• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it is a bit sacrilege here, but are there any websites where I can get a good pre-built PC for not much markup over what the self-built version would cost me?

As far as I know, not really. The best I've seen if you don't want to build it yourself is go to Frys Electronics (I think microcenter does the samething). Buy all your components there (you can price match everything) and they charge $50-$100 to build it completely depending on what you specifically want. That is probably going to be way cheaper than going to say an alien ware or the like.

As far as I know, not really. The best I've seen if you don't want to build it yourself is go to Frys Electronics (I think microcenter does the samething). Buy all your components there (you can price match everything) and they charge $50-$100 to build it completely depending on what you specifically want. That is probably going to be way cheaper than going to say an alien ware or the like.

Oh that sounds good actually. Dunno if I have either of those stores in my area sadly.

Alineware is definitely a ripoff. I was thinking more something not directly marketed towards gamers.

HellaNutella

Neo Member
I know it is a bit sacrilege here, but are there any websites where I can get a good pre-built PC for not much markup over what the self-built version would cost me?

You can order all the parts from ncixus.com and they'll build it and even install windows for 50 USD. I think they guarantee it for a year too.

Any reason you have chosen Haswell parts instead of Skylake? I would get an i7 6700K (even if you aren't overclocking) + Z170 board + DDR4 3200 RAM. You get the features the new platform brings plus high clocked DDR4 which is surely better than old DDR3 1600 Mhz. As for the 1070, it's a good idea to wait for benchmarks but yea, should be a pretty good card @1080p for quite a while a least.

I would go with something like this. You can not get a video card now and maybe wait for the GTX1070. Up to you.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

After checking things out this is what I ended up with. I'm going to hold off on getting a graphics card until either the 1070 is available or older cards go down in price.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($5.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($150.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Asus PB258Q 60Hz 25.0" Monitor ($269.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1223.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-22 17:56 EDT-0400

hohoXD123

I've been trying to do some CPU stress testing, but the temperatures in Core Temp are around 12C higher than the AI Suite software included with my ROG board, which one should I trust?

K' Dash

So, parts are on the way, what started as a MoBo and CPU replacement ended up as a system wide upgrade:

Intel Boxed Core I5-6600K 3.50 GHz
MSI Enthuastic Gaming Intel Z170A
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB G1 GAMING OC EDITION -> Got this one for $429
Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 500 GB SATA -> keeping from old PC
Crucial BX200 240GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive -> Keeping from old PC
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (1151 Socket compatible)

Antec BP550 Plus 550W

About the power suply, I see mixed results on the capability of a 550 PSU runing an OC'd 6600K and a factory OC'd 980ti, if I have to buy this it would be spending close to $200 more, cause electronics are ultra expensive in my country and that thing is too heavy to import. I can run my 2500K @4.5GHz and a Heavily OC'd780 with it, so I was expecting it would hold, any experts advidce?

Oxn

So, parts are on the way, what started as a MoBo and CPU replacement ended up as a system wide upgrade:

Crucial BX200 240GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive -> Keeping from old PC

Antec BP550 Plus 550W

About the power suply, I see mixed results on the capability of a 550 PSU runing an OC'd 6600K and a factory OC'd 980ti, if I have to buy this it would be spending close to $200 more, cause electronics are ultra expensive in my country and that thing is too heavy to import. I can run my 2500K @4.5GHz and a Heavily OC'd780 with it, so I was expecting it would hold, any experts advidce?

I have had that exact same psu for 5 years now, and it has been running just fine, with my OCed 3770k, and a gtx 780, no problem.

I just switched it out for a 750w psu a month ago, for no particular reason, but my antec still works.

Gonna put that in a 2nd build.

Edit: wow its almost $100 on amazon? Back when i bought it, it was $55, and that was just regular price.

faint.

Antec BP550 Plus 550W

Both GPU's are rated at 250 TDP, and the 2500K is 95 TDP compared to the 6600K's 91 TDP, respectively, so you should be fine.

I have had that exact same psu for 5 years now, and it has been running just fine, with my OCed 3770k, and a gtx 780, no problem.

I just switched it out for a 750w psu a month ago, for no particular reason, but my antec still works.

Edit: wow its almost $100 on amazon? Back when i bought it, it was $55, and that was just regular price.

That PSU is really old, so it's "$100" if bought new from Amazon. You could probably buy a used one for about $20. For $100 you can get a solid 750W platinum rated PSU these days.

e: Yup: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B010HWDP48/?tag=neogaf0e-20

9.7 on JohnnyGuru

K' Dash

Both GPU's are rated at 250 TDP, and the 2500K is 95 TDP compared to the 6600K's 91 TDP, respectively, so you should be fine.

That PSU is really old, so it's "$100" if bought new from Amazon. You could probably buy a used one for about $20. For $100 you can get a solid 750W platinum rated PSU these days.

e: Yup: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B010HWDP48/?tag=neogaf0e-20

9.7 on JohnnyGuru

Awesome, thank you!

badb0y

Guys, why is there such a lack of information on mATX z170 boards? Anyways I am looking at the following board for my 6700k:

ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Gene
Asrock Z170m Extreme 4

My main concern is getting a decent overclock (4.5 Ghz) and fan control since I like to change fan speed on the fly. Anyone have any experience with these boards? I would like to go with the Asrock board and save myself a $100 if possible.

ombz

Guys, why is there such a lack of information on mATX z170 boards? Anyways I am looking at the following board for my 6700k:

ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Gene
Asrock Z170m Extreme 4

My main concern is getting a decent overclock (4.5 Ghz) and fan control since I like to change fan speed on the fly. Anyone have any experience with these boards? I would like to go with the Asrock board and save myself a $100 if possible.

I recently bought the Gene and was able to get my 6700k to a stable 4.6 Ghz at 1.35v with a quick overclock. This is just anecdotal though. I'm not sure how much the board had to do with the overclock. A lot of it has to do with luck and whether you get a good chip. I would save the 100 if the Asrocks has good reviews.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Oh god they keep multiplying

EIpnycx.png

SOLDIER

I'm planning to replace my primary drive with an SSD, so I can take advantage of faster speeds for both games as well as Windows programs and Firefox.

I'll probably do a clean install of Windows 10 while backing up anything the irreplaceable files, but the problem is my original OS was Windows 7, which was a digital purchase.

What would be the easiest way to reinstall Windows 10 for my new drive? Or is there a way I could just straight clone everything on my current drive to the new one?

Vaettir

What would be the easiest way to reinstall Windows 10 for my new drive? Or is there a way I could just straight clone everything on my current drive to the new one?

You should take the free W10 upgrade so the key ties with the motherboard. Then you can do a clean install with an ssd using the media creation tool. You don't have to input a key every time you reinstall and it'll activate the moment it connects to the internet.

Cruz

Neo Member
Can anyone lend his or her expertise on this build I am looking at?
Currently have listed
Intel Core I7 6700 k
1080 founders edition
Samsung E 500GB 850 EVO SSD and 1TB WD
Corsair graphite 730t,
Windows 10,
Blue ray writer,
Corsair Hydro Series H110i GT High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
4x8GB DDR4 2400 ram
Malwarebytes (free)
Looking for this for gaming, editing and VR

SOLDIER

You should take the free W10 upgrade so the key ties with the motherboard. Then you can do a clean install with an ssd using the media creation tool. You don't have to input a key every time you reinstall and it'll activate the moment it connects to the internet.

So how do I do this?

Originally all I did was upgrade 7 to 10 for free once the option was available.

Can anyone lend his or her expertise on this build I am looking at?
Currently have listed
Intel Core I7 6700 k
1080 founders edition
Samsung E 500GB 850 EVO SSD and 1TB WD
Corsair graphite 730t,
Windows 10,
Blue ray writer,
Corsair Hydro Series H110i GT High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
4x8GB DDR4 2400 ram
Malwarebytes (free)
Looking for this for gaming, editing and VR

What type of input are you looking for?

That's a whole lot of computer. Only thing I see missing is there is no motherboard listed. So you'll need to add that to your buying list.

Cruz

Neo Member
What type of input are you looking for?

That's a whole lot of computer. Only thing I see missing is there is no motherboard listed. So you'll need to add that to your buying list.

I want to 4k but just looking to be secure for a while But what mother board would you suggest?

Oxn

I want to 4k but just looking to be secure for a while But what mother board would you suggest?

Just stay away from asrock, i know others will chime in and say they are fine, but ive had 4 boards from them and they all gave me different problems.

Cruz

Neo Member
Just stay away from asrock, i know others will chime in and say they are fine, but ive had 4 boards from them and they all gave me different problems.

Thank you for your input, what would you suggest? i want to spoil myself for once.

I just moved (along with my computer).

After getting my computer set up again, I fired up my hardware monitoring program more-or-less on a whim, and noticed that one of my hard drives—an HGST Deskstar—is 44ºC, which my program displays in orange as if to signify that it's too hot. I'm not sure what the temperature used to be, but my program displayed it as green.

Should I be concerned?

K' Dash

I just moved (along with my computer).

After getting my computer set up again, I fired up my hardware monitoring program more-or-less on a whim, and noticed that one of my hard drives—an HGST Deskstar—is 44ºC, which my program displays in orange as if to signify that it's too hot. I'm not sure what the temperature used to be, but my program displayed it as green.

Should I be concerned?

What software are you using?

Chiggs

Just added another XFX R9 390x to my system. Was really considering going for two GTX 1070s or 1080s, but I don't want to put up with the launch bullshit, and if I'm going to dump $900-1200 (or more) on a couple of cards, I want them to have HBM2--not some stop-gap GDDR5x solution...which I imagine will lose its luster late this year or early next, once people get a load of what the true heir to the throne is capable of delivering.

Anyway, I got a damn good deal on it, along with a free copy of Total War: Warhammer.

If the Polaris launch is compelling, I *might* consider returning the 2nd R9 390x...but still, I'm not all that thrilled at forking out dough for GDDR5x stuff (if Polaris products are even using it). If anything, I'm more interested in seeing what Zen has to offer...that's the real make or break product for AMD.

Doom at 1440p with everything maxed out, running at 70-80fps is a sight to behold, btw. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom