• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic654

I trying for my first water cooling build. Not sure what case I should get. I have space for up to 26 inches to fit a case. Budget can go up to 320 dollars.

I was looking at 750d, 900d( I think that's to big to fit), and phanteks primo.

Any other cases I should be looking at? What case would be good for water cooling?

SleazyC

I trying for my first water cooling build. Not sure what case I should get. I have space for up to 26 inches to fit a case. Budget can go up to 320 dollars.

I was looking at 750d, 900d( I think that's to big to fit), and phanteks primo.

Any other cases I should be looking at? What case would be good for water cooling?
What are you cooling? How big and complicated is your loop going to get?

The Silverstone TJ07 (or TJ11) are great:
Tj07_VIII_11.jpg

The 900D is a beautiful case but I don't think it looks so great if you have a lot of empty space in it. Could look at one of its smaller siblings.

Also Lian-li cases are solid; not familiar with which ones might fit your build but they are beautifully crafted and very well-made.

Mystic654

What are you cooling? How big and complicated is your loop going to get?

The Silverstone TJ07 (or TJ11) are great:

The 900D is a beautiful case but I don't think it looks so great if you have a lot of empty space in it. Could look at one of its smaller siblings.

Also Lian-li cases are solid; not familiar with which ones might fit your build but they are beautifully crafted and very well-made.

Nothing to complex, a gpu, cpu and throw in two or three rads to cool everything.

900d I think is to big if it goes over 26 inches. Silver stone not sure how high it is.

SleazyC

Nothing to complex, a gpu, cpu and throw in two or three rads to cool everything.

900d I think is to big if it goes over 26 inches. Silver stone not sure how high it is.
TJ07 is 22 inches high.

900D is about 27inches high.

The TJ07 is a midtower while the 900D is a fulltower so not sure if that is something you need to take into account.

I got a little extra cash out of nowhere today and went for the i7 Skylake and GTX 970 instead of the i5 Skylake with a GTX 960. Couldn't help myself. God damnit.

Mystic654

Everyone keep saying to buy primo for water cooling. Since 900d has some serious QA issues. Not sure i want the window on the right side since that's what silverstone does.

Thanks for the input.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hey guys, I'd love a new GPU to replace my HD5850 1GB and hopefully it'd last me a whole gen like the 5850 did, gaming at 1080p/60. Is that possible? Should I wait? Considering I paid €250 back then for my 5850 I decided to put away a
Budget of 300€

Is my current PC build too old to just add a new gpu? I can still max almost any last gen games at 1080/60 (no AA/2xSMAA).

Current pc:
Case THERMALTAKE DH101
CORSAIR 650 Watt TX Series
Cpu INTEL Core i5 750 Quad Core 2,66ghz (oc to 3,4Ghz)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 socket LGA 1156 chipset Intel P55 ATX
Ram CORSAIR XMS3 4 Gb <2x2Gb> ddr3 Dual Channel 1333 Mhz CL 9-9-9-24
Gpu SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5850 1 Gb

Hey guys, I'd love a new GPU to replace my HD5850 1GB and hopefully it'd last me a whole gen like the 5850 did, gaming at 1080p/60. Is that possible? Should I wait? Considering I paid &#8364;250 back then for my 5850 I decided to put away a
Budget of 300&#8364;

Is my current PC build too old to just add a new gpu? I can still max almost any last gen games at 1080/60 (no AA/2xSMAA).

Current pc:
Case THERMALTAKE DH101
CORSAIR 650 Watt TX Series
Cpu INTEL Core i5 750 Quad Core 2,66ghz (oc to 3,4Ghz)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 socket LGA 1156 chipset Intel P55 ATX
Ram CORSAIR XMS3 4 Gb <2x2Gb> ddr3 Dual Channel 1333 Mhz CL 9-9-9-24
Gpu SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5850 1 Gb

That's exactly my old, old build.

I still use it as a second pc, and I've put in it my old 6gb Titan. Performs pretty well.

I'd say look for a gtx 970. And maybe new ram. You should be able to play modern games pretty well.

I can maybe test some games in my rig if you want, since it almost exactly replicates it (except for the Titan, which performs similarly - maybe something worse - to a 970; no OC here too).

I need some time though as I don't have games installed there yet. Feel free to suggest some titles ;)

Quantum

question about gaming monitors and audio.

I currently have dual dell u3011 monitors (each hooked to a different box)

I have enjoyed gaming on them and they have the added benefit of having two hdmi connections for other systems (xbone and ps4).

recently one of the monitors is starting to act up - a resume from sleep/not recognizing when a computer if turned on.

so now I have begun to price and consider upgrades. I currently use nvidia cards on both monitors (970 recommended to me in this thread when they were initially released) and the g-sync seems like something I would be interested in (understanding I would loose the hdmi on most offerings)

- the dells are 2560 x 1600 and are 30 inches. I would like to find comparable with gsync, and I wonder if there is experience moving from 30 to 27 inches as it seems that it has become more of a standard gaming size.

- also what are common solutions people use for multiple audio sources. I have been using the audio output via the u3011 and can easily switch between pc/xbox/ps - are there stand alone products which will accept multiple inputs and possibly allow multiple sources to play at the same time? looking to hit as few buttons as possible.

Anyone got any suggestions for good monitors? I'm looking at 27" 2560x1440 resolution.

That's what my current monitor is but it's developed some sort of problem with the DVI port, causing artifacting. Amazon are willing to replace it though.

For reference this is my current defective monitor
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0091ME4A0/

Get the g-sync IPS one from acer. You get everything and more.

There's no other choice really for that size/resolution.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009742

iddqd

Hello Hello,

I'm super new here in this subject.

I've had a macbook for the last 5 years and I want to switch to PC now.

My budget is around 1500 euros for everything (including monitor, mouse etc)

I'm going to buy this in GERMANY and I have not build a PC since the late 90's.

So I'm looking at maybe pre build ones that are not full of crap ware and gunk?

Anyone with tips? Any seller that does good work with good warranties?

Oh and my main use is Photoshop/ Adobe software.
Gaming is at best, an afterthought. This is a "for work" machine and I want to buy a PS4 for the fun stuff.

Thanks for the help!

So my step brother's co-worker is in the market for his first desktop build, as his laptop bit the dust recently. Figured I'd get some build suggestions for him. Don't worry about a monitor, as the budget is strictly for the desktop. Thanks for all suggestions!

Your Current Specs: none
Budget: $800.00 US
Main Use: Gaming - 5, General use - 4
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: WoW, Diablo 3, Dota 2, Starcraft 2. All at 60fps on their highest settings (if possible within this budget), but I'd assume 60fps isn't a strict requirement.
Looking to reuse any parts?: No
When will you build?: I'd say 2 weeks maximum
Will you be overclocking?: Yes

Is $130 a good price for DDR4 ram @ 3000? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231799 I'm starting to buy parts for a new computer as they go on sale, I'm hoping I'll have it built around October.

Anyone got any suggestions for good monitors? I'm looking at 27" 2560x1440 resolution.

That's what my current monitor is but it's developed some sort of problem with the DVI port, causing artifacting. Amazon are willing to replace it though.

Office depot has it on sale for $720 http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/956933/Acer-XB270HU-27-LED-LCD-Monitor/

If you're able to wait another month, Asus has a similar monitor coming out probably in September. It's the Asus PG2749Q, I don't think it has an official release date atm so if you need a new monitor stat I wouldn't hold out for it. If you can hold off for a month or two, you may want to consider waiting until a couple reviews for the Asus come out before deciding.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
That's exactly my old, old build.

I still use it as a second pc, and I've put in it my old 6gb Titan. Performs pretty well.

I'd say look for a gtx 970. And maybe new ram. You should be able to play modern games pretty well.

I can maybe test some games in my rig if you want, since it almost exactly replicates it (except for the Titan, which performs similarly - maybe something worse - to a 970; no OC here too).

I need some time though as I don't have games installed there yet. Feel free to suggest some titles ;)

Oh, that'd be lovely! Also yeah, it's a build from 2010 which served me really well considering I don't play strat like Total War series and similar.
RAM tips?
As for games maybe Dirt Rally, F1 2015, PCars, Assetto Corsa, Witcher 3, Batman, Ground Zeroes, Daylight, Far Cry 4... possibly current gen exclusives.

So a GTX 970? I'll look into it and euro prices, how much VRAM on board?

Thanks for the reply!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Drive by answering time. If I don't reply I either have no time or don't know!
I got a little extra cash out of nowhere today and went for the i7 Skylake and GTX 970 instead of the i5 Skylake with a GTX 960. Couldn't help myself. God damnit.
Good investments TBH. Should be able to keep the CPU for like 8 years at this pace and the 970 will have much better legs.
Really considering a 980 Ti now. Anyone have any recommendations as to which one I should buy. HardOCP really likes this gigabyte one http://m.hardocp.com/article/2015/08/11/gigabyte_gtx_980_ti_g1_gaming_video_card_review
G1 is way to go if you can find it in stock.
Hello Hello,

I'm super new here in this subject.

I've had a macbook for the last 5 years and I want to switch to PC now.

My budget is around 1500 euros for everything (including monitor, mouse etc)

I'm going to buy this in GERMANY and I have not build a PC since the late 90's.

So I'm looking at maybe pre build ones that are not full of crap ware and gunk?

Anyone with tips? Any seller that does good work with good warranties?

Oh and my main use is Photoshop/ Adobe software.
Gaming is at best, an afterthought. This is a "for work" machine and I want to buy a PS4 for the fun stuff.

Thanks for the help!
Fill out the bullet list in the OP. If you can build your own I'd highly recommend it. (Videos in second post) It's easier now that it used to be by far.
So my step brother's co-worker is in the market for his first desktop build, as his laptop bit the dust recently. Figured I'd get some build suggestions for him. Don't worry about a monitor, as the budget is strictly for the desktop. Thanks for all suggestions!

Your Current Specs: none
Budget: $800.00 US
Main Use: Gaming - 5, General use - 4
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: WoW, Diablo 3, Dota 2, Starcraft 2. All at 60fps on their highest settings (if possible within this budget), but I'd assume 60fps isn't a strict requirement.
Looking to reuse any parts?: No
When will you build?: I'd say 2 weeks maximum
Will you be overclocking?: Yes
Swing by in a week after more info about Skylake/mobos are out. Parts will be very similar to current builds, but with Mobo/CPU swaps.
Oh, that'd be lovely! Also yeah, it's a build from 2010 which served me really well considering I don't play strat like Total War series and similar.
RAM tips?
As for games maybe Dirt Rally, F1 2015, PCars, Assetto Corsa, Witcher 3, Batman, Ground Zeroes, Daylight, Far Cry 4... possibly current gen exclusives.

So a GTX 970? I'll look into it and euro prices, how much VRAM on board?

Thanks for the reply!
970 is the way to go until you get enough to upgrade the rest of your system. OC your CPU if you haven't.

AHA-Lambda

Eeep, as good as that looks, that's out my price range. I'm looking for something around the £300-400 mark, similar to what I already have.

In the meantime, anyone got any impressions on this? I admit I'm not sure what to look for in a monitor but it ticks my boxes, plus good reviews and price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H51Q4MK/

Evo X

Woot! Parts are starting to come in. SSD should be here tomorrow, and mobo on Friday. Pretty excited. It's been a while since I built from scratch. :)

755WwS0.jpg

Welcome to PC gaming. lol

You made the right choice though. You will be very happy with that combo.

Kilrathi

I need to build a new machine, as my current laptop will not run my Oculus Rift game anymore i been working since updating the project to 0.6.X, so I took my current PC(i7 2600, 16GB DDR3 1333, r9 290, P67 mobo) into a micro atx VR demo unit.

Its mainly going to be my Dev station/gaming rig for UE4/Unity VR development.

Im on the fence of going Skylake or Haswell-E 6 core

This is what i was looking at for skylake

CPU:
Intel Core i7-6700K

MotherBoard:
GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0)

RAM:
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2800

Buburibon

Woot! Parts are starting to come in. SSD should be here tomorrow, and mobo on Friday. Pretty excited. It's been a while since I built from scratch. :)

755WwS0.jpg

Congrats on the new build, but what were you running before if you don't mind my asking? I know you're a fellow Titan X owner, so I just assumed you were on X79/99. :p

Skii

After today's delivery, this is what I currently have:

rHpfV7N.jpg

Sorry for the terrible picture quality, the Nexus 4 sucks!

Just waiting for SSD, PSU and Cooler.

Also, just a quick question.. After I've bought the Windows 10 key off Reddit, how do I go about installing it on a USB so I can install that on my computer when it's built? This is probably really obvious but you will have to bare with me. I was actually pretty chuffed that I managed to install a 2TB hard drive on my PS4 without breaking/corrupting everything. That's how bad I am with this stuff haha.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Think it's OK to order everything that's in stock right now, except my CPU(since it's not out yet and only pre-orderable at one place) and the MB, or would it be worthwhile to wait the extra week or two for when Skylake is actually in stock and purchasable, plus for more quality reviews on the MBs?

I've got ants in my pants and they are killing me.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MbMXQ7
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MbMXQ7/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($359.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($93.04 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($149.90 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC56 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($48.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case Fan: Fractal Design GP14-WT 68.4 CFM 140mm Fan ($11.99 @ NCIX US)
Case Fan: Fractal Design GP14-WT 68.4 CFM 140mm Fan ($11.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($279.00 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($119.95 @ Amazon)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones ($150.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1654.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-12 15:34 EDT-0400

Rolfgang

OP, maybe an idea to switch the ROG Swift with the Acer XB270HU in the opening post? Practically the same price and specs, but IPS instead of TN.

harz-marz

rHpfV7N.jpg

Also, just a quick question.. After I've bought the Windows 10 key off Reddit, how do I go about installing it on a USB so I can install that on my computer when it's built? This is probably really obvious but you will have to bare with me. I was actually pretty chuffed that I managed to install a 2TB hard drive on my PS4 without breaking/corrupting everything. That's how bad I am with this stuff haha.

Nice! I am waiting on that exact same combo of Z170-A and i5-6600K... can't wait!

Let me know what you think of it :)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
OP, maybe an idea to switch the ROG Swift with the Acer XB270HU in the opening post? Practically the same price and specs, but IPS instead of TN.
Yes, been mentioned. Just PM this kind of stuff. I almost read every post, but stuff will fall thorough.

Same goes for anything in build sheets or other items.

Question related to buying PC parts - what is the best time of year to buy a PC?

I'm figuring October/November to catch the Christmas sales, but wondered if my intuition is wrong.

AHA-Lambda

Eeep, as good as that looks, that's out my price range. I'm looking for something around the £300-400 mark, similar to what I already have.

In the meantime, anyone got any impressions on this? I admit I'm not sure what to look for in a monitor but it ticks my boxes, plus good reviews and price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H51Q4MK/

No one?

I'm an idiot and only just realized that the Core i6 6600k I bought doesn't come with any type of heatsink. I don't plan on overclocking (initially) and thus didn't order one.

Is there any chance I'll be able to reuse the (stock) heatsink that came in my old Dell Inspiron with an LGA 775 socket? Again, not planning on overclocking for a while, so I just need the bare minimum.

Edit: And will I need thermal-paste or whatever it's called? I'd been hoping I wouldn't have to deal with this stuff. First time building a PC.

G1 is way to go if you can find it in stock.

Seems like Gigabyte has a good reputation for graphics cards. You would recommend the G1 (I have this on auto notify at newegg) over the Zotac Amp!? I also read MSI will also be releasing their lightning edition sometime soon. What is the best one for someone who won't do any manual overclocking? If they have any automatic overclocks I'll be happy just doing that. I certainly won't be raising the voltage or anything like that.

I'm an idiot and only just realized that the Core i6 6600k I bought doesn't come with any type of heatsink. I don't plan on overclocking (initially) and thus didn't order one.

Is there any chance I'll be able to reuse the (stock) heatsink that came in my old Dell Inspiron with an LGA 775 socket? Again, not planning on overclocking for a while, so I just need the bare minimum.

Edit: And will I need thermal-paste or whatever it's called? I'd been hoping I wouldn't have to deal with this stuff. First time building a PC.

I think only LGA 1150/1151 heatsinks/fans will work. Anytime you unseat/adjust the cooler you have to reapply thermal paste.

ricki42

Just get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. It comes with thermal paste, is quieter than stock, and if you ever decide to overclock, you can do that as well.

BPoole

Are you sure it doesn't come with a heatsink? The 2500k I bought years ago came with a crappy one, but it would have sufficed had I not been over clocking. And yes, you should buy thermal paste

ricki42

Are you sure it doesn't come with a heatsink? The 2500k I bought years ago came with a crappy one, but it would have sufficed had I not been over clocking. And yes, you should buy thermal paste

6600k and 6700k don't come with coolers.

I think only LGA 1150/1151 heatsinks/fans will work. Anytime you unseat/adjust the cooler you have to reapply thermal paste.

That sucks. I ordered the Evo Coolermaster from Amazon. It will get here tomorrow along with my case, but it's an extra ~$40 (w/ tax) I hadn't intended to spend. Oh well, I guess it will be better in the long run anyway. Thanks.

Kayant

rHpfV7N.jpg

Go here choose the version you want then choose to place in on a usb.

Once you have you're system together have you're USB in a USB port depending on your motherboard hit the key to get the boot menu. (Usually F12).

Nice components btw ;)

Kayant

Am really itching to get a smaller case. Any recommendations? Fractal Design Node 804 is the main runner atm but my Noctua DH-U14s is 5mm too big :( (Should I chance it?). Corsair Air 240 also would support it and the build quality doesn't help.

Preferably something in a cube factor. Budget under £90.

Edit -

Forgot improtant stuff

Currently have a factual design mini r2
Marx motherboard.

LilJoka

Am really itching to get a smaller case. Any recommendations? Fractal Design Node 804 is the main runner atm but my Noctua DH-U14s is 5mm too big :( (Should I chance it?). Corsair Air 240 also would support it and the build quality doesn't help.

Preferably something in a cube factor. Budget under £90.

Fractal Node 304?
Or you need to go mATX/ATX?

Skii

Nice! I am waiting on that exact same combo of Z170-A and i5-6600K... can't wait!

Let me know what you think of it :)

Haha, awesome!

I might not be up and running until next week though as my final shipment of components has been delayed.

Go here choose the version you want then choose to place in on a usb.

Once you have you're system together have you're USB in a USB port depending on your motherboard hit the key to get the boot menu. (Usually F12).

Nice components btw ;)

Thanks. Didn't think it would be that simple lol.

LilJoka

Yh sorry forgot mention that need Matx/atx. Currently have a fractal design mini r2.

Yh :p beauty of USB install.

Silverstone TJ08E - I find the front fan noise characteristic not great, poor HDD bay positioning (HDD cables face CPU fan)

Lian Li PC354B - CPU cooler won't fit though

Lian-Li PC-A04B

Node 804 is nice but still massive compared to Mini R2, which is also a lovely case.

MrDaravon

Re-posting from the old thread from a few weeks back; I'm looking to finally probably order everything over the weekend, everything seemed good and someone had recommended an APU but it saved very little money after having to get faster RAM and the performance drop-off was not insignificant. Just throwing this out here again to make sure everything seems good, this is my first build so I'm just pretty paranoid.

Your Current Specs: Non-existent (old laptop died)
Budget: $450-500, USA
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest:
Light Gaming - 4
Gaming - 4
Emulation (PS2/Wii) - 1
Video Editing - 1,
Streaming games in HD - 1
3D/Model work (and what program) - 1,
General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) - 4.
Monitor Resolution: Current monitor is a HF199H which is 1440 x 900; when we do our "main" PC build this will be for the secondary machine. Not concerned with running games at crazy high resolutions, just running them well. Will be getting a better monitor later, but not an immediate concern.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Looking to play medium range games well - specific examples are Diablo III, Minecraft, Ultra Street Fighter 4, Cities Skylines, Divinity Original Sin, Ys games. We don't PC game much, mostly looking at PC-exclusive RPGs and city builders. Not looking to play new AAA releases at high settings/resolutions etc.
Looking to reuse any parts?: No.
When will you build?: Within the next week or so.
Will you be overclocking?: No.

I tried to replicate the starter build in the OP using partspicker but on a couple pieces I'm not sure if I made the right choices or not, this is what I got:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JV3zLk

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($64.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($70.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($54.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.45 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R7 265 2GB Video Card ($119.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($31.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $436.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-12 18:50 EDT-0400

Izayoi

Banned
Okay, so I'm starting to get down to the wire here and it seems that the i7-6700k keeps getting pushed out.

Would I be OK to go for the i7-5820k and a nice X99 mobo? Is it going to hurt me in the future at all? I am using a Samsung 951 M.2, and I hear boot compatibility is spotty at best. Will this be a huge issue or has it mostly been resolved via firmware updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom