• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love Medieval music and songs in fantasy games

GreyHorace

Does anyone dig it when a game goes the extra mile and composes music and songs that immerse players in a medieval setting? Particularly in fantasy games (mostly rpgs)?

I say this now because I've been listening to songs and music from Larian's upcoming Baldur's Gate 3.

There's certainly been more effort put into the music of this title than the previous entries of the Baldur's Gate series. I look forward to how it all comes together when the game is completed. But back on topic, I've always dug medieval style music in fantasy games. The best in recent memory has to be The Witcher 3 with it's slavic inspired soundtrack.

And who can forget The Wolven Storm, Priscilla's ballad about Geralt and Yennefer's turbulent romance?

The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim too had a great Nordic style soundtrack by the talented Jeremy Soule. Sons of Skyrim of course being the most well known track.

And there's The Dragonborn Comes which bards sing in the taverns around Skyrim.

I'd also like to mention that Jeremy Soule composed one of my all time favorite game tracks. The opening to the old Interplay D&D rpg, Icewind Dale.

So yeah, forgive me if I've wasted all your time with this thread. But I really dig this kind of music when it's featured in games. Hell, I really like it when I enter taverns in games and there's music in the background, which people on Youtube have compiled here from many titles.

But if any of you have contributions of medieval music that you've heard and liked in games, feel free to share.

GreyHorace

No mention of The Bard's Tale IV.

Shameful.
Sorry. The last I'd heard of The Bard's Tale was when my brother played it way back on our old crappy Apple 2.

I knew a new game was coming out, but I had no idea it was already released, or that it had a killer soundtrack.

A full soundtrack in fucking Gaelic? And it sounds good too! Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
That's not medieval music, that's a poor attempt of mixing modern with old.
tenor.gif

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
None of those examples have anything to do with actual medieval music to be honest. I hear a mix of orchestral music (think Hollywood soundtracks and Orff's O Fortuna) mixed with elements of modern (Celtic) folk music.

Here's what (recreated) medieval music actually sounds like:

Last edited:

GreyHorace

None of those examples have anything to do with actual medieval music to be honest. I hear a mix of orchestral music (think Hollywood soundtracks and Orff's O Fortuna) mixed with elements of modern (Celtic) folk music.

Here's what (recreated) medieval music actually sounds like:

Yes. I do realize that a lot of these videogame tracks are just medieval stylings with modern bits to them.

But let me make clear, I'm no musical purist looking for actual medieval musical themes in videogames. I just appreciate it when developers go out of their way to immerse gamers in their medieval fantasy world by having music that sounds appropriate to the setting. I really dig this kind of music.

If a fantasy rpg blared out hard rock music then that would just break the immersion for me...

Except for Dragon's Dogma. Into Free by B'z is fucking awesome.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Yes. I do realize that a lot of these videogame tracks are just medieval stylings with modern bits to them.

But let me make clear, I'm no musical purist looking for actual medieval musical themes in videogames. I just appreciate it when developers go out of their way to immerse gamers in their medieval fantasy world by having music that sounds appropriate to the setting. I really dig this kind of music.

If a fantasy rpg blared out hard rock music then that would just break the immersion for me...

True. Faux medieval music is perfectly all-right for videogames with faux-medieval fantasy settings. Actual medieval music would be too far out for most gamers, let alone music from ancient Rome and ancient Greece. How many gamers would like this as the soundtrack for Assassin's Creed: Odyssey?

Null Persp

That's not medieval music, that's a poor attempt of mixing modern with old.

This is medieval music

Not gaming, but these gals are my favourite for medieval music:

I am playing the game lately, I love these two songs.

Some authentic medieval music "Greensleeves" used in the King's Quest I title:

They use it throughout the series.

Damn, thanks, I was searching the name of this song just a few days ago, I didn't remember the name.

Another fav

Bartski

Gold Member
not sure if "medieval" enough but crazy good nonetheless.

also, haven't played Dead Cells much but I remember I sometimes stopped just to listen to this tune:

Top Bottom