• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2021. Sold Out Edition.

Yerd

It really is, especially when you find something new, like a mod for a car or something. I actually really want something like this, but I feel it would obstruct a lot of things in my build.

So I was checking your object of desire and right there on the side was a link to this thing. How could I not want that?

I was very close to buying a 5900 last week. Several places had them in stock and I wanted to jump, but I held it in. I would have to buy new MB and new CPU block to go with. I haven't had my i9-9900k for a year yet. I even bought a mini-itx MB and new ram to go with that purchase. I must wait for the next cycle before I get new hardware.

Excess

Made a 1337 montage of my build with CapCut cuz I was bored. :pie_invert:

So I was checking your object of desire and right there on the side was a link to this thing. How could I not want that?

I was very close to buying a 5900 last week. Several places had them in stock and I wanted to jump, but I held it in. I would have to buy new MB and new CPU block to go with. I haven't had my i9-9900k for a year yet. I even bought a mini-itx MB and new ram to go with that purchase. I must wait for the next cycle before I get new hardware.
Ok, now that is pretty fucking cool. Barrowch makes some pretty cool stuff. I'm just super anal about quality with water blocks, though, so I am very adverse to buying anything that isn't EKWB. Probably stupid, but it helps me sleep better at night lol..

Yerd

Made a 1337 montage of my build with CapCut cuz I was bored. :pie_invert:

Ok, now that is pretty fucking cool. Barrowch makes some pretty cool stuff. I'm just super anal about quality with water blocks, though, so I am very adverse to buying anything that isn't EKWB. Probably stupid, but it helps me sleep better at night lol..

EKWB gets a lot of hate for being cheap mainstream stuff. I admit I'm new to watercooling, although I have been building PCs for almost 30 years. My first foray into WC was 2 EK blocks. I will be going with other brand blocks in the future. I like the aesthetics of optimus gear. Boutique level stuff, but hey, it's watercooling and you're already spending way more than you need to. I have yet to dip into hard tubing, I'm not sure I even want to, I like the matte black soft tubing still.

I bought a few barrow or barrowch fittings recently. No problems yet. I don't know if I would go for a barrow/ch block. If optimus ever makes a 3090fe block I'll buy that and a cpu block. Otherwise heatkiller seems to be the go to CPU block.

Grechy34

Okay, but it doesn't mean I need a PS5 now. Also, I'm willing to wait if the games eventually come to PC, and Sony has started realizing it's been financially profitable for them to do so.

It kinda feels like you're trying to convince yourself you don't need one but you really, really want one.

Irobot82

I honestly thought by around this time or Christmas time I'd have upgraded my three kids PC's to a 5600/5600x CPU for like $150-180 a piece. That sure as well isn't happening. Where the fuck is a 5800? Where's my all arounder for $300. This shits nuts. I wanted one last upgrade on my AM4 for me too.

My kids are running RX560's too. Ain't upgrading that anytime soon I guess either.

Kenpachii

I honestly thought by around this time or Christmas time I'd have upgraded my three kids PC's to a 5600/5600x CPU for like $150-180 a piece. That sure as well isn't happening. Where the fuck is a 5800? Where's my all arounder for $300. This shits nuts. I wanted one last upgrade on my AM4 for me too.

My kids are running RX560's too. Ain't upgrading that anytime soon I guess either.

Uff 3 pc's that's going to cost some money

yeah money's tight...

maybe cut back to only 2 gaming PCs :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Irobot82

Uff 3 pc's that's going to cost some money

yeah money's tight...

maybe cut back to only 2 gaming PCs :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I know right. I have three sons! Shits expensive.

Technically 5 PC's.

My kids all have either Ryzen 1200/1300 with RX560's. Nothing fancy. 1080p monitors. Their grandmother helped them a few years ago to get that for their Birthdays.

My gaming PC is a 3700 with still my 1080.

My old gaming PC, which is GPU-less right now which is an old Ivey Bidge i5. It was supposed to be for my wife but with GPU's being stupid its just collecting dust.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Prices seem to have gone up on the 5900x and 5950x officially, 20USD and 50USD respectively.
Where you get that from? AMD website still show them as the original MSRP for me. Though the CPUs are out of stock, its still showing MSRP on Microcenter's website as well. Where do you live?

ChrisB

Where you get that from? AMD website still show them as the original MSRP for me. Though the CPUs are out of stock, its still showing MSRP on Microcenter's website as well. Where do you live?
Amazon, BH, and Newegg their official listings. Spoke to an Amazon rep who confirmed also. I was trying to find an official confirmation but saw nothing, was going for a 5950x this morning and noticed all that.

twilo99

LMAO

Yea, its really great having to pay double or more for components due to shortages...

I'm talking about the "gaming" and technical aspect, not the building a pc one, that's obviously tricky at the moment.

In terms of games to play and the way they run, I don't think its even been better.

The "gaming" hardware (if you can get it..) today is really amazing.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Amazon, BH, and Newegg their official listings. Spoke to an Amazon rep who confirmed also. I was trying to find an official confirmation but saw nothing, was going for a 5950x this morning and noticed all that.
All three of those sites always sold the CPUS for more than MSRP. Like $10-15 more. I see Newegg just had a "sale" on the 5900x where its OG price for them is $569, but if you use a coupon it brought it down to the original price of $549. In other words, don't believe their hype. It's still $549 and $799 for the 5950x. The 5000 series (apart from the 5900x and 5950) has been in regular stock for month and stock is slowly improving. I can't see them AMD now deciding to officially raise the price on a CPU that's going into month 9 of existence, lol.

ChrisB

All three of those sites always sold the CPUS for more than MSRP. Like $10-15 more. I see Newegg just had a "sale" on the 5900x where its OG price for them is $569, but if you use a coupon it brought it down to the original price of $549. In other words, don't believe their hype. It's still $549 and $799 for the 5950x. The 5000 series (apart from the 5900x and 5950) has been in regular stock for month and stock is slowly improving. I can't see them AMD now deciding to officially raise the price on a CPU that's going into month 9 of existence, lol.
I do builds as a hobby, I and my friends have bought many 59xx CPUs between us (8). Both from BH and Amazon, they’ve always been at MSRP this is the first I’ve seen the retailer listed ones above. It doesn’t make sense to me either hence why I asked the rep. Makes sense the minute I go buy one for myself it goes up though😂

Celcius

°Temp. member
Which power management mode do you guys use in the nvidia drivers - normal or prefer maximum performance?

Once I got a 3080, I canceled my XSX preorder. Do what I did. 😉
Yeah I followed your advice. I cancelled my PS5 pre-order last weekend. I bought myself a nice keyboard and mouse to go with my gaming PC. Will pick up PS5 sometime in future if the exclusives are up my alley and they're not coming to PC. For now though this PC is plenty enough to keep my occupied.

Plus I can now do my photo editing on a beast of a rig.

Don't fret about the cpu, unless your doing any other kind of work on that rig and your not playing your games on low settings at 1080p you'll be hard pressed to ever see a difference. Those lianli fans are so good for cable management, hopefully that catches on. cutting down potentially 12 cables from all over the place to 4 from just 2 fan positions is glorious.
Yeah they are really good and they are surprisingly quiet enough at high speeds. I mean I could run them at 90% and with my headphones off not feel annoyed at the sound. Also its true about cable management and being able to daisy chain them together. I'm surprised not many other manufacturers are hurriedly trying to go this minimalist route.

Klik

Man this sucks, when will GPU's return to normal pricing?

I refuse to give 1000€ for RTX 3070.

And seems that Bitcoin/ETH is on the rise again..

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Laptops have gone up. I was looking at a Lenovo legion 5 for 1k a few months back and that same specced laptop is now 1300. Fuck me.

twilo99

So I finally installed my 4x8GB sticks of cl16 memory and as far as I can tell I've gained quite a few FPS in warzone, so I'm happy with that.

Running stable at 1900 MHz / 3800MHz. Couldn't get it to run at 4000MHz but I don't think the gains there will be significant.

VZgg2NP.jpg

the heatsinks are massive lol

fVYyHNH.jpg

All in all I think I am maxing out the b450 board I have in there and this set should be good until RDNA3 and DDR5 come out

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So my PC died out of nowhere. took it to the shop and they asked me to a buy new mobo. Went to Microcenter to pick up the Z590 but they had so many, I didnt know which one to go with. Picked up this one here.

BTW, They apparently had like 50 3080s get delivered yesterday so they are starting to get regular stock. I also noticed the shelves were full of AMD 6700xts and 3080Tis and 3090s. Of course, they were AiB cards with insane markups. The cheapest 3080 Ti was $1,799 and one of the 3090s was $2,500.

My question is why is this even allowed? Why are AIBs allowed to charge so much for the same exact chip? Why is Nvidia not making these GPUs themselves if they see the AIBs scam their consumers like that.

Even the AMD cards were $900 or above. Like wtf. thats a $500 card.

PhoenixTank

My question is why is this even allowed? Why are AIBs allowed to charge so much for the same exact chip? Why is Nvidia not making these GPUs themselves if they see the AIBs scam their consumers like that.
Part of the elevated pricing at retailers lands at the feet of distributors. They're also responsible for saddling them with other, often poor selling, products as part of a bundle.
GN did a piece on it - Clickbait title/thumb but good info within, imho.

Last edited:

Grumbul

Not sure if anyone can help on this....

The MSI B550 Unify-X comes with both 2x 8pin CPU connectors and a 1x6pin PCIe connector on the board.

I've been led to believe the right hand 8pin CPU is not necessary (outside of extreme o/c's) but its not big deal for me to connect it. What I've not seen before is the 6pin PCIe connector at the bottom of the board. Is this important or just for higher wattage stand-alone GPU's without their own PCIe connectors?

Yerd

Not sure if anyone can help on this....

The MSI B550 Unify-X comes with both 2x 8pin CPU connectors and a 1x6pin PCIe connector on the board.

I've been led to believe the right hand 8pin CPU is not necessary (outside of extreme o/c's) but its not big deal for me to connect it. What I've not seen before is the 6pin PCIe connector at the bottom of the board. Is this important or just for higher wattage stand-alone GPU's without their own PCIe connectors?
Used for dual GPU.

Yerd

Then I am even more confused. If you were to put a second GPU in that bottom lane it would block the 6pin connector...
Could be poor design then, or just poor compatibility with your parts.

"Supplemental PCIe 6-pin Power ConnectorThere is a 6-pin PCIe connector at the bottom of the motherboard (See Page 36for more specifics to the connector itself, and associated wiring/pinouts). This connector provides dedicated power to the PCIe x16 slots, augmenting the power provided by the 24-pin and the GPU directly. This is optional for a single card solution, but is recommended for SLI, CFX, and dual-processor video cards"

Edit: This is an old MB of mine, not specific to you. Check your mb docs.

Last edited:

Grumbul

Could be poor design then, or just poor compatibility with your parts.

"Supplemental PCIe 6-pin Power ConnectorThere is a 6-pin PCIe connector at the bottom of the motherboard (See Page 36for more specifics to the connector itself, and associated wiring/pinouts). This connector provides dedicated power to the PCIe x16 slots, augmenting the power provided by the 24-pin and the GPU directly. This is optional for a single card solution, but is recommended for SLI, CFX, and dual-processor video cards"

Edit: This is an old MB of mine, not specific to you. Check your mb docs.
Sort of the point in asking here!

The mobo docs aren't explaining this.

It's actually a non-SLI board and now I think about it that lane is chipset linked running at X4 so you wouldn't even put a GPU in there anyway.

Yerd

Sort of the point in asking here!

The mobo docs aren't explaining this.

It's actually a non-SLI board and now I think about it that lane is chipset linked running at X4 so you wouldn't even put a GPU in there anyway.
Whatever the case is, it's supplemental power. There's no new specifications that require more power connecters to MBs, that I'm aware of. It's still the same as any other MB. Is there something special about that board that makes it different than others? Does it have more slots or something?

GreatnessRD

$379 for the 6600 XT just don't sit right with me. Especially since the AIB's gonna upcharge this 1080p card to at least $500. Regardless, it should still sell well for those in desperate need for a card. Who copping one?

TheContact

I’m slowly putting together pc parts I can find for the next BF game. My pc is from 2016 and has a 1070 so it’s time for an upgrade. It’s still hard to find a gpu tho

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yeah I followed your advice. I cancelled my PS5 pre-order last weekend. I bought myself a nice keyboard and mouse to go with my gaming PC. Will pick up PS5 sometime in future if the exclusives are up my alley and they're not coming to PC. For now though this PC is plenty enough to keep my occupied.

Plus I can now do my photo editing on a beast of a rig.
The PS5 has been out for over 9 months. How did you cancel a “preorder?”

TheContact

i'm pretty close to just buying a prebuilt that has the gpu i want already in it since i'm having a bitch of a time trying to find one in stock somewhere

nemiroff

Gold Member
i'm pretty close to just buying a prebuilt that has the gpu i want already in it since i'm having a bitch of a time trying to find one in stock somewhere

That's what I did when I finally caved a couple of weeks ago.. It was the only way I could get my hands on a 3080 (except scalpers, which is a BIG NO-NO). But it was a custom pre-build where I got to choose each component myself, so I'm very happy - Except that I regret my 5950x overkill..

TheContact

That's what I did when I finally caved a couple of weeks ago.. It was the only way I could get my hands on a 3080 (except scalpers, which is a BIG NO-NO). But it was a custom pre-build where I got to choose each component myself, so I'm very happy - Except that I regret my 5950x overkill..

its almost like getting scalped because it’s like a $600 markup if I bought each of the parts from the custom build on ibuypower and just put it together myself. And it’s hard to “overkill” a cpu, even if you don’t max it out or do a lot of video processing, it’s still super future proof

amigastar

Hey there guys,
i just bought a new PC with a RTX 2060, do you guys think it will serve me well for the next 2 years, when i'm planning to upgrade my Graphics Card by then?

fatty

Hi guys, need some advice (haven't built for about 7 years).

I already have this Micro ATX case:

Looks like Microcenter has the AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz Eight-Core AM4 Processor on sale for $360 (https://slickdeals.net/f/15192259-a...4-processor-360-free-store-pickup#commentsBox)

And I was looking at picking that up along with this motherboard:

GIGABYTE B550M AORUS PRO (AM4 AMD/B550/Micro ATX/Dual M.2/SATA 6Gb/s/USB 3.2 Gen 2/PCIe 4.0/HDMI/DVI/DDR4/Motherboard

Would this be a pretty good combo? Will I need a CPU cooler?

(I'm just a novice with this stuff so any comments are appreciated)

GreatnessRD

Hi guys, need some advice (haven't built for about 7 years).

I already have this Micro ATX case:

Looks like Microcenter has the AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz Eight-Core AM4 Processor on sale for $360 (https://slickdeals.net/f/15192259-a...4-processor-360-free-store-pickup#commentsBox)

And I was looking at picking that up along with this motherboard:

GIGABYTE B550M AORUS PRO (AM4 AMD/B550/Micro ATX/Dual M.2/SATA 6Gb/s/USB 3.2 Gen 2/PCIe 4.0/HDMI/DVI/DDR4/Motherboard

Would this be a pretty good combo? Will I need a CPU cooler?

(I'm just a novice with this stuff so any comments are appreciated)
Looks like a fun time! And yes, you'll need a cooler as the 5800x doesn't come with one. I'd recommend an AIO or if you're like me, grab an air cooler something like the Noctua NH-D15/ be quiet Dark Rock 4. I hear the 5800 gets pretty toasty.

It looks really good and it will certainly keep things cool, I just like to keep things as quiet as possible so I tend to go for as fewer fans as possible lol

Your alienware monitor inspired me so I'm upgrading as well lol not as cool as yours, but my 6800xt can maintain 165fps in most games I play so I decided to take full advantage with a 165hz monitor. It has freesync as well so it should help with warzone.

Dell S2721DGF 27" Gaming IPS QHD FreeSync and G-SYNC compatible monitor with HDR (DisplayPort, HDMI) DCY89 - Best Buy
Just as a follow on now that I am a few weeks in.

No issues with any of the parts thank god, everything working without a hitch.

One interesting this is how "spikey" these zen chips are in terms of voltage and heat and clock speed, they really tend to jump all over the place( I was so used to my 2600k running at a set 4.5). It took me a while to get my fan curves to a good spot. It was driving me crazy how they kept spinning up to 100% for a few seconds whenever the zen spiked in voltage or temp.

fatty

What have you guys been doing for an OS (Win 10)?

Newegg has Win 10 home on sale for $89.99 for the next couple of days. But I was also looking an purchasing a key from an online dealer. They are pretty cheap, but I want to make sure I get one from a respectable dealer.

Any experience with this?

Looks like a fun time! And yes, you'll need a cooler as the 5800x doesn't come with one. I'd recommend an AIO or if you're like me, grab an air cooler something like the Noctua NH-D15/ be quiet Dark Rock 4. I hear the 5800 gets pretty toasty.

Thanks. I started looking into the coolers and saw that those can run me an additional $100.

So at the last moment at Microcenter I ended up going with the 3700X instead. I got it for $240 and it comes with a heat sink fan. I won’t be doing intense gaming or video editing so I figure this is good enough for me.

Top Bottom