• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love console exclusives. The more the better.

Bill Murray Ok GIF

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I yearn for an all app future. I’ll sub to service but let me play anywhere!

You didn’t really state how that benefits you or anyone. Seems like you want exclusives for nostalgia alone? I have no problem with exclusives but I wouldn’t be cheering them on.
Because it gives me a reason to jump into two different ecosystems, with different strengths and weaknesses.

The PS1 with exclusives like Twisted Metal, Tekken, Ridge Racer, Destruction Derby, Wipe out etc and then the Saturn with all Sega games.

sublimit

Banned
Exclusives are what mostly drives this industry forward in terms of quality and creativity through platform/service competition. With a few exceptions (like From Software,CDPR and a few others) everything else are just safe,watered down microtransaction fests with zero creativity and ambition. No one wants a future where everything is just a faceless sea of EA,Activision,Ubisoft clones.

So yeah i want more exclusives as well.

Last edited:

Yumi

It’s pretty much just excludes Xbox. Both Nintendo and Sony have the benefit of great developing studios who know how to utilize their respective hardware.

Not hating on Xbox, it’s actually the console I play most. I’d love for them to compete with their first party. Hopefully they will by mid generation, but I’m cautiously optimistic.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Exclusives are what mostly drives this industry forward in terms of quality and creativity through platform/service competition. With a few exceptions (like From Software,CDPR and a few others) everything else are just safe,watered down microtransaction fests with zero creativity and ambition. No one wants a future where everything is just a faceless sea of EA,Activision,Ubisoft clones.

So yeah i want more exclusives as well.

Yeah right exclusives like Doom, SF II, Quake, GTA III, Assassin's Creed and Skyrim moved the industry forward...

I'm torn on the subject. On one hand I miss when every console had a reason to own it, but at the same time (and from a minimalism standpoint) I'd love to have a single device.

I want consoles to disappear but we can't always have nice things OP
Why? Because they "hold back gaming"?

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It used to be the case that each console had some unique hardware with its own strengths and weaknesses, and often a unique controller design as well. It was something special to play a game that was specifically built for one system only.

Nowadays the consoles are basically just low to mid-range gaming PCs in a box. And all the major game engines are cross-platform and designed to scale from smartphones up to cutting edge gaming PCs. A game being exclusive doesn’t mean anything special anymore.

It’s pretty much just excludes Xbox. Both Nintendo and Sony have the benefit of great developing studios who know how to utilize their respective hardware.

Not hating on Xbox, it’s actually the console I play most. I’d love for them to compete with their first party. Hopefully they will by mid generation, but I’m cautiously optimistic.
Sounds like wishful thinking.
With Zenimax, MS has a far bigger first party holding that either Sony or Nintendo.
Forza MS
Forza Horizon
Flight Sim
Halo
Gears
Perfect Dark
Hellblade
Outer Worlds 2
Avowed
State Of Decay
Fable
Wasteland
Everwild
Sea of Thieves
Ori
Psychonauts
Banjo
Minecraft
AOE
Grounded
Doom
Wolfenstein
Rage
Prey
Quake
Fallout
Starfield
TES
Dishounered
The Evil Within

Not to mention all the new IPs that are in the works.
You have to be abusing crack to think MS doesn't have games now.

Why though. Why do you want Xbox players to never experience God of War or PS players to never experience Halo
They can either buy a PS5 and experience those games, or MS will decide they need to cater to those types of games and they will create another IP to rival it.
Competition rules.

Mabdia

The console with the best exclusives to my taste is the one that I end up buying.

I don't need a multiplataform machine. All I need is a exclusive machine that runs multiplataform games.

tillbot8

Banned
What I would love is an amalgamation of all 3 consoles where everything is exclusive to everyone. Would never happen and we would all get buttfucked (moreso)if there was a monopoly, but still a lovely pipedream!

Aenima

The only reason i like exclusives for the platform i own is because i know the developers are going to take adavantage of the hardware. But i dont care if months / years later they port the game to other platforms. All i care is to see quality games pushing the hardware i bought.

Because competition is important is good to have more than one console manufactor in the field, but in my ideal world, all games would only be temporary exclusives, by taking full advantage on the hardware of the initial console brand, then being ported 1/2 years later to the rest of platforms.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I'd prefer the opposite. Consoles become the same as services/storefronts. All services are available on PC. I just don't like switching inputs and loading shelves up with what is basically redundant hardware that is locked by the manufacturer.

Miles708

I want to see more first part exclusives, not third party exclusives or timed exclusives.

Yep, basically.
Mostly only first-party games have the budget AND the incentives to push the medium forward while also going big. Because the name of the console is now tied with that game, and you have to make it good to profit from software and hardware sales.

EA doesn't take risks because it's stupid, from their perspective. But if you also have hardware to sell, big/important/hyped/innovative first-party (or second-party) games really carry you on.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Pepperoni pizza, cherry coke and weed.
Pepperoni is good with chili flakes or jalapeños

I also had a pepperoni chili and honey pizza recently that was pretty damn good

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the sane attitude is: consoles exclusives are a necessary evil, as they give the right incentives to the developers to help their platform stand out in a good way, at the cost of user choice of platform.

RCU005

I agree. First and third party as well! There is nothing wrong in having exclusives. You want to play the game, you buy the console. Nintendo has done that for ages.

People complain about third party exclusives, but it's the same as if they were first party. In fact timed exclusivity is the one that sucks, specially when it's announced beforehand that it will come to another console, because then you do have to wait.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
The weird issue still Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop. Owning by Microsoft, exclusivity one year on PS5.

It is a weird situation but thankfully for Xbox fans at least Sony failed to moneyhat Starfield and now instead of a timed PS5 exclusive, it will most likely be a forever Xbox exclusive along with a shit ton of other great Zenimax games. Xbox has so many great studios now all working on at least one first party games those two won't really be missed during their 1 year Sony moneyhat.

bxrz

They can either buy a PS5 and experience those games, or MS will decide they need to cater to those types of games and they will create another IP to rival it.
Competition rules.
Why force someone to buy something they probably don't want to buy? That goes for every platform?

Which is a bad thing how?
No competition imo would really hurt the industry. It would essentially be a monopoly. That’s why there are different phones, movie apps, food, speakers, cars, etc. One console and only one place to buy all the games with the greed of the gaming industry would be a nightmare.

Exclusives drive competition, creativity and generally bring the best out of hardware. Companies want you to buy their consoles, so they will normally try harder with software to persuade people. That’s one reason the Switch is dominating now. It offers genuine exclusives and experiences you can’t get anywhere else.

Of course, it would be nice for devs to only have to worry about or design with one platform in mind. Third party publishers cant maximize their profits that way, though.

RedVIper

Banned
No competition imo would really hurt the industry. It would essentially be a monopoly. That’s why there are different phones, movie apps, food, speakers, cars, etc. One console and only one place to buy all the games with the greed of the gaming industry would be a nightmare.

Exclusives drive competition, creativity and generally bring the best out of hardware. Companies want you to buy their consoles, so they will normally try harder with software to persuade people. That’s one reason the Switch is dominating now. It offers genuine exclusives and experiences you can’t get anywhere else.

But people aren't arguing in favor of one console. They're arguing against exclusives.

It would make consoles *more* competitive since they'd need to convince people to buy them due to hardware and not because of exclusives

RoboFu

One of the green rats
No it’s dumb ... I wish I had bloodborne on pc.
Not being exclusive doesn’t take away from the game lol bless you some reason for playing is to a cheerleader hardon for your team.

Top Bottom