• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2022. The GPU drought continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonidas

Best one between these 2 rams?

Kingston FURY Beast 32GB (2x16GB) 5600MT/s CL40​

Corsair Vengeance DDR5 32 GB (2x16 GB) 5600MHz C36​

5600 C36 is better than 5600 C40 (depending on the other timings), but keep in mind most Raptor Lake reviews used faster kits with lower latency.

If you have a fast kit of DDR4 it might make sense to just stick with that as you could re-use the RAM and save even more on a cheaper DDR4 motherboard.

Last edited:

Yerd

what did they do exactly? which MB company do you like nowadays?
They built shoddy power supplies and many were exploding. There were reports of them refusing to replace them. It's been a while since I even read about it and forget the details. I've never owned a gigabyte psu, only motherboards. But, what I do remember was at the time making the decision to just avoid the brand.

Any of the big names are fine. Any motherboard will do. Just get the chipset that does what you want with the cpu you have. Get the features you need. Go to newegg or whichever store and select the chipset/socket you need and get what best suits you.

The only people that really worry about a motherboard's performance are people that want to break oc records. Nowadays it's trying to fit a color scheme to display in your case.

Hawk269

Need some advice. I am going to be building a new high end gaming rig early next year. However, with some sales going on now and the rest of this week and into holiday season, would you all recommend me buying some of the parts now to save some money?

A good example is that Amazon has the Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 2tb for sale for $179.99. However, since I can't afford to buy everything for the rig right now, this would sit for at least 2 months. While I can save a lot right now, the fear is that if it is defective, I am outside of amazon return policy. What would you folks suggest?

GymWolf

5600 C36 is better than 5600 C40 (depending on the other timings), but keep in mind most Raptor Lake reviews used faster kits with lower latency.

If you have a fast kit of DDR4 it might make sense to just stick with that as you could re-use the RAM and save even more on a cheaper DDR4 motherboard.
Let's discuss some ram because it is the next item i'm researching now.

I'm trying to make a build that is gonna last me 5 years (except the gpu that is not gonna last that long) so i'm trying to go the future proof way, this is the only reason why i'm considering ddr5 over ddr4, because people says that ddr5 are gonna be more utilized in the future, but how true is that?
Am i gonna have like a 50% more performance in a couple of years?

Also i watched some tests and it looks if i play at 4k, the difference between 5 and 4 (when 5 is superior) is almost always negligeable, and i plan tocplay everything at 4k.

This is really important because if i can save money between ram and mb, i can spend more for the gpu, but on the other hand, i don't wanna build a 2500 euros pc with "old tech" and maybe regret in 2-3 years if they really start using ddr5 like they should.

This is my current ram, probably not the best for a high end build

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Need some advice. I am going to be building a new high end gaming rig early next year. However, with some sales going on now and the rest of this week and into holiday season, would you all recommend me buying some of the parts now to save some money?

A good example is that Amazon has the Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 2tb for sale for $179.99. However, since I can't afford to buy everything for the rig right now, this would sit for at least 2 months. While I can save a lot right now, the fear is that if it is defective, I am outside of amazon return policy. What would you folks suggest?
Just wait until you're actually ready to purchase. Normally, each passing day makes hardware cheaper. And I'm sure the 980 Pro will go on sale again. It's been that price for at least a little over a month now. I know this just because I play with PC Partpicker as a hobby from time to time, lol.

s-bojan

Banned
Hi all! I am looking to upgrade one of the following and would like your advice on best bang for buck.

I currently have:
  • MSI 3070ti 8GB Suprim
  • i7 9700K CPU
  • 16GB DDR4
Is the processor a bottleneck for this build ATM? If so, what is the next logical upgrade from the 9700k? I heard either Intel Core i5-12400 or Intel Core i7-13700K . I prefer to stick with INTEL btw.

Is it worth upgrading to a 4090 from the 3070ti?

Thanks for your advice!
Depends on the kind of games you are playing and fps you want.
I have 8700k + 3070 and I am able to play 90% of games without any issues. However, there are a few where I've noticed that I have trouble keeping 60fps, no matter which settings I choose:
  1. Watch Dogs Legion - this game destroys my cpu, I've had to lock to 50fps
  2. Spiderman - it does not matter if I enable dlss or not, I still cannot lock to 60fps
  3. Deathloop - this is a weird one, it mostly works ok, but I have some drops that Alex from DF did not have on 3060 and better cpu. It seems that RT really puts a strain on my cpu.
Besides that, some posters mentioned how the stuttering in Elden Ring (something I've had) got a lot better after they've upgraded from 8th/9th cpu to the more recent one.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I got bored and decided to tinker with my PC. My CPU is already at it's OC limit (10700K @ 4.9ghz all core) with my cooler so I decided to focus on my videocard (evga rtx 3090 ftw3 ultra).

First I ran Unigine Heaven:
stock clocks= 77c, 77.5 fps
core undervolted to 900mv= 70c, 77.1 fps
core undervolted and oc mem +500 = 72c, 78.2 fps
core undervolted and oc mem +750 (3090Ti mem speed) = 72c, 78.7 fps

Then I decided to run my other usual benchmarks:
Stock:
3dmark firestrike = 33,197
3dmark timespy = 18,396
ff14 endwalker benchmark = 17,193
ff15 benchmark = 8,975
supersposition 1080p extreme = 12,856 @ 78c
Borderlands 3 = 86 fps

Undervolted gpu and overclocked mem:
3dmark firestrike = 33,201
3dmark timespy = 18,532
ff14 endwalker benchmark = 17,316
ff15 benchmark = 9,225
supersposition 1080p extreme = 12,259 @ 74c
Borderlands 3 = 88 fps

The core is running a few degrees cooler and the mem temps are the same (88c under full load), but fans are a little quieter than stock due to lower gpu temps. The only benchmark where the score didn't go up was Superposition (went down a little) but I guess it relies on the core more than memory.

Edit: Updated to add Borderlands 3 built-in benchmark @ 4K max settings as well

Last edited:

CLW

Yo mama so ugly, they break into her house to close the curtains
Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

Saucy Papi

I would just wait until you have the money to buy everything at once. You may even be able to get it even cheaper by the time you're able to build your PC since PC prices drop crazy quick.

posted in the 7900 XTX thread but I’m tinkering with building my first pc if the 7900 XTX is as good as it appears:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xNFdY9

Any comments/criticisms/insults would be greatly appreciated as I’m pretty ignorant on all aspects of the master race
This is a very similar build to what I'm going for. Is there a specific reason you're avoiding AMD for the CPU? The only reason I'm not considering them is because the motherboards are so expensive right now...

CLW

This is a very similar build to what I'm going for. Is there a specific reason you're avoiding AMD for the CPU? The only reason I'm not considering them is because the motherboards are so expensive right now...
From what I’ve read/heard my impression is the cost to performance value is just better with intels 13th Gen over the latest amd offerings.

Part of that is the increased cost of the new motherboards. Another is it appears the raw power of the intel 13th Gen is just a bit more for roughly the same $ point.

Unlike the console space (Sony pony) I have no brand loyalty whatsoever in the pc world just looking to make a “nice” gaming pc.

diffusionx

Gold Member
From what I’ve read/heard my impression is the cost to performance value is just better with intels 13th Gen over the latest amd offerings.

Part of that is the increased cost of the new motherboards. Another is it appears the raw power of the intel 13th Gen is just a bit more for roughly the same $ point.

Unlike the console space (Sony pony) I have no brand loyalty whatsoever in the pc world just looking to make a “nice” gaming pc.
AMD literally just dropped the prices across the board, and while they are ostensibly for BF, they will probably be permanent. It’s worth another look.

Leonidas

posted in the 7900 XTX thread but I’m tinkering with building my first pc if the 7900 XTX is as good as it appears:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xNFdY9

Any comments/criticisms/insults would be greatly appreciated as I’m pretty ignorant on all aspects of the master race
Looks good. Only thing I would change is the motherboard, that board doesn't have BIOS flashback so there's a chance you'd get an old BIOS without 13th Gen support. There are some Z690 boards under $200 with BIOS flashback.

Reactions: CLW

Saucy Papi

Yeah, that was certainly the case when they were both $300 (7600x vs 13600k). I don't know that's necessarily the case now that the AMD CPUs received a price cut although I'm not sure if they're permanent or just for Black Friday.

Reactions: CLW

GymWolf

I updated my response. I think it's because there are coolers that are still missing the mounting kit out of the box.
How can they miss the mounting if the description says lga1700 compatible?

Like where should i search to be 100% sure that the cooler can be mounted? I saw countless of people usong the same cooler for intel series 13th so what the fuck is going on?

Can be pc part picker shitting the bed and not being updated?

Saucy Papi

How can they miss the mounting if the description says lga1700 compatible?

Like where should i search to be 100% sure that the cooler can be mounted? I saw countless of people usong the same cooler for intel series 13th so what the fuck is going on?

Can be pc part picker shitting the bed and not being updated?
Yeah, it's a possibility that PC Part Picker just isn't updated for that specific cooler. With that said, I know I saw a review for someone that bought an Alder Lake CPU and a high profile cooler in late October and complained that it didn't bring an LGA 1700 mounting kit out of the box. I wouldn't necessarily bank on the cooler being included and maybe that's what the site is trying to warn you about. Worst case scenario, you can always request it from the manufacturer.

GymWolf

Yeah, it's a possibility that PC Part Picker just isn't updated for that specific cooler. With that said, I know I saw a review for someone that bought an Alder Lake CPU and a high profile cooler in late October and complained that it didn't bring an LGA 1700 mounting kit out of the box. I wouldn't necessarily bank on the cooler being included and maybe that's what the site is trying to warn you about. Worst case scenario, you can always request it from the manufacturer.
After a rapid search, it looks like other people asked this on amazon and deepcool responded that the bracket is included, problem solved.

Saucy Papi

Literally the same i want to buy for myself.

Is latency more important than frequency and all the benefits from ddr5 over ddr4?
I mean, latency will absolutely affect CPU performance since it's very job driven and latency denotes how long it takes for a job to get started. However, DDR5's faster so it doesn't take as long for those jobs to finish so it kind of washes itself out.

GymWolf

I mean, latency will absolutely affect CPU performance since it's very job driven and latency denotes how long it takes for a job to get started. However, DDR5's faster so it doesn't take as long for those jobs to finish so it kind of washes itself out.
Do you think that buying state of the art ddr4 would be a better solution for an high end build?

Last edited:

Yerd

There is any reason why pc part picker says this about the moba and cpu cooler that i want to buy?

[/URL][/URL]

They should be compatible...
It looks like it's just warning you that the bios might be incompatible out if the box. Simple update fixes that.

I usually don't look at these lists y'all be dropping in here. But, that 525gig ssd seems over priced to me. It's been a while since I was in the market for a sata drive, but they should be much cheaper than m.2 drives.

Edit;
Samsung evo 2tb same price right now amazon bf deal.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It looks like it's just warning you that the bios might be incompatible out if the box. Simple update fixes that.

I usually don't look at these lists y'all be dropping in here. But, that 525gig ssd seems over priced to me. It's been a while since I was in the market for a sata drive, but they should be much cheaper than m.2 drives.

Edit;
Samsung evo 2tb same price right now amazon bf deal.
I already knew about the firmware update, i was talking about the cooler not being compatible, but now i know that it includes the lga1700 bracket so it's not a problem anymore.

The prices are not correct, i'm buying in italy so the prices are different, and the crucial is just my current ssd that i'm not gonna throw away, the new main one for os and games is the western digital.

Last edited:

Yerd

Oh, well there you have it.

I have an original model noctua still kicking around. I just used it after getting a free bracket update.

To get it to fit my mobo I had to dremel the heatsink attached to the mobo.

GymWolf

Oh, well there you have it.

I have an original model noctua still kicking around. I just used it after getting a free bracket update.

To get it to fit my mobo I had to dremel the heatsink attached to the mobo.
My current noctua is probably good aswell if i buy a bracket, but i just wanted a clean slate and every major piece being new.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I'm curious how you will update the BIOS since the board doesn't feature BIOS flashback.
If that means that i should attach the motherboard in another pc to upgrade the bios before using it, it is a non-problem, a specialized shop is gonna build the whole thing for me and i bet they have at least a pc where to do this stuff.

I'm only buying the pieces.

If that means something else, please tell me, because i didn't bought the motherboard yet so i can still buy something else.

Last edited:

Saucy Papi

Do you think that buying state of the art ddr4 would be a better solution for an high end build?
Not necessarily. I plan on going with DDR5 for my next build and that's what I recommend as well. Even though latency's worse, overall performance is actually still better than DDR4 in most if not all cases. The biggest advantage with DDR5 is that the lowest lows are actually better which help mitigate things like micro stutter.

You also run into the problem of potential stability issues with DDR4 the higher clocked it is.

GymWolf

Not necessarily. I plan on going with DDR5 for my next build and that's what I recommend as well. Even though latency's worse, overall performance is actually still better than DDR4 in most if not all cases. The biggest advantage with DDR5 is that the lowest lows are actually better which help mitigate things like micro stutter.

You also run into the problem of potential stability issues with DDR4 the higher clocked it is.
Is the ram we both want to buy considered at least decent? I really don't wanna have a top cpu and gpu with tje ram bottlenecking something...

Leonidas Leonidas can you explain the bios thing please, is it a problem or a non-problem if i'm not the one building the pc?!

Last edited:

Saucy Papi

Is the ram we both want to buy considered at least decent? I really don't wanna have a top cpu and gpu with tje ram bottlenecking something...

Leonidas Leonidas can you explain the bios thing please, is it a problem or a non-problem if i'm not the one building the pc?!
No, the RAM itself is good. You can always pay more for higher frequencies but I don't think the price to performance ratio justifies it. The brand itself is good too. I have an AIO cooler and power supply from them and have found them to be high quality.

Hawk269

Doesn't look too bad, but do you need a 1200 power supply? And you can download Windows from Microsoft's website and buy a key. Don't pay $100 for Windows.
Thanks.

Mainly wanted the overhead with power. I tend to overclock almost all the components and just wanted the extra headroom. Is the Ram I am looking at good. I notice it is price wise a lot less that some others.

GymWolf

No, the RAM itself is good. You can always pay more for higher frequencies but I don't think the price to performance ratio justifies it. The brand itself is good too. I have an AIO cooler and power supply from them and have found them to be high quality.
Last question since you are so kind, do you have anything to say against this motherboard for the ram we both chose and a 13600k\high end gpu THAT ARE NOT GONNA BE OVERCLOCKED AT ALL.

(Excuse the screaming but that is an important detail i think)

Last edited:

Saucy Papi

Last question since you are so kind, do you have anything to say against this motherboard for the ram we both chose and a 13600k\high end gpu THAT ARE NOT GONNA BE OVERCLOCKED AT ALL.

[/URL][/URL]
No, that's a great motherboard. I personally think Asus has the best customer support out of all the vendors or at least that's been my personal experience. The motherboard has a nice VRM heatsink too which will prevent any throttling on the CPU side. Is there a specific reason you're choosing a Z690 chipset instead of Z790? That'll work just fine but it sounds like money's no object to you so I'd just go for the latest one. Of course, if you're just going to be gaming and not doing anything outside of that, then it really doesn't matter.

PhoenixTank

No, that's a great motherboard. I personally think Asus has the best customer support out of all the vendors or at least that's been my personal experience. The motherboard has a nice VRM heatsink too which will prevent any throttling on the CPU side. Is there a specific reason you're choosing a Z690 chipset instead of Z790? That'll work just fine but it sounds like money's no object to you so I'd just go for the latest one. Of course, if you're just going to be gaming and not doing anything outside of that, then it really doesn't matter.
Of note, there have been some limited reports of issues with Z690 boards and the 13 series - Seems to be just Asus?
Haven't found the HardwareLuxx source, nor checked whether it is resolved/easy to work around but GymWolf GymWolf if you're sticking with Asus, get a Z790 just to be safe yeah?

Last edited:

GymWolf

Because from what i studied, the z790 has very negligeable benefits over z690 and they cost like a fucking lung on the black market.

I asked for that motherboard because it is kinda in the low end of z690, i can buy it for 220 euros but then you have 700+ euros motherboards from asus...

I would not say that money are not a problem for me, every penny i can save (while still buying great parts) is gonna be useful to convince my balls to spend 1000+ euros on the gpu alone (consider that the pricier gpu i ever bought was like 450 euros).

GymWolf

Of note, there have been some limited reports of issues with Z690 boards and the 13 series
Haven't found the HardwareLuxx source, nor checked whether it is resolved/easy to work around but GymWolf GymWolf if you're sticking with Asus, get a Z790 just to be safe yeah?
I searched a lot on yt and most people still advise for a z690 for the 13th gen since benefits on z790 are very small, never heard of that problem tbh.

If that is true i'm royally fucked because a z790 ddr5 compatible is like more than double the price of a z690...

Steve from gamernexus used z690 motherboard for all his tests with intel 13th gen.

maybe it was just some faulty asus mobo?

Last edited:

Saucy Papi

Because from what i studied, the z790 has very negligeable benefits over z690 and they cost like a fucking lung on the black market.

I asked for that motherboard because it is kinda in the low end of z690, i can buy it for 220 euros but then you have 700+ euros motherboards from asus...

I would not say that money are not a problem for me, every penny i can save (while still buying great parts) is gonna be useful to convince my balls to spend 1000+ euros on the gpu alone (consider that the pricier gpu i ever bought was like 450 euros).
Okay. That motherboard should be fine then assuming you properly flash it for the Raptor Lake processor you're getting. I'm assuming Europe has some supply issues then because you can get this ASRock Z790 here in the states for the same price:

ASRock Z790 PRO RS Intel LGA1700 ATX Mainboard , 4 slots DDR5, PCIE 5.0 x16, Quad Hyper M.2 slots, 2.5Gb Lan, 7.1 Nahimic Audio , Front USB3.2 Gen2X2 Type_C , 14+1+1 Power Phase, 2oz Copper PCB. https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168131...m_mmc=snc-social-_-sr-_-13-162-088-_-11242022

Saucy Papi

Of note, there have been some limited reports of issues with Z690 boards and the 13 series
[/URL]
Wow, that's surprising to me. I'd never heard of any chipset issues with the 13th gen processors via backwards compatibility.

GymWolf

Okay. That motherboard should be fine then assuming you properly flash it for the Raptor Lake processor you're getting. I'm assuming Europe has some supply issues then because you can get this ASRock Z790 here in the states for the same price:

ASRock Z790 PRO RS Intel LGA1700 ATX Mainboard , 4 slots DDR5, PCIE 5.0 x16, Quad Hyper M.2 slots, 2.5Gb Lan, 7.1 Nahimic Audio , Front USB3.2 Gen2X2 Type_C , 14+1+1 Power Phase, 2oz Copper PCB. https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168131...m_mmc=snc-social-_-sr-_-13-162-088-_-11242022
I thought that asrock was not on the level of the big 3 msi\giga\asus.

I have some cheap asrock motherboard on amazon italy aswell, but they are inferior in specs compared to the asus z690 is showed to you, the only plus point is that they are z790...

Edit: spoke too fast, there is not a single asrock z790 on amazon italy :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom