• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I LOVE Series S

DarkestHour

Banned
Yeah they seem kinda neat. Only thing that concerns me is for a little more money, you get more storage space and a better overall system. Tempted to get one though anyways mainly for my kid to play Roblox on.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I know GAF has a boner to downplay this great little console.
Animated GIF

Last edited:
Not to mention D pad. This one takes lead over my favourite D pad ever, on Vita. When you push, it has very little travel. What ever travel there is full of tactile feedback and feels like a thunk.
I think the Vita dpad sets a really high standard, so that's certainly quite an endorsement from you. Good to know that MS has been improving the dpad ever since the 360 iteration.

This isn't entirely relevant to the act of playing games, but after watching teardowns for the PS5, XSX and XSS, I think the XSS has the most elegant internals. Maybe if you have the time and whatnot, you could replace the shell with a transparent one in future :D

sircaw

Banned
Hello GAF,

Its been over a week I have been enjoying Series S. Everything from smooth performance to snappy load times to abundance of games via gamepass.

It ticks a lot of boxes for me as well. Apart from being affordable and actually being available for purchase, it slots in my system without causing any disruption.

I am rocking a 1080p monitor in my room with below setup. No need to upgrade display or move around stuff in shelf.

FqjYl7R.jpg

As for graphics, I am coming from Nintendo 3ds/ PS Vita and jump in graphics is pretty amazing. Gears 5 looks stunning.

I have always been a playstation guy. To a point I had a X360 that I played like a playstation console. Never bought gold, didnt touch multiplayer, just played campaigns for all Halo and Gears games available. With gamepass, everything is included. For first time am using it as MS intended Xbox to be. Still too early to tell but so far enjoying the experience.

I am enjoying how responsive analog sticks feel. Is this due to 60 fps in games I tried or are sticks much better now? Cant tell. Aiming and putting crosshair on enemies feel so much satisfying now. Not to mention D pad. This one takes lead over my favourite D pad ever, on Vita. When you push, it has very little travel. What ever travel there is full of tactile feedback and feels like a thunk.

HoHaHwS.jpg

Little warrior is taking a much deserved rest.

YRvi1jb.jpg

MS is even gracious enough to let us know its exact date of birth. I know I will be inviting lucky few to a birthday bash one year later.

txPSfAi.png

I know GAF has a boner to downplay this great little console. This thread is supposed to be a safe sanctuary for fans from any hate commentary. I have a VERY strong opinion about this. Any unduly negative will be seen as existential threats resulting in an inflammation of my amygdala.

Please understand whoever chose this machine knew about its limitations and was ok with them as in my case.

I considered buying this box a while back ago, for the game Grim dawn.

It's like my favorite game ever, have 1200 hours in it, that's before my pc went blue screen of death.

I would probably of got one of these boxes but unfortunately, grim dawn has still not be released on xbox, waiting for certificates or something, It's been years now, and still no end in sight. It's not coming to ps4 pr ps5.

Saying all that, for 100 bucks more you can get a ps5, none digital,
(if it ever gets in stock) and have you seen the sub for ps now, the games they give you for free, the quality of them, it's crazy.

Personally, i hope this box goes on sale later in the year, at xmas, for around £200 pounds, i would say that would be the perfect price point and i would then pick one up.

It's hard to justify this console at this price point, as, for 100bucks more you get one that stomps all over this.

But if your happy, that's what counts.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The PS5 digital makes the Series S look bad. For just 100 more you get double the usable storage, double the memory (only 8GB are fast memory on S) and more than double the GPU power. If both were PCs no one would recommend the Series S.

He could get one down the line as well and own both. Seems like the demand is mild on XSS so it's not extremely hard to get like PS5 and XSX. For a 1080p monitor it should serve him well in the meantime, and probably give it to a relative if he feels like upgrading to XSX or keeping it with a PS5.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

The PS5 digital makes the Series S look bad. For just 100 more you get double the usable storage, double the memory (only 8GB are fast memory on S) and more than double the GPU power. If both were PCs no one would recommend the Series S.
Yeah the XSS would of been more understandable at $199.
We know it will drop in price over time but it should of have been this price out the gate.

$249 with a 1TB ssd would of been a good sell as well.

I considered buying this box a while back ago, for the game Grim dawn.

It's like my favorite game ever, have 1200 hours in it, that's before my pc went blue screen of death.

I would probably of got one of these boxes but unfortunately, grim dawn has still not be released on xbox, waiting for certificates or something, It's been years now, and still no end in sight. It's not coming to ps4 pr ps5.

Saying all that, for 100 bucks more you can get a ps5, none digital,
(if it ever gets in stock) and have you seen the sub for ps now, the games they give you for free, the quality of them, it's crazy.

Personally, i hope this box goes on sale later in the year, at xmas, for around £200 pounds, i would say that would be the perfect price point and i would then pick one up.

It's hard to justify this console at this price point, as, for 100bucks more you get one that stomps all over this.

But if your happy, that's what counts.

PS5 digital edition would be harder to find than a unicorn where I live. Disc edition itself has unreasonable wait lists with no stock coming in.

I was supposed to get console at launch, can't wait a whole year.

He could get one down the line as well and own both. Seems like the demand is mild on XSS so it's not extremely hard to get like PS5 and XSX. For a 1080p monitor it should serve him will in the mean time, and probably give it to a relative if he feels like upgrading to XSX or keeping it with a PS5.

This is exactly the plan. PS5/Series x launches have been disasters, letting Nintendo take huge lead in sales. They can't supply new hardware, no one wants to get old ones.

Series S is atleast technically next gen despite games looking slightly worse than enhanced consoles.

Yeah the XSS would of been more understandable at $199.
We know it will drop in price over time but it should of have been this price out the gate.

$249 with a 1TB ssd would of been a good sell as well.

Those SSDs are new tech driving up the cost. Will get cheaper over time.

249usd with 1 tb velocity architecture seems a bit unreasonable right now. In 1-2 years it should get there.

Maogp

I've got a SX but I really like the concept of Series X. GG op.
It's a very powerful machine, I I would have liked to have the opportunity to choose this kind of steps in performance, and price, for the previous gen tbh. Anyway, great choice, you will have a lot of games to play!

SkylineRKR

I love the S. But the S has 2 major flaws:

-The price. Its not good value compared to the PS5 DE, its that simple. For a 100 bucks more, when its available anyway, you get a full featured next-gen console. Without disc drive, but the S doesn't have any either. This was exactly what happened with me; I first got the S delivered at around the 10th of November. I loved its looks, speed and GP on it. Then I got the PS5 about 2 weeks later and I couldn't believe I hardly paid up more for it. Its got bigger SSD, more power, better visuals. And the price difference isn't even that huge. It would've been a huge deal if a digital X was 299, ofcourse. But the S is considerably weaker after all.

-Storage. MS should've gone with 1tb at least. This storage is pathetic. Put Forza, Gears 5 and Halo 5 on it and you're done. Its just not enough, even if you only play a few games at a time. The smart delivery system difference isn't that much. Hell, Sony doesn't tout it but look at Control on PS5, takes only 25gb off my PS5.

And a flaw might be that it has less RAM than One X for some reason. Would that 2gb really matter so much in cost? Other than that, its a fun system esp if you don't have a 4K set. It mostly targets high framerates, has very short load times, quick resume and the whole she bang.

Last edited:
Having used it for a few months, I think Series S, gamepass and an affordable 1080p screen go together like peanut butter and jelly in a sandwich.

Sure gamepass gives same value on Series x too. But it needs a bigger investment of about $1000 (console + 4k screen). You are in a mid range pc territory at that point and a high value subscription service looses its shine a little.

Compare this with $400 (series s + 1080p screen) and top it off with $10 monthly service is just good.

I have already finished quiet a few games on it. Currently playing Batman Arkham Knight and Jedi Fallen Order. Both are masterpieces. And have Halo 5, Halo 2, Destiny 2 lined up after I am done with those two.

Games do look pretty good on 1080p screen. But get soft if you strech signal to fit 4k display, at which point getting series x is better.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Having used it for a few months, I think Series S, gamepass and an affordable 1080p screen go together like peanut butter and jelly in a sandwich.

Sure gamepass gives same value on Series x too. But it needs a bigger investment of about $1000 (console + 4k screen). You are in a mid range pc territory at that point and a high value subscription service looses its shine a little.

Compare this with $400 (series s + 1080p screen) and top it off with $10 monthly service is just good.

I have already finished quiet a few games on it. Currently playing Batman Arkham Knight and Jedi Fallen Order. Both are masterpieces. And have Halo 5, Halo 2, Destiny 2 lined up after I am done with those two.

Games do look pretty good on 1080p screen. But get soft if you strech signal to fit 4k display, at which point getting series x is better.
It does not need the 4K TV investment as it will look great on a 1080p TV, better than the S on the same TV if games are downsampled from 4K, using the higher fidelity effects and textures, and RT.
Not only that, you get better BC with XSX as you get the Xbox One X version of Xbox One titles.

With the XSX you also get a UHD Blu-Ray drive and double the storage space which means less pressure to buy the expensive external proprietary memory card.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
He could get one down the line as well and own both. Seems like the demand is mild on XSS so it's not extremely hard to get like PS5 and XSX. For a 1080p monitor it should serve him will in the mean time, and probably give it to a relative if he feels like upgrading to XSX or keeping it with a PS5.
Definitely the way to go in my opinion. Series S is perfect to compliment the PS5.

For me it’s going to be PS5 for exclusives, FROM games and 3D platformers (love getting the plats). Xbox for Game Pass and online play. £360 + £250, it ain’t a lot of money for 8 years of entertainment.

Zuzu

It does not need the 4K TV investment as it will look great on a 1080p TV, better than the S on the same TV if games are downsampled from 4K, using the higher fidelity effects and textures, and RT.
Not only that, you get better BC with XSX as you get the Xbox One X version of Xbox One titles.

With the XSX you also get a UHD Blu-Ray drive and double the storage space which means less pressure to buy the expensive external proprietary memory card.
I agree with this. I regularly use my Series X on my 1080p 50inch plasma TV and the downsampling produces a very clean and sharp image which is noticeably better than standard 1080p. I think it's still better to go with the Series X even if you are only going to be gaming on a 1080p screen for the time being.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Definitely the way to go in my opinion. Series S is perfect to compliment the PS5.

For me it’s going to be PS5 for exclusives, FROM games and 3D platformers (love getting the plats). Xbox for Game Pass and online play. £360 + £250, it ain’t a lot of money for 8 years of entertainment.

Solid plan. Already have a more powerful PC but would never suggest building a PC for most friends over getting an Xbox, whether it's an X or S. The bargain is pretty huge currently compared to the insanely inflated PC market parts. Of course if you need the desktop for other usage then by all means go for it.

To me it's a secondary gaming machine (PC) just in case, and if there is an xbox/PC game that I wanna play.

I agree with this. I regularly use my Series X on my 1080p 50inch plasma TV and the downsampling produces a very clean image which is noticeably better than standard 1080p. I think it's still better to go with the Series X even if you are only going to be gaming on a 1080p screen for the time being.

The only reason to go S is not finding X at retail prices.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

Solid plan. Already have a more powerful PC but would never suggest building a PC for most friends over getting an Xbox, whether it's an X or S. The bargain is pretty huge currently compared to the insanely inflated PC market parts. Of course if you need the desktop for other usage then by all means go for it.

To me it's a secondary gaming machine (PC) just in case, and if there is an xbox/PC game that I wanna play.

The only reason to go S is not finding X at retail prices.
Portability and size factor is a huge gain for the S, but its a good alternative for those who want Gamepass but don't want to fork for a Series X or to compliment their PS5

The XSS still manages to play games better than the X1X and it's still $200 less than than the XSX. It also has more 120 fps titles on it than other more expensive consoles. Something you can explore with the savings you'll have.

With regards to storage it has had cold storage as an option to swap games games from the internal memory to external since launch. The Seagate memory card is just an additional option that isn't necessary but at least is available and can be found on sale from time to time. The XSS fills a void you can't find elsewhere. Great balance of affordability and performance.

Saucy Papi

Not going to lie, I came extremely close to getting a Series S due to the shortage but got a PC instead. The value proposition of the S is absolutely insane.

Md Ray

Not gonna lie... As much as I shit on Series S, if I had only a PS5 and wasn't into/interested in PC gaming... But wanted to play MS exclusives I'd probably get the Series S.

Yeah, the hardware has its limitations but at the end of the day, it's a developer's problem to deal with, not mine. It's up to them to optimize and provide a good gaming experience, I don't have to worry about anything.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
OP. Glad you two are still together and happy. I was a little concerned when I saw this thread bumped. I admit that chasing super models can get tiresome and the thought has crossed my mind to settle down with something a little less flashy. I envy you and wish you both continued joy.

Top Bottom