• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2023. 6-24 Cores, Frame Generation, Enhanced Ray Tracing & Direct Storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipship31

So pulled the trigger on the whole new rig. Here's what I went with:

Based on all the feedback received here I think it should be pretty damn good. One thing I still need to do though is buy my OS. What's the best way to buy Windows in 2023? I know I can just buy a key directly from Microsoft, but are there more cost effective (and safe) ways to purchase Windows these days? Also is it better to just buy Windows 10 or is it better to just upgrade to 11 since building a new build? Currently just using 10 Pro and seems to work fine on my current rig

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

So pulled the trigger on the whole new rig. Here's what I went with:

Based on all the feedback received here I think it should be pretty damn good. One thing I still need to do though is buy my OS. What's the best way to buy Windows in 2023? I know I can just buy a key directly from Microsoft, but are there more cost effective (and safe) ways to purchase Windows these days? Also is it better to just buy Windows 10 or is it better to just upgrade to 11 since building a new build? Currently just using 10 Pro and seems to work fine on my current rig
You already have a key with Win10 Pro. Once you're all setup, you can contact Microsoft support and tell them you have a new motherboard. Or it might be tied to your Microsoft account now. Everything keeps switching. Your rig looks damn good, too. Hope you enjoy it.

Raphael

Its happening isnt it?
Cheap super capable PCs on the horizon.

kanzRN3.png

RWRto1t.png
Amazinga and envious. We rarely ever get decent price cuts over here

Dipship31

You already have a key with Win10 Pro. Once you're all setup, you can contact Microsoft support and tell them you have a new motherboard. Or it might be tied to your Microsoft account now. Everything keeps switching. Your rig looks damn good, too. Hope you enjoy it.
I kind of want to sell this existing rig completely in tact so I take it I'd need to keep this Windows key attached to this system correct?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I kind of want to sell this existing rig completely in tact so I take it I'd need to keep this Windows key attached to this system correct?
Assuming you logged into the a Mcirsoft account with your PC (OneDrive, Xbox, Email) then that Windows Key is now tied to your account.

Yerd

Gotcha so probably just better to try to migrate my Windows account over to my new PC then
There's nothing to migrate. You just log in. If you have a windows key on another pc, it's attached to the motherboard. So in order for you to change it over it takes a long call to ms. I think the free upgrade versions may not be transferable. It's usually a hassle.

I'm waiting for the new AMD X3D cpus but can't decide on a motherboard. Well, there is one I have my eye on, "Asus B650E-E Gaming WiFi" but it's out of stock in a lot of places.

I just saw another board which is the "NZXT N7". I didn't know NZXT made motherboards. I know they make good cases but that's it. Anyone have experience with their boards? I loove the simplistic look they have going on but not sure about the quality and support of these boards. I really like the all black board but would probably go for the black/white one to kinda match my black/silver GPU (with white LEDs).

9qW7ote.jpg

CPqrEkE.jpg

GreatnessRD

I'm waiting for the new AMD X3D cpus but can't decide on a motherboard. Well, there is one I have my eye on, "Asus B650E-E Gaming WiFi" but it's out of stock in a lot of places.

I just saw another board which is the "NZXT N7". I didn't know NZXT made motherboards. I know they make good cases but that's it. Anyone have experience with their boards? I loove the simplistic look they have going on but not sure about the quality and support of these boards. I really like the all black board but would probably go for the black/white one to kinda match my black/silver GPU (with white LEDs).

9qW7ote.jpg

CPqrEkE.jpg
No personal experience, but reviews show a lot of people like 'em. I do love the clean look, but never wanted to spend their premium price, personally. I think they use Asrock BIOS. Can't remember where I heard that, but don't know for sure. If you don't mind the price, I'd say go for it.

Sleepwalker

So my current build is

X570 tuf mobo
Ryzen 5 3600xt
Evga 2080s
32gb ram @ 3200

Ive been using this pc for a bit over 3 years if my memory doesnt fail me, but this is the year ive been meaning to upgrade.

Heres where I cant decide. Lately I havent been using my PC to game too much because ive been running a side project on it that's pretty resource heavy on the cpu side.

So these are the choices I have:

- Keep current PC and use it only for my project, build completely new PC for gaming (slowly)

- Upgrade current PC to a cpu with igpu (probably 5700g) and build new gaming pc (using the 2080s temporarily)

Fairly sure I wont be buying a GPU right away as I want a founders 4090 and they seem perpetually oos.

I'm not looking to completely max out a next gen build but do want something that can last me a good 3-4 years like my current build.

AM5 mobos seem to be really expensive atm, im not that well versed on Intel stuff but could you get similar performance for less out of them?

Open to any recommendations :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

So my current build is

X570 tuf mobo
Ryzen 5 3600xt
Evga 2080s
32gb ram @ 3200

Ive been using this pc for a bit over 3 years if my memory doesnt fail me, but this is the year ive been meaning to upgrade.

Heres where I cant decide. Lately I havent been using my PC to game too much because ive been running a side project on it that's pretty resource heavy on the cpu side.

So these are the choices I have:

- Keep current PC and use it only for my project, build completely new PC for gaming (slowly)

- Upgrade current PC to a cpu with igpu (probably 5700g) and build new gaming pc (using the 2080s temporarily)

Fairly sure I wont be buying a GPU right away as I want a founders 4090 and they seem perpetually oos.

I'm not looking to completely max out a next gen build but do want something that can last me a good 3-4 years like my current build.

AM5 mobos seem to be really expensive atm, im not that well versed on Intel stuff but could you get similar performance for less out of them?

Open to any recommendations :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
Sounds like you want to waste money for the sake of wasting money. Stay in socket with your current PC build and just upgrade the CPU to either a 5900x or 5950x if your task is THAT cpu intensive. Since you haven't been gaming much, the 2080 is still a more than capable card that will continue to hold you over with just the CPU upgrade, in my opinion anyway.

Sleepwalker

Sounds like you want to waste money for the sake of wasting money. Stay in socket with your current PC build and just upgrade the CPU to either a 5900x or 5950x if your task is THAT cpu intensive. Since you haven't been gaming much, the 2080 is still a more than capable card that will continue to hold you over with just the CPU upgrade, in my opinion anyway.
Yeah, but the reason im unable to game is because I have tasks running basically 24/7 not because I dont want to. I would like to stay in socket though, that is fair so maybe Ill look into that first and see how it performs before committing to a new build on top.

Deanington

Why does the custom keyboard community had full boards? I wanna build one, but I need a full keyboard, lol.

You are right about that. It is very rare to have a full size custom keyboard. The most common custom board as far as getting close to a full size is a TKL (80%).

Last edited:

Erebus

Is a 1000W overkill for a 4070 Ti? I'm currently on a 650W Corsair PSU but from what I understand is not sufficient for an RTX 4070 Ti.

winjer

Gold Member
Is a 1000W overkill for a 4070 Ti? I'm currently on a 650W Corsair PSU but from what I understand is not sufficient for an RTX 4070 Ti.

NVidia recommends a 600W PSU for that GPU. So you are good.
Mind you the 4070Ti only uses around 260W while gaming. With peaks of 300W.

GymWolf

Can i use a small vacuum cleaner to suck the dust from the front panel, back panel, bottom case fans, psu fans?

I heard they produce statics so they can damage the parts.

Or maybe a small electric air compressor because every time i used compressed air cans they always left a wet residue and i have several heart attacks...maybe they were defective or some shit.

How do you people avoid to clean an your pc too often?

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Can i use a small vacuum cleaner to suck the dust from the front panel, back panel, bottom case fans, psu fans?

I heard they produce statics so they can damage the parts.

Or maybe a small electric air compressor because every time i used compressed air cans they always left a wet residue and i have several heart attacks...maybe they were defective or some shit.

How do you people avoid to clean an your pc too often?

No. Don't use a vacuum as those can damage your PC.

I use a Compu Cleaner. It's pretty good for cleaning my PC and keyboard. I also use it to blow dust in the car, where the vacuum cleaner can't reach. And to clean other stuff around the house.

h10X9XL.jpg

GymWolf

I use a Compu Cleaner. It's pretty good for cleaning my PC and keyboard. I also use it to blow dust in the car, where the vacuum cleaner can't reach. And to clean other stuff around the house.

h10X9XL.jpg
No risk of blowing contacts or solded parts and shit? Or to damage fans etc?

Do you take your pc apart when you clean? Or just remove the side panel for a quick cleaning?

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
No risk of blowing contacts or solded parts and shit? Or to damage fans etc?

Do you take your pc apart when you clean? Or just remove the side panel for a quick cleaning?

It's not that powerful to break soldered parts and stuff like that.
I also don't use it point blank. I keep a distance of 5-10cm. The kit also has a couple of adaptors that regulate air pressure.
For fans I put finger on them to prevent them from spinning, then use the blower.

Usually, I just remove the side panel and do a quick clean up. Sometimes, I remove the GPU.
Maybe once in a year, I remove the fans and clean them with a thin cloth.
Very important, keep the air intake filters clean. Most cases allow you to take them off and the you can blow the dust away.

GymWolf

It's not that powerful to break soldered parts and stuff like that.
I also don't use it point blank. I keep a distance of 5-10cm. The kit also has a couple of adaptors that regulate air pressure.
For fans I put finger on them to prevent them from spinning, then use the blower.

Usually, I just remove the side panel and do a quick clean up. Sometimes, I remove the GPU.
Maybe once in a year, I remove the fans and clean them with a thin cloth.
Very important, keep the air intake filters clean. Most cases allow you to take them off and the you can blow the dust away.
I found the same model on amazon.it for around 50 euros how much did you payed for yours?

winjer

Gold Member
I found the same model on amazon.it for around 50 euros how much did you payed for yours?

I paid the same price, 2 years ago.
But you don't have to buy the same brand and model as I did.
if you find something that does the same job but cheaper, go for it.

GymWolf

I paid the same price, 2 years ago.
But you don't have to buy the same brand and model as I did.
if you find something that does the same job but cheaper, go for it.
If it's okay for you, it is ok for me, at least it's an already tested product.

Shwing

h10X9XL.jpg
I use one of these myself - awesome device! No way dust isn't moving when using one 😁

Elitro

I have re-ascended! My new build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZnVqZw

Finally decided to pull the trigger, so far very happy but haven't really pushed it.

My only 'disappointment' is having to get a last gen GPU (prices are ridiculous).

Question: How often do you guys clean up/replace paste on your GPUs? I bought mine used. My old pc is still running a 970 which i only cleaned from the outside and never had any issues but i'm not sure if maintenance increases the lifespan on them.

I've settled on the parts I'm going to buy. Well, almost settled. Not 100% sure on the CPU yet.

CPU: 7900X3D or 7950X3D
Motherboard: Asus B650E-E Gaming Wifi
RAM: Corsair 64GB (2x32GB) 6000
SSD: WD SN850X 2TB

I'd be fine with a 7800X3D and 32GB RAM but fuck it. I'm concerned how much RAM games are using now which is anywhere up to 24GB. Fortnite uses <19GB, Hogwarts uses <21GB, and Flight Sim uses <24GB. That's starting to cut it close for my liking. I want to future proof my PC. I am glad I didn't listen to people telling me 16GB was fine and I was wasting my money buying 32GB so I'm doing the same this time. I'm going with 64GB.

8 cores is enough for gaming but I use my PC for more than just gaming. Nothing serious but it'll be nice to have more cores. And I know it's silly but when I upgrade my PC i want to go for something higher spec. I mean, my first PC was 4c/4t cpu and 8GB RAM. I then upgraded to 4c/8t CPU with 16GB RAM and then I upgraded to an 8/16 CPU with 32GB RAM. Now I want to move up to 12/24-16/32 CPU with 64GB RAM.

Price isn't really an issue. I could just go with the 7950X3D and probably will but if it's really expensive then I might just go with the 7900X3D. I'm expecting the 7900X3D to be ~£530 and the 7950X3D to be £650-700. So really if the 7950X3D is over £700 I'll go with the 7900X3D.

Definitely. I have 1000W for my 4080 and I feel like I could've stuck with my 750W PSU. I did undervolt my 4080 to be fair but even if I kept stock settings it wouldn't change how I feel. My 4080 uses no more than ~310W while maintaining same performance as stock settings but as a result of undervolting it runs ~4C cooler and saves anywhere up to 70W.

If you're going to overclock and/or if you have an overclocked CPU I'd suggest going with 750W at minimum. 850W will be more than enough. If you can find a good deal on a 1000W compared to a 850W then just go for it.

Last edited:

Elitro

What's the best way to buy Windows in 2023? I know I can just buy a key directly from Microsoft, but are there more cost effective (and safe) ways to purchase Windows these days? Also is it better to just buy Windows 10 or is it better to just upgrade to 11 since building a new build? Currently just using 10 Pro and seems to work fine on my current rig
I just searched google for a cd key and ended up buying a Win11 pro key for like 2 or 3 euros. Registered just fine and is associated with my MS account.

Elitro

YouTube makes it so easy to build a computer.
Yeah. This was my first time building everything from scratch and it's amazing how simple and straightforward the process was. Just checked youtube to see where some of the pins connected on the MB and everything worked on first power on.
The 'trickiest' part was having to update the MB bios. I actually stumbled on this when researching the setup, my board by default would clock my 6000Mhz Ram at 4800. I tried to clock it higher but the PC wouldn't boot properly, only after a bios update was i able to do it.

I'm concerned how much RAM games are using now which is anywhere up to 24GB. Fortnite uses <19GB, Hogwarts uses <21GB, and Flight Sim uses <24GB. That's starting to cut it close for my liking. I want to future proof my PC. I am glad I didn't listen to people telling me 16GB was fine and I was wasting my money buying 32GB so I'm doing the same this time. I'm going with 64GB.
Wouldn't it make more sense to add the extra 32gb at a time where you really feel you need it? When that time comes perhaps you can get better deals.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well, gentlemen (and lady), for my next upgrade lined up

7900x3d
1300w EVGA Supernova
Asus ROG Strix x670E-F Gaming MB
32gb 5200mhz DDR5
Arctic 360mm AIO
Corsair 7000D Airflow Case
1Tb PCIe4 nvme

Bringing all my SSD and nvme space from my 5900x rig and am going to sell that thing with a 2080 Super probably.

GreatnessRD

Well, gentlemen (and lady), for my next upgrade lined up

7900x3d
1300w EVGA Supernova
Asus ROG Strix x670E-F Gaming MB
32gb 5200mhz DDR5
Arctic 360mm AIO
Corsair 7000D Airflow Case
1Tb PCIe4 nvme

Bringing all my SSD and nvme space from my 5900x rig and am going to sell that thing with a 2080 Super probably.
ridley scott gladiator GIF

What GPU are you eyeing for the upgrade? 4090, yeah? YEAH?!

LiquidMetal14

ridley scott gladiator GIF

What GPU are you eyeing for the upgrade? 4090, yeah? YEAH?!
I already have the Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 ,🫢. I have a 2080 Super in a small form factor PC I may sell as well that would go way better with the 64gb vengeance ddr4 and the 5900x/1000w Supernova P3.

Know anyone who'll want a rig? I'll have 2 for sale soonish.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

I already have the Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 ,🫢. I have a 2080 Super in a small form factor PC I may sell as well that would go way better with the 64gb vengeance ddr4 and the 5900x/1000w Supernova P3.

Know anyone who'll want a rig? I'll have 2 for sale soonish.
Oh, you didn't place it in your upgrade list, didn't know, hah. And I personally don't know who's in the running for a build, sorry.

LiquidMetal14

Man, I knew I couldn't necessarily hold back on the upgrades. I have probably already 12 TB of nvme and SSD storage but wanted a fast 2 terabyte so went ahead and got a 980 pro and from the looks of it it's going to be a pretty killer rig. Just need that CPU now.

This is a question since I see a quote from somebody just above me talking about it but is it worth going up from the $7,900 to the 7950 x 3d? I don't do as much productivity but I do and I just wanted to be worth it for gaming

LiquidMetal14

Double post but after doing some research on the 7900 x 3D versus the 7950 x 3D, it looks like single core the 7950 boost higher but the base clock and multicore is higher on the 7900. I think for gaming that makes it a pretty no brainer given the base and boost clocks especially for all core which according to the limited research is 5.2 versus the 7950x which is 5.0 all core. Those are still some pretty extremely impressive numbers coming from what I'm used to seeing but the rest other than the extra physical cores doesn't seem to be that much different. Unless the 7950 supports more Lanes since it seems like the 7900 supports 24 PCI Lanes.

manfestival

while I am perfectly pleased with my 6800xt performance... a part of me is thinking that I sell it and get a 7900xtx.... especially if it drops under $1000 in the next couple of months somehow. Only downside is... I will be bottlenecked in system and monitor since I am running dual 1440p. oh well

MikeM

while I am perfectly pleased with my 6800xt performance... a part of me is thinking that I sell it and get a 7900xtx.... especially if it drops under $1000 in the next couple of months somehow. Only downside is... I will be bottlenecked in system and monitor since I am running dual 1440p. oh well
You’ll get better long term usage then.

OZ9000

Banned

h10X9XL.jpg
I've got this. It's very powerful and it works well. Cleans the entire PC in 2 minutes.

Nvzman

Ada is extremely efficient, even the 4080 barely goes over 320w, and the transient spikes are not very severe in the slightest (I think for the 4080 the spike goes to like 370w, which is significantly better than anything from Ampere). 650w would most likely be completely fine as long as your CPU doesn't draw a ton of power (i.e. a 13700k/13900k)

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I suppose RTX 4060 Ti will come out in April-July 2023.
I hope to get a good price on them if possible.
Just buy a 3060Ti'G6X or 3070 for like 350 dollars and call it a day.
The 4060Ti will be atleast 500 dollars and come with buyers remorse from the jump.

They are also not only gimped on memory bandwidth but also by being PCIEx8 instead of x16.
ftornBh.png

If you are in the US hunt down an RTX3080 for ~450 dollars and your are sorted.
RWRto1t.png

Astray

Gold Member

9qW7ote.jpg

CPqrEkE.jpg
The clean look is great but you can get more featires6 for your money from other brands, if you are partial to the white you should check the Gigabyte line up because they have a clean looking line that's more geared towards creators, I think it's name was Vision?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom