• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Clickbait Cringe Platform I LOVE Series S

DarkestHour

Oct 27, 2015
Yeah they seem kinda neat. Only thing that concerns me is for a little more money, you get more storage space and a better overall system. Tempted to get one though anyways mainly for my kid to play Roblox on.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: vaibhavpisal

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Aug 18, 2017
Mount Olympus
www.neogaf.com
I know GAF has a boner to downplay this great little console.
Animated GIF

Last edited:

Hawks Eclipse

Nov 15, 2019
Not to mention D pad. This one takes lead over my favourite D pad ever, on Vita. When you push, it has very little travel. What ever travel there is full of tactile feedback and feels like a thunk.
I think the Vita dpad sets a really high standard, so that's certainly quite an endorsement from you. Good to know that MS has been improving the dpad ever since the 360 iteration.

This isn't entirely relevant to the act of playing games, but after watching teardowns for the PS5, XSX and XSS, I think the XSS has the most elegant internals. Maybe if you have the time and whatnot, you could replace the shell with a transparent one in future :D

sircaw

has bigger MS points balance than reaction score.
Jul 3, 2019
A local pond.
Hello GAF,

Its been over a week I have been enjoying Series S. Everything from smooth performance to snappy load times to abundance of games via gamepass.

It ticks a lot of boxes for me as well. Apart from being affordable and actually being available for purchase, it slots in my system without causing any disruption.

I am rocking a 1080p monitor in my room with below setup. No need to upgrade display or move around stuff in shelf.

As for graphics, I am coming from Nintendo 3ds/ PS Vita and jump in graphics is pretty amazing. Gears 5 looks stunning.

I have always been a playstation guy. To a point I had a X360 that I played like a playstation console. Never bought gold, didnt touch multiplayer, just played campaigns for all Halo and Gears games available. With gamepass, everything is included. For first time am using it as MS intended Xbox to be. Still too early to tell but so far enjoying the experience.

I am enjoying how responsive analog sticks feel. Is this due to 60 fps in games I tried or are sticks much better now? Cant tell. Aiming and putting crosshair on enemies feel so much satisfying now. Not to mention D pad. This one takes lead over my favourite D pad ever, on Vita. When you push, it has very little travel. What ever travel there is full of tactile feedback and feels like a thunk.

Little warrior is taking a much deserved rest.

MS is even gracious enough to let us know its exact date of birth. I know I will be inviting lucky few to a birthday bash one year later.

I know GAF has a boner to downplay this great little console. This thread is supposed to be a safe sanctuary for fans from any hate commentary. I have a VERY strong opinion about this. Any unduly negative will be seen as existential threats resulting in an inflammation of my amygdala.

Please understand whoever chose this machine knew about its limitations and was ok with them as in my case.

I considered buying this box a while back ago, for the game Grim dawn.

It's like my favorite game ever, have 1200 hours in it, that's before my pc went blue screen of death.

I would probably of got one of these boxes but unfortunately, grim dawn has still not be released on xbox, waiting for certificates or something, It's been years now, and still no end in sight. It's not coming to ps4 pr ps5.

Saying all that, for 100 bucks more you can get a ps5, none digital,
(if it ever gets in stock) and have you seen the sub for ps now, the games they give you for free, the quality of them, it's crazy.

Personally, i hope this box goes on sale later in the year, at xmas, for around £200 pounds, i would say that would be the perfect price point and i would then pick one up.

It's hard to justify this console at this price point, as, for 100bucks more you get one that stomps all over this.

But if your happy, that's what counts.

Rudius

Feb 19, 2020
The PS5 digital makes the Series S look bad. For just 100 more you get double the usable storage, double the memory (only 8GB are fast memory on S) and more than double the GPU power. If both were PCs no one would recommend the Series S.

Bo_Hazem

Gold Dealer
Feb 10, 2020
Salalah, Oman
The PS5 digital makes the Series S look bad. For just 100 more you get double the usable storage, double the memory (only 8GB are fast memory on S) and more than double the GPU power. If both were PCs no one would recommend the Series S.

He could get one down the line as well and own both. Seems like the demand is mild on XSS so it's not extremely hard to get like PS5 and XSX. For a 1080p monitor it should serve him will in the mean time, and probably give it to a relative if he feels like upgrading to XSX or keeping it with a PS5.

S0ULZB0URNE

Gold Member
Jan 27, 2020
Yeah the XSS would of been more understandable at $199.
We know it will drop in price over time but it should of have been this price out the gate.

$249 with a 1TB ssd would of been a good sell as well.

vaibhavpisal

Jun 10, 2019
I considered buying this box a while back ago, for the game Grim dawn.

It's like my favorite game ever, have 1200 hours in it, that's before my pc went blue screen of death.

I would probably of got one of these boxes but unfortunately, grim dawn has still not be released on xbox, waiting for certificates or something, It's been years now, and still no end in sight. It's not coming to ps4 pr ps5.

Saying all that, for 100 bucks more you can get a ps5, none digital,
(if it ever gets in stock) and have you seen the sub for ps now, the games they give you for free, the quality of them, it's crazy.

Personally, i hope this box goes on sale later in the year, at xmas, for around £200 pounds, i would say that would be the perfect price point and i would then pick one up.

It's hard to justify this console at this price point, as, for 100bucks more you get one that stomps all over this.

But if your happy, that's what counts.

PS5 digital edition would be harder to find than a unicorn where I live. Disc edition itself has unreasonable wait lists with no stock coming in.

I was supposed to get console at launch, can't wait a whole year.

He could get one down the line as well and own both. Seems like the demand is mild on XSS so it's not extremely hard to get like PS5 and XSX. For a 1080p monitor it should serve him will in the mean time, and probably give it to a relative if he feels like upgrading to XSX or keeping it with a PS5.

This is exactly the plan. PS5/Series x launches have been disasters, letting Nintendo take huge lead in sales. They can't supply new hardware, no one wants to get old ones.

Series S is atleast technically next gen despite games looking slightly worse than enhanced consoles.

Yeah the XSS would of been more understandable at $199.
We know it will drop in price over time but it should of have been this price out the gate.

$249 with a 1TB ssd would of been a good sell as well.

Those SSDs are new tech driving up the cost. Will get cheaper over time.

249usd with 1 tb velocity architecture seems a bit unreasonable right now. In 1-2 years it should get there.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Maogp

Jul 12, 2014
I've got a SX but I really like the concept of Series X. GG op.
It's a very powerful machine, I I would have liked to have the opportunity to choose this kind of steps in performance, and price, for the previous gen tbh. Anyway, great choice, you will have a lot of games to play!

• Love

SkylineRKR

Jun 22, 2011
Holland
I love the S. But the S has 2 major flaws:

-The price. Its not good value compared to the PS5 DE, its that simple. For a 100 bucks more, when its available anyway, you get a full featured next-gen console. Without disc drive, but the S doesn't have any either. This was exactly what happened with me; I first got the S delivered at around the 10th of November. I loved its looks, speed and GP on it. Then I got the PS5 about 2 weeks later and I couldn't believe I hardly paid up more for it. Its got bigger SSD, more power, better visuals. And the price difference isn't even that huge. It would've been a huge deal if a digital X was 299, ofcourse. But the S is considerably weaker after all.

-Storage. MS should've gone with 1tb at least. This storage is pathetic. Put Forza, Gears 5 and Halo 5 on it and you're done. Its just not enough, even if you only play a few games at a time. The smart delivery system difference isn't that much. Hell, Sony doesn't tout it but look at Control on PS5, takes only 25gb off my PS5.

And a flaw might be that it has less RAM than One X for some reason. Would that 2gb really matter so much in cost? Other than that, its a fun system esp if you don't have a 4K set. It mostly targets high framerates, has very short load times, quick resume and the whole she bang.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

vaibhavpisal

Jun 10, 2019
Having used it for a few months, I think Series S, gamepass and an affordable 1080p screen go together like peanut butter and jelly in a sandwich.

Sure gamepass gives same value on Series x too. But it needs a bigger investment of about $1000 (console + 4k screen). You are in a mid range pc territory at that point and a high value subscription service looses its shine a little.

Compare this with $400 (series s + 1080p screen) and top it off with $10 monthly service is just good.

I have already finished quiet a few games on it. Currently playing Batman Arkham Knight and Jedi Fallen Order. Both are masterpieces. And have Halo 5, Halo 2, Destiny 2 lined up after I am done with those two.

Games do look pretty good on 1080p screen. But get soft if you strech signal to fit 4k display, at which point getting series x is better.

Reactions: cireza and Riky