies maybe 10-15 times in my whole life

I have zero interest in getting her to try psychedelics.

I don't even know if I will, I am just curious

I'm not a druggie, I have a good life and have my stuff together. I'm just a regular country boy with a good and smart but serious woman!

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
What type of psychedelic are you looking to try? Because there IS differences between them.

At least with regards to shrooms, all you can really say is that it's non-addictive, passes through the body quickly, doesn't show up on most drug tests and is relatively safe. Your danger is from interactions with the world. As long as you have a sitter you're more than likely going to be fine.

I wouldn't experiment around her. It's going to mess with your set and setting since you are going to be stressed about her. That is a ticket to a bad trip.

I'm not as familiar with other psychedelics but I think the same is true with at least LSD

Yet again for the trolls, shit posters, people who probably can't get a woman or people who are just under the wrong assumptions

I have zero interest in getting her to try psychedelics

I'm not a druggie, I have a good life and have my stuff together. I'm just a regular country boy with a good and smart but serious woman!
Then you know nothing of addiction or how easily an innocent introduction can cause lives to spiral.

People are not trolling drugs but rather your selfish and frankly nieve opinion on this.

She is having a productive life and you are looking for permission to fuck about because you lack the balls to just do you.

This is entirely about you. You sound like a fucking 15 year old.

Why don't you ask her father for advice on this?

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

I have zero interest in getting her to try psychedelics.

All the more reason to say before you tumble down the rabbit hole that it's not something you want to get intertwined with. All the gateway drug talk you've ever heard is right. I know there will be someone here that claims to knock back an 8 ball every couple of months and have no trouble with addiction or whatever, but it opens you up to a world you hadn't considered before hand and hallucinogenics in particular cam change the way your entire brain works, if subtly.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Then you know nothing of addiction or how easily an innocent introduction can cause lives to spiral.

People are not trolling drugs but rather your selfish and frankly nieve opinion on this.

She is having a productive life and you are looking for permission to fuck about because you lack the balls to just do you.

This is entirely about you. You sound like a fucking 15 year old.

Why don't you ask her father for advice on this?

For what it's worth, there is a huge difference between psychedelics and stuff like cocaine/meth/heroine. Like I said before above shrooms (and LSD) are non addictive and relatively safe. Only reason they're Schedule 1 is because Nixon blamed them for the 60s counterculture.

I'm pretty anti drug in general. I watched my parents piss away their careers with a cocaine addiction and was homeless as a teenager because of it. But I don't have any more of a problem with shrooms than I do people drinking. It's probably healthier.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Let it be, she doesn't like them or approve them it's her choice.

If you want to do them just do them but don't try to make her "understand" just to feel better about yourself.

Last edited:

TheDreadBaron

Gold Member
I’m actually offended on OP’s behalf, lots of people here are trying to shame him like he’s the worst kind of drug addict for wanting to take some fucking shrooms. As far as convincing your girlfriend, that’s gonna be a tough sell, but don’t listen to these narcs trying to say you’re a bad person. If you ask me, she’s the one with the problem. To dedicate your whole existence to science and believe that you have all the answers because of that, it’s just no way to live. People should take some shrooms once in a while and experience something beyond the normal limited human experience, or the other choice is just read a paper that says hallucinations are scary and be so self assured that you’re making the smart choice.

Edit: I realized even I’m falling into the trap of the idea that OP wants his gf to take shrooms, that’s not even part of it. You should be able to make this choice for yourself, it’s not heroin.

Last edited:

TheDreadBaron

Gold Member
Here’s an actual answer to your question, I don’t think it’s gonna convince anyone who doesn’t want to be open to the idea, but maybe you’ll find something there.

How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us About Consciousness, Dying, Addiction, Depression, and Transcendence https://www.amazon.com/dp/0735224153/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Last edited:

For what it's worth, there is a huge difference between psychedelics and stuff like cocaine/meth/heroine. Like I said before above shrooms (and LSD) are non addictive and relatively safe. Only reason they're Schedule 1 is because Nixon blamed them for the 60s counterculture.

I'm pretty anti drug in general. I watched my parents piss away their careers with a cocaine addiction and was homeless as a teenager because of it. But I don't have any more of a problem with shrooms than I do people drinking. It's probably healthier.
Yes I agree although I have no beef with people doing drugs at all.

But there are many ways this can backfire on her which is unfair given the effort and investment she and her family likely put in to her becoming a serious successful person - even something as simple as drugs being in the car and getting pulled over for a faulty brake light could lead to consequences for her job.

Worse it could lead to her doing other things and ruining herself - we simply don't know her personality re addiction (and sounds like she may have zero experience herself) - if she loves it and goes on to be a crack head will op feel guilty or shrug it off? Intention and affect rarely correlate on these things. I fear strangers on this forum have more concern for the myriad of issues for them both than her bf who just wants to get high with his gf permission and company.

It is unlikely to improve the quality of her life, she seems to have been pretty clear about her choice. OP can go do shrooms in the woods. Why drag her into it?

Last edited:

Mistake

Find some like minded friends who know what they are doing and leave her out of it. At least she won’t be too surprised if you f up

Last edited:

I’m actually offended on OP’s behalf, lots of people here are trying to shame him like he’s the worst kind of drug addict for wanting to take some fucking shrooms. As far as convincing your girlfriend, that’s gonna be a tough sell, but don’t listen to these narcs trying to say you’re a bad person. If you ask me, she’s the one with the problem. To dedicate your whole existence to science and believe that you have all the answers because of that, it’s just no way to live. People should take some shrooms once in a while and experience something beyond the normal limited human experience, or the other choice is just read a paper that says hallucinations are scary and be so self assured that you’re making the smart choice.

Edit: I realized even I’m falling into the trap of the idea that OP wants his gf to take shrooms, that’s not even part of it. You should be able to make this choice for yourself, it’s not heroin.
You miss the point entirely. This is not a moral outrage, it is the sheer immaturity and lack of respect on display.

I do not want her to do it

I will not do it with her in my presence if I decide to do it
Then you do not need her permission.

You should accept she maybe more close minded or risk averse (or perhaps has some medical issue she has not divulged) but whatever it is, that is her call.

You can fulfill your curiosity without risking her or her opinion of you.

TheDreadBaron

Gold Member
You miss the point entirely. This is not a moral outrage, it is the sheer immaturity and lack of respect on display.
You’re actually trying to make a point and have a discussion. There’s lots of people with less nuanced takes just getting their shots in, that’s who I was referring to. Do you think it’s respectful to restrict what your SO is able to do with their own body despite there being significant science saying it may be beneficial, just because they have a strong opinion on the matter themselves. I think it would be respectful to listen to your SO, realize it’s important to them, and find some compromise or be able to set your own feelings aside.

You’re actually trying to make a point and have a discussion. There’s lots of people with less nuanced takes just getting their shots in, that’s who I was referring to. Do you think it’s respectful to restrict what your SO is able to do with their own body despite there being significant science saying it may be beneficial, just because they have a strong opinion on the matter themselves. I think it would be respectful to listen to your SO, realize it’s important to them, and find some compromise or be able to set your own feelings aside.
Ok fair enough.

nush

Gold Member
you are looking for permission to fuck about because you lack the balls to just do you.

That's my take on it, he's too much of a pussy to drop on his own so he want's the girlfriend to do it was well. If she does not want to do it and he does then she can't get mad at him becuse he "Educated" her on how it's actually an OK drug.

Just smoke some weed and call it a day. My GF does not like pot but I'm not going to convince her how great it is. Both of you can enjoy your interest if the relationship is strong enough.

Raven117

Gold Member
Dude. What the everliving fuck are you thinking?

What kind of man-child are you?

If this is the path you want to go down…. Hey man…. Knock yourself out…. But don’t drag her down with you because you are scared to go alone.

You are pathetic if you think this is something to do to someone you care about. Seriously…. Absolute garbage tier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom