• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2021. Sold Out Edition.

Celcius

°Temp. member
ayyy the chair is here.
It actually seems good and quality. The seat is hard but maybe in a good way. Lumbar support works too. it's huge !
Now the wait for gamer nexus to call me an idiot begins :D

voSnMlQ.jpg

Upgrade from markus. had it for 6 years. The difference is staggering. Will require some getting used to haha. That said Markus was excellent and is probably better for some people. I've used it so long and without armrests too so it's weird now
BLWelIG.jpg
Is that a kitchen in the closet?

GreatnessRD

Grateful for Alder Lake. Already got AMD bringing down their prices. So if you're in the running for an AM4 CPU, Microcenter has the mid-year slick deals again.

• 5600x $279
  • 5800x $299
  • 5900x $499
Would've love to see the 5600x at $259 again, but a deal is a deal I guess. Each and every day AMD test my gangsta as I be so close to buying the 5800x at $299. But I'm gonna wait for those 3D V-cache chip because I have that Spartan Reserve, dammit!

Celcius

°Temp. member
i'm tempted to get a 12900K. i want to jump onto DDR5/PCIE 5.0.
Same. My 10700k does just fine for 4K gaming though. I’ll probably just jump on whatever is next gen and then hopefully there’s even faster ddr5 along with pci-e 5.0 ssd’s by then.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Here's hoping Zen3 V Cache comes to X470 like Zen3 did. I'd probably upgrade my X470 rig if so; if pricing is competitive with Alder Lake...

Last edited:
Grateful for Alder Lake. Already got AMD bringing down their prices. So if you're in the running for an AM4 CPU, Microcenter has the mid-year slick deals again.

• 5600x $279
  • 5800x $299
  • 5900x $499
Would've love to see the 5600x at $259 again, but a deal is a deal I guess. Each and every day AMD test my gangsta as I be so close to buying the 5800x at $299. But I'm gonna wait for those 3D V-cache chip because I have that Spartan Reserve, dammit!
300 for 5800x isn’t bad but nowhere close to zen+ discounts.

I got a 1600af for 85 dollars and my buddy got a 2700x for 169. Both were crazy deals.

I’m also waiting for a similar crazy discount or the v cache chips, probably v cache 5950x as I won’t have to change mobos for a decade lol.

GreatnessRD

300 for 5800x isn’t bad but nowhere close to zen+ discounts.

I got a 1600af for 85 dollars and my buddy got a 2700x for 169. Both were crazy deals.

I’m also waiting for a similar crazy discount or the v cache chips, probably v cache 5950x as I won’t have to change mobos for a decade lol.
You won't see those Zen+ discount anytime soon because of the current PC climate, lol. I don't think we'll ever see slick deals as the 1600af for $85 ever again either. The 5900x is completely overkill for me since I only game and web browse on my PC, BUT I think the V-cache version is still what I'm aiming for. I want the MSI X570s Carbon motherboard even though I don't need it since AM4 is about to officially die, but I like how it looks. Might sell my current motherboard to recoup the cost if I do decide to grab the MSI Carbon when I get the V-cache Zen3+ chip when they release next year, haha.

Yerd

I swear by steelcase chairs. I worked in an office that used them and bought one for myself. It lasted around 15 years before the fabric started to wear away. All functions are still working. Armrests are a little chewed up from the years. If I could get new fabric I think it will still be a serviceable chair.

I bought myself a new one in 2019. Same model, the Leap. They cost about $900 new on the bare bones version. I waited for them to have a sale and bought it direct from steelcase. There seem to be some knockoff or refurbs out there. I didn't want to get screwed on it. My original one I bought off ebay and it turned out it came off a truckload that was stolen. I got it for half price and considered myself lucky. Other than the ugly fabric it had on it. Was contacted by a detective working on the case and was able to keep the chair. The fabric was unique to the company that made the order.

You won't see those Zen+ discount anytime soon because of the current PC climate, lol. I don't think we'll ever see slick deals as the 1600af for $85 ever again either. The 5900x is completely overkill for me since I only game and web browse on my PC, BUT I think the V-cache version is still what I'm aiming for. I want the MSI X570s Carbon motherboard even though I don't need it since AM4 is about to officially die, but I like how it looks. Might sell my current motherboard to recoup the cost if I do decide to grab the MSI Carbon when I get the V-cache Zen3+ chip when they release next year, haha.
Yeah you’re probably right but maybe 5800x for 200…? Maybe if intel brings the pain lol.

Mainly want the v cache model 16 core (and not at full price) because the best cpu for the socket always holds its value nicely. Picked up an x570 tuf gaming board with my 1600af just so I would not have to swap mobos again. That little 1600af has been a champ though.

Imo if you’re wanting to upgrade your mobo you might just want to wait for zen 4 / raptor lake, unless you don’t already have an x570 board but b450 or something.

GreatnessRD

Yeah you’re probably right but maybe 5800x for 200…? Maybe if intel brings the pain lol.

Mainly want the v cache model 16 core (and not at full price) because the best cpu for the socket always holds its value nicely. Picked up an x570 tuf gaming board with my 1600af just so I would not have to swap mobos again. That little 1600af has been a champ though.

Imo if you’re wanting to upgrade your mobo you might just want to wait for zen 4 / raptor lake, unless you don’t already have an x570 board but b450 or something.
Intel definitely would have to bring AMD to their knees for the consumers to get a $200 5800x, lol. Those V-Cache chips are definitely gonna be higher than regular Zen3 chips. I think they'll use the V-cache angle as a reason for the slight price bump. I firmly believe the 5900x 3D cache version will be $600 or at worst regular $550. You';; have to wait a few months before those get a discount for sure.

And I built this PC in Dec of '20. I currently have a MSI B550 Gaming Plus. I don't need an upgrade (especially on a dead platform) But I know I plan to use this current build for at least another 4 or 5 years with my 6800 XT. And I just like the way the new X570s Carbon board looks. Maybe my head will level and I'll just continue to rock out with what I have and just change the CPU when they release. I have a bad habit of burning unnecessary money sometime, lol. :(

Rickyiez

Itching to upgrade my 3700x , feels like it's holding my 3080Ti back . Still considering 5600x/5800x for cheap or a new platform of DDR5 with Zen4/Alderlake

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Itching to upgrade my 3700x , feels like it's holding my 3080Ti back . Still considering 5600x/5800x for cheap or a new platform of DDR5 with Zen4/Alderlake
3700x here too. I game at 4k so I don't think it holds my 3080 back.
If I were to upgrade, it would be intel just because I am tired of amd bugs

b0bbyJ03

My 12600k and Z690 board came in. Got a Corsair AIO as well. Did anyone set theirs up yet? Just wondering about how you’re cooling it. I saw Corsair has a kit for 12th gen so that the AIO is mounted properly. Did anyone get those? Heard it doesn’t make enough contact without it. I ordered but says 2 weeks before I get the parts. Wondering if I should just set up what I have not and then add the new screws when they come in.

GreatnessRD

I'm almost offended that you thought i was talking about integrated gpu in a topic like this...

The plan is to buy a 4000 series when they are out, i have the surgeon and a client ready to get my liver and a couple of fingers.
Sorry, dad!

Hope you got a PSU ready for the 4000 series. According to current rumors, those things (along with RDNA3) are supposed to be house heaters. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

GymWolf

Sorry, dad!

Hope you got a PSU ready for the 4000 series. According to current rumors, those things (along with RDNA3) are supposed to be house heaters. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
No i still have my trusted xfx 550W from like 6-7 years ago, i need a complete overhaul of my pc, only the case is gonna survive (and the slower hard disks that i'm gonna keep to save stuff).

I'm probably gonna search for a good 750w during the next black friday.

Is 750w enough for me since i don't really overclock jack shit on my pc?!

Last edited:

Saucy Papi

• 5600x $279
  • 5800x $299
  • 5900x $499
I'm hoping the Zen 3 refreshes launch at a really good price. We may have to wait until Zen 4 for those to be around the $300 mark.

Saucy Papi

No i still have my trusted xfx 550W from like 6-7 years ago, i need a complete overhaul of my pc, only the case is gonna survive (and the slower hard disks that i'm gonna keep to save stuff).

Not if you're going for a Lovelace or RDNA 3 flagship GPU according to the leaks (which most people aren't).

Saucy Papi

Wait for the Zen 3 refresh since it's just around the corner. Besides, I doubt it's holding it back unless you're trying to hit really high frame rates.
3700x here too. I game at 4k so I don't think it holds my 3080 back.
If I were to upgrade, it would be intel just because I am tired of amd bugs
Really? I've had a really good experience with my 3700x and 6700xt so far. GPU drivers are definitely worse versus Nvidia but they usually get resolved pretty quickly.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Wait for the Zen 3 refresh since it's just around the corner. Besides, I doubt it's holding it back unless you're trying to hit really high frame rates.

Really? I've had a really good experience with my 3700x and 6700xt so far. GPU drivers are definitely worse versus Nvidia but they usually get resolved pretty quickly.
I go x570/3700 on launch. A lot of problems are fixed now but I've had to exchange motherboard, then long boot times, then razer keyboard incompatibility, vr hp g2 incompatibility and few other issues.
nothing really major but a pain in the ass. Now mouse stutters on win11 and I expect it to be ryzen releated too :p

GymWolf

Not if you're going for a Lovelace or RDNA 3 flagship GPU according to the leaks (which most people aren't).
I'm probably gonna go with a 4070 or 4080 if the price is around 600-800 euros...

Aren't PSU requisites usually super overblown?! especially if i don't overclock nothing?!

Last edited:

Saucy Papi

I go x570/3700 on launch. A lot of problems are fixed now but I've had to exchange motherboard, then long boot times, then razer keyboard incompatibility, vr hp g2 incompatibility and few other issues.
nothing really major but a pain in the ass. Now mouse stutters on win11 and I expect it to be ryzen releated too :p
Really??? That sucks. I haven't upgraded to Windows 11 yet because of all the potential bugs. My chipset is the B550 which is actually worse than yours but I haven't had any of those problems. Pretty smooth sailing so far me. The only major issue I've had was with a driver timeout in Horizon Zero Dawn but that's been resolved.

Saucy Papi

I'm probably gonna go with a 4070 or 4080 it its like 800 euros...

Aren't PSU requisites usually super overblown?! especially if i don't overclock nothing?!
The new cards are supposedly going to come with a new 12 pin connector since they're so power hungry and it'll apparently provide at least 500w to the card. That's crazy... Requirements usually are but not by much. I saw one website that was recommending 1000w power supplies for the new flagship GPUs just to be on the safe side. I can't believe we're already there.

I have a 750w power supply so I hope I can at least use a mid range card.

GymWolf

The new cards are supposedly going to come with a new 12 pin connector since they're so power hungry and it'll apparently provide at least 500w to the card. That's crazy... Requirements usually are but not by much. I saw one website that was recommending 1000w power supplies for the new flagship GPUs just to be on the safe side. I can't believe we're already there.

I have a 750w power supply so I hope I can at least use a mid range card.
Lol i'm not even sure if my current 550w bronze is enough for my current 2070 super...i always heard opposite opinions about this...

DeaDPo0L84

I got everything setup last night, didn't have much time to play a lot but did boot up Destiny 2, Farcry 6, and CP2077.

Destiny 2 saw a huge increase, CP2077 was still trash (60fps lmao), and Farcry 6 was meh (75-80fps dafuq), I'm honestly confused. But it was late so I'm gonna mess with it more tonight and hope a fresh restart will be the trick.

I912900k/rtx3090/ddr5/windows 10

Saucy Papi

I got everything setup last night, didn't have much time to play a lot but did boot up Destiny 2, Farcry 6, and CP2077.

Destiny 2 saw a huge increase, CP2077 was still trash (60fps lmao), and Farcry 6 was meh (75-80fps dafuq), I'm honestly confused. But it was late so I'm gonna mess with it more tonight and hope a fresh restart will be the trick.

I912900k/rtx3090/ddr5/windows 10
Far Cry 6 has an issue where it's not properly multi threading to the point that DSOgaming published an article in regards to it. You can also see it on some YouTube videos where GPU utilization stays in the upper 80s/lower 90s percentile.

GreatnessRD

I currently have a 750 corsair 80+ gold PSU. I don't know if it'll be enough for the new GPUs if they're supposed to be hitting 450-500w. We'll have to wait for reviews on those new GPUs. But it was a quote from Asus somewhere on the net talking about how they're amping up their PSUs to have more 1000 PSU because of the power that's incoming. Take that for what its worth. Alder Lake is already power hungry and then those GPUs next year supposed to be power hungry as well? Don't know if 750 gonna do it, but we gotta wait and see lol
I'm hoping the Zen 3 refreshes launch at a really good price. We may have to wait until Zen 4 for those to be around the $300 mark.
I think Zen3D gonna launch a little over the original MSRP of Zen3 because of the V-cache and rumored 6nm node. So something like 5950x $850 > 5900x $600 > 5800x $500 > 5600x $350 That's what I'm thinking it looks like. Or AT WORST the standard price $800, 550, 450, etc. We definitely won't see a discount as you alluded to until at least Zen4 announcement I don't think. But I've been waiting to upgrade this 3700x, so I'm ready to pull the trigger on launch Zen3D.

Saucy Papi

I currently have a 750 corsair 80+ gold PSU. I don't know if it'll be enough for the new GPUs if they're supposed to be hitting 450-500w. We'll have to wait for reviews on those new GPUs. But it was a quote from Asus somewhere on the net talking about how they're amping up their PSUs to have more 1000 PSU because of the power that's incoming. Take that for what its worth. Alder Lake is already power hungry and then those GPUs next year supposed to be power hungry as well? Don't know if 750 gonna do it, but we gotta wait and see lol

I think Zen3D gonna launch a little over the original MSRP of Zen3 because of the V-cache and rumored 6nm node. So something like 5950x $850 > 5900x $600 > 5800x $500 > 5600x $350 That's what I'm thinking it looks like. Or AT WORST the standard price $800, 550, 450, etc. We definitely won't see a discount as you alluded to until at least Zen4 announcement I don't think. But I've been waiting to upgrade this 3700x, so I'm ready to pull the trigger on launch Zen3D.
Not going to lie, $550 would be a tough pill for me to swallow. I definitely want to get the 5800XT (or whatever it may end up being called) as I'm really just looking to use it for gaming and only really need 8 cores at most.

Saucy Papi

Lol i'm not even sure if my current 550w bronze is enough for my current 2070 super...i always heard opposite opinions about this...
One thing I just thought about was the fact that you can go on PC Part Picker and see how much your build pulls in terms of watts. Just be aware that won't include spikes although those are transient anyway.

Chiggs

That was fixed in a previous Bios, or at least it should have been.

Honey Bunny

Do these robo monitor arms typically let you rotate the screen between horizontal and vertical instantly, or do you have to loosen/tighten something to do so?

$_86.JPG

Top Bottom