• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I know we got a remake of Dead Space coming in little under a month, but...

Power Pro

I hadn't ever finished the original Dead Space, and I found myself in the mood for a game like Dead Space recently. I think it seeing the release of The Calisto Protocol, and that really made me want to play a game like that. I was almost going to buy Calisto Protocol, until I saw people talk about how bad the combat is. It really turned me off how broken the combat sounded.

So instead of wasting money on a $70 game which isn't really getting much praise since it's release, I decided to boot up a game I've had on my Xbox account for years and never finished with the original Dead Space. If the remake had already been out when this mood struck me, I might have waited, but now I'm already several chapters in, and even though this game is 14 years old....it's still damn good.

I know people love to say old games suck, or the PS360 generation was terrible because bad framerates, and HD not being ready or some other shit. Thing is, I still think this 2008 version of the game looks gorgeous at times. Character models are a little blocky, but the animation is still solid. The environments are still just gorgeous to look at and play through. I got so caught up in the mindset over the past few years thinking old games from this era can't hold up anymore, but this one totally does. The sound design is also outstanding; I've been playing with a soundbar that has rear speakers and a subwoofer, and I feel so emerged in this horrific situation while playing it.

I'm already a few hours deep, and I'm torn if I should keep going or wait for the remake. I'm still totally enjoying this 2008 version of the game, but watching some videos of the remake do look pretty cool, but not different enough from a gameplay perspective. Plus, not sure I wanna spend $60-70 on a game that I already am playing. Wish they had priced it slightly cheaper.

The games still play really well, 2 & 3 are also 60fps on the XSX via BC in contrast to the 1st game but...they could have really benefited from a resolution boost as the 720p one is just an eye sore even on a 1080p screen.

As for the remake : I'll personally wait for it to come out on EA Play since I've finished the whole trilogy a couple of months ago (again).

PS : DS3 is a jolly good and very atmospheric game, yes, the weapon customization thing is utter garbage but other than that, the atmosphere - while different compared to the other 2 - is still very good

Last edited:

TonyK

I know people love to say old games suck, or the PS360 generation was terrible because bad framerates, and HD not being ready or some other shit.
I think is quite the opposite, a lot of players we remember that generation and previous ones with nostalgia. Also PS3/X360 was the first HD era, shaders, bump mapping... in fact it was the last era that new consoles supposed a true generational leap.

We had Gears of War, Uncharted, The Last of Us, Dead Space, a ton of news IPs... all of that innovation has gone. Now we build upon those achievements

I miss those days.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I don't like the changes they are doing with the remake.

I prefer playing the original on PC at 240fps/1080p and skip the remake entirely.
What are the bad changes?
I went on a media blackout some time ago but ill allow you to spoil me.

Power Pro

The usual woke changes here and there. Dialog changes, race/gender swap changes, etc.

Also, the animation is worse atm. Though that might get fixed or not.
I didn't want to get into it, but yeah...that stuff just rubs me the wrong way. So tired of things being changed for no reason. Not just talking about "ugly women" complaints either, I noticed in the footage they showed, it's like they are demoting the male characters to be sub servant. I don't know anything about the rest of the game's story, but in the opening of the original game, Hammond seems like he's in command of the ship and mission, and Daniels is always questioning him, but follows his orders. In the remake, Daniels is getting all the dialogue and Hammond is all quiet, and not taking charge like before.

Black_Stride

The usual woke changes here and there. Dialog changes, race/gender swap changes, etc.

Also, the animation is worse atm. Though that might get fixed or not.

They changed the title in "Diverse space"
Wait who got gender/race swapped.
Is Isaac a chick now?
Dont tell me hes on the Ishimura looking for his husband now?

P.S What possible dialog changes could they possibly have made to make the game more "woke"......?

Dead Space didn’t need a remake. Still holds up. At least on PC it does. If I’m in the mood to play through it again I’d definitely skip the remake nonsense and just play the original.

GymWolf

Is Isaac a chick now?

P.S What possible dialog changes could they possibly have made to make the game more "woke"......?
I was just making a joke, there are some changes but they don't bother me that much.

What bother me most are some shitty animation that i hope they are gonna get fixed in the final release.

And they made the
traitor bitch
tits smaller:lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Dead Space didn’t need a remake. Still holds up. At least on PC it does. If I’m in the mood to play through it again I’d definitely skip the remake nonsense and just play the original.
I thought so too.
Until I actually saw direct comparisons vs PC version maxed out.

Dead Space 2 was a huge upgrade over Dead Space 1.
Which i think most people think Dead Space 1 looked like.
Dead Space one was a pretty barren game.

DrM77t3.gif

I was just making a joke, there are some changes but they don't bother me that much.
What bother me most are some shitty animation that i hope they are gonna get fixed in the final release.
And they made the traitor bitch tits smaller:lollipop_squinting:
I need to see her with the jacket off before I make any judgements.

68Xhd8D.png

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I replayed Dead Space 1 & 2 (X360 versions) a year ago and had tons of fun. The only thing that really bothered was Isaac being 'mute' in DS1, especially during dramatic scenes. I just hope they won't go the opposite route in the remake and have him comment everything or engage in pointless banter.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I replayed Dead Space 1 & 2 (X360 versions) a year ago and had tons of fun. The only thing that really bothered was Isaac being 'mute' in DS1, especially during dramatic scenes. I just hope they won't go the opposite route in the remake and have him comment everything or engage in pointless banter.
He will just speak when asked but will never initiate a conversation. His tone while speaking also changes depending on how intense the situation is.

The games still play really well, 2 & 3 are also 60fps on the XSX via BC in contrast to the 1st game but...they could have really benefited from a resolution boost as the 720p one is just an eye sore even on a 1080p screen.

As for the remake : I'll personally wait for it to come out on EA Play since I've finished the whole trilogy a couple of months ago (again).

PS : DS3 is a jolly good and very atmospheric game, yes, the weapon customization thing is utter garbage but other than that, the atmosphere - while different compared to the other 2 - is still very good
Can we acknowledge how disappointing it is the MS shut down their BC program? There are SO many games that need a resolution and fps boost! Why did they shut this down after all the big talk from them about what the Series X would bring to BC?

Power Pro

Can we acknowledge how disappointing it is the MS shut down their BC program? There are SO many games that need a resolution and fps boost! Why did they shut this down after all the big talk from them about what the Series X would bring to BC?
I remember some quote from Phil Spencer also being like they made all the deals they could for BC, so they reached their limit, but still found that to be bull shit. There are at least a few Microsoft owned games like Brute Force that never made it's way BC.

I must admit, I have a hard time finding some Xbox 360 games that don't work, or haven't been ported to current generations, so they did a good job, but I wish they just kept it going in the background as long as there were games not brought over.

Still think it's a friggin' crime they didn't find some way to get Jet Set Radio Future on it.

Gamerguy84

I would buy the new one. To me it looks completely different. The graphical upgrades are huge.

TLOU on PS3 looked like garbage compared to the PS4 version I played.
Dead Space looks like the same kind of upgrade and it makes a difference I think. Of course it also depends on other things like your financial situation.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I thought so too.
Until I actually saw direct comparisons vs PC version maxed out.

Dead Space 2 was a huge upgrade over Dead Space 1.
Which i think most people think Dead Space 1 looked like.
Dead Space one was a pretty barren game.

DrM77t3.gif
Left: Soul
Right: Soulless

Holds up how? I tried playing dead space on PC on steam and I had to refund it, the controls are ass, no ability to change the sensitivity of the camera, zero pc settings, unplayable on controller without mods

Arachnid

The new one isn't a 1:1 remake either. I think you could play it after and enjoy it. The devs stated they want this game to feel new for returning players, so there are a solid amount of adds and changes.

-New areas (more exploration, you need security clearance to get to new areas now so you'll sometimes backtrack to old)
-old scenarios are revamped to play differently
-new and more dialogue with more side characters and expanded story elements
-expanded upgrade paths for weapons
-waaaaay more skins for Issac all with different perks
-new side quests
-redone 0g sections to be more in line with 2
-all one map now that you use the tram to navigate the Ishimura in real time
-intensity director that means you could get random Necromorph spawns somewhere you didn't before, random sounds to keep you on edge
-waaay better gore (blowing chunks of necros looks wild now) and graphics

In other words, play both. If you're still scared of it not feeling fresh, hold off a bit on the remake and get it down the line.

Last edited:
I hadn't ever finished the original Dead Space, and I found myself in the mood for a game like Dead Space recently. I think it seeing the release of The Calisto Protocol, and that really made me want to play a game like that. I was almost going to buy Calisto Protocol, until I saw people talk about how bad the combat is. It really turned me off how broken the combat sounded.
Just finished Callisto Protocol today - I'm happy I ignored all the noise. The combat is fun and straightforward, and despite its length, it's quality sci-fi survival horror. I would recommend checking it out eventually if you're enjoying Dead Space (2008).

NG+ and the story dlc are going to make Callisto Protocol even better.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Is Isaac a chick now?

From the 20 minutes or so of gameplay they showed

- Isaac talks (not much buf he does)
- Isaacs wife is uglier
- some npc has smaller tits
- they race swapped some people in a poster inside the ship
- some dialogue is different, ie some female npc now mentions having a wife in a passing comment

That's about it from memory, that was enough for some people in GAF to completely lose the plot though it's all trivial and the game looks gorgeous.

Some animations did need clean up but that mightve been fixed.

Last edited:
Please op just finish the original before even considering buying the remake. And from the sounds of it you're playing the original 360 version possibly backwards compatible but to the best of my knowledge even on a Series X there is no enhancement so you're seeing it at 720p. I implore you to consider buying it on the Steam sale and play it on PC if you have one. It doesn't take a high end PC to play it at 4k 60. Even a gaming laptop from 10 years ago could probably manage it. It truly does hold up visually when you aren't playing at low resolutions, I guarantee you won't disagree.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

So instead of wasting money on a $70 game which isn't really getting much praise since it's release, I decided to boot up a game I've had on my Xbox account for years and never finished with the original Dead Space. If the remake had already been out when this mood struck me, I might have waited, but now I'm already several chapters in, and even though this game is 14 years old....it's still damn good.

I know people love to say old games suck, or the PS360 generation was terrible because bad framerates, and HD not being ready or some other shit. Thing is, I still think this 2008 version of the game looks gorgeous at times. Character models are a little blocky, but the animation is still solid. The environments are still just gorgeous to look at and play through. I got so caught up in the mindset over the past few years thinking old games from this era can't hold up anymore, but this one totally does. The sound design is also outstanding; I've been playing with a soundbar that has rear speakers and a subwoofer, and I feel so emerged in this horrific situation while playing it.

I'm already a few hours deep, and I'm torn if I should keep going or wait for the remake. I'm still totally enjoying this 2008 version of the game, but watching some videos of the remake do look pretty cool, but not different enough from a gameplay perspective. Plus, not sure I wanna spend $60-70 on a game that I already am playing. Wish they had priced it slightly cheaper.
Play the original. I guarantee it will be better than the remake. The original was my favorite in the series and having a silent protagonist is important to its feeling of loneliness

Last edited:

Black_Stride

From the 20 minutes or so of gameplay they showed

- Isaac talks (not much buf he does)
- Isaacs wife is uglier
- some npc has smaller tits
- they race swapped some people in a poster inside the ship
- some dialogue is different, ie some female npc now mentions having a wife in a passing comment

That's about it from memory, that was enough for some people in GAF to completely lose the plot though it's all trivial and the game looks gorgeous.

Some animations did need clean up but that mightve been fixed.
Anti-wokism is worse than woke-ism

You dont even know what you are angry at............they couldnt keep the right for the faces.
Cuz a good portion of the characters in Dead Space 1 were actual actors.
You gonna tell me Issacs chick was hot in the first game?.....Now shes uglier so its "woke"?
Mate

Im embarrassed for you.
Have a real complaint.....im about to break my media silence just for you.

So come again and tell me how they have made Dead Space woke.

Imma catchu every time now cuz I see you.....I see you

ungalo

The screen comparison shows the remake is way more beautiful, but that doesn't mean it needed a remake.

I don't want to shit on EA because i think lately they're trying to make games that don't revolve around monetization, but it still shows that they're completely dead creatively. There are a lot of new interesting things to play this year and even with some improvements i don't think this remake is one of them.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
WCCFdeadspaceremake7-1024x576.jpg

:messenger_fearful::messenger_fearful::pie_neutral::sick:

Dead-Space-3-008.jpg

That Clarke was a Badass.

And in DS 3

That suit is awesome... even is not the main character.

dead-space-3-split-screen-1a.jpg

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Anti-wokism is worse than woke-ism

You dont even know what you are angry at............they couldnt keep the right for the faces.
Cuz a good portion of the characters in Dead Space 1 were actual actors.
You gonna tell me Issacs chick was hot in the first game?.....Now shes uglier so its "woke"?
Mate

Im embarrassed for you.
Have a real complaint.....im about to break my media silence just for you.

So come again and tell me how they have made Dead Space woke.

Imma catchu every time now cuz I see you.....I see you
Wait, I have 0 problems with these changes and I'm excited for the game lol. I just made a summary of the "woke" complaints people had in that other thread

Top Bottom