• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woorloog

Banned
It worked before and everything is on place. I didn't even notice it, but I installed Speccy today and saw 60 degrees on my GPU, then opened my case and noticed the CPU fan wasn't spinning.

My CPU is at under 30 degrees on idle, with Cinebench I managed to get it up to 38 degrees.

Interesting. What if you play something, what kind of CPU and GPU temps you get?

After some googling, i've noticed others report 970 having idle temps between 50 and 60 though i haven't found if that's normal or not.

EDIT See your pic now... 25 C for 6600K at idle? Mine's 33... wonder if mine's normal... That said, i may have applied slightly too much thermal paste when i installed the CPU, could explain the different.

K' Dash

So, with the wait for decent priced 1080/1070 cards I decided that I will refresh my Motherboard/CPU/RAM as I think they're in dire need of upgrade.

I want to hear your thoughts on this:

i5 2500K OC'd to 4.5GHz -> Replacing with i5 6600K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LK -> Will replace with Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H
Gigabyte GTX 780 GHz Edition -> Will keep until 1080/1070
RAM Corsair 4x4GB 1600mhz DDR3 -> Will keep unless the speed affects Game Performance, I think it does not.
128GB SSD -> Will keep
Seagate 1TB mechanical HDD -> Will keep
Power Suply Antec BP550 -> Keep?

Also, a friend is offering to buy my 780, I was thinking of maybe buying an Asus strix 390 while I wait On The other cards to arrive? I don't know.

Vuze

I seem to have a problem. I don't know.

My CPU fan doesn't spin, I have this one:

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Thermalright-HR-02-Macho-Rev--B-Tower-Kuehler_983170.html

Does it have a function that it doesn't spin until it reached a certain temp?

And now my second problem. My GPU seem to run at 60 degree in idle, fans are off, as the card intended, is this normal ? MSI GTX 970.

These are my specs:
Wouldn't worry about the GPU at all, my MSI 970 sits at 59°c as well (for me it's because it runs at P0 clocks 24/7 due to my monitor setup, perhaps you run an overlay or desktop mod that triggers P0, check NvidiaInspector for your current clocks).

As for the CPU fan, perhaps check your BIOS. Maybe your MB came with a custom fan profile? Though the temps look more than fine?

So, with the wait for decent priced 1080/1070 cards I decided that I will refresh my Motherboard/CPU/RAM as I think they're in dire need of upgrade.

I want to hear your thoughts on this:

i5 2500K OC'd to 4.5GHz -> Replacing with i5 6600K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LK -> Will replace with Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H
Gigabyte GTX 780 GHz Edition -> Will keep until 1080/1070
RAM Corsair 4x4GB 1600mhz DDR3 -> Will keep unless the speed affects Game Performance, I think it does not.
128GB SSD -> Will keep
Seagate 1TB mechanical HDD -> Will keep
Power Suply Antec BP550 -> Keep?

Your new motherboard will not fit your CPU. You want something with an 1151 socket for that CPU, and 1151 socket motherboards are compatible with only DDR4 RAM, if Ir ecall correctly.

This would be a better option for the Mobo, as it is 1151 socket, and shares the same price point as the one you chose above.

You will also want DDR4 RAM.

K' Dash

Your new motherboard will not fit your CPU. You want something with an 1151 socket for that CPU, and 1151 socket motherboards are compatible with only DDR4 RAM, if Ir ecall correctly.

This would be a better option for the Mobo, as it is 1151 socket, and shares the same price point as the one you chose above.

You will also want DDR4 RAM.

I want to keep my RAM, would it be to much of a los if I buy a 4970K instead? Also I don't know if there will be issues to pair it with 1600mhz RAM?

Thanks for your help.

Interesting. What if you play something, what kind of CPU and GPU temps you get?

After some googling, i've noticed others report 970 having idle temps between 50 and 60 though i haven't found if that's normal or not.

EDIT See your pic now... 25 C for 6600K at idle? Mine's 33... wonder if mine's normal... That said, i may have applied slightly too much thermal paste when i installed the CPU, could explain the different.

Alright, played Doom for good 15 minutes, intense firefights with a lot of alpha effect. Got 33 degrees on my CPU, 57 on GPU. This is really weird.

Woorloog

Banned
Alright, played Doom for good 15 minutes, intense firefights with a lot of alpha effect. Got 33 degrees on my CPU, 57 on GPU. This is really weird.

I would assume your CPU got superb passive cooling somehow. Mine certainly gets a bit hotter but then it also idles hotter (i assume, as i said, that i have too much thermal paste). Most likely the CPU fan starts running only at certain threshold. You need to do something really CPU intensive to test this, me thinks.

The GPU's fans probably turn on (at least occasionally) while playing, keeping it level. Mine (MSI R9 390) reaches 72-74 or so usually, but then it is AMD so it runs a bit hotter.

Unsure if idle temp of about 60 is right for the GPU (for either of us). Most likely it won't harm them, it usually they can take hotter temps for long times without issues.

I have noticed my GPU's temp may drop down if i've been away from my PC for a long time but climbs back to 60 or so once i start using this. Perhaps it it lowers power or something if not used for a while, yours could have similar thing (MSI Afterburner draws a graph, which is useful for temperature history checking). (If so, i assume display must turn off as well, mine goes off after 10 minutes of inactivity.)

I want to keep my RAM, would it be to much of a los if I buy a 4970K instead? Also I don't know if there will be issues to pair it with 1600mhz RAM?

Thanks for your help.

Well, you'll lose out on anything Skylake offers over it. The price for the 4970k is large enough to make up for the price of DDR4.

I WANT to say 4970k is a better CPU than the Skylake i5s, but I can't imagine the difference is very large. I believe it outperforms Skylake i5 by virtue of multicore applications, but single core applications Skylakes are better. Overclock potential looks abouuut the same, with the 6600k outperforming single core and 4970k outperforming on multicore. Though clock speed appears faster on the 4970k, better use of the clock speed strips Haswell of its potential against the 6600k, from my knowledge.

Personally, I would go for the Skylake and replace your RAM with DDR4, if only for more recent hardware having more recent support. However, the difference in performance isn't huge.

Your RAM timing speed doesn't much matter. The differences between 1033, 1333, 1600, etc., are negligible at best.

Recommendation: 16GB of RAM for 70 bucks coupled with a mobo of the same price and CPU 100 dollars cheaper means the 6600k is the better buy. You'll save about 30 dollars, more if you shop about, over the 4970k, even when you buy DDR4 RAM. The performance differences from better processes also favors Skylake, and DDR4 performance further widens that gap.

Anyone have anything else to add?

One might want to consider waiting till next gen of Intel CPUs before upgrading from 2500.

I upgraded to 2550k literally the day before Ivy Bridge release.

However, Kaby Lake is only supported by Windows 10, so you'd have to upgrade to that, too, and I'm leery of the performance boost over Skylake for it.

I feel as if it'll be a Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge situation, where Sandy Bridge outperforms Ivy Bridge due to better overclocking potential.

foxuzamaki said:
Alright guys, im not the richest guy in the world, what can you do for me?

I need the amount of money you're willing to spend and what you want to do with it.

Woorloog

Banned
Alright guys, im not the richest guy in the world, what can you do for me?

That tag is oddly appropriate. What do you need?

I upgraded to 2550k literally the day before Ivy Bridge release.

However, Kaby Lake is only supported by Windows 10, so you'd have to upgrade to that, too, and I'm leery of the performance boost over Skylake for it.

I feel as if it'll be a Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge situation, where Sandy Bridge outperforms Ivy Bridge due to better overclocking potential.

Just pointing out that there are new ones coming this year. Considering that option doesn't really cost anything. Price is another consideration of course. I wonder if prices for older CPUs drop once Kaby Lake is released?

I saw a pretty impressive increase in performance when I upgraded to the 6700k.

No doubt though i wonder if going from i5 to i7 has more overall effect or not. Again, Kaby Lake is coming soonish, so...

K' Dash

Well, you'll lose out on anything Skylake offers over it. The price for the 4970k is large enough to make up for the price of DDR4.

I WANT to say 4970k is a better CPU than the Skylake i5s, but I can't imagine the difference is very large. I believe it outperforms Skylake i5 by virtue of multicore applications, but single core applications Skylakes are better. Overclock potential looks abouuut the same, with the 6600k outperforming single core and 4970k outperforming on multicore. Though clock speed appears faster on the 4970k, better use of the clock speed strips Haswell of its potential against the 6600k, from my knowledge.

Personally, I would go for the Skylake and replace your RAM with DDR4, if only for more recent hardware having more recent support. However, the difference in performance isn't huge.

Your RAM timing speed doesn't much matter. The differences between 1033, 1333, 1600, etc., are negligible at best.

Recommendation: 16GB of RAM for 70 bucks coupled with a mobo of the same price and CPU 100 dollars cheaper means the 6600k is the better buy. You'll save about 30 dollars, more if you shop about, over the 4970k, even when you buy DDR4 RAM. The performance differences from better processes also favors Skylake, and DDR4 performance further widens that gap.

Anyone have anything else to add?

Excellent and very informative, thank you for all in dept info: I picked this:

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz

MSI Gaming Intel Skylake B150 LGA 1151 DDR4 USB 3.1

Intel Boxed Core I5-6600K 3.50 GHz

Since a friend of mine offered to buy the parts I'm replacing, including the GPU I'm thinking of buying a Nice 980ti, any recomendations?

I'm an international buyer, so I don't have much options except for Amazon, Newegg doesn't foreign dollars, lol.

Thank you!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I need the amount of money you're willing to spend and what you want to do with it.

That tag is oddly appropriate. What do you need?

Something that can run current gen AAA games without exploding, more specifically, it doesnt have to be something that pushes 60 fps for every new game, though would be good if it did for every last gen game.

Price range...lets say 700-800 maximum and I live in the U.S

Just pointing out that there are new ones coming this year. Considering that option doesn't really cost anything. Price is another consideration of course. I wonder if prices for older CPUs drop once Kaby Lake is released?

They drop, but not very quickly. 4970k, for instance, is still well over 300 dollars. Sure, it's an i7, but it's also two generations ago i7. By the time they'd drop in price, they're usually barely able to be found anymore, too.

Something that can run current gen AAA games without exploding, more specifically, it doesnt have to be something that pushes 60 fps for every new game, though would be good if it did for every last gen game.

I assume you have a case with enough room? If you do have a case that isn't a tiny case, then this'll be relatively simple.

GTX970,$290, with a 30 dollar rebate.

This will give you the ability to play everything on the market, at 60fps with medium settings.

What's your CPU, currently?

Woorloog

Banned
Since a friend of mine offered to buy the parts I'm replacing, including the GPU I'm thinking of buying a Nice 980ti, any recomendations?
Thank you!
Wait for 1xxx series before buying GPU. Even if you don't want 1xxx series, there will be cheaper used 9xx-series available soon.

Woorloog

Banned

Any specific AAA game examples? Some do vary wildly in their performance. IIRC, Fallout 4 ran like shit (or does it still?) on even new AMD stuff, while the new Doom runs rather smoothly even on older hardware.

EDIT Also, does that budget include monitors etc. or do you have existing monitor, keyboard or other stuff?

K' Dash

Wait for 1xxx series before buying GPU. Even if you don't want 1xxx series, there will be cheaper used 9xx-series available soon.

the downside is that I wouldn't be able to use my PC for gaming as I just sold my card, as soon as the new parts arrive I have to give my GPU to my friend, but of course it makes sense to wait for price drops, the question is, how long?

the downside is that I wouldn't be able to use my PC for gaming as I just sold my card, as soon as the new parts arrive I have to give my GPU to my friend, but of course it makes sense to wait for price drops, the question is, how long?

Well, 1070 is slated for mid June release, at a price point of $399 for reference, likely a 20 dollar variance as is normal for after market cooling. The good thing is that the 6600k has an integrated graphics chip, so you'll at least be able to use your computer.

foxuzamaki

Any specific AAA game examples? Some do vary wildly in their performance. IIRC, Fallout 4 ran like shit (or does it still?) on even new AMD stuff, while the new Doom runs rather smoothly even on older hardware.

I actually really want to play the new Doom, and thought maybe I could get by since idtech is so super optimizable, but my laptop is just too old now however I guess doom isnt a example of looking for the limits of what im looking for.

Witcher 3 would probably be another good example.

EDIT: I have a good monitor and keyboard, but might need a new rig casing as this old dell casing probably isnt big enough

K' Dash

Well, 1070 is slated for mid June release, at a price point of $399 for reference, likely a 20 dollar variance as is normal for after market cooling. The good thing is that the 6600k has an integrated graphics chip, so you'll at least be able to use your computer.

I'll see if I can find a 980ti for cheap on ebay, I was looking the other day and saw a few for $400-$450, if I can't find anything I'll wait.

I actually really want to play the new Doom, and thought maybe I could get by since idtech is so super optimizable, but my laptop is just too old now however I guess doom isnt a example of looking for the limits of what im looking for.

Witcher 3 would probably be another good example.

Okay, so you're starting from scratch. You will need

Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-3 $50 after rebate ($60)

Power Supply: CX 550M, 550 Watt power supply $40 after rebate ($60)

Motherboard:ASRock H110M $50

CPU: Skylake 6500 $205, no overclocking

GPU: GTX 970 $260 after rebate ($280)

RAM: Vengeance LPX 8GB $30

HDD: WL 500GB $26, however, you can use your laptop's hard drive, since it's all the same connectors inside.

Monitor: Acer 18.5" $83
$800 max.

This set up comes out to $850 before shipping but after tax, give me some time and I'll look into other CPU/mobo combos, we can shave off a good chunk of cost by going AMD.

How's your internet set up? Do you rely entirely upon wifi, or do you have an ethernet connection where you'd like to set your computer up? A wifi card will run some extra money, too. Soon as you answer this, I'm going to start editing the post with recommendations.

This is how it looks, CPU just not spinning, but case CPU is, and I think that is the reason why the CPU is relatively cool.

img_1390o4upd.jpg

What's the consensus on RAM speed? Does it make a huge difference? About to jump back into PC gaming with probably a 1070 graphics card combined with a i5 6600k, Asus maximus hero motherboard and 16gb of some kind of RAM. Also assuming a noctua nh-d15 CPU cooler will fit my old cooler master HAF case. Figured I would spend a bit more on that coz I could re use it for a last push on any other CPUs that come out on this chipset. Plus I find overclocking kinda fun :D

foxuzamaki

They drop, but not very quickly. 4970k, for instance, is still well over 300 dollars. Sure, it's an i7, but it's also two generations ago i7. By the time they'd drop in price, they're usually barely able to be found anymore, too.

I assume you have a case with enough room? If you do have a case that isn't a tiny case, then this'll be relatively simple.

GTX970,$290, with a 30 dollar rebate.

This will give you the ability to play everything on the market, at 60fps with medium settings.

What's your CPU, currently?

CPu probably useless since im using a laptop at the moment, actually I might just show you a picture of the 2 older casings and see if they're big enough.

Motherboard:

CPU:

GPU:

RAM:

HDD:

Keyboard:

Mouse:

Monitor:
$800 max.

How's your internet set up? Do you rely entirely upon wifi, or do you have an ethernet connection where you'd like to set your computer up? A wifi card will run some extra money, too. Soon as you answer this, I'm going to start editing the post with recommendations.

Im good in terms of mouse and keyboard, my internet right now is going off of wifi(except for my wiiU) but I have several ethernet cables that i could use

What's the consensus on RAM speed? Does it make a huge difference? About to jump back into PC gaming with probably a 1070 graphics card combined with a i5 6600k, Asus maximus hero motherboard and 16gb of some kind of RAM. Also assuming a noctua nh-d15 CPU cooler will fit my old cooler master HAF case. Figured I would spend a bit more on that coz I could re use it for a last push on any other CPUs that come out on this chipset. Plus I find overclocking kinda fun :D

It does make a difference sometimes so if you are going with a 6600K, it makes sense to choose DDR4 3200 RAM. The price difference is negligible.

foxuzamaki

HDD: WL 500GB $26, however, you can use your laptop's hard drive, since it's all the same connectors inside.

Keyboard:

Mouse:

Monitor:
$800 max.

Thanks for all this.

Thanks for all this.

$800 max.

This set up comes out to $850 before shipping but after tax, give me some time and I'll look into other CPU/mobo combos, we can shave off a good chunk of cost by going AMD. However, you also save $50 on rebates and $26 by using your current hard drive, giving you a price below $800 before shipping, with many of these having free shipping. This will allow you to reach 60 fps on every game that's out today but probably crysis, at medium to high settings, with no issues at all.

If you're not buying the HDD, total price with 7% sales tax on everything(if applicable), free shipping where applicable is $786.45.

foxuzamaki

This set up comes out to $850 before shipping but after tax, give me some time and I'll look into other CPU/mobo combos, we can shave off a good chunk of cost by going AMD. However, you also save $50 on rebates and $26 by using your current hard drive, giving you a price below $800 before shipping, with many of these having free shipping. This will allow you to reach 60 fps on every game that's out today but probably crysis, at medium to high settings, with no issues at all.

This is really helpful and could probably get all of these within the next month or so

Vuze

This is how it looks, CPU just not spinning, but case CPU is, and I think that is the reason why the CPU is relatively cool.
Well, that's weird, it definitely should spin to some degree. Tried putting the CPU fan on another fan header yet to see if it spins? Maybe the fan or the header is defective.

Chiggs

$800 max.

If you're not buying the HDD, total price with 7% sales tax on everything(if applicable), free shipping where applicable is $786.45.

Last minute wrench in your plan?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150727&cm_re=r9_390x-_-14-150-727-_-Product

It's a tad more expensive, but it's a better video card (my opinion) with more RAM and better DX12 performance. Plus, you get a free copy of Warhammer and a $30.00 rebate.

This is really helpful and could probably get all of these within the next month or so

$786.45 for everything after I crunched the numbers, no HDD, no KB+M. Mobo will have the necessary connectors for PS/2 KB+M if needed, too.

Chiggs said:
It's a tad more expensive, but it's a better video card (my opinion) with more RAM and better DX12 performance. Plus, you get a free copy of Warhammer and a $30.00 rebate.

Still an $80 difference, and to stay under budget, we'd need to move to AMD and likely bump up the power supply a little bit to give it more overhead. The 970 is simply best price to performance you're going to get, I think.

Chiggs

$
Still an $80 difference, and to stay under budget, we'd need to move to AMD and likely bump up the power supply a little bit to give it more overhead. The 970 is simply best price to performance you're going to get, I think.

GTX 970 is (of course) a solid choice.

But the 390x with a really, really good cooler and a free game at $339.99? Tough choice.

But the 390x with a really, really good cooler and a free game at $339.99? Tough choice.

It's also overkill at the resolution he'd be playing at, and while, sure, it'll hold up for a while longer, the sacrifice of a better CPU to do so would not be worth it.

Well, that's weird, it definitely should spin to some degree. Tried putting the CPU fan on another fan header yet to see if it spins? Maybe the fan or the header is defective.

Problem solved. Note to myself: Always double check if everything is tigh in place.

But I am still not liking that 60 degree GPU on Idle. Will probably ask for replacement to buy a 1070.

I wouldn't buy any graphics card right now though unless it's a rare deal. He can wait for Polaris a few weeks then make a decision or even decide to save 100$ more and get a 1070 when it's out, much better choice than an "old" generation card considering also on which gen new games are optimized.

That 390X will probably not be a good deal in just a few weeks.

I wouldn't buy any graphics card right now though unless it's a rare deal. He can wait for Polaris a few weeks then make a decision or even decide to save 100$ more and get a 1070 when it's out, much better choice than an "old" generation card considering also on which gen new games are optimized.

That 390X will probably not be a good deal in just a few weeks.

Yeah, I also considered that. At 400 bucks reference and likely 20 buck variance afterward, the 1070 should be the next price to performance king. However, he won't be able to do much gaming until it actually comes out, and we're looking at mid june for the reference card and a few months more for any variance in price or performance from the aftermarket.

Filth

I'm going to pick up a corsair air 540 case after I go to he gym. I read nothing but good things about he case. Anyone who owns one can give me any reason not to buy it? It's sort of an impulse buy.

I think they'll pull through,

+15-20% more performance than the 390x at $279.99 or less is what I'm looking for. :)

It's called a dream because you have to be asleep to believe it!

I highly doubt we'll be looking at a performance boost THAT BIG. I mean, that's huge steps, and if we DO see a performance boost that big, it won't be at that price point, it'll be Fury X price point.

Chiggs

It's called a dream because you have to be asleep to believe it!

I highly doubt we'll be looking at a performance boost THAT BIG. I mean, that's huge steps, and if we DO see a performance boost that big, it won't be at that price point, it'll be Fury X price point.

Alas, it's true...I'm hoping for another 4870.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I'm going to pick up a corsair air 540 case after I go to he gym. I read nothing but good things about he case. Anyone who owns one can give me any reason not to buy it? It's sort of an impulse buy.
The inside of the case can get pretty dusty. You can always buy some third-party filters.

Other than that, it's the best case I've ever owned.

Filth

The inside of the case can get pretty dusty. You can always buy some third-party filters.

Other than that, it's the best case I've ever owned.

Soldddddd. I think I'll pick up some colored psu wires too while I'm at microcenter. Are the stock fans good? I have the corsair water cooler for the cpu. Should I just stick with the stock fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom