• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2023. 6-24 Cores, Frame Generation, Enhanced Ray Tracing & Direct Storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My nvme seems to be getting a 500m/s read speed, when it's supposed to be around 4000 max. Is this normal? According to the checkups I done the SSD health seems to be perfectly fine (94% for a 4 year old drive). What can cause this? Can this be causing stuttering in games?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Then I entertained a thought of building new pc for me.
4080 and 13900k and z690. Top end stuff. Came up to 3500$ jesus christ
I bet with some sensible choices you could get that down to $2500 without having to compromise on performance.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I bet with some sensible choices you could get that down to $2500 without having to compromise on performance.
yeah. 13700k or 7700x and so on. But cutbacks are getting a bit strong.
Realistically, in my situation, I just sell 3080 and 3700x and get 5800x3d and 4080

SF Kosmo

My nvme seems to be getting a 500m/s read speed, when it's supposed to be around 4000 max. Is this normal? According to the checkups I done the SSD health seems to be perfectly fine (94% for a 4 year old drive). What can cause this? Can this be causing stuttering in games?
How do you have it connected? If you're using a SATA enclosure or something you will get SATA speeds (which is exactly what you are getting). Likewise if your M.2 slot doesn't support at least PCIe 3.0, that's gonna bottleneck your speeds as well.

Probably not causing stuttering in games, as your random read times are still gonna be okay. But certainly longer load times and boot times.

How do you have it connected? If you're using a SATA enclosure or something you will get SATA speeds (which is exactly what you are getting). Likewise if your M.2 slot doesn't support at least PCIe 3.0, that's gonna bottleneck your speeds as well.

Probably not causing stuttering in games, as your random read times are still gonna be okay. But certainly longer load times and boot times.
It's connected via a NVME slot in my motherboard, a Gigabyte B460-HD3. It supports PCIe 3.0 iirc. The SSD is an Adata XPG.

Is formatting worth a shot? Maybe it's something like fragmentation

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Buddy asked to make an example build for his nephew or something....
3060ti, 13400kf, 32gb of ram, 2tb nvme. All rather mid parts. Nothing above mid grade...
Came up to 1400$... so many compromises but a fully functional, good pc of course. +monitor and mouse/key but we are not counting that.

Then I entertained a thought of building new pc for me.
4080 and 13900k and z690. Top end stuff. Came up to 3500$ jesus christ
$3500 is not a bad price for a nice non corner cutting pc

In all honesty I keep going back to this Alienware R15 13700 4080 prebuilt I got from Best Buy for $2200 as an open box buy and have been pushing this thing hard on ultrawide 240hz and I hate to admit I am blown away by a damn Alienware who has put out shit prebuilt the last several years.

This thing is running totally silent and slaying games I am throwing at it

I am almost hate to give it up as its a gift for my niece for graduating College once she gets her house

One down side its an ugly case imo

SF Kosmo

It's connected via a NVME slot in my motherboard, a Gigabyte B460-HD3. It supports PCIe 3.0 iirc. The SSD is an Adata XPG.

Is formatting worth a shot? Maybe it's something like fragmentation
Doubt that would help. Make sure TRIM is enabled. Make sure you aren't having heat issues.

Also what is your testing methodology? Official benchmark utility it just copying stuff in Windows? You aren't ever going to get ideal speeds in normal practical use.

Doubt that would help. Make sure TRIM is enabled. Make sure you aren't having heat issues.

Also what is your testing methodology? Official benchmark utility it just copying stuff in Windows? You aren't ever going to get ideal speeds in normal practical use.
Bit of everything. Checked health via CrystalDiskMark, speed via command prompt commands, also used HWInfo64. I noticed stuttering and slow downloads while the network seemed fine, and big "whining" sounds coming from the SSD. Temperatures may be a factor, I'm changing the motherboard soon as I'm migrating to AM5 so maybe I'll be able to get it cooler then

That doesn't seem too bad, to be honest. Which i7 is it?

A full platform upgrade? What resolution are you gaming at? What's your plan. Could be 12th gen Intel, 13th or even something from Zen4 if you want forward compatibility.
1440p resolution on main monitor and 4k on TV.

I'm currently looking for a build that I can lock at native 4K, 60fps. I don't need it to go any higher than that as I'll be running it primarily for Starfield on an LG 55" OLED E8. It's only a 60hz display.

I do plan on buying a new LG OLED eventually that has 120hz capabilities so I'd like the PC to be able compatible with that if needs to be.

Should I just bite the bullet and go with a $3,500 build with an I9 and 4090 or can I scale that back slightly and still get what I'm looking for?

I'm primarily building this for Starfield and to replace my older mid range PC. I know Starfield will most likely be heavily CPU bound so I need to someone to help with picking parts more in depth. Thanks.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I'm currently looking for a build that I can lock at native 4K, 60fps. I don't need it to go any higher than that as I'll be running it primarily for Starfield on an LG 55" OLED E8. It's only a 60hz display.

I do plan on buying a new LG OLED eventually that has 120hz capabilities so I'd like the PC to be able compatible with that if needs to be.

Should I just bite the bullet and go with a $3,500 build with an I9 and 4090 or can I scale that back slightly and still get what I'm looking for?

I'm primarily building this for Starfield and to replace my older mid range PC. I know Starfield will most likely be heavily CPU bound so I need to someone to help with picking parts more in depth. Thanks.

I think at this point there is no way to know for sure that an i9/4090 will be able to run Starfield 4k/60fps. I think you should wait.

I think at this point there is no way to know for sure that an i9/4090 will be able to run Starfield 4k/60fps. I think you should wait.
Thanks, yea. I think I'm going to wait until the first few weeks of release at least to make a final decision.

My friend just helped me come up with these specs so far on PC Part Picker.

CPU
Intel Core i5-13600KF 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor $289.99

CPU Cooler
Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler $119.95

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z790 AORUS ELITE AX ATX LGA1700 Motherboard $254.99

Memory
G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory $104.99

Storage
Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive $129.99

Video Card
XFX Speedster MERC 310 Black Edition Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card $979.99

Case
Fractal Design Pop XL Air ATX Full Tower Case $109.99

Power Supply
Corsair RM1000x (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $164.99

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit $119.99

Celcius

°Temp. member
Thanks, yea. I think I'm going to wait until the first few weeks of release at least to make a final decision.

CPU

CPU Cooler

Motherboard

Memory

Storage

Video Card
XFX Speedster MERC 310 Black Edition Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card $979.99

Case

Power Supply
Corsair RM1000x (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $164.99

Operating System
I'd really recommend windows 11... especially if you're going with Intel 13th gen. It's better at scheduling those threads and it's also the future and there's really no reason to skip it at this point.

I'd really recommend windows 11... especially if you're going with Intel 13th gen. It's better at scheduling those threads and it's also the future and there's really no reason to skip it at this point.
Gotcha, thanks. I picked windows 10 because I wasn't sure if 11 had some fuckery about it like windows 8 haha. But if it's normal that's what I'll pick.

SF Kosmo

There's not much difference between an i9 and an i7 this gen when it comes to gaming performance. You get more E-cores but those aren't very helpful in gaming, and some people disable them altogether if they mostly want to focus on games. You still get the same amount of P-cores.

You probably don't need a 4090 either but it's impossible to say right now since the game isn't out. We also don't know about DLSS support which will make reaching 4K a lot easier.

There's not much difference between an i9 and an i7 this gen when it comes to gaming performance. You get more E-cores but those aren't very helpful in gaming, and some people disable them altogether if they mostly want to focus on games. You still get the same amount of P-cores.

You probably don't need a 4090 either but it's impossible to say right now since the game isn't out. We also don't know about DLSS support which will make reaching 4K a lot easier.
Right, true. DLSS seems to be working pretty sweet wonders on Cyberpunk so far from what I've seen. So that could always help.

SF Kosmo

Windows 11 kind of blows. I upgraded when I built my new system, but I regret it a lot. It's just much buggier.

My recommendation to people is always just to buy a license key for Win 10 from a third party for cheap. I got mine for like $15. And you can upgrade it to 11 for free if you really want.

A.Romero

CPU

CPU Cooler

Motherboard

Memory

Storage

Video Card

Case

Power Supply

Operating System

I'm running a similar set up but with a 3070 instead of a 7900 and a 13600 k instead of a KF and DDR4 instead of 5. So far the CPU has been more than enough for any game I've thrown at it. The GPU does struggle with some games at 4K maxed.

Look into DDR4 to make sure it's what you need. A few months ago when I upgraded I couldn't justify it and decided to wait for the next refresh to jump into 5.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Windows 11 kind of blows. I upgraded when I built my new system, but I regret it a lot. It's just much buggier.

My recommendation to people is always just to buy a license key for Win 10 from a third party for cheap. I got mine for like $15. And you can upgrade it to 11 for free if you really want.
What kind of bugs are you experiencing? I’ve been on windows 11 since day 1 and it’s been great. It’s basically an enhanced version of windows 10.

SF Kosmo

Look into DDR4 to make sure it's what you need. A few months ago when I upgraded I couldn't justify it and decided to wait for the next refresh to jump into 5.
DDR5 has gotten cheaper to where it's probably worth it. Historically memory speeds haven't had a huge impact on performance, but that's changing now as everything else gets faster and memory has to keep up. It's not going to make a HUGE difference but it can make a noticeable one.

SF Kosmo

What kind of bugs are you experiencing? I’ve been on windows 11 since day 1 and it’s been great. It’s basically an enhanced version of windows 10.
Nah, it's been dog shit since day one. At one point it got so fucked it would just BSOD on boot and I had to clean install. If I connect multiple displays to it with different refresh rates it has massive stuttering even if one of the displays is off and disabled in Windows. I've had issues with disappearing cursors, with games starting in the background or not fullscreening correctly. Bluetooth controllers periodically become unresponsive and I have to manually forget them and reconnect them to get them working again...

It's a constant never ending parade of bullshit, on a brand new high end computer. I had Windows 10 for years and never had a single issue. I have experienced no meaningful benefit from 11 and constant headaches.

Last edited:
I'm running a similar set up but with a 3070 instead of a 7900 and a 13600 k instead of a KF and DDR4 instead of 5. So far the CPU has been more than enough for any game I've thrown at it. The GPU does struggle with some games at 4K maxed.

DDR5 has gotten cheaper to where it's probably worth it. Historically memory speeds haven't had a huge impact on performance, but that's changing now as everything else gets faster and memory has to keep up. It's not going to make a HUGE difference but it can make a noticeable one.
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I'll probably end up sticking with DDR5 even though it's a little more money, simply to future proof the build, especially because I'm still a few months out from finalizing it. I'm definitely trying to get the most bang for my buck without going overboard. But if I can keep my price relatively close to $2,000 (over or under) I think I should be good.

Do you run your games at 60fps in 4K? Or at a higher framerate. What is your definition of struggling. I don't need anything more than a locked 60fps.

A.Romero

Do you run your games at 60fps in 4K? Or at a higher framerate. What is your definition of struggling. I don't need anything more than a locked 60fps.

I play on 2 setups: 4K oled TV and 1440P Desktop monitor. The first one is for SP games or games that are played with a pad like fighting games. I haven't played any too recent but I have run stuff like Hitman 3 (no RT), Mass Effect Legendary Edition and Days Gone at 4k/60 FPS.

The PC monitor is mostly aimed for games played with a keyboard and mouse. I can run BF2042 all maxed out at 1440P with 70-80 FPS or Darktide 1440P same framrate all maxed out.

Recently I tried Hell let loose and it can go all the way to 90 - 100 fps but dip to 60 fps on some parts.

So basically it depends on what you want to play and how. I'd describe my computer as mid leaning towards high tier.

SF Kosmo

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I'll probably end up sticking with DDR5 even though it's a little more money, simply to future proof the build, especially because I'm still a few months out from finalizing it. I'm definitely trying to get the most bang for my buck without going overboard. But if I can keep my price relatively close to $2,000 (over or under) I think I should be good.
That was my budget. You could make a few tweaks. An i7-13700KF is only a little more expensive for about a 25% performance uplift.

You could make it up by going with the $800 RTX 4070Ti, which has like 15% less raw rasterization power at native resolutions but in practice more than makes up for it when you factor in DLSS and RT and DLSS, and saves you $200. Like a 407Ti will get you 90fps in Cyberpunk Overdrive and a 7900 will get 25, so don't get hung up on benchmarks that don't reflect real life.

You could probably get away with an 850W power supply and still have overhead. But that's not a huge savings. Likewise you could probably get a motherboard that is $50-60 less without losing anything important.

But overall solid choices.

Pandemic

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a new PC here in Australia.

I've got a few specs put together though out of curiosity, should I be looking at DDR4 or DDR5? Don't know the difference between the two.

Thanks guys.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Posted in another topic, but would be better here:
I'm considering upgrading my PC. Partly for Starfield coming out and also because I'm still rocking a 2700X and 1070 from this build back in later 2019.

Haven't done too much research yet, but I'm going to be sticking with AM4 (and probably skipping AM5 altogether). Right now I have a 6700XT in mind for GPU and a 5800X3D for CPU. Not sure if a 3060TI or maybe just plunging for a 3070 would be a better idea.

Planning to wait until closer to Starfield launches before I actually starting buying parts.
Should also note that I'll be mostly doing 1440p gaming.

I use my PC for gameplay recording (mostly console currently) and some occasional editing (Premiere, Illustrator, Photoshop).

Last edited:
Posted in another topic, but would be better here:

Should also note that I'll be mostly doing 1440p gaming.

I use my PC for gameplay recording (mostly console currently) and some occasional editing (Premiere, Illustrator, Photoshop).
1) Definitely a good idea to avoid any 8Gb VRAM cards. So I wouldn't recommend the 3060ti/3070/4060ti 8gb etc. It is likely that any multiplatform games going forward will be built around 10gb or more VRAM (equalent to what the ps5/xsx effectively has), so in order to maintain texture quality and reduce stuttering a higher VRAM GPU is recommended, especially at 1440p.

2) In general CPU wise the 5800x3d will more than suffice. However I wonder whether even that will stuggle in games like Starfield built on creaky engines where no amount of brute forcing will give a noticeable performance increase. I hate to say it, but I do wonder if this is where DLSS3 frame gen might be the only go to solution. Ofc I don't think it was announced that Starfield will support DLSS3, but it's at least likely I suppose.

R6Rider

Gold Member
1) Definitely a good idea to avoid any 8Gb VRAM cards. So I wouldn't recommend the 3060ti/3070/4060ti 8gb etc. It is likely that any multiplatform games going forward will be built around 10gb or more VRAM (equalent to what the ps5/xsx effectively has), so in order to maintain texture quality and reduce stuttering a higher VRAM GPU is recommended, especially at 1440p.

2) In general CPU wise the 5800x3d will more than suffice. However I wonder whether even that will stuggle in games like Starfield built on creaky engines where no amount of brute forcing will give a noticeable performance increase. I hate to say it, but I do wonder if this is where DLSS3 frame gen might be the only go to solution. Ofc I don't think it was announced that Starfield will support DLSS3, but it's at least likely I suppose.
Yeah, I'm looking at the 12Gb VRAM cards in the 300-350 range. At the same time, I'm wondering if going for something closer to 400 would be a safer bet.

Starfield and CPU issues is among my biggest concerns and the reason I'm holding off until closer to release (or even after).

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm looking at the 12Gb VRAM cards in the 300-350 range. At the same time, I'm wondering if going for something closer to 400 would be a safer bet.

Starfield and CPU issues is among my biggest concerns and the reason I'm holding off until closer to release (or even after).
6700xt might be the least expensive "decent" option right now, if one preferres texture quality, stable minimum framerates and value for money. I myself got my eye on the 6800 16gb and the upcoming 4060ti 16gb and even the 7700/7800 range from AMD which should at least pop up in 3Q. It is difficult to judge how much power/VRAM/other features that a pc gamer on a budget would need right now since it seems like we are just transitioning to the the heavy "current gen" phase of the cycle where demands increase so much that requires games to be locked to 30fps on consoles. A wait and see approach is best.

GreatnessRD

I've got a few specs put together though out of curiosity, should I be looking at DDR4 or DDR5? Don't know the difference between the two.

Thanks guys.
DDR5 is newer spec. Depending on the platform you choose, going DDR5 could have forward compatibility. For example, AMD and their AM5 socket have a few more upgrades to them whereas with Intel, I believe the 13th Gen is their last for socket 1700. DDR4 is still a great option especially if you're budget conscious. What do you plan to do with thew new PC?

I play on 2 setups: 4K oled TV and 1440P Desktop monitor. The first one is for SP games or games that are played with a pad like fighting games. I haven't played any too recent but I have run stuff like Hitman 3 (no RT), Mass Effect Legendary Edition and Days Gone at 4k/60 FPS.

The PC monitor is mostly aimed for games played with a keyboard and mouse. I can run BF2042 all maxed out at 1440P with 70-80 FPS or Darktide 1440P same framrate all maxed out.

Recently I tried Hell let loose and it can go all the way to 90 - 100 fps but dip to 60 fps on some parts.

So basically it depends on what you want to play and how. I'd describe my computer as mid leaning towards high tier.
That's awesome. I'll most likely have a similar setup just with a 1080p monitor if I plan on keeping it, but more than likely I'll upgrade it to 1440p.

Do you run them as dual monitors? So like when you boot up Days Gone it just boots on your TV?

And about Hell Let Loose, I've been playing that since the open beta in 2017. Actually a couple of the soldier death sounds from are some of my voice work which is pretty funny. They held a community "death sounds" competition where anyone could submit their voice lines and they would pick a bunch of the best ones from different people.

But as a separate tangent, stick with that game. It's probably the best multiplayer shooter I've ever played. I got sick of Battlefield over the years becoming so casual. And it's hands down the best WW2 game that I've played. The maps are modeled on 1 to 1 scale geography of the real life locations. So every street that you're on it is real and some of the maps have very iconic real life landmarks as well.

Anyway, yes HLL is not the most optimized game in the world but that's goo to know that you can get well over 60fps on it with your setup. I'll keep that in mind.

That was my budget. You could make a few tweaks. An i7-13700KF is only a little more expensive for about a 25% performance uplift.

You could make it up by going with the $800 RTX 4070Ti, which has like 15% less raw rasterization power at native resolutions but in practice more than makes up for it when you factor in DLSS and RT and DLSS, and saves you $200. Like a 407Ti will get you 90fps in Cyberpunk Overdrive and a 7900 will get 25, so don't get hung up on benchmarks that don't reflect real life.

You could probably get away with an 850W power supply and still have overhead. But that's not a huge savings. Likewise you could probably get a motherboard that is $50-60 less without losing anything important.

But overall solid choices.
Interesting. I'll look into these suggestions. I don't think I'll mind spending a little extra if it means I'll have more buffer room when trying to keep a solid framerate.

SF Kosmo

Thanks guys.
If you're getting a new system, get DDR5. At this point the chief advantage of DDR4 is upgrading an old system and keeping your RAM to save money. But the price difference on new systems is not enough to make DDR4 worth it.

But, again, it's not a huge deal. Memory speeds only really make a difference when nothing else is bottlenecking, so basically high framerate gaming. That advantage starts to go away when you start doing 4K or things where the GPU or CPU will be the limiting factor.

Also keep in mind you don't need to buy the fastest, most expensive DDR5 around, and if you did it might not run better or even be compatible with your system. You want to find memory with timings that work with your CPU to reduce latency. For current gen Intel systems DDR-6400 seems to be the sweet spot. On AMD I think 6000 is the ceiling.

A.Romero

That's awesome. I'll most likely have a similar setup just with a 1080p monitor if I plan on keeping it, but more than likely I'll upgrade it to 1440p.

Do you run them as dual monitors? So like when you boot up Days Gone it just boots on your TV?

And about Hell Let Loose, I've been playing that since the open beta in 2017. Actually a couple of the soldier death sounds from are some of my voice work which is pretty funny. They held a community "death sounds" competition where anyone could submit their voice lines and they would pick a bunch of the best ones from different people.

But as a separate tangent, stick with that game. It's probably the best multiplayer shooter I've ever played. I got sick of Battlefield over the years becoming so casual. And it's hands down the best WW2 game that I've played. The maps are modeled on 1 to 1 scale geography of the real life locations. So every street that you're on it is real and some of the maps have very iconic real life landmarks as well.

Anyway, yes HLL is not the most optimized game in the world but that's goo to know that you can get well over 60fps on it with your setup. I'll keep that in mind.
I actually have a dual monitor set up and the tv as en extra in another room with a theater and consoles. When working and playing on the desktop I use both monitors, when I want to play on the TV I just turn off the monitors, turn on the TV and select the right input. It usually works seamlessly. The tv is in another room so I use unified remote to launch games and change Windows settings (for example the atmos sound).

I'm really liking hell let loose. I've been playing squad for a while and like it a lot but I found HLL more approachable because of the team indicators. I'll keep playing for sure (I've played like 20 hours so far).

My steam name is weymaster, in case you are looking for team mates (not very good though)

Additional E-cores = the new hyperthreading, in other words, right?

Pandemic

DDR5 is newer spec. Depending on the platform you choose, going DDR5 could have forward compatibility. For example, AMD and their AM5 socket have a few more upgrades to them whereas with Intel, I believe the 13th Gen is their last for socket 1700. DDR4 is still a great option especially if you're budget conscious. What do you plan to do with thew new PC?

Thanks for the info mate. It'll be mainly for gaming. My gaming PC I built over 6 years ago has since died on me and requires a new motherboard and new CPU.

If you're getting a new system, get DDR5. At this point the chief advantage of DDR4 is upgrading an old system and keeping your RAM to save money. But the price difference on new systems is not enough to make DDR4 worth it.

But, again, it's not a huge deal. Memory speeds only really make a difference when nothing else is bottlenecking, so basically high framerate gaming. That advantage starts to go away when you start doing 4K or things where the GPU or CPU will be the limiting factor.

Also keep in mind you don't need to buy the fastest, most expensive DDR5 around, and if you did it might not run better or even be compatible with your system. You want to find memory with timings that work with your CPU to reduce latency. For current gen Intel systems DDR-6400 seems to be the sweet spot. On AMD I think 6000 is the ceiling.

Thanks for the response, mate. I'll keep that in mind. I'm beginning to play around with a few builds to get an idea.

Chassis – Lian Li O11D Evo – Black
Motherboard – Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX DDR5
CPU – Intel Core i7-13700KF | 5.4 GHz | 16 Cores 24 Threads
Graphics Card – Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti Gaming OC – 12GB
CPU Cooling System – Aftershock Glacier Mirror 360mm
Thermal Compound – Premium Enthusiast Grade Thermal Compound
Primary SSD – 1TB Gen4 Samsung M.2. NVME (R: 7000MB/s | W: 5100MB/s)
Hard Drive – No Hard Drive (I'll add one in myself)
Chassis Fans – 6 x Aftershock F21 RGB 120mm Fans
RAM – 32GB Kingston Fury Beast Black 5600MHz (2x16GB) CL36
Operating System – Windows 11 Home 64 Bit
Power Supply Unit – 850W Inwin 80+ Gold – Modular

This is one example I'm looking at purchasing. Any thoughts or feedback from anyone would be appreciated!

SF Kosmo

Thanks for the info mate. It'll be mainly for gaming. My gaming PC I built over 6 years ago has since died on me and requires a new motherboard and new CPU.

Thanks for the response, mate. I'll keep that in mind. I'm beginning to play around with a few builds to get an idea.

Chassis – Lian Li O11D Evo – Black
Motherboard – Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX DDR5
CPU – Intel Core i7-13700KF | 5.4 GHz | 16 Cores 24 Threads
Graphics Card – Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti Gaming OC – 12GB
CPU Cooling System – Aftershock Glacier Mirror 360mm
Thermal Compound – Premium Enthusiast Grade Thermal Compound
Primary SSD – 1TB Gen4 Samsung M.2. NVME (R: 7000MB/s | W: 5100MB/s)
Hard Drive – No Hard Drive (I'll add one in myself)
Chassis Fans – 6 x Aftershock F21 RGB 120mm Fans
RAM – 32GB Kingston Fury Beast Black 5600MHz (2x16GB) CL36
Operating System – Windows 11 Home 64 Bit
Power Supply Unit – 850W Inwin 80+ Gold – Modular

This is one example I'm looking at purchasing. Any thoughts or feedback from anyone would be appreciated!
Solid. No notes, really. This is very similar to the system I built and my only regret is Windows 11.

nkarafo

I want to build a new PC soon with an Intel CPU, but i don't want those bullshit "E" cores in my system. Which means the only viable CPU i can get is the 12400 (6 x P cores).

But i would like at least an 8 core CPU. Is there anything else i could get or should i wait for 14th gen?

SF Kosmo

I want to build a new PC soon with an Intel CPU, but i don't want those bullshit "E" cores in my system. Which means the only viable CPU i can get is the 12400 (6 x P cores).

But i would like at least an 8 core CPU. Is there anything else i could get or should i wait for 14th gen?
You can disable E-cores in the BIOS. My Mobo actually calls this "gaming mode." Lots of people do this.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

You can disable E-cores in the BIOS. My Mobo actually calls this "gaming mode." Lots of people do this.
Why even do that though? Intel 13900K is as strong or stronger then even 7800x3d (depending on the game) and it's fine with e cores.

Especially considering AMD is going to go that route as well im the future and devs will start optimizing for them.

SF Kosmo

Why even do that though? Intel 13900K is as strong or stronger then even 7800x3d (depending on the game) and it's fine with e cores.

Especially considering AMD is going to go that route as well im the future and devs will start optimizing for them.
If all you care about is gaming, and not multitasking or productivity stuff, they do perform a little better in games with E-cores disabled, so that's why people do it. We saw that 7950x3Ds were performing slightly worse in games than 7800x3Ds as well, sometimes performance is weird like that.

It's true that the performance hit is minor, and nkarafo nkarafo is probably misunderstanding the extent or nature of it if he would genuinely consider a slower chip as a "solution," BUT my point is that it's easy to disable them if you want to.

nkarafo

Ι know but then what's the point in buying a more expensive CPU to disable a large portion of the features you are buying?

The 12400 seems like a better option, value wise, because of this. Sure, i would like something better than a 6-core only CPU. But it seems like every other intel CPU in existence with 8 cores or more have those E cores in them.

I really hope theres a "pure" 8 core intel CPU in the next line.

Because the E cores are a shitty design that can get in the way or performance, according to several emulator devs from the PCSX2 and Yuzu community. Not sure about the performance issues in other games though.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Ι know but then what's the point in buying a more expensive CPU to disable a large portion of the features you are buying?

The 12400 seems like a better option, value wise, because of this. Sure, i would like something better than a 6-core only CPU. But it seems like every other intel CPU in existence with 8 cores or more have those E cores in them.

I really hope theres a "pure" 8 core intel CPU in the next line.

Because the E cores are a shitty design that can get in the way or performance, according to several emulator devs from the PCSX2 and Yuzu community. Not sure about the performance issues in other games though.
It's not really that they're a shitty design, it's that they're a new design. E-cores help a lot in tasks that can be split up and scaled across any number of threads, because those tasks are agnostic to those sorts of imbalances.

But gaming is much more complicated. Different threads are doing different tasks, and all of them need to work together, so a demanding process on the less powerful core can be a "weak link" and slow things down. This is also why single core performance is still really important to emulation.

As devs get better and writing for asymmetrical processors, this issue will go away. The e-cores still provide a great deal of additional power at devs disposal, but it's about making sure the right threads end up on the right cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom