• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2021. Sold Out Edition.

SantaC

That's fast. For me it's 20 seconds but I have pci 3.0 ssd.
And I have all fast startup options disabled because it fucked with the tv
I have fast startup disabled too and i have the pci 3.0 m2 as boot disk :)

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I have fast startup disabled too and i have the pci 3.0 m2 as boot disk :)
what motherboard? I have x570. Funny thing, boot took 40-50 seconds when I got x570/3700x on release date. It was updated with each new bios

dave_d

That's fast. For me it's 20 seconds but I have pci 3.0 ssd.
And I have all fast startup options disabled because it fucked with the tv
On mine it's 23 to a usable desktop with fastboot and 28 seconds to a usable desktop on my M2 drive.(Reminder to everyone, turn off fastboot. It's not worth it and it causes a ton of hassles. I have no idea why MS leaves it on by default, it was a stupid idea.)

Hi! I do video editing and run simulations and CPU-heavy tasks. I put together a list of parts I'd like to have on my next build (I'm in Canada).

Can you guys tell me if there's something wrong with it? I built as close to this as possible in PC Building Simulator and it all seems to fit together nicely.

For the GPU I'm still debating 3070 or 3080, my tasks are much more reliant on CPU than GPU.

My current computer has a i7-7700k and 16Gb RAM, and it gets brought down to it's knees instantly, both CPU and RAM shoot up to 95-100%, I went for a Ryzen 9 5950X.

I'm also unsure if 32Gb RAM is enough, is it ok to order 32Gb now, and then another 32Gb later if it's not enough? I'm going for 2x16.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Ds9zJf

For the airflow, I was thinking the Corsair liquid cooler on the side (I think it's the only place it fits?) as an intake, and one 140mm fan on top of the CPU so the air gets brought into the case and flows through both CPU and GPU, and then out on top, do you guys think I need to add another fan?

I also have no idea what ssds to go for, I went for the WD S550 x3, one for OS/software, one for the simulations, and one for gaming, but maybe it's a bad choice, I genuinely have no idea. Load times are important, and I took a 4Tb HDD for the slower storage.

GreatnessRD

Hi! I do video editing and run simulations and CPU-heavy tasks. I put together a list of parts I'd like to have on my next build (I'm in Canada).

Can you guys tell me if there's something wrong with it? I built as close to this as possible in PC Building Simulator and it all seems to fit together nicely.

For the GPU I'm still debating 3070 or 3080, my tasks are much more reliant on CPU than GPU.

My current computer has a i7-7700k and 16Gb RAM, and it gets brought down to it's knees instantly, both CPU and RAM shoot up to 95-100%, I went for a Ryzen 9 5950X.

I'm also unsure if 32Gb RAM is enough, is it ok to order 32Gb now, and then another 32Gb later if it's not enough? I'm going for 2x16.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Ds9zJf

For the airflow, I was thinking the Corsair liquid cooler on the side (I think it's the only place it fits?) as an intake, and one 140mm fan on top of the CPU so the air gets brought into the case and flows through both CPU and GPU, and then out on top, do you guys think I need to add another fan?

I also have no idea what ssds to go for, I went for the WD S550 x3, one for OS/software, one for the simulations, and one for gaming, but maybe it's a bad choice, I genuinely have no idea. Load times are important, and I took a 4Tb HDD for the slower storage.
Don't know if the 32GB of RAM is enough for your use case, but you can always add more later if it isn't, so you're fine there. You could also look at even better speed RAM like the G.Skill Trident RGB 3600MHz CL16 ram. Though you should be fine with the CL18. I'd probably add a couple more fans as you want as much fresh air as possible. I'd say two more fans wouldn't hurt. Your storage, if you need fast store I'd say you need to get Gen4 NVME since that matters for you. May look into Samsung 980 Pro, Western Digital SN850. You can keep one of those SN550s for gaming. I currently use that and you won't notice a different in gaming situations, but for your editing and simulations, the Gen4 speeds probably will make a difference. The 4TB HDD is cool, too. Good luck with your choices!

I didn't even know about the CL16/18 stuff haha, I found the CL16 version of the same RAM for 5$ more! I'm kind of a Corsair fanboy for their RGB stuff.
Edit: Wait, nvm, the CL16 is 3200, the CL18 is 3600.

I heard great things about the Samsung 980, but they are nearly twice the price of the SN550, same for the SN850, are they THAT MUCH better? Or is it just a slight upgrade? If it's a slight upgrade I might settle for the 550. It literally goes from $280 to $470.

As for the fans I'll look up some YouTube builds done in that case see how people do it.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

I didn't even know about the CL16/18 stuff haha, I found the CL16 version of the same RAM for 5$ more! I'm kind of a Corsair fanboy for their RGB stuff.
Edit: Wait, nvm, the CL16 is 3200, the CL18 is 3600.

I heard great things about the Samsung 980, but they are nearly twice the price of the SN550, same for the SN850, are they THAT MUCH better? Or is it just a slight upgrade? If it's a slight upgrade I might settle for the 550. It literally goes from $280 to $470.

As for the fans I'll look up some YouTube builds done in that case see how people do it.

Thanks for the help!
Even if you choose CL16 3200MHz, you should still be fine. I'm using Corsair Dominator CL16 3200MHz. Just figured for what you're doing and the fact Ryzen 5000 likes faster speed is the only reason I suggested CL16 3600, but you're good either way. Even with the CL18. And far as the NVME drives go, I do believe the Gen4 speeds will make a difference with your use case, but you can wait for others to chime in. You'll still be fine with the SN550s no doubt, but the Gen4 will faster and snappier. As for fans, its a ton of popular ones like the Corsair QLs, Lian-Li SL's (I currently use these myself) and the Lian-Li AL's which just came out not too long ago. In any event you'll still be fine regardless of what you choose. Just depends on the monies you're willing to spend.

GymWolf

Guys, be brutally honest with me, is my i5 8600k stock not good enough anymore to support my 2070 super or just modern gaming at 1440p60 (until i upgrade the entire pc for 4k gaming).

I play a lot of open world games...

SantaC

Guys, be brutally honest with me, is my i5 8600k stock not good enough anymore to support my 2070 super or just modern gaming at 1440p60 (until i upgrade the entire pc for 4k gaming).

I play a lot of open world games...
Yeah i5 8600K is a weak cpu in todays market

GymWolf

Yeah i5 8600K is a weak cpu in todays market
Ok maybe tone down the brutality a bit fellas :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

If you had to use a percentage number, how much is my gpu limited by the cpu? 5%? 50%? I'm gonna kill myself %??

Last edited:

SantaC

If you had to use a percentage number, how much is my gpu limited by the cpu? 5%? 50%? I'm gonna kill myself %??
I am no expert on intel cpus these days, but does your motherboard support a 9th or 10th gen cpu?

crumbs

If you really need a percentage, some in-game benchmarks will give you results for how much your config is GPU vs CPU limited. Off the top of my head, Forza Horizon 4 and both Gears 4 and 5 benchmarking tools have this. Not sure if you have any of these games, but this would at least give you a rough idea of how your CPU is effecting performance.

Last edited:

GymWolf

If you really need a percentage, some in-game benchmarks will give you results for how much your config is GPU vs CPU limited. Off the top of my head, Forza Horizon 4 and both Gears 4 and 5 benchmarking tools have this. Not sure if you have any of these games, but this would at least give you a rough idea of how your CPU is effecting performance.
Gears games runs like dreams on pc so i never even used the benchmark and never played a forza game in my life.

So in theory every time i have hard times locking the framerate is probably a cpu problem?!

Shit, in 2022 a lot of good open world came out and i'm waiting for the gpu shortage to finish to upgrade the entire pc...

GymWolf

In case you wanted to upgrade
Oh sure, but i'm not gonna spend 200-300 dollars to buy a newer but still old cpu just because i can, i'm gonna upgrade the entire pc with high end parts when the gpu shortage is gonna end.

Last edited:

SantaC

Oh sure, but i'm not gonna spend 200-300 dollars to buy a newer but still old cpu just because i can, i'm gonna upgrade the entire pc with high end parts when the gpu shortage is gonna end.
Yeah thats a good idea.

Wait for Zen 4

crumbs

Gears games runs like dreams on pc so i never even used the benchmark and never played a forza game in my life.

So in theory every time i have hard times locking the framerate is probably a cpu problem?!
Even if your rig can run the Gears benchmarks well, the results would still help you identify what is the limitation in your system is between the GPU and CPU.

As to your second point, your CPU is not that bad and I envision most of your framerate instability issues would still be related to GPU.

Is there a specific open world game that is giving you performance issues?

GymWolf

Even if your rig can run the Gears benchmarks well, the results would still help you identify what is the limitation in your system is between the GPU and CPU.

As to your second point, your CPU is not that bad and I envision most of your framerate instability issues would still be related to GPU.

Is there a specific open world game that is giving you performance issues?
Oh i don't rememeber exactly what games gave me problems, the majority maintain 60 frames most of the times but they have strange hiccups...

Like i'm playing saint row 3 remastered and even at 1440p with some things on medium, the game doesn't feel right...

AGRacing

Gold Member
I'm more of an intel guy, but if people can assure me that amd has quality drivers nowadays i can change idea.

I had the occasional VIDEO driver issue only back with the 5700 XT.... but toward the end of my time with it I'd say it was corrected. I now have a 6900 XT and have no issues whatsoever.

I also went from a 3700X to a 5800X. No driver issues with CPUs that I can recall ever.

GymWolf

I had the occasional VIDEO driver issue only back with the 5700 XT.... but toward the end of my time with it I'd say it was corrected. I now have a 6900 XT and have no issues whatsoever.

I also went from a 3700X to a 5800X. No driver issues with CPUs that I can recall ever.
Yeah, my believings are more related to old amd most probably.

crumbs

Damn can you imagine waiting in line and to be told in the morning that tickets were already handed out....yesterday?

zero 30 series RTX cards were had in San Fernando Valley.

VWwAbDH.png

This is why I prefer to do all my shopping online these days.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I've all but given up on a 3 series card. Even something like a 3070 is pretty much double the msrp. Fuck it.

Last edited:

howitis3

I'm more of an intel guy, but if people can assure me that amd has quality drivers nowadays i can change idea.
If you call yourself an "intel" guy i'd say just stick with them. AMD is faster right now and i've never heard of chipset driver issues with amd and I've used them since threadripper, but its best to stick with the ecosystem you're used too. You're more likely to be upset at the first sign something is done differently with AMD. I'm an "AMD" guy, but i went INTEL for the core'2duo. It went out after 6 months and I went around telling everyone how terrible INTEL is. INTEL core2duos were fine of course I just had bad luck. Don't be me.

GymWolf

If you call yourself an "intel" guy i'd say just stick with them. AMD is faster right now and i've never heard of chipset driver issues with amd and I've used them since threadripper, but its best to stick with the ecosystem you're used too. You're more likely to be upset at the first sign something is done differently with AMD. I'm an "AMD" guy, but i went INTEL for the core'2duo. It went out after 6 months and I went around telling everyone how terrible INTEL is. INTEL core2duos were fine of course I just had bad luck. Don't be me.
I'm not really an intel guy, i just happened to have always an intel cpu in the latest years because amd was kinda infamous for his drivers and i'm kinda of a noob but certified lazy pc gamer type that doens't want to deal with more shit in his pc than windows already deliver by itself, i'm absolutely open to an amd cpu.
I'm kinda more faithfull when it comes to gpu and nvidia because lately they look like they push the more interesting tech (dlss for me, rtx for the others)

But to return in topic, this guy manage 4k60 on sr3 remastered with the same gpu, i guess he has a far better cpu? but isn't true that the cpu doesn't count that much at 4k?!

ù

(tbh i didn't even tried 4k60 on my system, maybe i'm gonna try later just for the shits and giggles)

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
What have you guys been doing for an OS (Win 10)?

Newegg has Win 10 home on sale for $89.99 for the next couple of days. But I was also looking an purchasing a key from an online dealer. They are pretty cheap, but I want to make sure I get one from a respectable dealer.

Any experience with this?

Thanks. I started looking into the coolers and saw that those can run me an additional $100.

So at the last moment at Microcenter I ended up going with the 3700X instead. I got it for $240 and it comes with a heat sink fan. I won’t be doing intense gaming or video editing so I figure this is good enough for me.

Ya I usually buy my keys from reddit I picked one guy with a lot of posts. I bought probably 3 to 4 over the years. Never had a problem.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I got kinda tired of huntsman mini keyboard constantly having sticky keys... and I miss arrow and F keys.
So i've been looking for a while and ordered NIZ x87 in white. Anyone used NIZ electro capacitive keyboards?

howitis3

I'm not really an intel guy, i just happened to have always an intel cpu in the latest years because amd was kinda infamous for his drivers and i'm kinda of a noob but certified lazy pc gamer type that doens't want to deal with more shit in his pc than windows already deliver by itself, i'm absolutely open to an amd cpu.
I'm kinda more faithfull when it comes to gpu and nvidia because lately they look like they push the more interesting tech (dlss for me, rtx for the others)

But to return in topic, this guy manage 4k60 on sr3 remastered with the same gpu, i guess he has a far better cpu? but isn't true that the cpu doesn't count that much at 4k?!

ù

(tbh i didn't even tried 4k60 on my system, maybe i'm gonna try later just for the shits and giggles)

your thinking of their last gen video cards with the driver issues. AMD has never had them with their chipset drivers on the cpu side. intel has actually been the one that constantly needs to patch due to security issues.

While I'm waiting for GPUs to return to a reasonable price I thought I'd upgrade my monitor. I'm lookin for a 4k, 32", HDR10 monitor for around £400.

Any recommendations?

Kenpachii

ù

CPU always counts even at 4k, if your cpu can't render the scene in 60 fps, no amount of resolution or lower resolution is going to fix that.

People often make the mistake of thinking that higher resolutions cpu's start to matter less. but the reality is if your cpu can't render the scene at 40 fps, higher resolution will only mask it if the gpu isn't able to hit that 40fps. the moment it does u are still CPU bound.

This is why i always heavily invest when i upgrade in a really good CPU solution.

Anyway your 8600k sits at 440 single core performance,

5600x sits at 602
5800x sits at 627
5950x sits at 643

intels best: ( hot cpu's )
11900k 626
11700k 591
11600k 575

that's the performance uplift u can expect

So if u hit 40 fps in a game, a 5950x would hit 60 fps just on single core performance. which is metric used to see how fast a CPU is in gaming.

However, you got a lot less cores on the 8600k, so when games do use more cores performance can go up drasticall on all of them.

Now about upgrading.

Personally its a bad time to upgrade, because pci-e 5.0 is around the corner and zen 3 which will introduce a new architecture i believe from AMD that most likely also supports pci-e 5.0 that require new motherboards.

What does PCi e 5.0 add?
- 14gbps SSDs, directstorage is probably introduced then and focusing on this solution is probably a thing then. ( if this is going to add much towards it, who knows really yet to see if it makes any impact whats o ever on PC )
- 6000mhz DDR5 vs 4000 of DDR4, far more bandwidth which cpu's like a lot
- More bandwidth for GPU's ( not really useful as of now, but maybe they can do something with it )
- Motherboards will support future gen cpu's which doesn't require you to upgrade everything, but just swap cpu's.
- DDR5 which u buy will be useful for a long time\
- Obviously faster cpu's like always.

Negatives:
- Gotta wait.

Last edited:

GymWolf

CPU always counts even at 4k, if your cpu can't render the scene in 60 fps, no amount of resolution or lower resolution is going to fix that.

People often make the mistake of thinking that higher resolutions cpu's start to matter less. but the reality is if your cpu can't render the scene at 40 fps, higher resolution will only mask it if the gpu isn't able to hit that 40fps. the moment it does u are still CPU bound.

This is why i always heavily invest when i upgrade in a really good CPU solution.

Anyway your 8600k sits at 440 single core performance,

5600x sits at 602
5800x sits at 627
5950x sits at 643

intels best: ( hot cpu's )
11900k 626
11700k 591
11600k 575

that's the performance uplift u can expect

So if u hit 40 fps in a game, a 5950x would hit 60 fps just on single core performance. which is metric used to see how fast a CPU is in gaming.

However, you got a lot less cores on the 8600k, so when games do use more cores performance can go up drasticall on all of them.

Now about upgrading.

Personally its a bad time to upgrade, because pci-e 5.0 is around the corner and zen 3 which will introduce a new architecture i believe from AMD that most likely also supports pci-e 5.0 that require new motherboards.

What does PCi e 5.0 add?
- 14gbps SSDs, directstorage is probably introduced then and focusing on this solution is probably a thing then. ( if this is going to add much towards it, who knows really yet to see if it makes any impact whats o ever on PC )
- 6000mhz DDR5 vs 4000 of DDR4, far more bandwidth which cpu's like a lot
- More bandwidth for GPU's ( not really useful as of now, but maybe they can do something with it )
- Motherboards will support future gen cpu's which doesn't require you to upgrade everything, but just swap cpu's.
- DDR5 which u buy will be useful for a long time\
- Obviously faster cpu's like always.

Negatives:
- Gotta wait.
I'm probably gonna wait, i want a gigantic upgrade with series 4000, ram ddr5, and an ssd that make the one inside ps5 blush (also new cpu of course).

The problem is that i don't know how much my current pc can resist at 1440p60 with modern games and in 2022 they are gonna release a lot of HEAVY games that i love to play in the best conditions...

Are we talking 1 year wait or more?!

Thanks dude.

GymWolf

P.s. unexpectedly, sr3 remaster run fine at 4k60 on my system, of course i had to disable space reflections and put shadow\ssao at medium, no dof and no AA but i'm happy with the result, the game looks mostly crap for modern standards so turn out that i was worried about nothing lol.

manfestival

So i've been looking for a while and ordered NIZ x87 in white. Anyone used NIZ electro capacitive keyboards?
I have been eyeing that board for some time myself. No experience, just haven't bothered to take the dive. Primarily since I have 2 keebs already and really would prefer my next to have 5 pin hotswappable pcb for mechanical switches. If it wasn't for that I think I would've taken the dive on a niz board since they are the next best thing to topre.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I have been eyeing that board for some time myself. No experience, just haven't bothered to take the dive. Primarily since I have 2 keebs already and really would prefer my next to have 5 pin hotswappable pcb for mechanical switches. If it wasn't for that I think I would've taken the dive on a niz board since they are the next best thing to topre.
Yeah same here. Only got huntsman mini in march but NIZ was on my mind...
I had a hard time deciding atom 68 vs x87 but went for x87 after all.

The first on on top here. Hope I won't miss rgb but the old school style is so elegant.
Btw - I've asked on support chat for a discount and they gave my 5 bucks coupon :p

Kenpachii

I'm probably gonna wait, i want a gigantic upgrade with series 4000, ram ddr5, and an ssd that make the one inside ps5 blush (also new cpu of course).

The problem is that i don't know how much my current pc can resist at 1440p60 with modern games and in 2022 they are gonna release a lot of HEAVY games that i love to play in the best conditions...

Are we talking 1 year wait or more?!

Thanks dude.

Second quarter of 2022.

GreatnessRD

Something in-fucking-credible happened. I actually got an email from EVGA and was able to order the mythical Geforce 3080. Holy fuck.

Now to figure out what to do with my 2080 Ti.
Hd0bdb8.jpg
How long were you in that XC3 queue? You should throw that 2080 Ti in a HTPC or sell it. Congrats on the win.

I ended up going with Ryzen 9 5950x @4.8ghz, Noctua Chromax Black, EVGA 3080 Ti FTW 3, 32GB DDR4 SDRAM GSkill Ripjaws CL14 3200mhz , Asus Strix x570-e Mobo and a nice case; Corsair 5000D and EVGA 1200w 80+ Platinum PSU.
So far it it's been laughing at everything. So have I.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i ended up giving in a few months back and got a 3070 build. I needed it for work so i don't particularly have any regrets but now i am sort of "should have waited" as the 3090 builds finally seem to be coming.... albeit with stupid price tags.

3070 did seem to be the reasonable in point at the time though and no real regrets.

Top Bottom