• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I miss this era of playstation so much

Umbasaborne

Banned

Will we ever get back to this? To big playstation press conferences like e3 or playstation experience (rip)? Or are those days long behind us, and the future is underwhelming state of plays. I miss the giant bomb live reactions and this era of playstation so much. So many hype announcements and moments, the god of war orchestra, ff 7 remake announcement, kingdom hearts 3 announcement, ect. Maybe the state of plays work for them and they have no reason to ever go back, but as a fan who ate this shit up, id be lying if i said i wasn’t disappointed.

Fahdis

747806.jpg

It's the digital age. You will sit at home and watch your hype shows like STATE OF PLAY forever!

I could care less how many resources and money they waste on big show presentations. Keep your orchestras, smoke machines, cars on stage, guest celebrities.

Make great games and show them to me when they're ready to be shown - online, that's how I am going to see them anyway.

TonyK

It doesn't have sense to do those big events to show the indie crap we see in each State of Play. The first step to justify a show like those is to have big games to show.

Umbasaborne

Banned
747806.jpg

It's the digital age. You will sit at home and watch your hype shows like STATE OF PLAY forever!

LinedPlayfulDragon-max-1mb.gif

I know it to be true, i just didnt want to believe that jimbo and covid would do us dirty like this.

remember how much playstation experience ruled!? It was like second e3 around the holidays

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I just really look forward to being excited about releases. I'm happy for folks that have a ton of titles to look forward to this year. Me? I have a FEW, but man, I miss events and reveal shows that make me lose my ever living shit, haha.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I just really look forward to being excited about releases. I'm happy for folks that have a ton of titles to look forward to this year. Me? I have a FEW, but man, I miss events and reveal shows that make me lose my ever living shit, haha.

the first half of this year is barren af

Airbus Jr

Banned
It doesnt matter for me wether its online viewing or big show on the floor theyre both great

What i really miss the most are those two guys Shuhei Yoshida and Shawn Layden

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Very true, and I'm sure a ton of us expected that because of COVID and all. But that still doesn't change the fact that it... sucks, haha.

Lately I've had that feeling of, "I really want to play something", but then I look at what's available and nothing sounds appealing.

first world problems but having next gen consoles with not much to really push them and show off the power has been a little dissapointing. The next big next gen game (returnal) is still two months away

Bartski

Gold Member
I've been watching all of E3 live since internet video streaming became a thing (2005 ish?) and I do miss some of the large conference hype but at the end of the day it's all about games

Fahdis

LinedPlayfulDragon-max-1mb.gif

I know it to be true, i just didnt want to believe that jimbo and covid would do us dirty like this.

remember how much playstation experience ruled!? It was like second e3 around the holidays

I went to 2 of them in Anaheim in the back to back years. I only did so to get my PS Cards signed by every exec. I will probably sell them in the next 10 years to some pathetic schmuck for a 100K. Screencap this.

Pejo

I actually went to the Playstation Experience in SF the year that FFVII remake was revealed there. It was a fantastic experience and I'm super glad I got to go, since it all went downhill from there. Playstation has really lost its identity in my eyes, and its turn-heel on weebs and the Japanese market has pretty much soured me on them and their corporate plan moving forward. I liked Sony for the weird 3rd party games and the quirky first party stuff that had a huge variety of exclusive content. Now it's the old Xbox model of buying exclusivity and working on 2-3 big sequels a year and leaning on indies and 3rd parties to make your library enticing.

I always get shit on for this, but PS3 gen was my absolute favorite gen of Playstation. They made some mistakes early, but then leaned into them and brought out a really diverse and fun library of '7/8 out of 10' games that are still some of my favorites. The fact that Studio Japan is now basically gone really makes me lose any excitement for Playstation that I had left.

I also haven't liked anyone at the corporate suit level since Kaz/Jack and Shu when he was allowed to talk to people.

yos234j0c.gif

Umbasaborne

Banned
I actually went to the Playstation Experience in SF the year that FFVII remake was revealed there. It was a fantastic experience and I'm super glad I got to go, since it all went downhill from there. Playstation has really lost its identity in my eyes, and its turn-heel on weebs and the Japanese market has pretty much soured me on them and their corporate plan moving forward. I liked Sony for the weird 3rd party games and the quirky first party stuff that had a huge variety of exclusive content. Now it's the old Xbox model of buying exclusivity and working on 2-3 big sequels a year and leaning on indies and 3rd parties to make your library enticing.

I always get shit on for this, but PS3 gen was my absolute favorite gen of Playstation. They made some mistakes early, but then leaned into them and brought out a really diverse and fun library of '7/8 out of 10' games that are still some of my favorites. The fact that Studio Japan is now basically gone really makes me lose any excitement for Playstation that I had left.

I also haven't liked anyone at the corporate suit level since Kaz/Jack and Shu when he was allowed to talk to people.

yos234j0c.gif
I agree, the late ps3/early to mid ps4 era of sony was arguably playstation at its best. Big epic first party games combined with smaller more experimental first party and exclusive stuff. They were firing on all cylinders. Its like now they dont have to fire on all cylinders so they just dont. They did lose their identity and its sort of tragic

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I agree, the late ps3/early to mid ps4 era of sony was arguably playstation at its best. Big epic first party games combined with smaller more experimental first party and exclusive stuff. They were firing on all cylinders. Its like now they dont have to fire on all cylinders so they just dont. They did lose their identity and its sort of tragic
Aren't they still doing this though with big epic 1st party games and smaller stuff like Dreams, Concrete Genie, Astro's Playroom, Sackboy, etc

fart town usa

Gold Member
I loved the E3 presentations with Jack and Kaz, back when the PS3 was really turning itself around and gaining steam. Man those conferences were so awesome. It really did feel like a battle back then between the PS3 and 360.

TonyK

the big games are all old, flat tired ideas by now
I don't know, personally I prefer the next Naughty Dog, Santa Monica or Rockstar game than any indie game that looks like an android cellphone game.

Said that, Inside or Soma are amazing indie games, so it's not a matter of not liking all indie games, but I feel indies (and AAA games) abuse of reusing same ideas. Almost all games are boring these days, but at least AAA are less uglier.

I don't know, personally I prefer the next Naughty Dog, Santa Monica or Rockstar game than any indie game that looks like an android cellphone game.

Said that, Inside or Soma are amazing indie games, so it's not a matter of not liking all indie games, but I feel indies (and AAA games) abuse of reusing same ideas. Almost all games are boring these days, but at least AAA are less uglier.
I don't like indies that try to look like 80s games and play like retarded and nothing like the classics at all.

Still, I truly love Sundered, Don't Starve, Hyper Light Drifter and Dead Cells, along others. They bring clever new ideas to old genres and succeed in being delicious and highly replayable. Check them out. check VR too, it's the only really new thing in gaming in a very long while.

Calverz

Lol i was expecting this to herald back to the early ps1 days or maybe the kutaragi ps2 days. But no. Literally last generation. 🤣🤣

Last edited:

decisions

Hopefully after COVID we get E3 back. State of Plays feel like constantly being invited to a party where you show up and there's a few people in suits playing beer pong while a random YT playlist of trailers for games that were already announced plays in the background,.

I'm kinda sour that I didn't manage to scoop up Tokyo Jungle, Rain, and, The last guy Asian English physical PS3 versions while they were in print or at least have gotten difficult to find. It irks me SCEE never took a chance on them in the west too (aside from SCEA squeezing in Tokyo jungle with the Best of Playstation network volume 1). They got so little exposure compared to the likes of Uncharted which is another factor to count in as to why Japan studio might've struggled or underperformed. It always seemed like they drew the shortest straw in the marketing rounds.

We'll likely never see crazy shit like those games come out of Sony again.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Will we ever get back to this? To big playstation press conferences like e3 or playstation experience (rip)? Or are those days long behind us, and the future is underwhelming state of plays. I miss the giant bomb live reactions and this era of playstation so much. So many hype announcements and moments, the god of war orchestra, ff 7 remake announcement, kingdom hearts 3 announcement, ect. Maybe the state of plays work for them and they have no reason to ever go back, but as a fan who ate this shit up, id be lying if i said i wasn’t disappointed.

Have you noticed you're remembering more marketing and hype building moments than the actual games?

Top Bottom