• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldddddd. I think I'll pick up some colored psu wires too while I'm at microcenter. Are the stock fans good? I have the corsair water cooler for the cpu. Should I just stick with the stock fans?

I've only had one problem with Corsair's fans, over some three corsair cases over 10 years, and only from a simple 120mm case fan. Corsair has been very reliable for me, all told, so you should be okay.

Filth

I've only had one problem with Corsair's fans, over some three corsair cases over 10 years, and only from a simple 120mm case fan. Corsair has been very reliable for me, all told, so you should be okay.

Awesome thanks. I really wanted the silver case but I don't fee like waiting for a newegg delivery. The store by my house has the all black ones and I have a gift card to use blahhh

Just pointing out that there are new ones coming this year. Considering that option doesn't really cost anything. Price is another consideration of course. I wonder if prices for older CPUs drop once Kaby Lake is released?

Generally, no. They just go end-of-life and disappear from retailer's shelves.

K' Dash

23qwerty

CPU fan is positioned incorrectly. It should be attached on the right hand side of the cooler blowing to the left. Probably you have killed the exhaust flow with the current fan position causing the case temps to rise dramatically.

I've put the fan on the proper side and the GPU temperatures are about the same

Well so far I'm getting this and selling the old parts to a friend.

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
MSI Gaming Intel Skylake B150 LGA 1151 DDR4 USB 3.1
Intel Boxed Core I5-6600K 3.50 GHz

Since I don't expect the 1070 to outperform the 980ti and I don't really want to wait months in order to get one of the third party variants I was looking to buy a 980ti, I just found
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB G1 GAMING OC EDITION
for $429, I'm interested.

Thoughts?

If you can get the 980ti for that cheap, I'd bite. Everything else is A-OK, but then, I picked it, so. :D

Jeffrey

Anyone know any good products, dyi solutions for wired mouse where your computer is below the table? Seems like gravity keeps adding some 'resistance' and pulls the mouse up when my hand isn't on it, which is a bit annoying.

23qwerty

Anyone know any good products, dyi solutions for wired mouse where your computer is below the table? Seems like gravity keeps adding some 'resistance' and pulls the mouse up when my hand isn't on it, which is a bit annoying.

Could get a USB hub and put it on your desk?

aaronli

Neo Member
I'm looking for some suggestions, what would be a decent graphics card which will last for a few years without upgrade, I'm not particularly interested in high details so medium at 720p would be fine

The AOC AG352UCG might be your jam. No info on release date etc and AOC apparently is not a great monitor brand but even if that's true (never had one), the panel is out there and Asus, Dell, Acer etc will probably pick it up for their lineup.

Perhaps some new hot monitors will be shown at Computex.

Let's hope. I feel like If someone is going to spend $1000+ on a monitor it should be all those things. I have an X34 and it's great. With a 1080 I would love to push to 144hz but it is only 100 Hz maximum.

Vuze

I'm looking for some suggestions, what would be a decent graphics card which will last for a few years without upgrade, I'm not particularly interested in high details so medium at 720p would be fine
I guess this decision depends entirely on your budget. Any input?

Well so far I'm getting this and selling the old parts to a friend.

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
MSI Gaming Intel Skylake B150 LGA 1151 DDR4 USB 3.1
Intel Boxed Core I5-6600K 3.50 GHz

Since I don't expect the 1070 to outperform the 980ti and I don't really want to wait months in order to get one of the third party variants I was looking to buy a 980ti, I just found
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB G1 GAMING OC EDITION
for $429, I'm interested.

Thoughts?

You are not going to overclock with that B150 chipset you know that right? As for the 980Ti seems like a pretty good deal to me but maybe wait a bit for 1070 benchmarks just to be sure.

Man this case is just epic!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854021

QFgCVO0.jpg

NOyq5Bm.jpg

Hi Pc Expert GAF

Sort of a newb question, a co worker is getting me a great deal on a Dell tower that is configured for computer animation, it has 16GB Ram with Xeon Quad core E5630 CPU and a Nvidea Quadro 4000 2GB GPU. very similar to this (the box is exact but a better GPU)

I really want a gaming rig, but I wouldn't mind a rig that is capable of running maya etc.

My question is, can I ALSO ADD a GTX980ti or maybe even a GTX 1080 or a 1070 in the soon future to these babies and use Windows 10. to switch between Graphic cards as I see fit?

Is there even enuogh (PCI) slots on a MB/ case like that to install two very different GPUs and run/switch over to each one as I see fit?

Like can I run the GTX 1080 on this baby 95% of the time and switch over to the Quadro 4000, when I do work? Is such sorcery even possible or I will run into serious system problems?

if the answer is yes, does a Xeon Quad Core play well with a GTX 1080, or I will face bottlenecking and other performance issues and I should stick to a i7 6700 K or something?

Please give me some advice.

K' Dash

You are not going to overclock with that B150 chipset you know that right? As for the 980Ti seems like a pretty good deal to me but maybe wait a bit for 1070 benchmarks just to be sure.

Yeah I was about to buy all the stuff when I realized that, I'm looking for another motherboard.

What's the best I can get for >$120 DDR4 and overclock compatible?

This looks good: MSI Gaming Intel Skylake B150 LGA 1151 DDR4 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard (B150A Gaming Pro)

Thoughts?

FireRises

for a dedicated game drive, what would you guys go with?

Samsung 850 evo 1TB SSD - ~$300

or

Samsung Pro 950 512GB M2 PCIE SSD - ~$300

Both are about the same price, the 950 is obv faster based on specs but I'm not sure if that translates to noticing it in the real world.

ACE 1991

So i'm trying to use RTSS to use as a framerate limiter to make sure G-SYNC stays on when my monitor exceeds 144hz. For whatever reason every game I try it on the frame limiter doesn't seem to work, and I regularly go way over 144. Is there some setting I need to change? I have the limiter set to 140 in RTSS. Thanks.

So i'm trying to use RTSS to use as a framerate limiter to make sure G-SYNC stays on when my monitor exceeds 144hz. For whatever reason every game I try it on the frame limiter doesn't seem to work, and I regularly go way over 144. Is there some setting I need to change? I have the limiter set to 140 in RTSS. Thanks.

hm, can you post a screencap of your RTSS settings?

Oxn

or

Both are about the same price, the 950 is obv faster based on specs but I'm not sure if that translates to noticing it in the real world.

Take it for what you will, but i got the 1TB 850 EVO, and its great.

I like to have alot of games available on my SSD at all times, so it works well.

e90Mark

or

I can't tell the difference between my 850 EVO and my 950 PRO.

I would go with the 1TB.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

or

There's almost no speed difference, which would justify paying the same price, for half the capacity.

Man it's great how SSD prices are dropping. I bought the 960GB Crucial M500 in August of 2013, and the $590.99 I paid was insanely low, at the time. Total game changer.

Alright PCGaf, I now need some help building a new PC. Didn't expect to need that anytime soon, but I am now giving my current gaming PC away to my brother for his graduation. Wanted a new one, but couldn't really justify it when it was running fine now.

I currently have an Acer Predator X34 monitor (3440x1440p, 100Hz, G-Sync) monitor, SSDs, and accessories. That is really the only things I'll be keeping. From everything that I have read, it seems that going with the i5 6600k is better than going with the i7 6700k? My budget is $2,000. Obviously the lower the better though! Going to be getting a 1080 too. This will more or less only be used for gaming.

The 980ti here is a placeholder for a 1080 since I can't just add a 1080 yet. Should I add additional ram to future proof myself? From everything that I have read it seems that this would along with a 1080 would play almost everything at 100FPS in QHD. Will gladly go more money if the difference would be a lot more.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($142.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($599.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Phantom 530 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($114.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1286.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-21 20:45 EDT-0400

FireRises

I can't tell the difference between my 850 EVO and my 950 PRO.

I would go with the 1TB.

There's almost no speed difference, which would justify paying the same price, for half the capacity.

Man it's great how SSD prices are dropping. I bought the 960GB Crucial M500 in August of 2013, and the $590.99 I paid was insanely low, at the time. Total game changer.

thanks guys, helps a lot. I'll grab the 1TB 850 evo when I find a good deal and use my current 830 for the OS.

Alright PCGaf, I now need some help building a new PC. Didn't expect to need that anytime soon, but I am now giving my current gaming PC away to my brother for his graduation. Wanted a new one, but couldn't really justify it when it was running fine now.

I currently have an Acer Predator X34 monitor (3440x1440p, 100Hz, G-Sync) monitor, SSDs, and accessories. That is really the only things I'll be keeping. From everything that I have read, it seems that going with the i5 6600k is better than going with the i7 6700k? My budget is $2,000. Obviously the lower the better though! Going to be getting a 1080 too. This will more or less only be used for gaming.

The 980ti here is a placeholder for a 1080 since I can't just add a 1080 yet. Should I add additional ram to future proof myself? From everything that I have read it seems that this would along with a 1080 would play almost everything at 100FPS in QHD. Will gladly go more money if the difference would be a lot more.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($142.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($599.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Phantom 530 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($114.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1286.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-21 20:45 EDT-0400

If I were spending ~$600 on a video card I'd probably wait on the 1080.

Edit: Didn't see your 1080 note, but yeah unless you can find a great deal on a 980TI I'd just wait. As for the RAM, 16GB should be plenty if you just plan on using it for gaming.

OneUh8

Yeah I was about to buy all the stuff when I realized that, I'm looking for another motherboard.

What's the best I can get for >$120 DDR4 and overclock compatible?

This looks good: MSI Gaming Intel Skylake B150 LGA 1151 DDR4 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard (B150A Gaming Pro)

Thoughts?

You need z170 board.

Something like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132566&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

If you can swing it, that is what I would recommend. But you need a Z170 board like that one.

If I were spending ~$600 on a video card I'd probably wait on the 1080.

Edit: Didn't see your 1080 note, but yeah unless you can find a great deal on a 980TI I'd just wait. As for the RAM, 16GB should be plenty if you just plan on using it for gaming.

I will most definitely be waiting for the 1080. However, until that point I can order and build everything else and use my current 980ti until I give up my current PC. That won't be for another couple weeks. Hopefully enough time to have custom 1080s out. But I am posting now just to make sure those components for only gaming will be enough for QHD/100Hz.

Is ot ppssible to keep up with console generation with same price tag for their life time?

I.e you spend 500 in 2007 get performance equal to ps3 till 2013.

Upgrade same pc with 450 get performance equal to ps4 for its life tine.

Reason for question is that i do not care about graphics more than consoles but i do have games on pc. I have laptop for everything else but cant game ob it. I understand initial investment will be higher which i am taking as 900 bucks.

drotahorror

Any objections? I was going to wait for Kaby but F it.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bkmVdC

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Power Supply: ----------

*changed PSU to one I seen above
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

K' Dash

You need z170 board.

Something like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132566&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

If you can swing it, that is what I would recommend. But you need a Z170 board like that one.

I need to buy from Amazon and that board is $170 there, I was looking at this one:

MSI Enthuastic Gaming Intel Z170A

It seems really good bang for the buck, what do you think?

Hi PC GAF, I'm venturing into my first time building a PC! I'm a graphic designer, and i've been lucky to be able to work on a Mac Pro at work for the last few years but I want something of my own at home that will be custom built. I'll mainly be using the computer for Photoshop (large website comps, photo editing), After effects and Premiere (don't foresee editing 4k). With this computer I want to get into 3d design and experiment with VR. I just learned about the 1070's today, and I'm interested because it seems I'll be safe performance wise for a while. I don't need a graphics card right away but if the 1070's are going to be sold out for months I don't think I want to wait that long, so getting the older card with a marked down price might be what I want to do.

Here's my list of parts. I was kind of in the dark when it came to choosing a motherboard. The only thing I knew it needed was a good amount of usb 3 slots. For graphics card I don't want something top of the line (and pricey).

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mLj8FT
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mLj8FT/by_merchant/

Any idea on availability of the 1070's when they come out? Are these things usually hard to get hands on at release? I'm totally new to this game. Any advice would be appreciated.

Edit: looked over OP, wanted to include this info

Budget: <$1500 USD
Main Use: 3.5
Monitor Resolution: running games at 1080p, want to be able to run VR units
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: photoshop, after effects, premiere, c4d
Looking to reuse any parts?: Nope
When will you build?: I have no immediate need for graphics card. Would adding in graphics card later be hard?
Will you be overclocking?: Never done before, but likely not.

Filth

so I bought the corsair 540 air. took me a little to transfer everything over and this is the outcome.

7fEWiTa.png

SiUoGgk.png

6W3Z53l.png

I added two white led strips which I regret because they are so bright. I think I'm going to go and replace them with a single purple led strip to match the keyboard.

I need to buy from Amazon and that board is $170 there, I was looking at this one:

MSI Enthuastic Gaming Intel Z170A

It seems really good bang for the buck, what do you think?

I have no experience with MSI boards but that looks good for the price so should be fine.

Hi PC GAF, I'm venturing into my first time building a PC! I'm a graphic designer, and i've been lucky to be able to work on a Mac Pro at work for the last few years but I want something of my own at home that will be custom built. I'll mainly be using the computer for Photoshop (large website comps, photo editing), After effects and Premiere (don't foresee editing 4k). With this computer I want to get into 3d design and experiment with VR. I just learned about the 1070's today, and I'm interested because it seems I'll be safe performance wise for a while. I don't need a graphics card right away but if the 1070's are going to be sold out for months I don't think I want to wait that long, so getting the older card with a marked down price might be what I want to do.

Here's my list of parts.

Any reason you have chosen Haswell parts instead of Skylake? I would get an i7 6700K (even if you aren't overclocking) + Z170 board + DDR4 3200 RAM. You get the features the new platform brings plus high clocked DDR4 which is surely better than old DDR3 1600 Mhz. As for the 1070, it's a good idea to wait for benchmarks but yea, should be a pretty good card @1080p for quite a while a least.

ISee

Any objections? I was going to wait for Kaby but F it.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bkmVdC

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Power Supply: ----------

*changed PSU to one I seen above
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Not much to object, just two remakrs.

1.) If you can, get even faster clocked ram. Intel cpus scales extremely well with faster ram in gaming scenarios.
2.) A 750W PSU is mostly needed for dual GPU configurations. If you don't plan for SLI/Cross fire you can easily go with a 550W-600W PSU, even for a 1080 or 1070 (theoretically 500W should be enough, but well...)

Thorgal

uh this is probable gonna sound real noobish but does the MSI gaming app need to be running for the OC mode setting of my 980 ti to take effect ?

drotahorror

Not much to object, just two remakrs.

1.) If you can, get even faster clocked ram. Intel cpus scales extremely well with faster ram in gaming scenarios.
2.) A 750W PSU is mostly needed for dual GPU configurations. If you don't plan for SLI/Cross fire you can easily go with a 550W-600W PSU, even for a 1080 or 1070 (theoretically 500W should be enough, but well...)

Thanks I'll keep that in mind for the ram.

About the PSU, for that model, even the 650 watt one was like $30 more expensive. The 550 watt one is only $10 cheaper. I'm getting a 1080 too btw. I know the whole system won't require 750 but , w/e 550 watt is only $10 cheaper and the 650 (what I would have got) is more expensive.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I just got 1Gbps fiber internet (not google) but all my hardware is not up to standard. My old laptop maxes out at 100Mbps via ethernet, my phone ~440Mbps And for some reason my PS4 is getting 35Mbps when I test it. Unfortunately, because of the location, I can't connect my PS4 or smart tv to an ethernet cable... just wifi.

I was looking at this for my laptop. But it looks like even it maxes out at 867.

and maybe this for wifi devices?

speed test w/ laptop (wired):
m9niLjU.jpg

cell phone (wifi)
bDHMOqM.jpg

Any recommendations?

first world problems

I just got 1Gbps fiber internet (not google) but all my hardware is not up to standard. My old laptop maxes out at 100Mbps via ethernet, my phone ~440Mbps And for some reason my PS4 is getting 35Mbps when I test it. Unfortunately, because of the location, I can't connect my PS4 or smart tv to an ethernet cable... just wifi.

I was looking at this for my laptop. But it looks like even it maxes out at 867.

and maybe this for wifi devices?

Any recommendations?

first world problems

Laptop probably has a 10/100 Mbit NIC, phone has 5G so pretty good speeds, PS4 wifi is shit. Nothing you can do short of buying a new laptop and using some sort of homeplug solution for the PS4, depending on the quality of your powerlines in home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom