• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I May Try And Start Getting Into LotR and Harry Potter

August has been one of the most depressing months I have ever experienced in a long time.

It was an absolute nightmare hell of a month that affected me greatly on a mental and even physical level. It is some of the most depressed I have ever been.

Recently, with this Rings of Power series being hyped and the new Harry Potter Hogwarts video game, I'm actually showing an interest in Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, two franchises I was previously not interested in ever getting into.

In fact, I was sort of against these franchises and found them dull and too slow. That might sound odd for somebody like me who is a big fan of Dungeons and Dragons and other fantasy in general.

However, I am finding a newfound interest in Lord of the Rings and the Harry Potter franchises. That includes all the expanded universe stuff like whatever is part of Lord of the Rings or The Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

I'm going into these because I actually know very little about the Lord of the Rings universe and the Harry Potter universe. I know almost next to nothing about both universes.

I think it was this depressing month of August that is starting to awaken that in me.

However, there was another factor here and that is the book Skinwalkers at the Pentagon. I'm finding this book to be increasingly disturbing and it's opening up a reality that is legitimately scary.

The negativity and the frightening stories are making me very uneasy and I realize I need dreamlike worlds and fantasy like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter to counteract what I consider to be real life supernatural horror, as best as I can describe it. Very negative and very dark real paranormal horror.

I do not want to spoil the Skinwalkers at the Pentagon book but I reached a point about a child in bed being invaded by malevolent entities that really did it for me. That really scared the living crap out of me.

So now, I am converting, for lack of a better term, to Fantasy that I always sort of had some interest in which would be the Lord of the Rings, Middle Earth and Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts.

I know very little about these franchises so it will be fun going into them and learning about these worlds and swaying myself away from what is possibly real life horror.

I need to move away from this negativity for now. Plus, the new Harry Potter game that is coming out legitimately looks very good so that in itself is a big plus.

I think it's time for me to move on to Fantasy right now and to those two franchises that I starting to show some interest in.

The implications in the Skinwalkers at the Pentagon is far too frightening for me now. I don't really want to delve too much further into it. I need a break. I need a world of Dreams to delve into and these two franchises seem like the right way to go for now.

I do want to emphasize once again that August was and almost literal nightmare of a month that greatly affected me mentally and physically. I never want to have to go through that again. But I know at some point I will have to.

I do want to mention one other thing. I know some people here might suggest I stay away from fantasy and focused on some kind of positive real life phenomenon. So before you mention that to me, yes I am considering converting to full-blown Judaism at the very least.

Last edited:
Hit the gym.

After that, watch the LOTR movies extended edition, while drinking a protein shake. Also watch all the behind the scenes footage. The movies are loved in equal measure for the movies themselves and the lore surrounding that fantasy world, but also the actual real life process of making the film that was documented in extensive detail. The behind the scenes footage is 9 hours per film, and shows every aspect of production from sketching and storyboarding to the manufacturing of armor pieces and sets, to the fun stuff the actors get up to. It's all very fun and positive stuff, and you learn more about the lore and the setting along the way. Then after doing that for all 3 films, start the Amazon series I guess.

I'm not really into Harry Potter at all. I just watched the first one, which was a decent enough wizard / kid fantasy.

Last edited:
Hit the gym.

After that, watch the LOTR movies extended edition, while drinking a protein shake. Also watch all the behind the scenes footage. The movies are loved in equal measure for the movies themselves and the lore surrounding that fantasy world, but also the actual real life process of making the film that was documented in extensive detail. The behind the scenes footage is 9 hours per film, and shows every aspect of production from sketching and storyboarding to the manufacturing of armor pieces and sets, to the fun stuff the actors get up to. It's all very fun and positive stuff, and you learn more about the lore and the setting along the way. Then after doing that for all 3 films, start the Amazon series I guess.

I'm not really into Harry Potter at all. I just watched the first one, which was a decent enough wizard / kid fantasy.
Thank you for the information and reassuring messages. I really appreciate that you took your time here to talk to me about these things.

Oh, I wanted to say that's funny you mentioned protein drink because I have been consuming a lot of those. Mostly the Boost brand of chocolate shakes. Also Ensure.

I've been losing a lot of sleep. I have terrible insomnia and no appetite of course there are days I do have appetite but today for instance my appetite is small.

I should also mention that this all started in the middle of August when my dog got very sick. She was crawling on one foot and this was what started it all and I apologize for forgetting to bring that up in the original post. That was a major factor in my depression. I was afraid to my dog was going to die and I had cried for a full week, every day.

Regarding my dog status right now, she is still limping but otherwise is acting very normal and an extremely good spirits. I am giving her glucosamine supplements as suggested by the doctors.

So the dog is improving amazingly well and is actually probably more mentally and physically healthy than either me or my father who I caregiver for.

But, I did want to mention also that the book I was reading entitled Skinwalkers at the Pentagon did indeed frighten me a great deal and I realize people will be laughing at me for my belief in a lot of the events that happen in that book. But I don't want to dwell on that.

So right now between my job as a caregiver, I want to focus on learning more about Middle Earth and Hogwarts and all the related material to those.

Thank you for the information and reassuring messages. I really appreciate that you took your time here to talk to me about these things.

Oh, I wanted to say that's funny you mentioned protein drink because I have been consuming a lot of those. Mostly the Boost brand of chocolate shakes. Also Ensure.

I've been losing a lot of sleep. I have terrible insomnia and no appetite of course there are days I do have appetite but today for instance my appetite is small.

I should also mention that this all started in the middle of August when my dog got very sick. She was crawling on one foot and this was what started it all and I apologize for forgetting to bring that up in the original post. That was a major factor in my depression. I was afraid to my dog was going to die and I had cried for a full week, every day.

Regarding my dog status right now, she is still limping but otherwise is acting very normal and an extremely good spirits. I am giving her glucosamine supplements as suggested by the doctors.

So the dog is improving amazingly well and is actually probably more mentally and physically healthy than either me or my father who I caregiver for.

But, I did want to mention also that the book I was reading entitled Skinwalkers at the Pentagon did indeed frighten me a great deal and I realize people will be laughing at me for my belief in a lot of the events that happen in that book. But I don't want to dwell on that.

So right now between my job as a caregiver, I want to focus on learning more about Middle Earth and Hogwarts and all the related material to those.
That's brutal, but I'm glad your dog is feeling better. Sounds like you're doing a good job helping him through it! Keep it up.

And yeah, maybe put down the Skinwalkers book I think lol. Doesn't sound like a good fit.

Lord of the Rings is a good watch. It's just classic D&D stuff. The Hobbit movies are there as well if you want, but they're pretty lame.

sol_bad

I've been wanting to rewatch the Harry Potter movies, I haven't seen them since they were in The cinemas. Still trying to convince my wife.

GreenAlien

Who needs religion? Just make sure to descend into fanfiction once you are done with the primary stuff, there is no bottom and the journey never ends.

FunkMiller

That Skinwalkers book sounds like typical conspiratorial horseshit OP. No need to be scared of anything in it. Stop reading garbage like it, and maybe try some books about science and rationality.

Religion won’t do anything other than fill your head with more nonsense. Avoid it. Sounds like you could do with being a little more grounded about the world, which will help your mental health no end.

I‘d recommend LotR over Harry Potter.

Last edited:
That Skinwalkers book sounds like typical conspiratorial horseshit OP. No need to be scared of anything in it. Stop reading garbage like it, and maybe try some books about science and rationality.

Religion won’t do anything other than fill your head with more nonsense. Avoid it. Sounds like you could do with being a little more grounded about the world, which will help your mental health no end.

I second this. The LOTR stuff would help far more based on what you're going through. It's very heroic and inspirational. Harry Potter is fine but it gets depressing as you progress through it.

Last edited:

Ironically enough, I believe most major scientific studies done on the subject have come to the conclusion that people who are religious have better mental health, like it or not. Nothing against atheists, but that's just the truth of the matter.

As for the OP, I'd suggest starting with Harry Potter, as those are a bit more lighthearted than LOTR, at least for the first few movies. They do get a bit darker toward the end.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
LOTR is special. I probably watch the trilogy once a year.

I tried getting into the Harry Potter series very late and watched the first 4 movies or something with my son. Didn’t grab me like it seemed to grab everyone else. So much shit going on and they felt like a fever dream. I swear the movies just jump scene to scene with no proper flow.

TBH when I’m feeling down. Seinfeld is my go to feel good show. Always helps.

Last edited:
i love both LOTR and HP so i say DO IT.

i think the HP books are better than the movies but that's not to say they are bad. they do leave a lot of stuff out and if you've never read the books or don't plan on it then they will be a fun watch. i don't think it matters if you watch the movies or read the books first. if you do watch the movies i highly recommend going on to read the books (if you enjoyed the movies of course). if you do read the books... whatever you do DO NOT read Cursed Child. Rowling tried to say it was book 8 but it's fucking trash. It takes a huge fucking dump on the books. It reads like a badly written fan fiction. Avoid it at all costs.

with LOTR you can't really go wrong. the books are classics and so are the movies. in my opinion if you watch the movies the only way to do it is watch the extended editions. they aren't something you can just put on and watch. you need to plan your time around them. the total run time is about 12 hours. not sure what it would be without credits but still you need to dedicate the time to them. at a push i would say you could skip the 3rd movie extended edition and go with the theatrical but it's not something i'd do.

the hobbit movies aren't on the same level as the trilogy movies. i'd leave them until after you watch the trilogy and if you really want more. with LOTR you could argue that the movies could be even longer but with the hobbit they tried stretching a ~300 page book into 8 hours of movie. for comparison, LOTR movies are 12 hours and they have ~1200 pages. so you're getting more or less about 100 pages per hour. The Hobbit is about 37 pages per hour. There is a lot of filler added to say the least...

FunkMiller

Ironically enough, I believe most major scientific studies done on the subject have come to the conclusion that people who are religious have better mental health, like it or not. Nothing against atheists, but that's just the truth of the matter.

As for the OP, I'd suggest starting with Harry Potter, as those are a bit more lighthearted than LOTR, at least for the first few movies. They do get a bit darker toward the end.

Nope.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0049089X17308062

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/...1812/the-mental-health-atheists-and-the-nones

The info you’re getting is from pro-religious organisations and studies.

I think you might be mistaken here. Both of those links only suggest there isn't a difference when it comes to lapsed believers who aren't practicing their faith. The "nones" as that second article labels them.

On another note, if you haven't watched it OP, I'd suggest trying some Star Trek. There's a lot of it, and you don't get much more scientific fiction than that. While not fantasy, it might be nice after the negativity and dark subject matter that you've been reading about.

Last edited:

Lasha

LotR and the Hobbit are definitely worth a read. You will probably find Harry Potter too childish. I would recommend something more adult like the Witcher. You will get a much more fleshed out fantasy world that is also hilarious at times.

Tams

Gold Member
Going by the shit your reading at the moment, no wonder you feel bad. Just, why?!

Sure, read Harry Potter and The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings. I suggest Harry Potter first, then The Hobbit, and then the LOTR trilogy. Watch them first, or don't; whatever floats your boat. The Harry Potter audio books are also great.

As Punished Miku Punished Miku suggested, exercise. Every day. And that should be your focus, not the protein shake - that's just an extra.

And again, stop consuming that Pentagon-whatever type shite. There was a good thread of books for children/teens here recently - that's a good starting point for a reading/watching list.

It's never too late to get into these beloved franchises, but there was something about being a part of the culture back then. Unfortunately that's not possible for you OP, but you can still enjoy them nonetheless.

Neolombax

LOTR books are okay, not that fun of a read for me because of the language barrier for me. Probably wont be an issue for you but the usage of flowery words confuse me sometimes. I much prefer the harry potter books, language is much more to the point. BUT the books convey more adult and darker themes book 4 onwards...this is just because u mentioned wanting to steer away from negative themes so, reader beware i guess.

Winter John

I never read any of that Harry Potter stuff. It always seemed, well, you know. LOTR is pretty damn good though. It's all about a group of British kids searching for lost jewellery or some shit. As for that Skinwalker nonsense let me put your mind at ease. It's all bullshit. You know how it started? It started because the owners needed to sell their property and nobody wanted it. So they invented some bullshit about ghosts and aliens to generate interest. That caught the attention of some rich dumbass who took it off their hands. Obviously he realized he'd been conned but is he going to admit that in public? Fuck no. So what do? Why, keep the bullshit rolling of course. Get the weirdos suckered in. Make a TV show. Earn some cash then sell it onto some other idiot. That right there is your Skinwalker ranch.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Just be prepared, if you read the LOTR book, it's so damn descriptive about everything. I don't think I could even make it 100 pages in. Slow paced is an understatement.

Last edited:

Rockondevil

Gold Member
Both are amazing and definitely easy to get into.
Read and watched both, several times. For me LOTR movies are some of the best ever made. And Harry Potter books are equally as great.

Darkmakaimura Darkmakaimura , I have well over a decade's worth of listening to sci-fi/fantasy audiobooks, PM me if you want a few choice picks of non grim-dark fiction in those generes.

Concerning the specific question of the OP, LotR is always a great read. I listen through the trilogy at least once every 2 years, and always get something new out of it. Harry Potter I have no experience with outside of the films.

pramod

Banned
I just could not get into the HP universe. And it has nothing to do with the characters or whatever. Its just that for a fantasy based world to work for me, it has to make sense at a basic level. Ie some kind of logical consistency. After watching most of the HP movies and spinoffs, i still do not understand how magic "works" in that universe. Ie what makes one wizard more powerful than the other? What determines who "wins" a magic battle? Is it based on strategy? Knowledge of spells? Who can cast quick and wave their wand faster? The movies never seem to explain any of how it works.

LOTR has some of those problems too but it also tend to be a pretty logical grounded fantasy world despite all the stuff with magic rings and dark lords. Battles are won with who has the bigger or stronger army. We know Sauron can be defeated in only one way etc.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I would suggest the book "Quantum" by Tom Grace as a nice palette cleanser

Then read The Hobbit and THEN watch the extended editions of LOTR...

And as someone said, get into Star Trek... There's so much lore and positivity!

AND since you're diving back into religion, I'd suggest praying for God to lead your heart to him. Ask him to help you do his will... Open up your heart to his blessings!

🤟

dbilyliker

DnD comes from LotR, in some ways. I think it won't fail you.
I'd like to read HP more than watch the movies, though they both...good?

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I just could not get into the HP universe. And it has nothing to do with the characters or whatever. Its just that for a fantasy based world to work for me, it has to make sense at a basic level. Ie some kind of logical consistency. After watching most of the HP movies and spinoffs, i still do not understand how magic "works" in that universe. Ie what makes one wizard more powerful than the other? What determines who "wins" a magic battle? Is it based on strategy? Knowledge of spells? Who can cast quick and wave their wand faster? The movies never seem to explain any of how it works.

LOTR has some of those problems too but it also tend to be a pretty logical grounded fantasy world despite all the stuff with magic rings and dark lords. Battles are won with who has the bigger or stronger army. We know Sauron can be defeated in only one way etc.
HP - if you want a solid magic system read anything by Sanderson, this guy has a template for believable worldbuilding.

LotR - ironically the things you mentioned are both due to Tolkien’s experience and background:
1. Items have power as they did in Scandinavian myths e.g. Loki’s chain, Thor’s hammer, etc.
2. Each creature has a clear level on where they belong - Sauron is a Maya, so only another Maya and above (the Valar) can defeat him. He fucked up big time by putting so much of his power in the One Ring.

Unironically true.
There seems to be some kind of hatred. Okay, so hatred maybe a strong word. But anyways, hatred, of people who like one will dislike the other. Harry Potter fans hate Lord of the Rings and Lord of the Rings fans hate Harry Potter.

Since I know very little about either of them I can't really say I hate either.

What I like about Lord of the Rings is the traditional fantasy world. It's sort of what I'm used to since I'm a Dungeons & Dragons fan ever since I was a kid.

Harry Potter seems to draw more on Victorian fairy tale. Like I remember all these Victorian fairy tale books and encyclopedias and so Harry Potter is not this epic Fantasy World with every Quest but more like magic creatures and alchemy shops.

I think a good example for Hairy's Potter would be Changeling: the Dreaming by white wolf or that old Amazing Engine game, For Fairy Queen and Country.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
Harry Potter is full on fantasy. You need to not think of it has based on our reality to enjoy it (which many people can). Sure, it takes place in our world and that's a lot of its appeal, but you need to just accept that magic exists in it.

Also, I think too seriously thinking about how the magic works is a waste of time. It's like wondering how muscles work. Or why some people are more creative and imaginative. Just accept that it's an ability that the more you train it, the better you tend to get at it, and that some people just have an inate ability for it.

Lord of the Rings is a lot heavier. The Hobbit is a lot more accessible and I'd only go onto Lord of the Rings if you loved The Hobbit (and even then...)

I think something like Discworld or The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy are much more accessible, and are fun and funny. For more 'serious' stories, then The Witcher is great.

There's also plenty of Young Adult stuff out there (other than Harry Potter). His Dark Materials, Mortal Engines, A Series of Unfortunate Eventals, and Artemis Fowl are all great.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Harry Potter ends up pretty miserable for what it's worth. However it's also aimed at kids and then teens, and it always interspersed with uplifting moments, and obviously has a happy ending. I just found it lost its fantasy charm after book 4 as it stops being about the flavour-of-the-year event and more about the overarching, much deeper story and villain. I'd still recommend the first 4 at a minimum anyway.

I love high fantasy - Witcher 3 is my favourite game of the past decade and I used to read a lot of Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone as a kid - but I find the LOTR movies way too slow and Harry Potter way too kiddie

And I've tried umpteen times to get into both (sets of movies) - just not clicking with either series

Last edited:

JCK75

If you're trying to get into Harry Potter, he likes butter beer, that should loosen him up a bit.

Top Bottom