• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2021. Sold Out Edition.

GreatnessRD

Not going to lie, $550 would be a tough pill for me to swallow. I definitely want to get the 5800XT (or whatever it may end up being called) as I'm really just looking to use it for gaming and only really need 8 cores at most.
Yeah, depending on the price I might be aiming for the 5800XT as well. My mind was setting myself up for the 5900XT, but as I only game as well, I'll never need all those cores. We'll see though. Got a couple months, but I'm excited to see what AMD will offer us for the AM4 send off. I don't think we'll ever see a run like AM4 ever again and its compatibility/upgradability.

Yerd

Do these robo monitor arms typically let you rotate the screen between horizontal and vertical instantly, or do you have to loosen/tighten something to do so?

$_86.JPG
I'm sure it depends on the arm. Mine allows it, though I don't use that function. From what I remember about installing it, there are screws to tighten the amount of tension on each movable joint.

Kenpachii

I currently have a 750 corsair 80+ gold PSU. I don't know if it'll be enough for the new GPUs if they're supposed to be hitting 450-500w. We'll have to wait for reviews on those new GPUs. But it was a quote from Asus somewhere on the net talking about how they're amping up their PSUs to have more 1000 PSU because of the power that's incoming. Take that for what its worth. Alder Lake is already power hungry and then those GPUs next year supposed to be power hungry as well? Don't know if 750 gonna do it, but we gotta wait and see lol

I think Zen3D gonna launch a little over the original MSRP of Zen3 because of the V-cache and rumored 6nm node. So something like 5950x $850 > 5900x $600 > 5800x $500 > 5600x $350 That's what I'm thinking it looks like. Or AT WORST the standard price $800, 550, 450, etc. We definitely won't see a discount as you alluded to until at least Zen4 announcement I don't think. But I've been waiting to upgrade this 3700x, so I'm ready to pull the trigger on launch Zen3D.

It will be competitive with intel, there is no way they going to bump the price yet again.

Kenpachii

NEVER cheat on PSU specs. It costs hardly anything compared to your other components and it will absolutely mess your day up if you cheap out. Please believe me.

So dam right, always buy a really good quality PSU with overhead, there is nothing more annoying that having a bricked PSU in your system that's unstable.

Graciaus

Managed to get a 3070 last Friday in one of the Best Buy online restocks. Of the four cards I've been going for it was the one I wanted the least. But it's a massive upgrade over my very old 7970. Once I finally pick up the GPU I'll build a new computer since I still can't really believe it until it's in my hand.

GreatnessRD

It will be competitive with intel, there is no way they going to bump the price yet again.
I guess you're right, but I figured if they do bump it up, its because they reclaimed the gaming crown. But I also said at worst it'll be the original MSRP of Zen 3. No way it'll be lower than that, though. I'm just here for the competition as we, the consumer wins.

GymWolf

NEVER cheat on PSU specs. It costs hardly anything compared to your other components and it will absolutely mess your day up if you cheap out. Please believe me.
I'm not gonna cheap out on the psu, don't worry.

But i'm not gonna buy a 850w (or higher) just because i want that big master race energy in my pants, money don't grow on trees here in sicily, i want to be sure that 850w are REALLY requested by the system.

Last edited:
Yeah, depending on the price I might be aiming for the 5800XT as well. My mind was setting myself up for the 5900XT, but as I only game as well, I'll never need all those cores. We'll see though. Got a couple months, but I'm excited to see what AMD will offer us for the AM4 send off. I don't think we'll ever see a run like AM4 ever again and its compatibility/upgradability.
I would get the 8 core v cache option if windows would never ask for resources while gaming but i'd want at least the 12 core option so if a game is using 8+ cores, I have room for windows background tasks. Just to avoid any stutter. For me, 5900xt or 5950xt. I won't be upgrading that mobo for a long time so I want legroom.

The alder lake solution is very clever for this reason ; no wasted silicon on more than 8 big cores which is plenty for games, but small cores for those background tasks. I predict when the software catches up, and we get 7nm intel chips I think intel will have the better games cpu period (vs am5) and amd will have productivity. But we'll see.

GreatnessRD

I would get the 8 core v cache option if windows would never ask for resources while gaming but i'd want at least the 12 core option so if a game is using 8+ cores, I have room for windows background tasks. Just to avoid any stutter. For me, 5900xt or 5950xt. I won't be upgrading that mobo for a long time so I want legroom.

The alder lake solution is very clever for this reason ; no wasted silicon on more than 8 big cores which is plenty for games, but small cores for those background tasks. I predict when the software catches up, and we get 7nm intel chips I think intel will have the better games cpu period (vs am5) and amd will have productivity. But we'll see.
I do think a V-cache 5900x paired with my 6800 XT would be a fun time, lol. As I said, we'll see. Just happy to see Intel bringing the fight back to AMD. From her until '25 should be a fun time for tech. Prices....? Remains to be seen though, lmao.

b0bbyJ03

Did anyone get any of the new intel 12th gen chips installed yet? If so, did you use a cooler without mounting hardware specific for this gen? I bought a new corsair H100i but the adapters for the new chips are on backorder. Wondering if I should wait, or just set it up with the current parts (they'll work, but not the exact fit needed).

MiguelItUp

I was really hoping to update my PC for my birthday next March. But at this point, I may just build a whole new PC from some place online. Getting components is such a headache right now. So, at least going that route will feel a bit easier all the way through. Definitely thinking about going the new intel chip route.

Rickyiez

Wait for the Zen 3 refresh since it's just around the corner. Besides, I doubt it's holding it back unless you're trying to hit really high frame rates.

Really? I've had a really good experience with my 3700x and 6700xt so far. GPU drivers are definitely worse versus Nvidia but they usually get resolved pretty quickly.
Yes I'm trying to hit 100+ FPS most of the time because of my 144hz monitor at 3440x1440 . Forza 5 for example is only around 80-90 maxed out , I'm sure I can get 100+ easily with a better CPU

Last edited:

rofif

Banned

As I said on another forum, I don't know why I am excited about this, but I am. Your move, Noctua. 😆

oh nice !
I have phanteks halo ring on my back exhaust be quiet silent wings 3. The led's brokemonths ago and are off color.
I don't think Be Quiet! fans are super worth it though. I have all be Quiet! fans in my case. Front fans sometimes won't start and they get a bit loud over 800-900rpm.
But I like the looks and overall, below 800rpm super quiet

raduque

I managed to get my hands on an msi rtx 2080 seahawk to replace my rx580. Think ill be able to run it on a 600w psu with the rest of the system:

Ryzen 5 3600
32gb ddr4 3000mhz
Msi b350m (powering 2 aios and 6 fans)
1x ssd
1x 3tb 7200rpm drive

Irobot82

Do we have a random PC/IT question help thread?

Edit: Cancel that. I accidentally fixed my issue.

Last edited:

GloveSlap

Are fake GPU scams a thing? I saw a new 3080fe on craigslist locally for $970. I would pay that in a second, but i'm concerned its a scam. Do the boxes even have a seal on them? I've never seen a 3080 so i wouldn't know what a legit one looks like or if fake ones are even a thing.

GreatnessRD

Are fake GPU scams a thing? I saw a new 3080fe on craigslist locally for $970. I would pay that in a second, but i'm concerned its a scam. Do the boxes even have a seal on them? I've never seen a 3080 so i wouldn't know what a legit one looks like or if fake ones are even a thing.
For sure scams are out there. You might have found a angel since its seal, but I'm still skeptical. Especially since that card is going for 2K.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I would open it while still there and also ask why they're selling

Leonidas

I managed to get my hands on an msi rtx 2080 seahawk to replace my rx580. Think ill be able to run it on a 600w psu with the rest of the system:

Ryzen 5 3600
32gb ddr4 3000mhz
Msi b350m (powering 2 aios and 6 fans)
1x ssd
1x 3tb 7200rpm drive
Yeah, should be fine. Congrats on the GPU upgrade.

GreatnessRD

For those of you that in the "Keeb" world, why doesn't that community look like they love full keyboards? It's like everyone who has a custom one normally have like a 40-60% keyboard. I can't take it, lol.

I am lowkey looking for a custom full keyboard but find myself being overwhelmed by the group buys, the stabs and manual lubing keys. Shit looks just like, a lot. But I think I'll treat myself in December, so I'll continue to do more research.

vpance

Anyone have their PC connected to an AVR for Atmos and surround? Been struggling with handshake issues on sleep or restarts causing loss of sound or surround options.

Apparently it's a known issue with Windows and receivers. Some people resort to using an HDMI EDID adapter in between the PC -> AVR to solve this.

amigastar

Damn, i really wanted a RTX3060Ti but i'm stuck with my RTX 2060 OC for now. Lets hope the situation will get better with the RTX 4000 Series.

GreatnessRD

Damn, i really wanted a RTX3060Ti but i'm stuck with my RTX 2060 OC for now. Lets hope the situation will get better with the RTX 4000 Series.
You might as well wait for the 4000 series unless some super slick deal comes along for the 3060 Ti. Get that 4060 Ti with 12GB that's coming, lol

manfestival

Looking at all of this makes me want to go back to getting a new case... black friday is around the corner. new RAM and case should set me up for a while

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Anyone have their PC connected to an AVR for Atmos and surround? Been struggling with handshake issues on sleep or restarts causing loss of sound or surround options.

Apparently it's a known issue with Windows and receivers. Some people resort to using an HDMI EDID adapter in between the PC -> AVR to solve this.

I used to. I also had these sorts of issues. Usually I would just always power down the PC and restart cold in the following order. First TV, then AV receiver, then PC.

Ended up changing the PC out for a NVIDIA Shield Pro eventually for my main AV box.

A.Romero

I used to see this issue a lot but got much better with Windows updates. Didn't have to do anything in particular to fix.

Back then what I would do is go over the config that was available in Windows 7 and select Atmos from the list and it would re-do the handshake. I think Windows 10 would show the options by right clicking on the speaker icon in the task bar, clicking on open sound settings, selecting the receiver and clicking on device properties. There might be a way to automate that with powershell.

vpance

I used to see this issue a lot but got much better with Windows updates. Didn't have to do anything in particular to fix.

Back then what I would do is go over the config that was available in Windows 7 and select Atmos from the list and it would re-do the handshake. I think Windows 10 would show the options by right clicking on the speaker icon in the task bar, clicking on open sound settings, selecting the receiver and clicking on device properties. There might be a way to automate that with powershell.

I guess it doesn't help matters when I'm on LTSC 1809 version of Windows. Probably some unfixable issue with it here. After installing the Dolby app, it'll work until the signal is lost either by restarting, going into stand by or switching to another input on the receiver. Only a system restore to a working point enables it again. Tried all sorts of ways to refresh the handshake but no go.

Going to give up diagnosing this for now since I can actually still play Atmos encoded videos in MPC which is most of what I wanted to accomplish. Just have to set my sound configuration to 5.1 instead in order to keep sound working in other apps and web browsers.

A.Romero

I guess it doesn't help matters when I'm on LTSC 1809 version of Windows. Probably some unfixable issue with it here. After installing the Dolby app, it'll work until the signal is lost either by restarting, going into stand by or switching to another input on the receiver. Only a system restore to a working point enables it again. Tried all sorts of ways to refresh the handshake but no go.

Going to give up diagnosing this for now since I can actually still play Atmos encoded videos in MPC which is most of what I wanted to accomplish. Just have to set my sound configuration to 5.1 instead in order to keep sound working in other apps and web browsers.

I see. That's probably it. Can't remember exactly when they changed it but I think it was with the first major Windows 10 service pack (2019, maybe?).

However, what you describe sounds different, most hand shake issues get resolved by doing a second hand shake.

Just out of curiosity, why do you need to stay at 1809? isn't that unsupported now?

vpance

I see. That's probably it. Can't remember exactly when they changed it but I think it was with the first major Windows 10 service pack (2019, maybe?).

However, what you describe sounds different, most hand shake issues get resolved by doing a second hand shake.

Just out of curiosity, why do you need to stay at 1809? isn't that unsupported now?

This LTSC build is still supported for another 7 years with major security updates and such.

I thought about installing 11 yesterday but reconsidered. Not worth the hassle yet. I'll probably switch when those exclusive Win 11 DirectX features start getting used in games.

Erebus

What's the situation with air coolers for the new Intel socket 1700? Do I have to look specifically for 1700 compatibility?

GreatnessRD

What's the situation with air coolers for the new Intel socket 1700? Do I have to look specifically for 1700 compatibility?
Most companies are sending out brackets to current cooler owners with proof of purchase, or pay a small fee. (I think like $5-10) But if you're talking new air coolers made specifically for the 1700 socket, I think I only saw AIO's personally on Newegg.

raduque

Yeah, should be fine. Congrats on the GPU upgrade.
Thanks man. I'm pretty anxious to get it, gonna be a hell of an upgrade. It's still sitting at my dad's house about 8 hours away because I don't trust my apartment complex. Or any apartment complex, tbh. I won't be able to get it till Christmas, cause I can't take the time off to go get it.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm about to get a 5600x this weekend due to being too short of CPU for my work and games, currently using a 2200g... Do you know if memory speed is gonna be an issue later this gen if I decide to remain on DDR4 for the next 4 years at least? Do you think this CPU will last me too at least that time?

Curiously enough, I'll pair it with a 1060 3gb cause that's what I could find at my budget, before that I only had the Vega on the Ryzen lol

I'm about to get a 5600x this weekend due to being too short of CPU for my work and games, currently using a 2200g... Do you know if memory speed is gonna be an issue later this gen if I decide to remain on DDR4 for the next 4 years at least? Do you think this CPU will last me too at least that time?

Curiously enough, I'll pair it with a 1060 3gb cause that's what I could find at my budget, before that I only had the Vega on the Ryzen lol
5600x is good, should get you through 4 years anyway. Might start to stutter a bit when games demand 8 cores but it'll be fine for a while. Ddr4 will be fine, as was ddr3 for the ps4 gen. 5600x from 2200g is a massive upgrade.

1060 3gb on the other hand is huge bottleneck but i'm sure you know that

Kataploom

Gold Member
5600x is good, should get you through 4 years anyway. Might start to stutter a bit when games demand 8 cores but it'll be fine for a while. Ddr4 will be fine, as was ddr3 for the ps4 gen. 5600x from 2200g is a massive upgrade.

1060 3gb on the other hand is huge bottleneck but i'm sure you know that
Yes, I don't know how I will be able to change it, but I'll try... I think I'll just have lower framerates and not stutter anyway, which is what I hate of my current CPU, I guess an nvme for the games is gonna help with it even more?

Last edited:
Yes, I don't know how I will be able to change it, but I'll try... I think I'll just have lower framerates and not stutter anyway, which is what I hate of my current CPU, I guess an nvme for the games is gonna help with it even more?
Change gpu before getting an nvme. Biggest issue with that card is the 3gb of memory, you'll have to turn textures way down, if even that works because i've seen newer games where that card still chokes.

Consider a cheap sata ssd if you only have an HDD currently. If you already have a sata ssd, don't worry for now and try to upgrade gpu. Try signing up for evga waiting list.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Change gpu before getting an nvme. Biggest issue with that card is the 3gb of memory, you'll have to turn textures way down, if even that works because i've seen newer games where that card still chokes.

Consider a cheap sata ssd if you only have an HDD currently. If you already have a sata ssd, don't worry for now and try to upgrade gpu. Try signing up for evga waiting list.
Unfortunately I'm not from USA and on top of current pricing situation I'll have my country resellers overprice, the 3060 (not the Ti version) was around $1000 when I saw one like 6 months ago, but I'll see what I can do about it

Last edited:
Top Bottom