• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I missed fixed camera RE game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I recently done my first playthrough for original Resident Evil Remake as Jill and I really enjoyed my time with this game. It's been very long time since I played fixed camera RE game and I really thought I'm gonna find gameplay style "dated" but not only I didn't find it "dated" but end up loving the style, it added so much to atmosphere and tension to the game.

I especially like how they put the camera in vey eerie places like someone watching me through the window outside of the mansion or when I explore one of the rooms the camera is under table as if something is hiding in there and when hear enemies but I can't see them makes that much intense.

I still enjoy third person survival horror games like RE4, Evil Within and recently RE2Remake but just like turn based combat in JRPG, I don't think fixed camera RE is "dated", it style choice that one day I like to see Capcom come back to it.

Last edited:

nkarafo

I also like fixed camera RE games but the point of it was pre-rendered backgrounds had more detail than 3D. Now you don't need that. Plus, fixed camera/pre-rendered means you have a very limited perspective.

IMO, the best solution would be a fixed camera RE game using fully 3D graphics, with some camera movement like Code Veronica and a fully playable first person mode for more freedom and being able to explore every little corner.

I miss em too.
I wonder is it possible to use real life photographies instead as prerendered backgrounds. That would be awesome.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I miss it too, but I guess that a bonus mode with it won't work if the game is developed as a third person shooter

xool

Old ways had a lot of dignity. Someways preferable to the camera janking out all over the place. Never did RE, but very fond memories of Onimusha Warlords.

What I don't miss is the disorientation as the camera angle changes from room to room, and immediately going back where I came because directions had basically been 'inverted'

Old ways had a lot of dignity. Someways preferable to the camera janking out all over the place. Never did RE, but very fond memories of Onimusha Warlords.

What I don't miss is the disorientation as the camera angle changes from room to room, and immediately going back where I came because directions had basically been 'inverted'

Thankfully the old RE games didn't do that, you hold up and your character keeps moving forward regardless of camera direction. Only game I've ever had that problem with was devil May Cry 1 and it melted my brain.

There is great work being done with some sort of AI program which "remasters" the old backgrounds in RE2 & 3 and I'm hoping that somehow Capcom will be able to put them out on modern consoles.

Last edited:

bobone

I agree. I would love to see a modern RE game in the old style.
The fixed camera allows them to really focus your attention on certain things in the environment. It's a lot more cinematic in that way.
There are some amazing shots in the old God of War games and in the old RE games because of the fixed camera. I would love to see what they could do with that now.

I certainly don't miss the tank controls and the horrendous aiming of the old RE games tho. That can stay in the past where it belongs.

Vawn

Banned
I miss it too, but I guess that a bonus mode with it won't work if the game is developed as a third person shooter

Well, that is part of the point. Resident Evil wasn't a TPS, it was a 3D Adventure game.

Perhaps, the style of gameplay was born from hardware limitations, but the end product was something unique and could still hold up today, much in the same way as 2D platformers hold up.

molasar

Banned
There is great work being done with some sort of AI program which "remasters" the old backgrounds in RE2 & 3 and I'm hoping that somehow Capcom will be able to put them out on modern consoles.
It is AI Machine Learning but I still prefer PS1 versions of RE1-3 the most. Low resolution of pixelated backgrounds and low polygonal models are blending together nicely. In result, your mind makes an imaginary perfect version of watched images (filling up gaps based on real life) that are better in comparison to non-pixelated sterile backgrounds and lacking details low polygonal models where this process (state of mind) is not executed.

Anyways, I prefer cinematic fixed camera and tank control with auto-aiming than any free camera 3D survival horror games that automatically put me into action mode.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
It is AI Machine Learning but I still prefer PS1 versions of RE1-3 the most. Low resolution of pixelated backgrounds and low polygonal models are blending together nicely. In result your mind makes an imaginary perfected version of images (filling up gaps based on real life) that are better in comparison to non-pixelated sterile backgrounds and lacking details low polygonal models where this process (state of mind) is not executed.

Plus the acting is top-notch!

It is AI Machine Learning but I still prefer PS1 versions of RE1-3 the most. Low resolution of pixelated backgrounds and low polygonal models are blending together nicely. In result, your mind makes an imaginary perfected version of watched images (filling up gaps based on real life) that are better in comparison to non-pixelated sterile backgrounds and lacking details low polygonal models where this process (state of mind) is not executed.

Appreciate the clarification. I'll continue to pester the long suffering RE community manager with requests to stick the old games on switch :)

molasar

Banned
Appreciate the clarification. I'll continue to pester the long suffering RE community manager with requests to stick the old games on switch :)
I am, myself, not bothered with suggesting the manager anything, but I am happy that I could experience those games in 90s.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Castlevania Lords of Shadow made great use of fixed camera angles. (and some not so great)

I would love a hightly detailed, high resolution, pre-rendered background RE game to surface one day.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Code Veronica is still so awesome, if only it had a better presented (or at least less emphasized) story (it's kinda the point they started going nuts with the series, RE4 then went all in on the crazy and the series was never the same) it'd be hailed as a classic alongside 2. The environments and gameplay are spot on.
retroarch_2019_12_23_cujer.png
retroarch_2019_12_23_i8j64.png
retroarch_2019_12_23_v8j0r.png
retroarch_2019_12_23_4ajs0.png
retroarch_2019_12_23_p6jdn.png
retroarch_2019_12_23_erjl9.png
retroarch_2019_12_23_yykr3.png
retroarch_2019_12_23_vaj06.png
retroarch_2019_12_23_gwjnm.png
retroarch_2019_12_23_6rk1a.png

Back then those graphics gave me the impression of some Resident Evil 5 shit. Basically the Darkside Chronicles Code Veronica sections were how I remembered the game looking back then, haha. Plus it's the last time Chris looked human and Claire was beautiful (not as much with the in-game graphics but it's not too bad).

Last edited:

Caffeine

Yes I dont like the term dated since anything can be brought back with some new changes. sadly it was created due to hardware limits. I dont really see it coming back. obscure, and obscure 2 are pretty decent.

Shakka43

Try Detroit Become Human if you haven't. It has a great camera system that lets you switch from behind the character to fixed at any point. It is honestly the best of both worlds and would be perfect for games like modern Resident Evils.

kunonabi

I do too. There is just much more you can do terms of atmosphere and manipulating the player when you have the director in charge of your viewpoint than when the player can just swing the camera wherever they want at any time.

anthraticus

Banned
A lot of these things that were labeled 'dated' by publishers and whatnot (this, tb combat, like you mentioned) was just rhetoric created to fool the consumers into thinking that they have to 'get with the times' now and all get in line for their new awesome action games, or whatever their pushing currently.

Danjin44

Another thing I like to mention, the visual aged pretty damn well I especially like the character models, this one by far has my favourite Jill design.

Saber

Gold Member
Those were the times.

The simplistic yet charming position of cameras(which makes feel like real cameras) makes for a way better experiences than those RE4 wannabes. It gives you kinda of a way to look parts of the screen you have as a whole and think of your way of using those parts in the screen to deal with zombies. Since it has a real tank control, as opposed to RE4, it kinda rewards patience and careful positioning. One calm and smart could evade zombies at ease, if they know the perfect time to dodge them.

It also reminds you that RE is not just about survival horror(although it play a big part). It's a mix of those things.

Last edited:

PooBone

Sad face.

I agree. I miss the static camera angles. The storytellers had so much more control over the atmosphere.

Fake

That's why I love hear your opinion Danjin44 Danjin44 . We have so much in common. Yes, I miss A LOT of Resident Evil fixed camera at the point of complety ignoring all recent Resident Evil games and 'why' I hate so much Resident Evil 4.
I don't know how much time I spend in REmake for Game Cube, but my catalogue from Game Cube is almost 20 games and by far REmake was the game I most spend time.
I dislike the way Capcom treat REmake on modern machine (PS4, Xbox One, NS). The game have some issues and I don't know if you missed, but somehow the music has been change. Only who really played the REmake on GameCube should expot that.
Is really strange because as much I love the series, the term 'Resident Evil' never care my attention. I played on my cousin Playstation 1 the first game called 'Biohazard' with indeed make more sense that 'Resident Evil', besides the first was inside a mansion. Along side with Pandemonium, Biohazard was MY FIRST PLAYSTATION I ever played. This Biohazard came with both colored intro without any cut.
As much I happy about REmake 3, I'll never buy because the lack of fixed camera.

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
Is really strange because as much I love the series, the term 'Resident Evil' never care my attention. I played on my cousin Playstation 1 the first game called 'Biohazard' with indeed make more sense that 'Resident Evil', besides the first was inside a mansion. Along side with Pandemonium, Biohazard was MY FIRST PLAYSTATION I ever played. This Biohazard came with both colored intro without any cut.
As much I happy about REmake 3, I'll never buy because the lack of fixed camera.
I like the Biohazard title more as well but they did not want to have issues with a music band of the same name in the west. Also a Japanese intro of PS1 port is an uncut black and white version.

Last edited:

Fake

I like the Biohazard title more as well but they did not want to have issues with a music band of the same name in the west. Also a Japanese intro of PS1 port is an uncut black and white version.
I guess was the japanese version of Biohazard with dualshock analog update because I remember, besides all japanese language, the 'advance' option with increase the difficult and made some item locations change.
This indeed came with color and uncut intro.

Airola

Thankfully the old RE games didn't do that, you hold up and your character keeps moving forward regardless of camera direction. Only game I've ever had that problem with was devil May Cry 1 and it melted my brain.

Yeah, it's tank controls that make moving around in those games nice. I played the RE1 Remaster earlier this year and tried to play with non tank controls and it was terrible.

Press up and you go the direction the character faces. I don't understand people who can't stand tank controls. To me that's the only way to play that type of games with fixed camera angles properly.

molasar

Banned
I guess was the japanese version of Biohazard with dualshock analog update because I remember, besides all japanese language, the 'advance' option with increase the difficult and made some item locations change.
This indeed came with color and uncut intro.
I am not 100% sure but all Japanese PS1 editions-Standard, Director's Cut and DC Dual Shock Ver. have black and white uncut intro.

Last edited:

Fake

I am not 100% shure but all Japanese PS1 editions-Standard, Director's Cut and DC Duals Shock Ver. have black and white uncut intro.
There're so many versions of the japanese version mind you as much the PAL/NTSC. I even don't remember if was analog ver or not, but came with 'advance' option and when I selected they made some changes to Jill clothes at the point I mistake her with Rebecca.

Airola

It is AI Machine Learning but I still prefer PS1 versions of RE1-3 the most. Low resolution of pixelated backgrounds and low polygonal models are blending together nicely. In result, your mind makes an imaginary perfect version of watched images (filling up gaps based on real life) that are better in comparison to non-pixelated sterile backgrounds and lacking details low polygonal models where this process (state of mind) is not executed.

Anyways, I prefer cinematic fixed camera and tank control with auto-aiming than any free camera 3D survival horror games that automatically put me into action mode.

Not only that but I think the RE1 Remake overdoes the gothic horror style too. It's shadows and moody lighting everywhere. I find the mansion way more interesting in the PS1 version because it looks like an ordinary mansion and not some horror movie set piece.

But maybe that was the best for the Remake. I'm not sure how a regular type of a mansion would feel with high resolution graphics.

molasar

Banned
There're so many versions of the japanese version mind you as much the PAL/NTSC. I even don't remember if was analog ver or not, but came with 'advance' option and when I selected they made some changes to Jill clothes at the point I mistake her with Rebecca.
AFAIK the color intro is only in French and German Director's Cut version of all PS1 editions.

Fake

AFAIK the color intro is only in French and German Director's Cut version of all PS1 editions.
Some versions and even PC came with color intro. Capcom had a strange decision of start with color, remove color sometime later and put back. This case don't even match the Revenge of Shinobi for SEGA genesis about licenses problems.
I played the Director's Cut when I got more young, but the verison I played as a kid lack the 'Director's Cut' logo in the start.
I really don't know what version was that. Don't mind my persistence, in Brazil we get all sorts of games with 'difference' because 'piracy'.

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
Not only that but I think the RE1 Remake overdoes the gothic horror style too. It's shadows and moody lighting everywhere. I find the mansion way more interesting in the PS1 version because it looks like an ordinary mansion and not some horror movie set piece.

But maybe that was the best for the Remake. I'm not sure how a regular type of a mansion would feel with high resolution graphics.
Let's not forget that in 1996 we just left 16-bit consoles which could not run this game.

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
Some versions and even PC came with color intro. Capcom had a strange decision of start with color, remove color sometime later and put back. This case don't even match the Revenge of Shinobi for SEGA genesis about licenses problems.
I played the Director's Cut when I got more young, but the verison I played as a kid lack the 'Director's Cut' logo in the start.
I really don't know what version was that. Don't mind my persistence, in Brazil we get all sorts of games with 'difference' because 'piracy'.
Do not worry. I was just checking with you because there might be a version of it on PS1 I have not heard about.

Last edited:

@gkTH

Previously, I was always missing that fixed camera too.
But after completed RE2 Remake, no need it anymore... (and no FPS please). LoL

Danjin44

Previously, I was always missing that fixed camera too.
But after completed RE2 Remake, no need it anymore... (and no FPS please). LoL
I can enjoy both and there is room for both just like how there is room for both turn based and action combat in RPGs.

REmake > REmake 2.
I'm surprised how much I liked the character models in original RE Remake more than RE2 Remake, it has nice balance of being realistic and stylize. I think Capcom still can use RE engine more stylize character models instead going for hyper realism.

Last edited:
I prefer pre-rendered backgrounds in these types of games. Not only can they look great, they also create a disorientating, claustrophobic tension because you don't have full oversight of the very area you're in. One room may be broken down into multiple, very different screens/perspectives. While Resident Evil - Code: Veronica was a good game, it was a big step backwards compared to the titles before it, and I think that the 3D element played a huge role in it (as well as the game's settings). Besides the other Resident Evil titles I got on the Dreamcast, I considered Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare vastly superior to the aforementioned game.

Never had any problems with the so-called "tank controls" either. In fact, I like them a lot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom