• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about getting buying another 8GB to move to 16GB total. I currently have 8GB of 1333 DDR3. Should I upgrade or just wait to I build a new system?

My Mother Board supports up to 32GB across 4 slots supporting: DDR3 800 / 1066 / 1333 / 1600 / 1866 / 2133

wilflare

Drop your video card to the 760 (10% slower) and change your processor to the K (30% faster) and make sure that the motherboard has a z87 chipset.

But otherwise very nice solid build!
Is this from that local place?

I have a similar rig but with a 280X
will a K processor make a very obvious real world difference?

not really into over clocking anymore

MisterNoisy

Got my next PC case.

5hwJCCZ.jpg

Lots of Dremeling ahead of me.

mkenyon

Banned
And so what if it isn't more than a few points higher? That still makes it just as good if not slightly better in that case. I showed you benchmarks where it outperforms the latest i3 in almost everything, you claimed they were synthetic (when in fact they were application benchmarks), you wrote it off and posted some nuanced frame timing data that most people will never notice. edit: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i3-4340-4330-4130_6.html#sect0 These are synthetic to you? Or do we have a misunderstanding and you were talking about a game? Please explain.

Where's all these games that I'm going to have such a hard time playing because I don't have the fabled i3 for a budget build? All I got were some mentions of Source, UE3 which is a terrible game engine by default (but I can't complain about how it performs here), and I've never had a problem with a Blizzard game either.

And your argument is "all I care about in my bubble is single core performance for games we rarely mention and capturing your gameplay or something." There is absolutely nothing niche about using your PC as a media server for things not related to gaming -- transcoding/encoding/editing audio/video, compressing data. Indeed, for a low price the FX 6300 gives you much value for not only the aforementioned but being paired with a decent GPU to serve your gaming needs as well. Not sure what planet you are from where those things outside of gaming are "niche". Besides playing games as we know them, this is one of the big things you still need a PC for in 2014 that isn't quite up to snuff on a tablet or whatnot.

And I don't care about the data you posted not because I think it is false or stupid, but because I don't notice it. Never have I noticed any problems stemming from the timing of a frame that hindered my game, single or multiplayer. I think you are posting something that to the vast majority of people playing a game is quite nuanced and will not affect them one way or the other.

It absolutely does. Should you buy it today, you are set for the next 3 to 4 years with nothing else but a GPU upgrade halfway through -- possibly -- depending on what you get now. Yeah hardware failure happens, but that can happen to anyone using any combination of hardware.
Hyperbole much? You're putting words in my mouth I didn't even say, and I think mixing up terms. Not very nice :(

Also, frame timing is the same thing as FPS, just more accurate :p

Read here if you'd like to know more.
Hhahaha, that's the one I already have on my wish list ;)

I just want to be able to match sizes with the current 27" instead of doing dual monitor with a 24 and 27. I read that the 27" variant would have GSYNC support unless that's been debunked.

Reading a few links, it seems unlikely. Guess it's the 24" variant then. Definitely want that GSYNC but I'm still unsure about how much the module will cost.

The secondary question would be, when are bigger GSYNC monitors hitting?
Modules should be $80-100.

No idea on when the next big fancies are coming. I haven't heard a word out of Mark @ BlurBusters.

nbraun80

So here's my situation PC gaf:

I was just given a PC (parents got a new one), here are the stats:

HP Pavillion Elite HPE-120f:
intel core 2 quad processor Q9300
8GB DDR3 Ram
1 TB HDD
ATI Radeon HD4350 (512 dedicated memory)
Windows 7 Home premium

I'm guessing my graphics card is the weak point and need a better one. Basically I'm wondering am I correct that the graphics cards is the weak point? What would be a good one to get to fit well with all that?

The highest end games I'm looking to play are only DayZ and Rust. Games like Bioshock and BF4 I will be playing on the new consoles so I mainly will use the PC for PC only games like those two and Indie games on steam.

DayZ reccemmended statsOS: Windows 7 SP1
Processor: Intel Core i5-2300 or AMD Phenom II X4 940 or better
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 or AMD Radeon HD 7750 with 1 GB VRAM or better
DirectX: Version 9.0c

Any help is appreciated. :)
Anyone?

Diablos

Hyperbole much?

Also, frame timing is the same thing as FPS, just more accurate :p

Read here if you'd like to know more.
Meant to say frame latency.

I'm not putting words in your mouth, I just think we have a misunderstanding. I apologize if I took anything you said the wrong way.
We both picked on each other using false quotes, so perhaps that makes us even.
I got called a liar and was basically told I can't read an electric bill if that makes you feel any better. :(

Again, the application benchmarks I edited into my previous post. Is that what you claimed to be synthetic? I'd like to know, would help me understand where you are coming from a bit better.

After a day of looking up parts, I can't believe I didn't ask here:

Your Current Specs:
CPU: i7 (Sandy Bridge)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600
Motherboard: ASUS p7
GPU: HD 6900 Sapphire
PSU: 1k Cooler Master
Case: Thermaltake Black
HDD: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD

Budget:
500-1k, USA

Main Use:
Gaming: 5 (would like to take this "opportunity" to upgrade my current hardware)
Video Editing: 3
General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback, business [Software Dev]): 5

Monitor Resolution:
I have a 27" and run at 1980x1080.

30FPS acceptable, but I'm trying to switch to 60 or higher
How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you: I dabble, but it's not the end of the world not to have it

Looking to reuse any parts?:
PSU
Memory/RAM
HDDs

I'm going to get some new fans and water cooling, as well as a temp/fan controller, to make damn sure that my next rig is prepared for war.

Not sure about keeping my current case.

When will you build?: ASAP

Will you be overclocking?: No

What exactly caught fire? What exactly do you mean by catching fire? Burning and then melting down? Just one short flame?

The space between my fan and my CPU and cooler started sprouting small flames. I opened the case and put them out with my dust cleaner. I am assuming that the cooler and the fan were not actually working, but then again, that's an assumption.

I apologize for not being more detailed sooner. Was a bit of a hectic time.

mkenyon

Banned
Again, the application benchmarks I edited into my previous post. Is that what you claimed to be synthetic? I'd like to know.
I'm not sure what you're trying to prove. As I said before:

3) The only thing your post points out is that Vishera chips are amazingly good value for multimedia creation. If that were the point of this thread, you can bet your ass you'd see them in the OP builds.
After a day of looking up parts, I can't believe I didn't ask here:

Your Current Specs:
CPU: i7 (Sandy Bridge)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600
Motherboard: ASUS p7
GPU: HD 6900 Sapphire
PSU: 1k Cooler Master
Case: Thermaltake Black
HDD: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD

Budget:
500-1k, USA

Main Use:
Gaming: 5 (would like to take this "opportunity" to upgrade my current hardware)
Video Editing: 3
General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback, business [Software Dev]): 5

Monitor Resolution:
I have a 27" and run at 1980x1080.

30FPS acceptable, but I'm trying to switch to 60 or higher
How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you: I dabble, but it's not the end of the world not to have it

Looking to reuse any parts?:
PSU
Memory/RAM
HDDs

I'm going to get some new fans and water cooling, as well as a temp/fan controller, to make damn sure that my next rig is prepared for war.

Not sure about keeping my current case.

When will you build?: ASAP

Will you be overclocking?: No

The space between my fan and my CPU and cooler started sprouting small flames. I opened the case and put them out with my dust cleaner. I am assuming that the cooler and the fan were not actually working, but then again, that's an assumption.

Just grab a 4770K and Z87. Your GPU is fine for now if you want to wait for the AMD prices to lower a bit.

*edit*

Overclocking will help you keep constant 16.3ms frame times or lower. It's really freaking easy. You should do it.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn for those that don't.

mkenyon

Banned
[PERFORMANCE MICE]
Vnp7oxv.png
These are intended for competitive gamers. Speed, accuracy, and sensor customization is valued above all.

Spawn is an amazing value designed for claw and hybrid grips. If you absolutely love the MX518 shape, then the G400S is a good choice at $45, but is outperformed by the Rival at $60. The Rival has zero acceleration and interpolation, which are native to all laser mice. Sensei for ambi shape, amazing customization on the firmware level with an outstanding sensor.

r6bXf.png
$30 - CM Storm Spawn . . .
9ez0k7m.png
$45 - Logitech G400S
v3uY0.png
$60 - SS Sensei Raw
qKwllLM.png
$60 - SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Does anybody here know from experience if TigerDirect.com is reliable? They have the video card I want for $20 cheaper than Newegg.
Horrible terrible company, no. I had two absolutely awful orders with them and they didn't work very well with me to resolve it.
Amazon all the way for me since Newegg service has gotten worse (More like Amazon bends over backwards and then some).

Diablos

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove. As I said before:
Oh, right. We really have a hard time understanding each other. I wasn't talking about that video you mentioned in a previous post btw. I'm really not trying to pick on you. I just am getting flooded with data (here and elsewhere) and it's confusing. I may very well be ignorant because I don't notice any significant frame latency hindering my own experience, but that's just me. Are there any FX owners here who have?

What I'm trying to 'prove' (more like emphasize) is what you said about multimedia + what is very similar performance (either neck to neck or lagging slighty behind) to highest end i3 and some multithreaded muscle, even if minimal as you like to point out in a lot of cases, makes it a viable option that deserved a mention for budget builds! That's it! If you build it now, you're good for the next 3 to 4 years, so why even bother with an 8xxx upgrade for a budget build anyway? I see no upgrade path viable for a such PC if you build it today. It is after all a budget-oriented PC. You might upgrade one thing, like the GPU. Anything else would be due to failure (i.e. PSU). After a good 4 years you might as well start over, all of the tech will be vastly superior by then.

If you want to say I'm wrong, go for it. It really is a difference of opinion. Overall, for gaming and multimedia you get more "bang for your buck" per se depending on how you want to look at it, because I'm not seeing any GPU coming down the line getting bottlenecked by a 6 or 8 core Vishera despite the lackluster single core performance, and I still get great multimedia performance to boot.

1tK7rG3.png

The 6300 is not lagging behind the i3-4130 by a whole lot (in FC3 it actually squeaks ahead). And when you take into consideration how valuable the CPU is for multimedia it is a pretty robust budget cpu, no more, no less.

RayStorm

That sounds rather odd. I'm pretty sure even if the cooler did not work (as in "fan did not spin" there should be no flames. I'm actually confident in saying that the CPU would throttle down in such a case to avoid getting destroyed.

When did that happen? How long did your PC run before it burst into flames (as in how many days did it work without problems)?

mkenyon

Banned
Hey, anyone want to make a new banner for the 2014 thread? Goin up tomorrow or the day after.
Oh, right. We really have a hard time understanding each other. I wasn't talking about that video you mentioned in a previous post btw. I'm really not trying to pick on you. I just am getting flooded with data (here and elsewhere) and it's confusing. I may very well be ignorant because I don't notice any significant frame latency hindering my own experience, but that's just me. Are there any FX owners here who have?

What I'm trying to 'prove' (more like emphasize) is what you said about multimedia + what is very similar performance (either neck to neck or lagging slighty behind) to highest end i3 and some multithreaded muscle, even if minimal as you like to point out in a lot of cases, makes it a viable option that deserved a mention for budget builds! That's it! If you build it now, you're good for the next 3 to 4 years, so why even bother with an 8xxx upgrade for a budget build anyway? I see no upgrade path viable for a such PC if you build it today. It is after all a budget-oriented PC. You might upgrade one thing, like the GPU. Anything else would be due to failure (i.e. PSU). After a good 4 years you might as well start over, all of the tech will be vastly superior by then.

If you want to say I'm wrong, go for it. It really is a difference of opinion. Overall, for gaming and multimedia you get more "bang for your buck" per se depending on how you want to look at it, because I'm not seeing any GPU coming down the line getting bottlenecked by a 6 or 8 core Vishera despite the lackluster single core performance, and I still get great multimedia performance to boot.

1tK7rG3.png

The 6300 is not lagging behind the i3-4130 by a whole lot (in FC3 it actually squeaks ahead). And when you take into consideration how valuable the CPU is for multimedia it is a pretty robust budget cpu, no more, no less.
Alright alright. I get you, and you're right. But the thing is that use you have for yours is extremely niche.

I can't tell you how many times someone comes in here looking for upgrades and they have a B/H/Z68/Z77 motherboard with an i3. It's an easy plop in upgrade for huge performance. That alone kind of kicks the 6300 out of place. The single/dual/tri threaded performance of the i3 makes it a better gaming processor. It's a better multiplayer gaming processor. In a very few select amount of titles, the 6300 has a little bump, but not enough to make up for the huge gulf in single/dual threaded games. I mean, look at Skyrim.

It's not about giving suggestions for parts that will do fine. It's about giving suggestions for the absolute best parts for the price, with an eye towards upgrade paths. That being the case, do you still think the 6300 deserves to be in there?

Also, Tom's performance benchmarks aren't to be trusted. PCPer, Guru3D, TechReport is who you should be looking at. Not to sound too snobby, but this is insanely precise and delicate work. Tom's is like the IGN of hardware, but almost worse because there's no subjective portion to their reviews.

MisterNoisy

Duuuuude. What's going in it?

mATX gaming build to replace my bigger PC (currently in an NZXT Phantom).

I don't want to disrupt the handles and latches by doing the typical sideways ATX tower layout (I've seen that done online a few times already, and I'm not fond of it), so my plan is a mATX build hanging backplane-up suspended from the lid via some aluminum bars and L-bracket riveted together and riveted to the lid - the orientation will be similar to the Silverstone Raven cases (cables coming out of the top instead of the 'back').

Add rubber feet to elevate it some and a couple of filtered/meshed holes in the bottom for intake and one up top for exhaust.

I picked up a fairly cheap mATX case to pull the the ATX backplane and motherboard tray from already (as well as some drive cages), so between that and the aluminum bracketing and rivets, I should be good. Only downside is that it's going to take forever to build by comparison to the usual process.

Figure all the work will destroy the original finish, so I plan to keep as much of the rust as possible and finish the rest in dark earth, OD or black and shoot for a WWII military radio hardware look.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

You posted no information so I wasn't sure.
Post pictures of the socket area where it happened along with a parts list if possible.

New spreadsheet should be up in a day or two with the new thread.

*Sounds like one of the caps near the PWM of the CPU burnt out? Post pics.

When did that happen? How long did your PC run before it burst into flames (as in how many days did it work without problems)?

For about six months, it had been giving me fan errors. I couldn't figure out what was wrong. It keep going from hot to cold randomly. Then, a few days ago, it shut off, but I assumed the computer had just gone to sleep, so I pressed a button and it took a while but it eventually came back on. My games had also been freezing up and then jolting back to life, most notably AC4. I was playing Sleeping Dogs and all of the sudden my computer shut off and I heard a huge pop. I looked over to see smoke floating up from the back fan as if a gun had gone off. Then I noticed flickering flames coming from my mobo, at first I thought the fan itself had caught fine. I checked the insides today and unbelievably there is no sign there was even fire.

Diablos

Hey, anyone want to make a new banner for the 2014 thread? Goin up tomorrow or the day after.

Alright alright. I get you, and you're right. But the thing is that use you have for yours is extremely niche.
I don't see typical multimedia stuff as niche. Difference of opinion I guess.

I can't tell you how many times someone comes in here looking for upgrades and they have a B/H/Z68/Z77 motherboard with an i3. It's an easy plop in upgrade for huge performance. That alone kind of kicks the 6300 out of place. The single/dual/tri threaded performance of the i3 makes it a better gaming processor. It's a better multiplayer gaming processor. In a very few select amount of titles, the 6300 has a little bump, but not enough to make up for the huge gulf in single/dual threaded games. I mean, look at Skyrim.
I don't think you can go wrong either way. Though it has been said 100 times in the past and still never quite proven to be true a lot of the time, I'd rather have some kind of multicore advantage under the hood, even if it is small, because it seems like more games are starting to use it (is it even fully optimized yet for most engines? I doubt it. Devs seem to be speaking of it more in light of next-gen consoles, we'll see).

It's not about giving suggestions for parts that will do fine. It's about giving suggestions for the absolute best parts for the price, with an eye towards upgrade paths. That being the case, do you still think the 6300 deserves to be in there?
It depends on how you look at it. To me, a 'budget build' is a. conceding that you don't have or want to spend a lot of money, b. are building something that will get you through the next 3-4 years because you don't want your hobby to become crazy expensive, and c. would only need upgrades for things like a GPU or possibly SSD.

I do get why i3 makes sense from the standpoint of upgrading, it is a great socket and you can drop in an i5 or i7 later on if you want. But then you are spending an additional $200 at least on a decent i5, you may still need to upgrade your GPU... it could get messy, depending on your needs. If I'm building something on a budget I want my dollar to last me as long as possible for that build with perhaps room for one upgrade. So I can see how you look at it as well. I plan on getting a nice GPU next year that will give me a lot more life out of this rig. It won't be cutting edge or anywhere close, but it'll get me by at 1080p.

Also, Tom's performance benchmarks aren't to be trusted. PCPer, Guru3D, TechReport is who you should be looking at. Not to sound too snobby, but this is insanely precise and delicate work. Tom's is like the IGN of hardware, but almost worse because there's no subjective portion to their reviews.
Hmm, I don't go there too often. I have always liked xbitlabs.

Hey,
I need some advise for my next build, mainly about cooling.

Msi Z87-G45 Gaming motherboard
Intel Core i5 4670K
8 gb PC12800
amd 7870 (from previous pc)
128 gb ssd samsung 830 (from previous pc).

Now, questions:
1_ a friend of mine is selling his old case Antec fusion max for 50 bucks, and I really like its design (it will sit under my tv): will it fit my needs? (no overclocking planed)
2_ I'm considering a corsaire H60, but see that there are some upgraded models (H75, H80i...): wich one should I go for?
3_what kind of fans should I get alongside the hydro?

wildfire

Banned
No!

The only thing mantle will affect is the driver thread (which uses under half a single SB core even in high end games), it will not do shit for the rest of the game engine (and it will only help games that use mantle in the first place).

Looking back on the article I partially misread it (I was thinking it would help the CPU directly but it's just about the GPU making up for the CPU's deficiencies) but AMD did say their APU overall will be on par with Intel once Mantle is taken into account.

When pressed for details after the briefing, however, Kozak clarified that Kaveri should only be equivalent in terms of combined CPU and GPU compute power. If one measures x86 performance on its own, Kozak said, "we'll lose." However, Kozak expects Kaveri's integrated graphics, bolstered with Mantle support, to be better than the latest version of Intel's HD Graphics.

http://techreport.com/news/25707/all-signs-point-to-kaveri-being-an-evolutionary-upgrade

Yes, you can you use your i3 if you want and get the same savings, and I know you and others love that single core thread but frankly the 6300 seems to be a better value overall outside of single-core for some games that really need it. That's a difference of opinion, though. I place much more importance on how fast I can transcode for a media server/encoding video/compression/editing/etc. outside of gaming because it comes as a really nice perk for the cost in addition to holding its own for practically all of my gaming needs for years to come (reinforced by getting a better GPU down the line of course).

FX CPUs are not good overall CPUs in the general market. You have to have very specific reasons to use them such as virtualization or compiling. Even with some of these cases you have to be careful with what those specific uses mean in the real world as another poster in this forum smartly pointed out.

As for your idea that AMD is better at transcoding. It's not in absolute terms but in terms of cost efficiency it definitely is better. That cost efficiency in one area doesn't make up for its weaknesses in others.

Xamdou

So should I go with 8gb ddr3 @ 1886mhz or 16gb ddr3 @ 1886 mhz? I am looking at a rig that has i7-4770, HDd 2tb, msi z87-g41 Mobo, nvidia GeForce gtx 770 2gb gddr5, thermaltake tough power tp-650P 80 Plus gold ultra quiet ps.

Just wondering if 8gb is enough for high end gaming.

NoRéN

NoRéN;95556364 said:
i hope this isn't a completely stupid question but here goes.

Is it normal for the actual used space and available space to not add up to the total.

ex. 250gb ssd
232gb available
124gb actaul files
87gb free

That's a difference of about 20gb. Is that normal?

So I feel kinda stupid now.

Turns out I forgot to do a few things like
-disable Hibernate
-disable system restore
-Free up extra drive space

That's where the 20gb of ssd space where going.

Josh378

Hey, just wondering if you guys can help me with this delimma:

I have a ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z87 board (i7 4770k) and I was thinking I spending a Max of $160 for 16GB of RAM.

I was thinking of getting:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233536

Because I am going to overclock my ram and I was told that Corsair was the best to do so(and it's having a -$30 off sale..).

However, I saw this as well:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na

I'm wondering if Memory OC should take priority over memory timing (still a noob on this).

I'm kind of leaning towards the Vengeance Pro 1866, but I wanted to hear a second opinion from everyone before I buy it.

Thanks!!!

Specs:

i7 4770k
Ram:???
ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z87
ASUS R9 290 ATI
Corsair HX750
Thermaltake MK-I
Kingston SSD (128GB)
(yes I will be overclocking)

TheD

The Detective
Looking back on the article I partially misread it (I was thinking it would help the CPU directly but it's just about the GPU making up for the CPU's deficiencies) but AMD did say their APU overall will be on par with Intel once Mantle is taken into account.

http://techreport.com/news/25707/all-signs-point-to-kaveri-being-an-evolutionary-upgrade
But a GPU can not make up for a CPU's deficiencies unless those deficiencies happen to map well to a GPU (and the programs are programmed to take advantage of a GPU).
Mantle is alsoonly talked about in that article in regard to how well the integrated GPU will compare to an Intel integrated GPU.

BPoole

Depending on the game, of course?

Does Nvidia have a card that matches the 290s performance for $400? Note that I would need a 3-4GB card since my monitor is 1440p and 2GB doesn't cut it anymore. The closest would be the 780 and that is $100 more and doesn't even beat it out in most games.

Coreda

Does Nvidia have a card that matches the 290s performance for $400? Note that I would need a 3-4GB card since my monitor is 1440p and 2GB doesn't cut it anymore. The closest would be the 780 and that is $100 more and doesn't even beat it out in most games.

My next monitor will be 1440p, and so far I've listed a GTX 760 2GB as the GPU. Will it be not be adequate for current-gen gaming?

BPoole

My next monitor will be 1440p, and so far I've listed a GTX 760 2GB as the GPU. Will it be not be adequate for current-gen gaming?

I'm currently using two 2GB 6950s in crossfire. I've had the 1440p monitor for about 2 years, and most modern games don't look or perform as well as I'd like them to. I always have to bump down textures, shadows, AA, and SSAO is just about every game. I honestly couldn't recommend a 2GB card if you're planning to go to to 1440p. If you're buying a GPU soon, there a guy over on the B/S/T thread selling a 4GB GTX 770 for $315. I'd get that if I were you.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hey, just wondering if you guys can help me with this delimma:

I have a ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z87 board (i7 4770k) and I was thinking I spending a Max of $160 for 16GB of RAM.

I was thinking of getting:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233536

Because I am going to overclock my ram and I was told that Corsair was the best to do so(and it's having a -$30 off sale..).

However, I saw this as well:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na

I'm wondering if Memory OC should take priority over memory timing (still a noob on this).

I'm kind of leaning towards the Vengeance Pro 1866, but I wanted to hear a second opinion from everyone before I buy it.

Thanks!!!

Specs:

i7 4770k
Ram:???
ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z87
ASUS R9 290 ATI
Corsair HX750
Thermaltake MK-I
Kingston SSD (128GB)
(yes I will be overclocking)
It's a mix of speed timing and application, plus which you think looks better. The Vengeance makes a solid metal line which can be attractive, but is extremely tall. At least the Trident you can take off the heatsink fin if you are running an air cooler (They don't do jack).

The Trident should be roughly close to the Corsair sticks and you can OC the Trident to exactly the same as the Corsair without issue. Both offer full lifetime warranty without any hassle, so pick which one you think looks nicer.

More indepth: You can go for 4x4GB for looks (More balance on mobo) and faster RAM speeds, but it might possibly tax your mobo more and lower your maximum CPU overclock in turn.
Also overclocking RAM is like 0-1% increase in performance in most cases from above 1600Mhz/1866Mhz, so on the list of things it's pretty low.
Here's my attempt:

newpcthreadbannerqlbvj.png
Sweet that was fast, you even used abload. Smart man.
If you can get the text a bit bigger and lower the amount of red shadow on the text that would be great.
Also more pop

*I'd suggest going with a 3GB card for 1440p gaming as well, it's part of why I've not been too big a fan of the 2GB GTX770, the 4GB is $50 more.

kharma45

man just updated my rig..
installed Windows 8.1 man it is confusing.. anyone got a guide?

Unpin almost everything from the Start screen and just pin the things that you need. Makes it a whole lot less clutter and more useful then. Play around with different tile sizes too.

Apart from that I've nothing really else to suggest, once you get used to the new Start there isn't really anything confusing. Right clicking on the Start button or using Windows key + X short cut can help with some power user options if you're stuck.

So should I go with 8gb ddr3 @ 1886mhz or 16gb ddr3 @ 1886 mhz? I am looking at a rig that has i7-4770, HDd 2tb, msi z87-g41 Mobo, nvidia GeForce gtx 770 2gb gddr5, thermaltake tough power tp-650P 80 Plus gold ultra quiet ps.

Just wondering if 8gb is enough for high end gaming.

8GB is fine for gaming.

Coreda

Sweet that was fast, you even used abload. Smart man.
If you can get the text a bit bigger and lower the amount of red shadow on the text that would be great.
Also more pop

*I'd suggest going with a 3GB card for 1440p gaming as well, it's part of why I've not been too big a fan of the 2GB GTX770, the 4GB is $50 more.

Sure, updated the original post. Let me know if it suits.

This GPU hunting is something. 1440p certainly costs you in performance (and your wallet lol).

Seanspeed

Banned
It might be adequate(but not great) for many games right now, but for demanding games and looking to the future, a 2GB 760 probably wont cut it at 1440p. When are you planning on getting that monitor?

Coreda

It might be adequate(but not great) for many games right now, but for demanding games and looking to the future, a 2GB 760 probably wont cut it at 1440p. When are you planning on getting that monitor?

Within the next month. After re-checking benchmarks I realize it's not the best for games going forward. Looking for something that will be able to handle high settings, reasonably priced, and won't melt my mITX case. Everyone has slightly differing opinions on the latter.

ScOULaris

This thread is making me very sad that I decided to go with an AMD FX 6300 Black Edition for my budget gaming build. :(

I was going for value at the time and rushing to take advantage of some Black Friday sales, but I thought I was getting something closer to an i5 rather than an i3.

It works fine for now, but I worry about my upgrade options in the future. I'm not the kind of person who needs to run every game at 4k or anything. 1080p and 60fps is all I need.

wilflare

Unpin almost everything from the Start screen and just pin the things that you need. Makes it a whole lot less clutter and more useful then. Play around with different tile sizes too.

Apart from that I've nothing really else to suggest, once you get used to the new Start there isn't really anything confusing. Right clicking on the Start button or using Windows key + X short cut can help with some power user options if you're stuck.

8GB is fine for gaming.

thanks! i remember GAF used to recommend reading some guide that suggested doing a Refresh image or something

Seanspeed

Banned
Within the next month. After re-checking benchmarks I realize it's not the best for games going forward. Looking for something that will be able to handle high settings, reasonably priced, and won't melt my mITX case. Everyone has slightly differing opinions on the latter.
If you cant afford the GPU to power it, you could just hold off on the monitor? Why get it if you wont make good use of it, ya know?

Maybe get the 760 and stick with 1080p for a while longer.

wilflare

not sure where else I can ask..
but I've installed Windows 8.1 Pro

I read there's something about UEFI Fast Boot?
is it necessary to set it?

and Windows 8.1 Pro has this image recovery/refresh function too right?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
[PERFORMANCE MICE]
Vnp7oxv.png
These are intended for competitive gamers. Speed, accuracy, and sensor customization is valued above all.

Spawn is an amazing value designed for claw and hybrid grips. If you absolutely love the MX518 shape, then the G400S is a good choice at $45, but is outperformed by the Rival at $60. The Rival has zero acceleration and interpolation, which are native to all laser mice. Sensei for ambi shape, amazing customization on the firmware level with an outstanding sensor.

r6bXf.png
$30 - CM Storm Spawn . . .
9ez0k7m.png
$45 - Logitech G400S
v3uY0.png
$60 - SS Sensei Raw
qKwllLM.png
$60 - SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Full advocate on the CM Storm Spawn. It's only 30 right now. I think I got it when it was 50 or 55. It doesn't have 20 buttons like some of the other mice but it's very versatile for everyday and most importantly, gaming needs.

While I'm here, I read reviews on SLI 780ti's but I haven't seen one that say if an 850W PSU would be enough for 2 Windforce/DCUII 780ti's. My Seasonic PSU can draw 1000w from the wall (according to a review). Is there anyone else who has SLI 780ti's whether it be reference on non-reference but with the same PSU (regardless of make) as me?

Here's my attempt:

newpcthreadbanner-2al1vu4l.png

BIG PROBLEM.

You should have put Intel first!

kennah

Wouldn't make that much difference since it would have to cache a game when you started playing it anyway. I wouldn't bother.

riflen

While I'm here, I read reviews on SLI 780ti's but I haven't seen one that say if an 850W PSU would be enough for 2 Windforce/DCUII 780ti's. My Seasonic PSU can draw 1000w from the wall (according to a review). Is there anyone else who has SLI 780ti's whether it be reference on non-reference but with the same PSU (regardless of make) as me?

Not the same PSU I'm afraid, but I'm using a Corsair HX850 to power 2 x EVGA 780Ti SC boards. The rest of my system has a pretty uninteresting power draw I'd imagine:

3570K - 4.5Ghz @ 1.21v
2 x SSD
1 x water pump
10 x fans

The PSU powered 2 x GTX570 SC before that, which can use almost as much power at peak.
I've not had a single stability problem or crash. I've no idea what the peak draw is, but I'll try to get a figure for you. I'd guess your PSU will be more than adequate though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Question:

I've got a Biostar TZ77A motherboard sitting around that I got for cheap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138353

Is it worth slapping a i7-3770K in this motherboard? Could I expect some decent overclocking out of it?

Biostar boards have been really good to me. I got one of the early p67 models which was around 90 as well and it OC'd my 2500K to 4.8ghz surprisingly well. It seems like it's not recommended a lot among the higher end enthusiast's but for something that will get you in the door to one of the Intel platforms they're great deals. Of course they do have higher end models but for something like that you might be getting a little less fluff like extra USB ports or expansion bays on top of on board extras. If you want to have a good board that will just OC and do what you tell it to do then you can't go wrong with that one.

I've since moved on to consecutive ASUS boards and they have been amazing but they also cost more than triple the amount of that Biostar :)

Not the same PSU I'm afraid, but I'm using a Corsair HX850 to power 2 x EVGA 780Ti SC boards. The rest of my system has a pretty uninteresting power draw I'd imagine:

3570K - 4.5Ghz @ 1.21v
2 x SSD
1 x water pump
10 x fans

The PSU powered 2 x GTX570 SC before that, which can use almost as much power at peak.
I've not had a single stability problem or crash. I've no idea what the peak draw is, but I'll try to get a figure for you. I'd guess your PSU will be more than adequate though.
This is exactly the type of response I was looking for. I have about 8 chassis fans, an H100i, 1 SSD, and 2 HDD's. It seems like I will be fine if that's the case although my 6 core i7 takes more power than your 3570k. I think I will be fine but I always go on forums and read as much about not just how the parts work but look for similar setups as my own to compare and feel assured I can power these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom