• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I miss TV/Movie license games. Name some of your favorites.

kiphalfton

Was just thinking about how tv/movie license games were HUGE in the PS2 era and before.

Not all of them were great, but seeing the trailers or announcements for them was fun. Seeing Rugrats, Toy Story, etc. commercials on TV.

Since then, we've had mostly just DBZ games, and other anime games that have been made into musou games.

Am I the only one who misses this stuff? Maybe I'm just feeling nostalgic, but then again I still see people mention Simpsons Hit and Run, Goldeneye, Superman 64, Lord of the Rings Return of the King, Spider-Man 2, and various other licensed games as being personal favorites.

Yeah, now there seems to be the other way around and there are lots of game licensed movies and series, like Castlevania, Dragon's Dogma and even Monster Hunter.

Kuranghi

Does Aliens vs. Predator count? Because I super miss that, being a freaky alien and going upside down, then dropping down next to a civilian npc (scientists?) and do the roar taunt and make them start crying. Or spearing a marine all the body parts of a marine to the wall with your awesome programmable-shot-count speargun. Or just blowing the limbs off aliens as a marine and trying to avoid the acid blood sprays.

The good ol' days!

We need a return to more experimental game design, where you can be OP if you want to, or make the game super challenging, you know, for fun!

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
Man, there was some really good ones over the years...

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay
LOTR: The Two Towers, Return of the King, Conquest
Ghostbusters
Alien Vs Predator 1/2
Alien Isolation
Predator: Concrete Jungle
Minority Report (the game was my guilty pleasure, ragdoll + destructible environments = fun)
Super Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi
Friday the 13th
Goldeneye
Hook
The Thing

Lord knows there's others, lol.

The Lord of the Rings games from EA are still a blast to play these days. Crazy to think they even managed to do a turn based RPG in The Third Age & an SRPG for the PSP with Tactics

MarlboroRed

j5e8Kcr.jpg

SafeOrAlone

Banned
We all love the classic TMNT beat-em-up's. It's just a shame that the Platinum game was a dud.

I enjoyed the Transformer games from a couple generations ago. Forgot who made them - High Moon?

Some of my fav picks in this thread:
Chronicles of Riddick
Spider-Man 2
Simpsons

I'd like to see something we can all scratch our head at, like a "Better Call Saul" game.
Or something with actual novel potential, like a "Twilight Zone" game.

Hell, at least give us another 50 cent.

Last edited:
TMNT arcade was too much fun 4 player, then it arrive on home consoles.

Goldeneye will always have that entry into gaming hall of fame, both the solo campaign and multiplayer.

One of The Matrix games was just too fun to play as NEO.

The recent Batman series have been stellar.

Jedi Fallen Order was something special for solo campaign.

Transformers: devastation

Totally forgot about this one, my son and I blasted through this game. Megatron was an ass to kill at the end for us. Absolutely loved the Gen1 quality and attention to detail.

Last edited:

kyussman

Yea,we don't seem to get those license type games much now unless it's Star Wars or super heroes but it does feel like there is a lot of overlap between TV and games these days....stuff like Assassins's Creed Black Flag/Black Sails,Assassin's Creed Valhalla/The Last Kingdom and Vikings.Days Gone/The Walking Dead....and of course we have stuff like The Witcher and TLoU going over to TV.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Aladdin
Lion king
Who framed roger rabbit - nes
gremlins 2 - nes
Goodies 2 - nes
Star Wars trilogy of games - snes
Blade runner -pc

Null Persp

Star Wars Games
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Blade Runner
Chronicles of Riddick
Dune 1 & 2
Batman The movie
Alien 3
Alien Isolation
Robocop c64
Lethal Weapon
Elvira games

Well, there are too many to list.

MrMephistoX

I only really miss the arcade and console stuff Konami used to put out like TMNT, Simpsons and the X-men. I really can’t think of any western developed licensed games not made by WB Interactive or Star Wars that I’ve liked in the last 20 years.

Last edited:

GreenAlien

Instead of expensive TV/movie licenses, they should really start licensing "almost" unknown "cheap" books for guidance, The Witcher showed how well that can work. Videogame scenario writers just need something to work with, if they were good enough to be original authors they would be doing that instead of writing for video games.. But give them something to "translate" to the medium and it might really shine.. (as long as they avoid developing the arrogance of Hollywood writers..)

anyway..
Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone (GBC)
Mission Impossible (N64)
Various Star Wars games
Various James Bond games

Kuranghi

Man, there was some really good ones over the years...

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay
LOTR: The Two Towers, Return of the King, Conquest
Ghostbusters
Alien Vs Predator 1/2
Alien Isolation
Predator: Concrete Jungle
Minority Report (the game was my guilty pleasure, ragdoll + destructible environments = fun)
Super Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi
Friday the 13th
Goldeneye
Hook
The Thing

Lord knows there's others, lol.

I still never beat Hook to this day, one of the first adventure games I ever played I believe. Should get on it, I know there were some maddening parts in it, any hot tips?

Kuranghi

One of my best licensed games memories. This one and the prisoner of azkaban were amazing, with a level of freedom in hogwarts that has never been done again yet.

3scKSfZ.jpg

Yeah is this the one where you have to smash bottles my making a plate throwing enemy target you but miss? I watched EZA play a bit of that and you're right it did seem really inventive.

Top Bottom