• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2021. Sold Out Edition.

twilo99

$615 dell prime day price - $120 Amex Dell Credit - $60 Rakuten cash back. = $435. Wasnt even in my build list but when that deal popped it was a no brainer.

Here we go, first look:

YObhnXH.jpg

Awesome.

You can never have too good of a cooling solution, but I feel like you can likely get away with just the exhaust fan on the back of the case if you wanted to. Great looking build tho, enjoy

twilo99

Thanks for the feedback. Held off on the 10700KF. I do like that the AMD CPUs also come with coolers.

I just got a 5600x a few weeks ago and its been running very well. Upgraded from a 3600 and games do run much better on the 5600x overall.

Its amazing how much AMD were able squeeze out of a 65W part.. for me that's the most impressive bit

Last edited:
Awesome.

You can never have too good of a cooling solution, but I feel like you can likely get away with just the exhaust fan on the back of the case if you wanted to. Great looking build tho, enjoy
I have another 120 for the top but right now only one fits because of the power input on the top left hand side of the motherboard.
So I have the 2 140s pulling in on the kraken, a 120 pushing out on the back and a 120 pushing out on top. I’ll see how that goes. I’m happy enough that everything worked on first boot so I’m not sure if I want to start making any changes yet.

Last edited:

Xander3116

So question, i have a 3600x and i plan on getting a rx 6800 xt when i can get my hands on one, is that cpu good enough for a 6800xt or should i get something better?

GreatnessRD

So question, i have a 3600x and i plan on getting a rx 6800 xt when i can get my hands on one, is that cpu good enough for a 6800xt or should i get something better?
It's good enough, but if you can squeeze it, the 5600x would be the ultimate choice. Especially if you're just gaming. If you're near a Microcenter, they're selling them for $279.99 or at least in my area.

Hey all!
So, after putting it on hold for some time, and getting info on components (thanks to whoever pointed me towards the linustechtips forums), I'm finally going to make a new machine soon; I'd like to put the order sometime next week so it arrives during my days off at the end of the month, but I'm going to ask for some advice here first.
I'm going to get something pre-built because I can't be arsed to do it myself anymore, and because I have more money to pay for it than time to do it anyway; problem is, the choice for some components, mainly the case, is very limited. And as they strictly sell pre-built systems, they only have OEM processors and don't have the stock coolers.

Here's what I'm going for:
  • Ryzen 5600X
  • Deepcool Gammaxx C40 (that's the default cooler they use for their low-end builds, 92mm, 130W TDP; should be enough for a 5600?)
  • ASUS TUF-RX6700XT-O12G-GAMING (a bit overkill for my current needs, but at least it's in stock, and I'd rather get something bigger now and be "safe" for future games)
  • ASUS TUF B550-PLUS GAMING (upgrading from their default B450; I could also take a Strix instead but I don't really need the extras on it, like wi-fi or the extra USB 3.0)
  • 16 GB DDR4-RAM, Dual Channel (2x 8 GB), 3200 MHz, Kingston HyperX Fury BLACK Series (only CL 17, if that matters; still muuuch better than what I currently have)
  • 1000 GB M.2 PCIe SSD Kingston NV1 (my first SSD, I don't know much about those; the PCIe ones seem to be much faster than SATA, but cost the same? Am I missing something?)
  • case: CSL Apollon (that's where I'm a bit disappointed, if not suspicious, as I can't really find any reviews. Looks-wise it's... meh, but it will be sitting under my desk anyway, and worst case (ha!) if it has super bad airflow or something I can easily get a batter one and migrate everything. It does come with 2 fans on the front though, which is 2 more than most cases I see)
  • Corsair TX650M, 89 % Efficiency, 80 Plus Gold (according to various simulators on PSU manufacturers' sites; 650W should be more than enough, especially Gold. If I was building it myself I'd have chosen a fully modular one, but... not my problem this time around :p)
All of that for a bit less than 1700€, to which I'll have to add the cost of the OS (gosh, guess I'll need to get a 8GB USB key somewhere and a 2€ license key again). What do you all think? Is there anything I should change, like an obviously bad model or brand?
So, since no one replied... either nobody cares, or there's no issue? I'd really like to buy the stuff later this week...

GreatnessRD

So, since no one replied... either nobody cares, or there's no issue? I'd really like to buy the stuff later this week...
Looks pretty good to me, pley-boi. Enjoy the PC when it comes. Only thing I'd personally change would be a 120mm cooler. But with the 5600x being a 65w CPU, you should still be just fine.

Looks pretty good to me, pley-boi. Enjoy the PC when it comes. Only thing I'd personally change would be a 120mm cooler. But with the 5600x being a 65w CPU, you should still be just fine.
Thanks; I would definitely have changed it for something with more oomph if I was planning on getting a bigger CPU, but the stock cooler for the 5600X isn't that good either and people say it's enough, so I think this one should do just fine.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

I think it looks good, I might recommend going 32GB of ram. I mean you system is pretty high end you might as well go for 32. Im still on 16 but if I built a new gaming PC now I would go 32 just for a bit of future proofing.

EDIT - just saw that its a pre built. Looks good!

Last edited:
I think it looks good, I might recommend going 32GB of ram. I mean you system is pretty high end you might as well go for 32. Im still on 16 but if I built a new gaming PC now I would go 32 just for a bit of future proofing.

EDIT - just saw that its a pre built. Looks good!
It's a pre built but I can still switch a few components around. I already changed the MB, took a stronger PSU, and a bigger SSD.
That being said, I don't see myself needing 32GB of ram anytime soon; and when I do, it's probably the easiest part to change anyway.

twilo99

Thanks; I would definitely have changed it for something with more oomph if I was planning on getting a bigger CPU, but the stock cooler for the 5600X isn't that good either and people say it's enough, so I think this one should do just fine.

The 5600x runs kind of hot, but I did some research and I guess that's normal. I'm running it with this cooler and a single 120mm exhaust fan out the back. Idles around 40c and hits 85c under continuous full load.

Not a single crash since I've had it. It runs great.

Last edited:

twilo99

I have another 120 for the top but right now only one fits because of the power input on the top left hand side of the motherboard.
So I have the 2 140s pulling in on the kraken, a 120 pushing out on the back and a 120 pushing out on top. I’ll see how that goes. I’m happy enough that everything worked on first boot so I’m not sure if I want to start making any changes yet.

It looks really good and it will certainly keep things cool, I just like to keep things as quiet as possible so I tend to go for as fewer fans as possible lol

Your alienware monitor inspired me so I'm upgrading as well lol not as cool as yours, but my 6800xt can maintain 165fps in most games I play so I decided to take full advantage with a 165hz monitor. It has freesync as well so it should help with warzone.

Dell S2721DGF 27" Gaming IPS QHD FreeSync and G-SYNC compatible monitor with HDR (DisplayPort, HDMI) DCY89 - Best Buy

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
It looks really good and it will certainly keep things cool, I just like to keep things as quiet as possible so I tend to go for as fewer fans as possible lol

Your alienware monitor inspired me so I'm upgrading as well lol not as cool as yours, but my 6800xt can maintain 165fps in most games I play so I decided to take full advantage with a 165hz monitor. It has freesync as well so it should help with warzone.

Dell S2721DGF 27" Gaming IPS QHD FreeSync and G-SYNC compatible monitor with HDR (DisplayPort, HDMI) DCY89 - Best Buy
another victim to dell. rip.

Kerrinck

Is there anyway to build a decent pc on a $500 budget?
I already have a series X so it would be mostly for web browsing, emulation and the ocasional exclusive like baldur's Gate 3

Is there anyway to build a decent pc on a $500 budget?
I already have a series X so it would be mostly for web browsing, emulation and the ocasional exclusive like baldur's Gate 3
500 is not much, but you should be able to make something "decent" for that price. Baldur's Gate 3 doesn't have very high requirements in the first place.
Not even 6 months ago, people were buying pre-builts with a good GPU, keep the card, and sell the rest; if you can still find one and add a second-hand GPU I think it should be within your budget?

EDMIX

500 is not much, but you should be able to make something "decent" for that price. Baldur's Gate 3 doesn't have very high requirements in the first place.
Not even 6 months ago, people were buying pre-builts with a good GPU, keep the card, and sell the rest; if you can still find one and add a second-hand GPU I think it should be within your budget?

Agreed.

That and if they already have a Series X, I'm 99% sure Baldur's Gate 3 when its done will be on there anyway.

nullpoynter

Dell is trash and should be avoided at all cost with their proprietary bullshit. Fuck them slick finessing clowns. :)
That argument can be made for their over priced desktops such as the Alienware, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with their displays. They have some great gaming displays such as the AW2721d. You also can't beat the 3 year warranty you get with them.

Hey all!
So, after putting it on hold for some time, and getting info on components (thanks to whoever pointed me towards the linustechtips forums), I'm finally going to make a new machine soon; I'd like to put the order sometime next week so it arrives during my days off at the end of the month, but I'm going to ask for some advice here first.
I'm going to get something pre-built because I can't be arsed to do it myself anymore, and because I have more money to pay for it than time to do it anyway; problem is, the choice for some components, mainly the case, is very limited. And as they strictly sell pre-built systems, they only have OEM processors and don't have the stock coolers.

Here's what I'm going for:
  • Ryzen 5600X
  • Deepcool Gammaxx C40 (that's the default cooler they use for their low-end builds, 92mm, 130W TDP; should be enough for a 5600?)
  • ASUS TUF-RX6700XT-O12G-GAMING (a bit overkill for my current needs, but at least it's in stock, and I'd rather get something bigger now and be "safe" for future games)
  • ASUS TUF B550-PLUS GAMING (upgrading from their default B450; I could also take a Strix instead but I don't really need the extras on it, like wi-fi or the extra USB 3.0)
  • 16 GB DDR4-RAM, Dual Channel (2x 8 GB), 3200 MHz, Kingston HyperX Fury BLACK Series (only CL 17, if that matters; still muuuch better than what I currently have)
  • 1000 GB M.2 PCIe SSD Kingston NV1 (my first SSD, I don't know much about those; the PCIe ones seem to be much faster than SATA, but cost the same? Am I missing something?)
  • case: CSL Apollon (that's where I'm a bit disappointed, if not suspicious, as I can't really find any reviews. Looks-wise it's... meh, but it will be sitting under my desk anyway, and worst case (ha!) if it has super bad airflow or something I can easily get a batter one and migrate everything. It does come with 2 fans on the front though, which is 2 more than most cases I see)
  • Corsair TX650M, 89 % Efficiency, 80 Plus Gold (according to various simulators on PSU manufacturers' sites; 650W should be more than enough, especially Gold. If I was building it myself I'd have chosen a fully modular one, but... not my problem this time around :p)
All of that for a bit less than 1700€, to which I'll have to add the cost of the OS (gosh, guess I'll need to get a 8GB USB key somewhere and a 2€ license key again). What do you all think? Is there anything I should change, like an obviously bad model or brand?

You're going to love the SSD. Seriously it changes the experience of computing. PC boots up as fast as a SNES.
Windows feature updates installed in under 5 minutes.

You're going to love the SSD. Seriously it changes the experience of computing. PC boots up as fast as a SNES.
Windows feature updates installed in under 5 minutes.
Yeah, a friend told me an SSD was basically something you never knew you needed, but once you try it you can never go back.
And my brother has been telling me to get one repeatedly too, for the same reasons. "Anything else can wait, but get. A. Fucking. SSD. Already".

Kenpachii

Yeah, a friend told me an SSD was basically something you never knew you needed, but once you try it you can never go back.
And my brother has been telling me to get one repeatedly too, for the same reasons. "Anything else can wait, but get. A. Fucking. SSD. Already".

Its true, even in a slow as shit laptop with no hardware in it, drop a SSD in it replace the HDD and boom shit laptop is super responsive the next day.

Flyinmunky

Best gaming monitor under £600?

Thinking about going Ultra Wide or fancy a 32"

Currently on a 1080p 120hz TN monitor with a 1080ti

I game in a dark room so VA seems recommended but Samsung G7 is only one good enough with fast dark transitions but I hate the 1000R curve...

Any VA upcoming with performance like the G7 but Flat?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Best gaming monitor under £600?

Thinking about going Ultra Wide or fancy a 32"

Currently on a 1080p 120hz TN monitor with a 1080ti

I game in a dark room so VA seems recommended but Samsung G7 is only one good enough with fast dark transitions but I hate the 1000R curve...

Any VA upcoming with performance like the G7 but Flat?
I want to say I've heard of Samsung coming out with a flat variant of that monitor some time this year. Check tftcentral and read up on the news section

MikeM

Just want to say that I went into my local Canada Computers and noticed they have 6700XT GPUs on the shelf.

"Great- I can finally build a gaming PC with a solid mid-range card!"

Cost: $1200 CAD +tax.

lol nope.

GreatnessRD

That argument can be made for their over priced desktops such as the Alienware, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with their displays. They have some great gaming displays such as the AW2721d. You also can't beat the 3 year warranty you get with them.

How does this apply to their monitors? :p
It probably doesn't, but I still loathe Dell. Rtings does state they have solid monitors, however, its still fuck Dell, lol.

Changing subjects. I sold my 3060 Ti at cost to a family member. Now I'm wondering if I should buy the 5800x since its on sale for $380 at Microcenter or wait a while longer. Such decisions are so unfair!

twilo99

It probably doesn't, but I still loathe Dell. Rtings does state they have solid monitors, however, its still fuck Dell, lol.

Changing subjects. I sold my 3060 Ti at cost to a family member. Now I'm wondering if I should buy the 5800x since its on sale for $380 at Microcenter or wait a while longer. Such decisions are so unfair!

What did you replace the 3060ti with?

and ye.. Dell/Alienware monitors are very good overall. I am not sure who they use for the actual display, I remember reading they were using Sharp panels but not sure.

GreatnessRD

What did you replace the 3060ti with?

and ye.. Dell/Alienware monitors are very good overall. I am not sure who they use for the actual display, I remember reading they were using Sharp panels but not sure.
I was able to grab the GPU I originally wanted a month ago, the reference 6800 XT off AMD's website. Was gonna use the 3060 Ti as a HTPC, but my cousin was on his way to Microcenter to blow 1k on that 3070 Ti, so I said "lol, no" just take this 3060 Ti for $500.

Kenpachii

Prices seem to come further down 3080's are 1200 here now from 1400 2 weeks ago, and 2000 2 months ago.

At this pace, the normal prices will return probably in a few months.

Just want to say that I went into my local Canada Computers and noticed they have 6700XT GPUs on the shelf.

"Great- I can finally build a gaming PC with a solid mid-range card!"

Cost: $1200 CAD +tax.

lol nope.

Same shit here, 3090's and 3080's and 3070's on the shelves but 2x the price.

Last edited:

WizeVibez

Banned
Grabbed an overpriced 6700xt and so far I'm happy with it. Seems like a great 1440 GPU and it's really improved my VR gaming.

OMG I love my new PC

i7 10700KF (watercooled)
Asus Rog Strix RTX 3080 - EDIT: Already did small overclock to get GPU to 2GHz)
32GB Ram
1TB NVME SSD
All wrapped in Lian Li 011 Dynamic Mini with RGB Lian Li Uni Fans

Just installed Cyberpunk yesterday and it's running everything at max @ 1440p and 4K with ease. I've never known such fucking power. I've been out of the PC game for years now but now I'm just so fucking stoked.

Still got my PS5 on the way next month. Am I even going to buy games for that console when I have this 😂

Last edited:

Excess

OMG I love my new PC

i7 10700KF (watercooled)
Asus Rog Strix RTX 3080 - EDIT: Already did small overclock to get GPU to 2GHz)
32GB Ram
1TB NVME SSD
All wrapped in Lian Li 011 Dynamic Mini with RGB Lian Li Uni Fans

Just installed Cyberpunk yesterday and it's running everything at max @ 1440p and 4K with ease. I've never known such fucking power. I've been out of the PC game for years now but now I'm just so fucking stoked.

Still got my PS5 on the way next month. Am I even going to buy games for that console when I have this 😂
Once I got a 3080, I canceled my XSX preorder. Do what I did. 😉

The 10700KF is a solid CPU and is really the best bang for buck an Intel CPU has had in quite some time.

Before I consider Intel again, I want to see how good the upcoming Alder Lake chipset will be.
This one reminds me of the Intel i5 2500K back in the day. I had one in my last gaming PC and it was a fucking beast. One of the more popular CPU's back then for gamers.

Once I got a 3080, I canceled my XSX preorder. Do what I did. 😉
Bro I've been contemplating this past week of doing the same thing. BUT... i have like 120+ PS4 games In my library.
Everytime I want to pick up the phone to ring the store to cancel my PS5 order, I think of them games lol.
My partner also doesn't want me to cancel the PS5 even though I've got this beast of a PC.
I've still got a few weeks to go until that PS5 shipment arrives so got time to decide.

I'm sometimes a very undecided person. Takes me ages to make up my mind but i still have time.

Also having PC now lets me get back into Xbox games so yeah its a win for me on that front too.

nullpoynter

Bro I've been contemplating this past week of doing the same thing. BUT... i have like 120+ PS4 games In my library.
Everytime I want to pick up the phone to ring the store to cancel my PS5 order, I think of them games lol.
My partner also doesn't want me to cancel the PS5 even though I've got this beast of a PC.
I've still got a few weeks to go until that PS5 shipment arrives so got time to decide.

I'm sometimes a very undecided person. Takes me ages to make up my mind but i still have time.

Also having PC now lets me get back into Xbox games so yeah its a win for me on that front too.
After building my high-end PC and scoring an EVGA RTX 3080, I still purchased a PS5 to enjoy all the Sony exclusives. I don't regret it one bit. I was definitely able to eliminate the need for an Xbox and their Gold subscription since I can play those type of games on the PC.

Tygeezy

After building my high-end PC and scoring an EVGA RTX 3080, I still purchased a PS5 to enjoy all the Sony exclusives. I don't regret it one bit. I was definitely able to eliminate the need for an Xbox and their Gold subscription since I can play those type of games on the PC.
The series x is till very good hardware for the price that can act as a second pc in a way. I'm still rocking a 2070 super and have been unable to get a 3080 so I picked a a series x. Quick resume is a feature I wish pc had as you can jump right back into a game in seconds and quite a few games support mouse and keyboard. I've been able to get a ps5 and series x but the 3080 still is just unobtainable for me. At this point I feel like just waiting for the successor since the 2070 super is doing quite well even with pcvr.

twilo99

I was able to grab the GPU I originally wanted a month ago, the reference 6800 XT off AMD's website. Was gonna use the 3060 Ti as a HTPC, but my cousin was on his way to Microcenter to blow 1k on that 3070 Ti, so I said "lol, no" just take this 3060 Ti for $500.

Huge upgrade from the 3060ti.

I tried to get one from their website for like 2 months and no luck.. it so random I gave up and went with a used XFX, which is supposed to have better cooling I guess but I did pay $900 for it so there is that.

GreatnessRD

Huge upgrade from the 3060ti.

I tried to get one from their website for like 2 months and no luck.. it so random I gave up and went with a used XFX, which is supposed to have better cooling I guess but I did pay $900 for it so there is that.
Yes, definitely an upgrade and I'm overall happy with it no question. AMD's website is an extreme clusterfuck with Digital River as their distributor. But at least they get the product delivered rather quick when you are one of the lucky ones to place an order. And you made out with the XFX because I love the style of their 6000 cards, but I knew I couldn't own one. I had a hard time justifying to myself spending the $650 on the reference card let alone $900-1000 on the AIB's, lol. Glad you got one though!

I'm just jelly I didn't manage to get an AMD Ryzen 9 with my gaming PC. I bought pre-built cause I just don't have time or energy to be fucking around with thousand pieces needed to put a rig together and I can be clumsy sometimes so I don't wanna risk fucking up an RTX 3080 in the build process.

But it gives me comfort knowing the Intel i7 10700KF is a good CPU for the money. Also comes watercooled in the build so that's a bonus. I could try a small overclock later to push it along a bit hehe

Also just wanna add: PC MASTER RACE MOTHERFUCKERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😂😂😂

Sorry had to get that out. I'm stoked to be back on PC

Last edited:

twilo99

Yes, definitely an upgrade and I'm overall happy with it no question. AMD's website is an extreme clusterfuck with Digital River as their distributor. But at least they get the product delivered rather quick when you are one of the lucky ones to place an order. And you made out with the XFX because I love the style of their 6000 cards, but I knew I couldn't own one. I had a hard time justifying to myself spending the $650 on the reference card let alone $900-1000 on the AIB's, lol. Glad you got one though!

They are all overpriced. I really don't know how they convinced all of us that $700+ for a GPU is "normal" .,. sort of like Apple made the $1000 smartphone a thing. That's why I think the series x is amazing value at this point if you want to game and browse the web lol

Either way, enjoy the 6800xt, its a little monster.

and since you like Dell.. check it out :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

hlm666

I'm just jelly I didn't manage to get an AMD Ryzen 9 with my gaming PC. I bought pre-built cause I just don't have time or energy to be fucking around with thousand pieces needed to put a rig together and I can be clumsy sometimes so I don't wanna risk fucking up an RTX 3080 in the build process.

But it gives me comfort knowing the Intel i7 10700KF is a good CPU for the money. Also comes watercooled in the build so that's a bonus. I could try a small overclock later to push it along a bit hehe

Also just wanna add: PC MASTER RACE MOTHERFUCKERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😂😂😂

Sorry had to get that out. I'm stoked to be back on PC
Don't fret about the cpu, unless your doing any other kind of work on that rig and your not playing your games on low settings at 1080p you'll be hard pressed to ever see a difference. Those lianli fans are so good for cable management, hopefully that catches on. cutting down potentially 12 cables from all over the place to 4 from just 2 fan positions is glorious.

Top Bottom