• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2021. Sold Out Edition.

rofif

Banned
NVME temps.
I've got these two mp 510 pcie 3.0 drives and both came just "as is" without any heatsinks. Just with the thermal sticker like usual.
One above, one below 3080 FE WHICH IS FULL METAL AND HOT TO TOUCH when in use.
Idling, top drive is 44, bottom one is 42c.
When I stress the gpu, the drives go up to 55. When I then copy something... the drives go to 70 and throttle to like 5mb/s and die.

Since then I've installed my motherboard radiator on one of the drives and mp600 radiator on another. Don't really see much change. These drives kinds suck ass.
What's the point of 3500mb/s drive if when I copy 40gb file, it maxes out at 1100-1200mb/s and then drops below that. And that's not even when overheating

Last edited:

Xisiqomelir

Side-grading continues:

Kz0NF9w.png

K0kIxfP.jpg

hNGNds6.png

Now begins the hunt for the Green Whale

Celcius

°Temp. member
Have any of you ever had an issue with your computer turning on by itself? I always completely shut down my PC when I'm not using it but today it turned on by itself somehow...

vpance

Have any of you ever had an issue with your computer turning on by itself? I always completely shut down my PC when I'm not using it but today it turned on by itself somehow...

From complete shut down no, but stand by yeah. If it's from shut down then I think it'll be a setting in the bios that you can change, like 'wake up' something.

For my case in Windows I had to disable Allow Wake Timers in advanced power options.

Kenpachii

Slower? OLED has fastest response time. There is almost no ghosting compared to 120hz LCD. You need 240hz TN to get similar effect

Yea said it wrong, i meant input lag. response time is great on oled indeed, and input lag also seems to be fixed after closer looking.

Anyway.

I can't decide between LG oled, i am 100% sure that thing will burn to a crisp with my usage. Or the LG 34GN850-B with has absolute dog shit black levels but hey its atleast a PC monitor i guess. both are pretty much same priced.

rofif

Banned
Yea said it wrong, i meant input lag. response time is great on oled indeed, and input lag also seems to be fixed after closer looking.

Anyway.

I can't decide between LG oled, i am 100% sure that thing will burn to a crisp with my usage. Or the LG 34GN850-B with has absolute dog shit black levels but hey its atleast a PC monitor i guess. both are pretty much same priced.
I think it's 8 or 12 Ms on LG C1. Not too bad yeah

manfestival

OMG look what came in !
Niz X87 35g. Customizable actuation point, zero rattle, super quiet. Even spacebar and stabilizer keys are super quiet.
I am getting used to the low force but it feels... luxurious

Rtt4eUZ.jpg
Oh I am so tempted to buy this... and I said to myself that I only wanted to buy a hot swap board for my next keeb... :messenger_weary:

What is weird is that videos with sound test seem to show that the modifiers and spacebar have a decent amount of rattle. You think going 45g would be an upgrade or not really?

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Oh I am so tempted to buy this... and I said to myself that I only wanted to buy a hot swap board for my next keeb... :messenger_weary:

What is weird is that videos with sound test seem to show that the modifiers and spacebar have a decent amount of rattle. You think going 45g would be an upgrade or not really?
Most reviews are of 2020 or older models. This is 2021 so they must've changed something but I don't hear much rattle. This is for sure quiet keyboard and delicate to write with.
There are a bunch of 10g springs and they do make the keys feel a tiny bit stiffer but I am not using the as I like the 35 gram feel so far.
The keyboard is extremely light to type on and keys feel somewhat scratchy at least compared to optical.

I am happy with the purchase. You feel the quality. There is no need to open it and change stabilizers. Maybe lube the switches tiny bit to eliminate some scratch but I have never done that and gmmk lube or similar is expensive :p
but the spacebar is the best I've ever heard and 10x quieter than huntsman mini.

Here is my bad sound demo
Youi might think that spacebar is loud when I press hard but the keys are so light I am finding myself typing very delicate and quiet. I think my ikea malm hollow desk and shitty oneplus 7t camera makes it sound a bit different :p

edit: There is also 0 rattle when you pick it up and shake in X and Y directions. My huntsman mini sounded like a box of nails :p

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Well i couldn't decide so i basically just rolled the dice and went with the LG

15dc459d7290cfcdf46c301692280e3d.png

Costed me a rib out of my body for a freaking screen. but always wanted ultra wide but 3440x1440 was to hard to push gpu wise before, 3080 will do a better job at it now as its more focused on higher resolutions anyway and the screen tech finally seems to be able to push some solid performance on the response rate forwards and input lag.

I simple didn't wanted to take the risk with oled burn in as my screen is on passive most of the day, it sucks because oled would be so much more better at the end of the day, but 48 inch as pc screen is rough tho. I will just sit it out until oled widescreens become available. Going from tn 1080p to this new screen wil be solid enough i would say.

The 38 model of LG version which i also considered as its a bit heigher on height. But the 3820x1600 resolution is pretty steep to push forwards, and the extra 400 bucks wasn't worth it to me. Rather go oled then.

Anyway, hope my panel isn't going to be a shit show of death pixels, got 5 years warranty so we will see.

rofif

Banned
Well i couldn't decide so i basically just rolled the dice and went with the LG

15dc459d7290cfcdf46c301692280e3d.png

Costed me a rib out of my body for a freaking screen. but always wanted ultra wide but 3440x1440 was to hard to push gpu wise before, 3080 will do a better job at it now as its more focused on higher resolutions anyway and the screen tech finally seems to be able to push some solid performance on the response rate forwards and input lag.

I simple didn't wanted to take the risk with oled burn in as my screen is on passive most of the day, it sucks because oled would be so much more better at the end of the day, but 48 inch as pc screen is rough tho. I will just sit it out until oled widescreens become available. Going from tn 1080p to this new screen wil be solid enough i would say.

The 38 model of LG version which i also considered as its a bit heigher on height. But the 3820x1600 resolution is pretty steep to push forwards, and the extra 400 bucks wasn't worth it to me. Rather go oled then.

Anyway, hope my panel isn't going to be a shit show of death pixels, got 5 years warranty so we will see.
That is the next best thing but man... if you can fit 48" on your desk, oled would not be too big. You could get used to it.
But anyway - this is a great monitor

Kenpachii

That is the next best thing but man... if you can fit 48" on your desk, oled would not be too big. You could get used to it.
But anyway - this is a great monitor

Thanks, yea i will probably move to oled with my next upgrade. will see how it goes. Must say ultra wide is glorious, feel like walking in a movie in AC games lol.

Dr.D00p

Lol...I managed to snag a 3080 just 5wks ago for the £650 MSRP...I could now go to my local CEX store and sell it, for £1120.

If it carries on like this I'll be able to sell it and grab a nice 3080Ti AIB for zero upgrade cost.

Kenpachii

Lol...I managed to snag a 3080 just 5wks ago for the £650 MSRP...I could now go to my local CEX store and sell it, for £1120.

If it carries on like this I'll be able to sell it and grab a nice 3080Ti AIB for zero upgrade cost.

Many people do just that and have a top end pc as result out of it.

Dr.D00p

Many people do just that and have a top end pc as result out of it.

I could do, but I won't.

A good AIB 3080Ti costs £1500 and TBH, I find the idea of paying that much for a GPU morally repugnant and I refuse to do it.

I'm more than happy with the FE 3080, aesthetically speaking I find its form factor far superior to any of the ugly, OTT AIB designs.

It'll do me just fine until the 40xx cards come along in 22/23.

Kenpachii

I could do, but I won't.

A good AIB 3080Ti costs £1500 and TBH, I find the idea of paying that much for a GPU morally repugnant and I refuse to do it.

I'm more than happy with the FE 3080, aesthetically speaking I find its form factor far superior to any of the ugly, OTT AIB designs.

It'll do me just fine until the 40xx cards come along in 22/23.

Same problem here. I wanted a 3080ti, but ended up with 3080 tuf oc because i could get it for 1090 instead of 1500 for a good ti model. while 1100 is already uff, 1500 is just to much for my brain to pay for a GPU even 1100 is really but 4000 series is to far away for my liking and the 1080ti got long in the tooth without dlss and rt so moved forwards.

Still double the performance would be welcome for some titles for sure and can't wait to see what 4000 series gives us.

Most reviews are of 2020 or older models. This is 2021 so they must've changed something but I don't hear much rattle. This is for sure quiet keyboard and delicate to write with.
There are a bunch of 10g springs and they do make the keys feel a tiny bit stiffer but I am not using the as I like the 35 gram feel so far.
The keyboard is extremely light to type on and keys feel somewhat scratchy at least compared to optical.

I am happy with the purchase. You feel the quality. There is no need to open it and change stabilizers. Maybe lube the switches tiny bit to eliminate some scratch but I have never done that and gmmk lube or similar is expensive :p
but the spacebar is the best I've ever heard and 10x quieter than huntsman mini.

Here is my bad sound demo
Youi might think that spacebar is loud when I press hard but the keys are so light I am finding myself typing very delicate and quiet. I think my ikea malm hollow desk and shitty oneplus 7t camera makes it sound a bit different :p

edit: There is also 0 rattle when you pick it up and shake in X and Y directions. My huntsman mini sounded like a box of nails :p

I've been looking at keyboards so much lately. Decided on waiting for kbd67 lite. Probably some kind of box switch and 100$ caps

nemiroff

Gold Member
I feel the need to do a positive rant..: Undervolting is amazing. Bought a new PC a couple of months ago but was somewhat disappointed because it was relatively noisy. Worst of all the fans ramped up and down just by browsing websites.. Drove me crazy.

So yesterday I was so fed up that I started to look for solutions. My 5950x was causing most of the noise, and I quickly found that it's easy to test undervolting for the CPU via the AMD Ryzen Master app, and Afterburner for the 3080 - And after a few minutes of testing it already worked like a dream. I also changed the fan curves manually in the bios as well.

So now basically most of the fan noise is long gone, and temperatures are way the fuck down (more than 20C lower on the CPU). Even before starting to fine tune I've saved a total of about 150-200W on my 5950x and 3080 together and yet still close to the original performance.

grkazan12

Hey there, I was interested in building a new rig after having a solid one for 10 years (i5 2500k, 980TI, 8GB RAM). Not sure if I should get that or a new laptop. Have lots of games on Steam, emulate old games on there, and want to play Elden Ring on there when it comes out. I also recently gave my brother my laptop from 2016 since his crapped out. The laptop would be a M1X MacBook Pro that 's expected to be announced this month and for tower I'm thinking a 3080TI, 5900x, and 32GB ram.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, but I'm going back and forth on what would be the better purchase at this time.

Leonidas

I feel the need to do a positive rant..: Undervolting is amazing. Bought a new PC a couple of months ago but was somewhat disappointed because it was relatively noisy. Worst of all the fans ramped up and down just by browsing websites.. Drove me crazy.

So yesterday I was so fed up that I started to look for solutions. My 5950x was causing most of the noise, and I quickly found that it's easy to test undervolting for the CPU via the AMD Ryzen Master app, and Afterburner for the 3080 - And after a few minutes of testing it already worked like a dream. I also changed the fan curves manually in the bios as well.

So now basically most of the fan noise is long gone, and temperatures are way the fuck down (more than 20C lower on the CPU). Even before starting to fine tune I've saved a total of about 150-200W on my 5950x and 3080 together and yet still close to the original performance.
I'm curious how far you were able to undervolt your CPU. I undervloted Zen3 before and it wasn't long before I experienced clock stretching which reduced performance, despite software reporting higher clocks...

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just upgraded to Windows 11 and I'm liking it. How is HDR supposed to work... turn it on and auto-HDR? Colors in windows look kinda weird with HDR turned on though.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Evga queue came through finally! My rtx 3080 will be here on Wednesday! Never thought I'd get one of these for msrp lol.
Fucking rad, man! Out of curiosity, when did you register for the queue? My oldest is from March 2021. I have another account with cards I queued for in May.

Last edited:

Excess

Just upgraded to Windows 11 and I'm liking it. How is HDR supposed to work... turn it on and auto-HDR? Colors in windows look kinda weird with HDR turned on though.
Can you screencap what the settings look like? I'm curious to know and am excited for auto-HDR.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I honestly can't remember. It feels like a year lol. I'd say it was early in the year.
It should tell you if you login to your EVGA account, then up top there's a menu option 'MY EVGA', then in the subsequent drop-down there's an option under 'MY EVGA' called 'My Notifies'. It should have the dates listed in there. If you get a chance to look that would be cool, but no worries either way. My spot is my spot.

Excess

As I looked at those settings, they don't seem be all that different from Win10, with the exception of it saying Auto-HDR is a thing. But as I think about it more, I suspect that a game would probably need to be in full screen to really trigger this setting. Otherwise, it sounds like it's going to just do what it does in Win10: tone-mapping SDR to HDR while HDR is enabled, because either the picture signal is HDR or it's not.

Graciaus

Not one but two alerts on my phone for a 3080 while I'm not only home but sitting on the couch doing nothing important. I'm about to go to bed so if there is a third it won't sting as bad.

Rival

Gold Member
Thats really awesome been doing a happy dance ever since?
I mean yes I am but I’m feeling guilty about spending so much on a gpu as I’d had my eye on the standard 3080. But to get something for msrp is pretty awesome. I “won” the Newegg shuffle last week to buy a 3090 bundled with a motherboard that was like $2900 with tax so $1295 with tax for the 3080ti seems wonderful in comparison.

and no I didn’t buy the 3090 motherboard combo.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Just a rough question... anyone wants to purchase my month old NIZ x87 ? :p (poland only).
It's good but I would like some media keys, maybe wireless and stuff (that other thread made me look for keyboards again lol)

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Hey there, I was interested in building a new rig after having a solid one for 10 years (i5 2500k, 980TI, 8GB RAM). Not sure if I should get that or a new laptop. Have lots of games on Steam, emulate old games on there, and want to play Elden Ring on there when it comes out. I also recently gave my brother my laptop from 2016 since his crapped out. The laptop would be a M1X MacBook Pro that 's expected to be announced this month and for tower I'm thinking a 3080TI, 5900x, and 32GB ram.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, but I'm going back and forth on what would be the better purchase at this time.

Personally, I would wait a bit to upgrade since DDR5 RAM is about to be released. You CAN upgrade now, but if you wait then you can either further future-proof your build by having the latest RAM, or you will probably be able to get DDR4 RAM cheaper as that generally happens when new RAM floods the market.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I was going to build a pc for my son for Christmas but I don't see the point right now with GPU prices/availability. Going to get a prebuilt I guess.

For 1440/60, I need a 2060 minimum right?

twilo99

I scored a 6800xt from amd yesterday! Order was confirmed, damn that's nice

Good choice! I tried getting one from them for a while and could never get through the checkout process so I finally caved and got the xfx version instead.

I've had it for about 4 months now I think, its a very good GPU.. enjoy

Last edited:

manfestival

Just a rough question... anyone wants to purchase my month old NIZ x87 ? :p (poland only).
It's good but I would like some media keys, maybe wireless and stuff (that other thread made me look for keyboards again lol)
Ohhhhhhhhhhh snaaaaaaaaaap

Good choice! I tried getting one from them for a while and could never get through the checkout process so I finally caved and got the xfx version instead.

I've had it for about 4 months now I think, its a very good GPU.. enjoy
That is the card that I have and it is fantastic. Fun fact: I did not know that 6800xt was overall better at rasterization in 2k than the 3080. I learned that after buying my card since it was the only option and I initially felt like I settled. Pleasantly surprised with the end result

Last edited:

twilo99

That is the card that I have and it is fantastic. Fun fact: I did not know that 6800xt was overall better at rasterization in 2k than the 3080. I learned that after buying my card since it was the only option and I initially felt like I settled. Pleasantly surprised with the end result

6800xt is a monster if you don't care about RT..

I actually got a 3070ti thinking it might be good, but the performance was rather disappointing for me so I went for the 6800xt and knew from reviews and such that its a very good kit. That xfx version has an insane cooler! Does yours have any coil whine at all? I can hear mine every once in a while under load.

Last edited:

manfestival

6800xt is a monster if you don't care about RT..

I actually got a 3070ti thinking it might be good, but the performance was rather disappointing for me so I went for the 6800xt and knew from reviews and such that its a very good kit. That xfx version has an insane cooler! Does yours have any coil whine at all? I can hear mine every once in a while under load.
Yeah mine has coil whine pretty bad but that is when the load hits above 70%. Looking into getting a quiet case

Malakhov

Banned
How about this monitor?

I might get a new job which requires me a new monitor, id like to work on it and game on it at night. This or something else?

Top Bottom