• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2020. Ray Tracing. 120Hz-360Hz. Next-Gen Already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

McHuj

Got about 12 meters from my PC to my living room, want to hook up my PC to my LG OLED, but i have read about singal loss/degarding quality with longer hdmi cables, would me buying a active repeater and two shorter cables be perferable to one long? main goal is to output at 4k without signal loss.

I've actually been researching this myself. I need to go about the same distance (~30 feet).

Do you have the HDMI 2.1 TV? I think you will need something that is fiber optic (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V7NNVJG/?tag=neogaf0e-20). Basically, I think you want a cable that can do 8k/60 or 4k/120 Hz and you should be good.

I've actually been researching this myself. I need to go about the same distance (~30 feet).

Do you have the HDMI 2.1 TV? I think you will need something that is fiber optic (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V7NNVJG/?tag=neogaf0e-20). Basically, I think you want a cable that can do 8k/60 or 4k/120 Hz and you should be good.

Yep, got a 2.1 oled lg, just wondering cost wise, a 15 meter fiber optic cable that supports 2.1 costs 300 dollars in my country, so maybe i will check out active repaters 🤔

I can acutally buy two 8 meter 2.1 cables, pluss a switch/repeater that support 4k60hz for a cheaper price

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Ok yeah I asked because my mobo isn’t the sexiest and I’m reading that ryzen CPUs are fussy with memory. I’m just wondering if I’m gonna be able to throw another set of identical 8gb sticks in there and maintain the same speeds without running into issues.
Honestly hard to say. 4x8GB should go a lot nicer for you than 4x16GB... but I also haven't touched Zen1/+ with more than two sticks before.
Your board QVL does seem to say that 2 or 4 dimms are fine for 8GB, but I get where you're coming from regarding the moderate sexiness.

GHG GHG Do you have hands on with this scenario? You were recommending this route so I'm hoping you can make up for my ignorance :messenger_bicep:

GHG

Gold Member
Honestly hard to say. 4x8GB should go a lot nicer for you than 4x16GB... but I also haven't touched Zen1/+ with more than two sticks before.
Your board QVL does seem to say that 2 or 4 dimms are fine for 8GB, but I get where you're coming from regarding the moderate sexiness.

GHG GHG Do you have hands on with this scenario? You were recommending this route so I'm hoping you can make up for my ignorance :messenger_bicep:

Ok yeah I asked because my mobo isn’t the sexiest and I’m reading that ryzen CPUs are fussy with memory. I’m just wondering if I’m gonna be able to throw another set of identical 8gb sticks in there and maintain the same speeds without running into issues.

An extra 2 8GB sticks shouldn't have much or any impact on speed with modern Ryzen CPU's.

The only time you might see a slight improvement in certain applications is if you go with 2 sticks of dual rank RAM (where each stick is 16GB and above), but even then we are talking low single digit percentage increases.

As long as the sticks are from the same manufacturer (Hynix/Micron/Samsung), have the same default speeds and same latencies there shouldn't be any issues.

PhoenixTank

An extra 2 8GB sticks shouldn't have much or any impact on speed with modern Ryzen CPU's.

The only time you might see a slight improvement in certain applications is if you go with 2 sticks of dual rank RAM (where each stick is 16GB and above), but even then we are talking low single digit percentage increases.
Not trying to argue below - just vomiting my thoughts.
My understanding is that having two single rank sticks daisy chained makes each channel dual rank, and basically equivalent to having one dual rank stick in each channel.
i.e. 4x8GB for the former and 2x16GB for the latter.
Thus getting you rank interleaving for a very modest efficiency boost in both cases but theoretically the extra electrical length of the former results in less stability at a given speed & timings than the latter.
In practice, I don't know how much of a problem that poses for Ryzen 2000 and below.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

mr.dilya

Banned
I'm gonna exchange the Gskill ram for the Team Vulcan ram and post my results after....I'm leaving the XMP settings alone right?

GHG

Gold Member
Not trying to argue below - just vomiting my thoughts.
My understanding is that having two single rank sticks daisy chained makes each channel dual rank, and basically equivalent to having one dual rank stick in each channel.
i.e. 4x8GB for the former and 2x16GB for the latter.
Thus getting you rank interleaving for a very modest efficiency boost in both cases but theoretically the extra electrical length of the former results in less stability at a given speed & timings than the latter.
In practice, I don't know how much of a problem that poses for Ryzen 2000 and below.

No I think you are correct in your thoughts, only caveat is that it depends on whether the motherboard is t-topology or daisy chain when 4 sticks are present. If you have just 2 sticks of higher capacity dual rank rank RAM however it doesn't matter, you will get the benefits regardless of what mode your motherboard runs in.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
My current specs are as follows:

1. i7-5820K
2. Asus X99 Deluxe motherboard
3. 8 x 4GB Crucial 2400MHz DDR4 RAM
4. EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming graphics card
5. Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA SSD (Windows 10)
6. Sabrent Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0 2TB SSD (Games from Steam and EA Origins)
7. Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD (video-editing files)
8. Western Digital Blue 6TB and 4TB HDD (Blu-ray rips, RAW photos, and video-editing files)
9. Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG
10. TCL 55R635 (55" 4K TV; 120Hz @ 1440p and 60Hz @ 4K)

How much of an improvement in gaming performance and video-editing would I experience if I were to replace the CPU, motherboard, and RAM with the following components?

1. Ryzen 9 5950X

2. Asus ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Formula ATX Motherboard

3. G.Skill G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64GB (2 x 32GB)

---------------

Would I be better off in the short term just overclocking my CPU and buying only the faster RAM?

mansoor1980

CORE I5 9400F
16 GB DDR4 2666MHZ
LEXAR 256GB SATA M2 SSD
SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200 1 TB HDD
GIGABYTE H310M MOTHERBOARD
THERMAL TAKE VERSA N26 CASING
THERMAL TAKE 550WATT PSU[got a used one ]
still waiting for the gpu decision........... shud i get the 2060 super now or wait for the 3060

and im a new member so hi GAF

longdi

Banned

1. i7-5820K
8. Western Digital Blue 6TB and 4TB HDD (Blu-ray rips, RAW photos, and video-editing files)

How much of an improvement in gaming performance and video-editing would I experience if I were to replace the CPU, motherboard, and RAM with the following components?

1. Ryzen 9 5950X

---------------

Would I be better off in the short term just overclocking my CPU and buying only the faster RAM?

Yes you will get a very substantial improvement with 5950X
Far beyond an overclocked 5820K can do, which i assume will hit around 4.5Ghz.

I went from 4.5G 5960X to 3950X, and even old PC titles got 25% uplift in minimum fps. :messenger_open_mouth:
I suspect a 5950X will give you an all round 100% gaming uplift, over your stock 5820K.

Video editing? Shit will fly on 5950X.

longdi

Banned
CORE I5 9400F
16 GB DDR4 2666MHZ
LEXAR 256GB SATA M2 SSD
still waiting for the gpu decision........... shud i get the 2060 super now or wait for the 3060

Hi,
Just wait for it. No rush.
Though i will budget for a brand new 650W PSU.
Dont skimp on PSU, it may cause instabilty or kill your PC outright

GHG

Gold Member
CORE I5 9400F
16 GB DDR4 2666MHZ
LEXAR 256GB SATA M2 SSD

Wait.

Also is there a reason you're going with an Intel build? What's your budget?

Darkone

Got about 12 meters from my PC to my living room, want to hook up my PC to my LG OLED, but i have read about singal loss/degarding quality with longer hdmi cables, would me buying a active repeater and two shorter cables be perferable to one long? main goal is to output at 4k without signal loss.

Wondering what you decided to do?
I am almost 2 years using a long HDMI cable from my PC to the OLED, it is quite a hassle to always connect & disconnect the cable when I finish playing (cannot keep the cable in the living room connected).
I want a repeater as well to save me the trouble of always connecting & disconnecting the cable but with the new 2.1 HDMI I don`t think there are models that support it (I did not find any).
keep in mind if you want to use the HDR you will need the repeater to support HDR.

mansoor1980

Wait.

Also is there a reason you're going with an Intel build? What's your budget?
well im in a 3rd world country and AMD is a bit expensive here....the mother boards especially.
the remaining budget is there for a new PSU and a decent GPU [3060 hopefully]
but yeah im a bit worried about the lack of PCI EXPRESS 4 and the fact that just 6 cores without hyperthreading might turn into a bottleneck

longdi

Banned
650 watt PSU......for a 3060......really?

Oh yes a good 500W PSU is enough for 3060 in your suggested specs.
It is just that 650W can allows you more leeway to upgrade to a 3070Ti or Amd equivalent, and also new CPU, should you have the openings.

mansoor1980

Oh yes a good 500W PSU is enough for 3060 in your suggested specs.
It is just that 650W can allows you more leeway to upgrade to a 3070Ti or Amd equivalent, and also new CPU, should you have the openings.
ok if u say so........but i am worried if my CPU and M2 SSD will become an issue since the next gen CPUs have more cores and better ssds

longdi

Banned
ok if u say so........but i am worried if my CPU and M2 SSD will become an issue since the next gen CPUs have more cores and better ssds

Well if you source for a 3600 + B550M, it will be better for sure.
Have you look at amazon global shipping, it may possibly be cheaper to get B550M from there.
There is also a rumored 5600 Ryzen early next year that Amd will price aggressively.
That should be clearly better than 9400F in games. Though the 9400F will be pretty good, at least better than the outgoing consoles.

What are you upgrading from?

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Well if you source for a 3600 + B550M, it will be better for sure.
Have you look at amazon global shipping, it may possibly be cheaper to get B550M from there.
There is also a rumored 5600 Ryzen early next year that Amd will price aggressively.
That should be clearly better than 9400F in games. Though the 9400F will be pretty good, at least better than the outgoing consoles.

What are you upgrading from?
CORE I5 2400f
8 GB DDR3 1333MHZ
GTX 1060
INTEL DH61 BE AND A7200 HDD.......

mansoor1980

i keep thinking that the 9400f shud be pretty gud since i dont care about 120 fps.......a consistent 60fps at ultra detail level is gud enough for me...........the desktop 6 core CPU shud be at least faster than than the CPUs in consoles......

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
CORE I5 2400f
8 GB DDR3 1333MHZ
GTX 1060
INTEL DH61 BE AND A7200 HDD.......

9400F will be a big upgrade.
That said, i will wait a bit more, increase the funds, and get at least a 5600 + B550M and a pcie ssd.
9400F + h310M + sata ssd, are just lingering no where to place your funds to, unless you can get them real cheaper.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

9400F will be a big upgrade.
That said, i will wait a bit more, increase the funds, and get at least a 5600 + B550M and a pcie ssd.
9400F + h310M + sata ssd, are just lingering no where to place your funds to.
i have these parts already .........assembled into a casing.......

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

1. i7-5820K

1. Ryzen 9 5950X

---------------

You would get a nice improvement and one that I highly recommend.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
CORE I5 9400F
16 GB DDR4 2666MHZ
LEXAR 256GB SATA M2 SSD

The 2060 Super is a card you should NEVER get. Its a $400 card and loses every gaming benchmark to the similarly priced 5700XT from AMD.

mansoor1980

Witcher 3 with mods is the most impressive looking open world game to date. You gonna love it.
[/QUOTE
played it on my previous rig but unmodded and my core i5 2400 was not really good with frametimes.............now with this rig and hopefully a decent GPU will gud smooth fps with heavy mods.......and cyberpunk 2077

Ceadeus

Hi, I would need some advice on the PC i'm currently building.

My objective are Rift S gaming at 80fps for Alix on Ultra. Then 1080p60fps RTX on.

I went for: Asus Prime MB Z390-A 219$CAN
i5-9600K 269$CAN
Asus RTX2060 Super 8Gb 500$CAN
G Skills 2x8gb 3200mhz 120$CAN
WD Black SSD 500gb 85$CAN
Gigabyte 550w Bronze 80$CAN

I'm really looking for the best budget/performance price range.

longdi

Banned
Hi, I would need some advice on the PC i'm currently building.

My objective are Rift S gaming at 80fps for Alix on Ultra. Then 1080p60fps RTX on.

I went for: Asus Prime MB Z390-A 219$CAN
i5-9600K 269$CAN
Asus RTX2060 Super 8Gb 500$CAN
G Skills 2x8gb 3200mhz 120$CAN
WD Black SSD 500gb 85$CAN
Gigabyte 550w Bronze 80$CAN

I'm really looking for the best budget/performance price range.

just wait for ryzen 5000 benchmarks
And wait for 3060/3070 rx6800.

Everything will be clear in a months time.
Though standby to buy, except shortages.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
PC, RTX 2070 Super and a Ryzen 3700 X. Got it for an absolute steal on Black Friday for cheaper than I could have built it myself.

Rocking a 1440p 144hz screen to go along with it.

Only downside is that the SSD is only 256 gigs. Running games like Odyssey of the HDD is painfully slow.

Instead of upgrading it I preordered a XSX because I wanted something to play games on with my new 4K TV.

I have a Switch as well, which mainly gets used for Jackbox and Mariokart and occasional drunk Smash Brothers these days.

Last edited:
Wondering what you decided to do?
I am almost 2 years using a long HDMI cable from my PC to the OLED, it is quite a hassle to always connect & disconnect the cable when I finish playing (cannot keep the cable in the living room connected).
I want a repeater as well to save me the trouble of always connecting & disconnecting the cable but with the new 2.1 HDMI I don`t think there are models that support it (I did not find any).
keep in mind if you want to use the HDR you will need the repeater to support HDR.

You are right, i found no repeaters that support 2.1, i decided to not do anything because of the cost involved in my country with a fiber optic cable, i found out i had an old hdmi 2.0 cable that are 15 meters, so i will use that at 1080p for the time being. It seems like such a hassle to find anything that supports the length we are lookin for. Hope you find what you are looking for, if all you have to do is disconnect the cable, i would keep that for now, it could be much worse.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
I read about 12 pages of the thread. Good info and a lot of nice builds in here 👍

So I want to turn my old backup pc into a dedicated emulation/gamepass machine. I'd like to run gamepass games at high quality 60fps but gamepass will be secondary to the role of emulation.

In its current condition it mostly does emulation and gamepass to the levels I want it to however id like to upgrade the mobo/cpu as it's not able to hold 60fps. I was thinking something along the lines of a 3300x (if I can ever find one) or the new i3 10100f. Any other suggestions on a mobo/cpu combo that's great for emulation would be appreciated. Looking at spending around 300.

rofif

Banned
What cables to get for corsair RM750x psu? I've found that corsair sells premium sleeved cabled gen 3 and gen 4 (both type 4 for my psu) and cablemod sells modmesh and modflex cables whatever the difference is.
Does cablemod have built in capacitors ? I should probably wait until either of them will release 12pin for 3080

Last edited:

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
I read about 12 pages of the thread. Good info and a lot of nice builds in here 👍

So I want to turn my old backup pc into a dedicated emulation/gamepass machine. I'd like to run gamepass games at high quality 60fps but gamepass will be secondary to the role of emulation.

In its current condition it mostly does emulation and gamepass to the levels I want it to however id like to upgrade the mobo/cpu as it's not able to hold 60fps. I was thinking something along the lines of a 3300x (if I can ever find one) or the new i3 10100f. Any other suggestions on a mobo/cpu combo that's great for emulation would be appreciated. Looking at spending around 300.

If it helps, I don't want to drop more than 300 on this pc as it already does a decent job at what I want, I just want a little more.

It has an i5 6600k on a z170a gaming motherboard. I'm curious if I should just put the best sub 300 processor in this board or if I should split the cost between a new Mobo/cpu. Something like the 10100f.

Zeus7

Looking for some advice on this part list I am looking to buy. This depends on if I can get a 3070 and the new Ryzen CPU.

I feel like I have gone a bit overkill with the CPU when the model down would be just fine, however the new consoles are 8c/16t so I thought it would be better to match this?

Edit: I know I need a different case also, any recommendations?

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard (£156.98 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£82.79 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Palit GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB GamingPro Video Card (£532.67 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case (£68.86 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£110.39 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Custom: AMD RYZEN 7 5800X EIGHT CORE 4.7GHZ (SOCKET AM4) PROCESSOR (£428.99)
Custom: WD Black SN850 500GB M.2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD/Solid State Drive (£129.95)

Last edited:

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
Looking for some advice on this part list I am looking to buy. This depends on if I can get a 3070 and the new Ryzen CPU.

I feel like I have gone a bit overkill with the CPU when the model down would be just fine, however the new consoles are 8c/16t so I thought it would be better to match this?

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard (£156.98 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£82.79 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Palit GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB GamingPro Video Card (£532.67 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£110.39 @ Overclockers.co.uk)

I say if you're doing a complete build, go with the best you can afford so stick with your cpu choice.

I've heard nothing but rave reviews for this case.

I'll probably get one if I do a new build https://www.microcenter.com/product...-ii-mesh-rgb-full-tower-computer-case---black

PhoenixTank

You're not wrong to want a different case. The H510 is popular but a bit overpriced for what it is, IMHO. Thermals are okay but the side/front intake is pathetic.
You might like the "Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 Mesh". Available in white too but much better airflow on it without being noisy.
Gets covered in this GN video, alongside some others that might provide you with ideas:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
You guys think ~600 EUR will be enough after Zen 3 launch for a decent base components set (to last me like a decade like my 3770K has, lol)? Basically for CPU/Motherboard/Ram. Or are Ram prices nuts these days/still? But the mobo needs to be future proofed with whatever will be necessary for whatever new gaming focused SSDs come along to match console crap or whatever, I won't get one right away and keep my current, but obviously I won't want to change other components when it is time to get one of those. I already have a nice 850w PSU and won't be getting a GPU and other storage and peripherals for another year or two.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

My case recommendations list from earlier in the thread, you should be able to find something suitable from this list:

Depends on what your needs are and how much you're willing to spend. What's your full list of components? In particular how many hard drives do you have?

My general case recommendations are as follows:

Ultimate showcase/aesthetic cases with good airflow capabilities:
  • Lian Li pc-o11 dynamic
  • Antec crystal p120 (the case I have)
  • Thermaltake View 51
  • Corsair crystal 680x

Reasonably priced minimalist design cases with tempered glass side panel cases:
  • Sharkoon PURE steel
  • Deepcool macube 310
  • In Win 303c (if you can find stock)
  • Nzxt H510

Other reasonably priced tempered glass cases:
  • Deepcool mattrex 55
  • Thermaltake V250 tempered glass
  • Thermaltake h200 tempered glass
  • Phanteks P400
  • Cougar Puritans RGB
  • Fractal Design R6 TG (a bit more expensive than the other options)

If you don't give a shit about looks and just want good airflow:
  • Fractal design Meshify C
  • Coolermaster masterbox Q500l
  • Be Quiet pure base 600

---

You guys think ~600 EUR will be enough after Zen 3 launch for a decent base components set (to last me like a decade like my 3770K has, lol)? Basically for CPU/Motherboard/Ram. Or are Ram prices nuts these days/still? But the mobo needs to be future proofed with whatever will be necessary for whatever new gaming focused SSDs come along to match console crap or whatever, I won't get one right away and keep my current, but obviously I won't want to change other components when it is time to get one of those. I already have a nice 850w PSU and won't be getting a GPU and other storage and peripherals for another year or two.

RAM prices are reasonable again but you might still be a bit tight on that budget. A B550 motherboard paired with the 5800X and some decent 3200 C16 RAM and you should be good to go for a very long time.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
RAM prices are reasonable again but you might still be a bit tight on that budget. A B550 motherboard paired with the 5800X and some decent 3200 C16 RAM and you should be good to go for a very long time.
Quick local store price comparison search shows me I can get 16GBx2 3200 ram for ~150 or less from various brands, a B550 MSI Tomahawk motherboard for ~160, will the 5800x be much more than a 3800x which seems to be ~300? Cos if that is a good recommendation it seems viable :D

I can maybe get a bit cheaper ram/mobo, I only did a quick search and listed them by popularity so I'm sure there's cheaper still good choices for the components. Or I could go for 16GB to start with and get another later when I upgrade other stuff like GPU (keeping my 1080 for a while more).

Edit: an MSI MPG X570 seems to be about ~150. Better? Oh and will the 5800x come with an ok fan? Also looks like 5800X will be ~450 so yeah that will take me over budget... Maybe I'll just get an even cheaper 3800X instead... Or just spend a bit more... I'll see when they launch I guess...

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

Any recommendations for solid 144/120 1440p monitors that dnt break the bank. I ike VA panels cause those blacks are awesome. Dont do TN's. IPS's are hit or miss..

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom