• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2021. Sold Out Edition.

twilo99

How about this monitor?

I might get a new job which requires me a new monitor, id like to work on it and game on it at night. This or something else?

That's a VA panel with 4ms response time..

I personally wouldn't go for it. IPS tends to be more accurate from what I've read so if you care about that maybe looks for an IPS panel. I also like having the response time as low as possible.

Malakhov

Banned
That's a VA panel with 4ms response time..

I personally wouldn't go for it. IPS tends to be more accurate from what I've read so if you care about that maybe looks for an IPS panel. I also like having the response time as low as possible.
tomshardware has it as its top 2 monitors yet I dont see it anywhere else, very weird. Loved the 32 inch size for the price, tough. If i go ips, it looks like a 27 incher...

And this one then?

Last edited:

twilo99

That LG is very nice..

But yeah, if you want 32inch maybe go for that Dell.. its not bad, the things I picked to complain about are rather specific and probably won't make that much of a difference unless you are playing FPS games rather competitively.

The color accuracy stands tho, the IPS will always be better there.

Malakhov

Banned
That LG is very nice..

But yeah, if you want 32inch maybe go for that Dell.. its not bad, the things I picked to complain about are rather specific and probably won't make that much of a difference unless you are playing FPS games rather competitively.

The color accuracy stands tho, the IPS will always be better there.
No fps here, just open world and rpgs most of the time. Always thought VA had better contrast and blacks while ips better viewing angles and that was it.

Tough choice, tough choice.

Kenpachii

tomshardware has it as its top 2 monitors yet I dont see it anywhere else, very weird. Loved the 32 inch size for the price, tough. If i go ips, it looks like a 27 incher...

And this one then?

check this website they test those screens big time

grkazan12

So I'm close to building a rig with a 5900x, 3080ti, and 32GB of ram. Since we're getting closer to 2022, is now a good time to build something with these specific components? I know playing the waiting game can be foolish, but I can holdout a few more months just to be sure. Is it worth it to wait for any upgrades in the GPU or CPU markets?

Currently on a rig I built back in 2011 (i5 2500k, 980ti, and 8GB ram).

Leonidas

So I'm close to building a rig with a 5900x, 3080ti, and 32GB of ram. Since we're getting closer to 2022, is now a good time to build something with these specific components? I know playing the waiting game can be foolish, but I can holdout a few more months just to be sure. Is it worth it to wait for any upgrades in the GPU or CPU markets?

Might as well wait. Alder Lake launches next week which could prompt price drops of Zen3. Zen3D VCache is coming early next year, which should bring Zen3 price drops.

It's going to be a challenge to get a 3080 Ti at a reasonable price any time soon...

Rival

Gold Member

That’s what I just built and it’s amazing. Helps I got my 3080ti at msrp from best but.

Grechy34

Amazing to think your current rig would probably still do okay in today's gaming. 10 years on.

Last edited:

Ay thats a decent little fucker for sure.

Question is will a 3080Ti be enough for next gen exclusive games. I'm not talking about Forza Horizon 5 or Horizon Forbidden West.
I'm talking about the shit coming after that that's not hamstrung by an ageing PS4 or Xbox One.

grkazan12

Thanks so much for your responses Leonida, Rival, Grechy, and Hawking. I agree with a lot of your assessments as well, considering that the XSX and PS5 are on their infancy and the fact new CPUs (Alder Lake/Next AMDs) and GPUs (4000 series) are right around the corner then I will definitely wait. Thanks the 2011 rig still definitely packs a little punch, I built it back then with a Nvidia 570 and then upgraded to a 980ti around 2016. I feel that card bought it at least a few more years of gaming. Obviously can't do a 4k or max settings, but if you tinker around you can definitely get something playable. It really attests to the longevity of PCs, they keep chugging along and are reliable as well.

GreatnessRD

Question is will a 3080Ti be enough for next gen exclusive games. I'm not talking about Forza Horizon 5 or Horizon Forbidden West.
I'm talking about the shit coming after that that's not hamstrung by an ageing PS4 or Xbox One.
It'll be more than a enough for anything a PS5 or Xbox Series X can throw out, I assure you. Congrats on the build as well, G grkazan12

Can't wait for those 3D V-cache chips. My 3700x is a workhorse, but its time for an upgrade to pair with my 6800 XT.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
CHAIR QUESTION !
I am still using Ikea Markus here for 6 years. It's ok. Actually best I ever had (but also I never had anything more expensive).
But years ago I removed armrests because they were too low and too hard. And were pinching my thighs.

I spend a lot of time in my chair, so why not get something better?
-I want something that is fabric. Leather is too hot
-I am 188cm tall, 130kg fat man. So might be a stretch for some chairs
-Easy on the colors. The chair is in the living room.

This one catched my eye. Expensive but they have very good soft armrests, nice looking fabric and 4d armrests movement

This is my setup now. As You can see I am missing a proper chair with proper armrests. It's finished otherwise I think. Might go back to razer huntsman mini optical keyboard.
The new niz x87 is amazing but I think I preferred the form factor and linear style of huntsman mini. I have it somewhere...

tZVUb5X.jpg

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
CHAIR QUESTION !
I am still using Ikea Markus here for 6 years. It's ok. Actually best I ever had (but also I never had anything more expensive).
But years ago I removed armrests because they were too low and too hard. And were pinching my thighs.

I spend a lot of time in my chair, so why not get something better?
-I want something that is fabric. Leather is too hot
-I am 188cm tall, 130kg fat man. So might be a stretch for some chairs
-Easy on the colors. The chair is in the living room.

This one catched my eye. Expensive but they have very good soft armrests, nice looking fabric and 4d armrests movement

This is my setup now. As You can see I am missing a proper chair with proper armrests. It's finished otherwise I think. Might go back to razer huntsman mini optical keyboard.
The new niz x87 is amazing but I think I preferred the form factor and linear style of huntsman mini. I have it somewhere...

tZVUb5X.jpg
First of all. Nice setup. Secondly, I can't speak from experience but the Secretlab Titan chairs seem to be highly recommended. They come in different size options as well. They are cheaper than that razer too.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
First of all. Nice setup. Secondly, I can't speak from experience but the Secretlab Titan chairs seem to be highly recommended. They come in different size options as well. They are cheaper than that razer too.
Never heard of it. Thank You !
Is this some chinese brand or respectable chair company?
Razer is the brand I trust (I know lol but still)
I am taking a look at their offer right now

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Never heard of it. Thank You !
Is this some chinese brand or respectable chair company?
Razer is the brand I trust (I know lol but still)
I am taking a look at their offer right now
They seem to be highly respected. They are based out of Tennesee I think. In my research, they came up at the top. They look pretty good too I think. I'd go for one of the soft weave fabric options.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
They seem to be highly respected. They are based out of Tennesee I think. In my research, they came up at the top. They look pretty good too I think. I'd go for one of the soft weave fabric options.
yea you are onto something.
100 euro cheaper than razer.
Also have 4d armrests, soft weave fabric, everything. Even xl size up to 180kg lol nice

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Anyone else have something to add to what OmegaSupreme OmegaSupreme said ?
So I made some further research and seems that new Secretlab titan evo 2022 is ok aside from some creaking reported by few people... so who knows.
Anyone got one before I pull the trigger? the only other fabric ergonomic chair in similar money is razer iskur xl fabric.
edit: I know people will say "gamernexus said to get herman miller". Gamer Nexus is a cynic and his video was made with much worse gaming chairs.
Besides, herman miller is at least 2x more expensive and I don't want my living room to look like an office :p

I will gladly take an advice what fabric color secretlab will fit in my living room(above) in place of markus :D Black? cookie?

Last edited:

AzullAbaddon

Neo Member
yea you are onto something.
100 euro cheaper than razer.
Also have 4d armrests, soft weave fabric, everything. Even xl size up to 180kg lol nice
I am a hair shorter and a hair smaller then you and have a secret labs chair since early summer. Really like it. Very big and wide.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Anyone else have something to add to what OmegaSupreme OmegaSupreme said ?
So I made some further research and seems that new Secretlab titan evo 2022 is ok aside from some creaking reported by few people... so who knows.
Anyone got one before I pull the trigger? the only other fabric ergonomic chair in similar money is razer iskur xl fabric.
edit: I know people will say "gamernexus said to get herman miller". Gamer Nexus is a cynic and his video was made with much worse gaming chairs.
Besides, herman miller is at least 2x more expensive and I don't want my living room to look like an office :p

I will gladly take an advice what fabric color secretlab will fit in my living room(above) in place of markus :D Black? cookie?
They are kind of pricey but this is my main chair as I am also tall at 6'8" and this is the best chair I have ever used and that includes getting a 30 day trial to use the Herman Miller Aeron which many Herman Miller dealers will give you, a 30 day trial

https://www.conceptseating.com/product/247-chairs/3142r1-high-back/

Malakhov

Banned
The 6800xt is a beast but I bought a new 1440p monitor and I'm getting really bad coil whine in 1440p. I get crazy fps (130+ ultra guardians of the Galaxy) but this produces coil whine, never had that before besides d2r which I limited framerates to have it stop.

Undervolting it maybe? It's annoying as hell

Last edited:

MacReady13

I have been going backwards and forwards on this for a few months now but the time is coming where I NEED to either build a new PC or get a gaming laptop. Any recommendations on what to do? I know that building a gaming PC (3080ti, new Intel CPU etc...) will cost me well over 4k in Australia, yet I could get a 3070/3080 laptop (possibly with a FHD screen) for around the 3k mark, yet I know it won't be as powerful as a desktop BUT, it's cheaper and I can get it now!

I'm really wanting to play games and keep up with this gen of games that consoles have so GAF, what is your recommendation?

spons

Gold Member
I want to upgrade my Haswell box. Aiming at about 450 to 500 euros. Currently looking at:
Code:
Intel Core i5-11400
ASRock B560 Steel Legend
be quiet! Pure Rock 2
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

This will be paired with an RX580 and a 1080p/75Hz/Freesync monitor. I added an aftermarket cooler because I've read Intel still gets hotter than a firecracker. I've also read that it gets even hotter than that when you disable some kind of power limit making it run at boost clocks all the time. Is that true? And can that be done on this motherboard?

Dr.D00p

Lol, I just priced up the storage overhaul I'd like to install on my PC...fucking $1750.

1x1TB Gen 4 NVMe, OS Boot drive, $200

1x2TB Gen 4 NVMe, Primary games drive, $400

2x4TB 2.5in SATA SSD Steam,Origin,Epic storage drives, $800

1x12TB 3.5in mechanical drive Movies/TV $350

$1750...just on fucking storage...That used to buy you a complete high end PC, FFS.

SSD prices still have a ways to go, especially once you go over 1TB.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Generally I would stay away from "gaming chairs" and try to find something used from steelcase or herman miller

Yeah I've seen it.
I like GN but he likes to sit on a high ignorant horse. I've ordered secretlab chair... so guess we will see how is it :p

Newari

There exists the general garbage called "gaming chairs" and actually decent chairs that have gamer aesthetic, like Secretlab.

PS. I had Ikea Markus and then got Secretlab Titan 2020. The Secretlab chair is indeed a decent upgrade for my preferences, but be aware that the racing seat design can be uncomfortable, especially if the raised sides press on your shoulders.

Fuz

Banned
Generally I would stay away from "gaming chairs" and try to find something used from steelcase or herman miller

Wasted money, besides, I really can't stand those stupid armrests that seem to be trendy nowadays. Ugly design and uncomfortable AF.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

I want to upgrade my Haswell box. Aiming at about 450 to 500 euros. Currently looking at:
Code:
Intel Core i5-11400
ASRock B560 Steel Legend
be quiet! Pure Rock 2
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

This will be paired with an RX580 and a 1080p/75Hz/Freesync monitor. I added an aftermarket cooler because I've read Intel still gets hotter than a firecracker. I've also read that it gets even hotter than that when you disable some kind of power limit making it run at boost clocks all the time. Is that true? And can that be done on this motherboard?
Intel's Alder Lake i.e. 12th Gen is 2 days away. Even if you don't want it to give it a look it should drop prices on Intel's existing lines and hopefully force a price correction on AMD's side too.

Regarding the motherboard & power limits - a little caution advisable. I don't think the Steel Legend is one of ASrock's bottom of the barrel motherboards but there are issues with their cheapest B560 boards that effectively limit performance. General B560 info and another that has your CPU of choice. You are right that you'll definitely want that aftermarket cooler if you intend to run beyond the "stock" 65W TDP limit.

Were it me on that budget I'd perhaps look at the 10th Gen Intel. Depending on the workload the 10400F is pretty close to the 11400F and a quick look at Amazon UK... £150 vs £200 respectively. Imagine similar for your local Amazon/retailer of choice.

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
Intel's Alder Lake i.e. 12th Gen is 2 days away. Even if you don't want it to give it a look it should drop prices on Intel's existing lines and hopefully force a price correction on AMD's side too.

Regarding the motherboard & power limits - a little caution advisable. I don't think the Steel Legend is one of ASrock's bottom of the barrel motherboards but there are issues with their cheapest B560 boards that effectively limit performance. General B560 info and another that has your CPU of choice. You are right that you'll definitely want that aftermarket cooler if you intend to run beyond the "stock" 65W TDP limit.

Were it me on that budget I'd perhaps look at the 10th Gen Intel. Depending on the workload the 10400F is pretty close to the 11400F and a quick look at Amazon UK... £150 vs £200 respectively. Imagine similar for your local Amazon/retailer of choice.
Thanks for your response.

I'll wait until the Alder Lake reviews hit then. I've taken the time to read some more and the Steel Legend uses the same BIOS/UEFI as their even lower-priced motherboards (Pro4), so I do think it's part of their low budget line-up.
As for 10400F vs 11400F, the difference is about 20 euros here in the Netherlands, so negligible in cost with a somewhat slight performance hit. The 11400F is 179 euros at a local retailer.
The workload is 99% playing games, 1% downloading and installing games. No video encoding or whatever. I've also seen a video on this subject and it seems that with an RX580, you barely saturate the 11400 at 1080p and even less at 1440p, but it does open a path for future GPU upgrades. When those are available anyway.

I'll check out the videos you've posted, and see what happens with the prices of Intel and AMD processors after 2 days.

Malakhov

Banned
6800xt coil whine is annoying as hell. Someone offering me a 3070ti evga xc3 for it. Should I bite? I got the AMD card at cost, would be one for one

twilo99

6800xt coil whine is annoying as hell. Someone offering me a 3070ti evga xc3 for it. Should I bite? I got the AMD card at cost, would be one for one

No.

The 6800xt is a much better card performance wise.. I had an evga 3070ti before I switched to a 6800xt.

3080 or a 3080ti then yes.. you should consider that.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
No.

The 6800xt is a much better card performance wise.. I had an evga 3070ti before I switched to a 6800xt.

3080 or a 3080ti then yes.. you should consider that.
Yeah, the coil whine is fucking annoying though. It's not that I don't like the card, it's a beast

twilo99

Yeah, the coil whine is fucking annoying though. It's not that I don't like the card, it's a beast

Yeah, that sucks. You have the stock one from amd.com?

My xfx has it too, but it isn't that bad overall..

I wonder if all AIBs have coil whine? That would be weird.

Malakhov

Banned
Yeah, that sucks. You have the stock one from amd.com?

My xfx has it too, but it isn't that bad overall..

I wonder if all AIBs have coil whine? That would be weird.
yep directly from amd
it is bad when the gpu is being pushed, i can reduce it while undervolting it or putting a fps cap in games. Very annoying

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
ayyy the chair is here.
It actually seems good and quality. The seat is hard but maybe in a good way. Lumbar support works too. it's huge !
Now the wait for gamer nexus to call me an idiot begins :D

voSnMlQ.jpg

Upgrade from markus. had it for 6 years. The difference is staggering. Will require some getting used to haha. That said Markus was excellent and is probably better for some people. I've used it so long and without armrests too so it's weird now
BLWelIG.jpg

Last edited:

Midn1ght

It actually seems good and quality. The seat is hard but maybe in a good way. Lumbar support works too. it's huge !

I've been wanting to get one for a while now but your comment about being "hard" makes me hesitant now. I always had the impression they are soft and cozy but, like you said, maybe it's a good thing. I've been using an old and cheap Ikea office chair for years and my back is in need of something comfortable.

Feel free to give us your impression after using it for a week or two.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've been wanting to get one for a while now but your comment about being "hard" makes me hesitant now. I always had the impression they are soft and cozy but, like you said, maybe it's a good thing. I've been using an old and cheap Ikea office chair for years and my back is in need of something comfortable.

Feel free to give us your impression after using it for a week or two.
It's absolutely not soft. It's hard but in a ok way?
And somehow my ass don't hurt yet and it's been 2 hours (?) now ? On Markus, which was much softer, my ass could get sore sometimes.
It's just the first impressions. the chair is almost to big for me. I got XL size and I am 188cm (almost 6"2').
But it is cozy just because it is pretty big and hugging you very slightly.

Top Bottom