• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love console exclusives. The more the better.

Topher

Gold Member
Don't know what the process is for making timed exclusives. Is it all hands on deck for one version or split up where the other platform gets a percentage done and then come back to it after the initial platform is released?

I would think the primary platform gets all the attention and then a split group works on a port later after release, but I'm not sure.

Wonko_C

Both PS5 and SX are so similar that "exclusives that take advantage of the hardware" is a thing of the past. Let's say by some miracle one 1st party exclusive were ported to the other platform the difference would be just an extra shadow or texture here or there.

I would live it to go back to the Snes/Genesis times, where games of the same franchise were developed by different studios for different systems. I would be jealous of my friend who had the best version of mickey mouse, and I had the best version of Street Fighter 2.
So you had a Sega Genesis. Best choice pal.

EDIT: Sorry, I almost never see the name or avatar who's posting before replying.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Both PS5 and SX are so similar that "exclusives that take advantage of the hardware" is a thing of the past. Let's say by some miracle one 1st party exclusive were ported to the other platform the difference would be just an extra shadow or texture here or there.

So you had a Sega Genesis. Best choice man.

As a Sega kid... let's be real.

The SNES mocked and belittled us. We put on a strong face but we knew.

One day every house will have a super "TV" with enough hardware to run and stream every game imaginable. Hopefully then we don't also have TV brand exclusive games as well.

Wonko_C

As a Sega kid... let's be real.

The SNES mocked and belittled us. We put on a strong face but we knew.
I had both consoles and vastly preferred the SNES over the Genesis, but as I've grown up I've begun to appreciate the latter a lot more. I don't know if my tastes changed but I find Genesis games tend to be faster, more responsive and clearer-sounding than the majority of SNES games.

Strictly speaking about SFII, the Genesis version is better than the SNES one IMO: The music sounds closer to the arcade, the 6 button controller is a much better fit, and most importantly the gameplay is more accurate to the arcade version, where the SNES version was missing some programming quirks, leading to not being able to pull off some of the more obscure combos and mechanics.

Last edited:

soulbait

So you would’ve wanted HDDVD to survive as well?

I don’t see what would’ve been good about having two movie players under the TV.
Currently I can play any movie I want on my Blu-ray player.
I like that. I want that with games. Doesn’t seem to hurt creativity or pricing or anything at all really.

The reality of the current gaming market is this for an enthusiast gamer:

Xbox Series X - $500
PS5 - $500
Full PC - $2000
Switch - $350

In 3 years...

Xbox Series X2 - $500
PS5 Pro - $500
PC GPU - $1000
Switch Pro - $350

In 3 years...

Xbox 6 - $500
PS6 - $500
PC GPU - $1000
Switch Gen 2 - $350

Etc...
And I have completely dodged the cost of upgrading the TV to HDMI 2.1, and the AVR.

I hate it.
Only reason I can even afford to be everywhere is because I’m always planning ahead and investing in stocks and the stock market is still moving up. I could never afford gaming on all platforms just with my salary. I would have to choose where I put the money, and then I can’t see how exclusives can ever be something good.

But you don't have to get everything you want. Just because you want something it does not mean you should buy it, even if you have the funds. You can be an enthusiast, still want them all, but yet not get them all. Do car enthusiasts buy all the cars they like? Of course not.

Your post came across as, if you are an enthusiast you must buy all consoles. Not true.

Also, it sounds like you invested simply to buy gaming consoles? I hope I misinterpreted that.

lock2k

Banned
I hereby ask, no demand, that both Sony and MS get more exclusives for their console.
Not timed ones, but rather full.
Take me back to the PS1 and Saturn days when 50% of the games on each console were exclusives.
I agree.

I also loved when they had licensed games and the same franchise had completely different games like Aladdin for Genesis and SNES.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I just want great games, be it exclusive or otherwise.
This is where I'm at. A part of me appreciates exclusives because the idea of them feels nostalgic. People arguing which console is best because of its exclusives, etc.

But at the same time, I appreciate a future where everyone can play together regardless of the platform they're on. I mean, it opens up the traffic flow, which in the long run can increase the length of the game's lifeline.

However, in the end, I want great games over all. I don't care where they are as long as I have the platform so I can partake. Just give me that good-good.

Fredrik

But you don't have to get everything you want. Just because you want something it does not mean you should buy it, even if you have the funds. You can be an enthusiast, still want them all, but yet not get them all. Do car enthusiasts buy all the cars they like? Of course not.

Your post came across as, if you are an enthusiast you must buy all consoles. Not true.

Also, it sounds like you invested simply to buy gaming consoles? I hope I misinterpreted that.
Fair enough that’s a new take I haven’t thought about. But personally I don’t think gaming can be compared with cars, the cost difference makes it a strange comparison and for me it’s the games that is the gaming hobby, the hardware is just the necessary evil to be able to play them. With cars the hardware itself would be the car hobby and fuel or electricity would be the necessary evil to be able to drive them.

As for my investments, I have long term investments too, but for fun I’ve tried to cover all my hobby costs with short term riskier investments. You could almost call that a hobby in itself by now tbh. It’s fun! Started by investing the cost of a Nvidia graphics card on Nvidia stocks many years ago, a year later I had 2x the money, and so on. Has worked well enough, so far.

cromofo

Can't wait for the meltdowns once the ZeniMax deal goes through and E3 hits with games like Starfield as Xbox/PC exclusive. Suprisingly, there's still a lot of delusional people who believe PS5 will see Bethesda games again.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Do you also love Netflix and Amazon Prime TV exclusives?
If they pay money to have it made sure because it probably would of not been made in the first place. Now purchasing old content blah like console timed exclusives is just paying to keep off another platform.

soulbait

Fair enough that’s a new take I haven’t thought about. But personally I don’t think gaming can be compared with cars, the cost difference makes it a strange comparison and for me it’s the games that is the gaming hobby, the hardware is just the necessary evil to be able to play them. With cars the hardware itself would be the car hobby and fuel or electricity would be the necessary evil to be able to drive them.

As for my investments, I have long term investments too, but for fun I’ve tried to cover all my hobby costs with short term riskier investments. You could almost call that a hobby in itself by now tbh. It’s fun! Started by investing the cost of a Nvidia graphics card on Nvidia stocks many years ago, a year later I had 2x the money, and so on. Has worked well enough, so far.

Good to hear about the investments. Like I wrote, I read it as if they were only there for gaming. Seems like a risky way to save for a hobby, but if you go the long term game down, good for you (investing is something I am trying to get into myself).

I see your point about cars being a different due to price. I was trying to think of a group of people who can get as passionate as gamers. Another hobby of mine is photography. If you think console wars are bad with brand loyalty, fights over the "best" camera system to use can get brutal. I think it has to do with more skin in the game, considering not only is it a hobby for some, but for many it is a profession. Because of this, they want to make sure their gear is the best or seems to be the best to their clients.

I bring up photography, because it is very easy to develop a bad case of GAS. in photography, or Gear Acquisition Syndrome. You get stuck in a mode where you think you have to acquire every piece of kit to enjoy the hobby. From lenses, new camera bodies, the best tripods, to filters, and more. Then you stop an realize, I don't carry half this gear with me when I go out, unless I am planning on using it. Very easy to think you have to buy it all to enjoy the hobby, when in reality a camera body and a good lens is all you need to start.

I guess what I am getting at is trying to defeat the mentality of "I must have all the things" and enjoy what you can get, while admiring the other aspects of the hobby that you may not be able to afford from afar.

But if you can afford it all, without breaking your bank account, all the power to you! I am fortunate enough to be able to afford all the consoles, I just need to get into the mentality that it is not all required to enjoy it.

Fredrik

Good to hear about the investments. Like I wrote, I read it as if they were only there for gaming. Seems like a risky way to save for a hobby, but if you go the long term game down, good for you (investing is something I am trying to get into myself).

I see your point about cars being a different due to price. I was trying to think of a group of people who can get as passionate as gamers. Another hobby of mine is photography. If you think console wars are bad with brand loyalty, fights over the "best" camera system to use can get brutal. I think it has to do with more skin in the game, considering not only is it a hobby for some, but for many it is a profession. Because of this, they want to make sure their gear is the best or seems to be the best to their clients.

I bring up photography, because it is very easy to develop a bad case of GAS. in photography, or Gear Acquisition Syndrome. You get stuck in a mode where you think you have to acquire every piece of kit to enjoy the hobby. From lenses, new camera bodies, the best tripods, to filters, and more. Then you stop an realize, I don't carry half this gear with me when I go out, unless I am planning on using it. Very easy to think you have to buy it all to enjoy the hobby, when in reality a camera body and a good lens is all you need to start.

I guess what I am getting at is trying to defeat the mentality of "I must have all the things" and enjoy what you can get, while admiring the other aspects of the hobby that you may not be able to afford from afar.

But if you can afford it all, without breaking your bank account, all the power to you! I am fortunate enough to be able to afford all the consoles, I just need to get into the mentality that it is not all required to enjoy it.
Nvidia was up 120+ percent last year, so you don’t have to plan all that long ahead really. But I mean I’m no expert or anything. Just got lucky and jumped on the Nvidia train when they had no competition. Today it’s not as easy to know what will happen, covid and all. I try to lower the risk though by selling regularly and move some of the earnings to a regular bank account (for gaming hobby usage), that way I won’t feel like I’m about to lose all my money if things suddenly go south for whatever reason. Then I rebuy another batch of stocks. Rinse and repeat.

Anyway, regarding exclusives I think you know what I mean. Like I would love to play Demon’s Souls right now, but PS5 is nowhere to be found in my country so here I’m watching videos of it instead of playing it. I understand that this crappy scalper scenario will go away eventually but in the end I still dislike that they’ll get me to buy a new console just to play a couple of new games. I never bought a Pro though and I’m super proud of myself for that.

Theres a lot of ways to have competition besides exclusives. There's the price, the peripherals, the hardware itself, the services etc compared to the competition.

Intel and amd are still evolving their hardware despite having no exclusive content.
Same with nvidia and ati.

If there were two consoles who had the exact games, how would that make a greedy company take over? You have the option to pick the console you want that has the controller that suits you best for an example.

Let's say there were no exclusives.

Microsoft could compete because of game pass.
Sony could because of psvr
Nintendo could because of its a hybrid console.

That's three total different ways to play.
Good points, but that’s one of the reasons why I believe Sony and Nintendo are ahead of Microsoft. Xbox is essentially PlayStation with a few differences and Switch is a different experience basically. Gamepass sets it apart somewhat, but is it enough? Also, Sony has PSNow which will probably grow and improve I’m insinuating.

3 ways to play could work, but if you want a hybrid console, what’s convincing that same gamer to buy another console for their VR or Gamepass if the software is all identical? I feel exclusives will ignite sales more than features or accessories. Even with peripherals and services, I feel it all comes down to the software and the one that comes up with the best features or gimmick would probably dominate.

Top Bottom