• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need a new battery for my original fat Nintendo DS. I'm looking for suggestions!

Miles708

Hi gents, my fat Nintendo DS battery is, by now, almost completely useless. it doens't recognize when it's charged or not, and using both screens for 3D scenes turns off the console instantly.

I've heard horror stories about third-party PSP batteries exploding, so I'm a bit worried for Nintendo DS too, to I'm asking for help:
where could i find new batteries for my Nintendo DS Fat?
Are there specific brands to buy or avoid?

Thank you very much!

Impotaku

Sadly nintendo made sure it's as hard as possible to get official replacements and now i don't think they will even sell you new ones. The problem with 3rd party ones is they are chinese shit so they always lie about the capacity and they are a random potluck if you are gonna get a decent one that holds a charge for long unfortunately that's all there is. There is one other way but they won't be new but they will be official nintendo batteries, there are a lot of cheap bundles of junk DS consoles on ebay as they will have their batteries you could always buy a pile of junkers & use the batteries in them.

I have to solve this problem myself at some point as i have a small supply of new DS consoles that i have been picking up to last me through the rest of the life of my collection but i keep picking up junk ones off amazon japans marketplace for general play. I have looked just for batteries but they are always the crappy 3rd party ones that usually have rubbish reviews.

Last edited:

Miles708

Sadly nintendo made sure it's as hard as possible to get official replacements and now i don't think they will even sell you new ones. The problem with 3rd party ones is they are chinese shit so they always lie about the capacity and they are a random potluck if you are gonna get a decent one that holds a charge for long unfortunately that's all there is. There is one other way but they won't be new but they will be official nintendo batteries, there are a lot of cheap bundles of junk DS consoles on ebay as they will have their batteries you could always buy a pile of junkers & use the batteries in them.

I have to solve this problem myself at some point as i have a small supply of new DS consoles that i have been picking up to last me through the rest of the life of my collection but i keep picking up junk ones off amazon japans marketplace for general play. I have looked just for batteries but they are always the crappy 3rd party ones that usually have rubbish reviews.

Damn I've figured as much but I still hoped there was some way to get somewhat reliable third-party replacements.
Thanks man

rob305

Try and buy a broken DS thats sold for parts (broken screen or just no longer turning on). Chances are you can get one for a couple of bucks and the battery is still working. Not sure how easy they are to disassemble and replace though

Top Bottom