• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I honestly hate the "release the broken game and patch it later" mentality that developers and publishers have.

levyjl1988

Banned
Every fucking time.

Games are released as "games as a service", and it's a broken mess, it just gets obliterated by poor reception, and not only that, they have the balls to ask for microtransactions.
Games that are released as buggy messes, or feel incomplete and patched later never succeed, players are burnt by the initial impressions they most likely traded their copy. anyways, they won't be coming back.
It not only ruins the developer's reputation but it gets slammed by early reviewers and prevents future sales.

How many games already fail to meet our expectations...

Fallout 76
Anthem
Mass Effect Andromeda
Marvel's Avengers
CyberPunk 2077

So much fucking garbage.

And once that game gets from the ugly state that it was to something of value eg) Star Wars Battlefront 2, EA pulls support for it.

I feel that publishers and developers have their heads far up their asses that they don't know what's going on anymore.
They aren't listening to constructive feedback and it's pissing a lot of players off.

Jj2IR5y.jpg

Then when a company fails, the executives have a nice golden parachute to fall back to when everything around them burns.
At least when Nintendo was failing Satoru Iwata took a pay cut, Americans just shit on everyone else when companies fail.

Fuck capitalism, fuck society

/rant

kyussman

Yea,it's shitty for sure....but I mostly wait a time for games to be fully patched up before buying them...and they are cheaper too by then.
It's pretty bad to end up paying more for a worse experience just because you are keen to buy and support a game at launch....I guess it's just a product of technology....without us all being connected to the internet devs would have no choice but to polish up games much more before release.

It happens and will keep happening. A lot of people complain about the developers, but I believe most of the time the hate should be the focus on the bad management they have, instead of the poor guy that must follow what they tell them to do, at the end of the day they pay you to work.

I decided to make my own published games, but doing things like before, no crap DLC, not a broken mess, no game as a service, and "no looting box" (the name I decided). Do not search for my first game, it is shit (It was a test and to make fun of things).

A lot of developers will perish due to this, but I wont blame the poor guy who follows orders.

Sick and tired of it too OP but I've stopped pre-ordering after Cybershit 2077. That's the best we can do is to not pre-order and let games go through proper review process.

I could strangle a baby goat whenever I see the following (especially the bolded):

Fallout 76
Anthem
Mass Effect Andromeda
Marvel's Avengers
CyberPunk 2077

CDPR can suck a dick. Knowingly misleading gamers and reviewers for this fucking game.

tsumake

It’s akin to watching a movie in a theater, then having a director’s cut released the following week in theaters, replacing the original cut. Or, you’re reading an ebook and the author is making changes to passages while you’re reading it. You don’t have the final product, for good or bad.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It’s akin to watching a movie in a theater, then having a director’s cut released the following week in theaters, replacing the original cut. Or, you’re reading an ebook and the author is making changes to passages while you’re reading it. You don’t have the final product, for good or bad.

It's more like reading a book with half the pages missing and somebody having drawn a bunch of dicks in the margin of the rest of them.

Impotaku

Or watching a movie & the projector just breaking down & you not getting what you paid for despite you handing your money over.

Velius

Banned
If people would stop pre-ordering and buying day 1 this wouldn't happen.

The issue is people don't value their money enough to withhold it in the face of shitty products.

OrtizTwelve

All of this will stop if everybody stops pre ordering games. There’s no reason to pre order a game in 2021. I can’t recall games ever being sold out anymore, not since the early 2000s.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
This is what you get with Agile development. You put out a minimally viable product and then improve on it. If you really want to play a particular game, you might want to wait for the first or second major patch. Sometimes you are fine playing the release build. Sometimes you get a game breaking bug and either need to wait for a patch or, if you are lucky, find some hack way to work around it that some crazy bastard worked out after he hit the same bug.

SinDelta

Several events have stood out to me over time.

When the horse armor DLC came out, and people warned this was the future of gaming.
When Blizzard merged with Activision.
When EA bought Westwood, Maxis, Bioware and Visceral and multiple iconic IPs subsequently died.

Bioware especially. They went from making Baldur's Gate, Kotor, Jade Empire and Mass Effect to Anthem.

When loot boxes and gatchas became normalized to the point gamers had to beg for government intervention. Lol, remember when Jack Thompson was near gamer enemy number 1?

Early Access...not for indie studios who actually make use of it efficiently but for big publishers and devs who can easily have QA departments at their back and call.

Battle Royals and shovelware mobile games having obscene sales, and the current shift towards that market.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's why I quit buying physical. Ever since PS360 launched the disk version of a game is the worst version available. I don't buy games until they're finished now. A year late and cheaper.

People like to say they are resisting a digital future with physical copies and when the stores go offline they'll still be able to play their games but they're just lying to themselves. They'll be playing the most broken version and it will suck. "But at least I'll be able to play some version!" they say. Think of all of those people "collecting" physical copies of Cyberpunk 2077 on consoles and not being able to patch them. It'll be good for a laugh I guess.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

one of mentality that ruined title like FFXV too and this kind of mentality used to be(hopefully) part of square enix's management

Last edited:

zcaa0g

Banned
Every fucking time.

Games are released as "games as a service", and it's a broken mess, it just gets obliterated by poor reception, and not only that, they have the balls to ask for microtransactions.
Games that are released as buggy messes, or feel incomplete and patched later never succeed, players are burnt by the initial impressions they most likely traded their copy. anyways, they won't be coming back.
It not only ruins the developer's reputation but it gets slammed by early reviewers and prevents future sales.

How many games already fail to meet our expectations...

Fallout 76
Anthem
Mass Effect Andromeda
Marvel's Avengers
CyberPunk 2077

So much fucking garbage.

And once that game gets from the ugly state that it was to something of value eg) Star Wars Battlefront 2, EA pulls support for it.

I feel that publishers and developers have their heads far up their asses that they don't know what's going on anymore.
They aren't listening to constructive feedback and it's pissing a lot of players off.

Jj2IR5y.jpg

Then when a company fails, the executives have a nice golden parachute to fall back to when everything around them burns.
At least when Nintendo was failing Satoru Iwata took a pay cut, Americans just shit on everyone else when companies fail.

Fuck capitalism, fuck society

/rant

Yeah, capitalism is the problem. smh. Just because it may not benefit you doesn't mean it's a problem or is wrong.

It's not any different than "guns don't kill people; people do" and "social media brought out the a-holes when in fact, they were already a-holes".

People are the problem, not the system.

zcaa0g

Banned
I'm at the point where I play very few new games and Nintendo is the only company I trust to release a quality day 1 game but even then I'm definitely not pre ordering.

Everything else I wait a year or two to play once they are finally done the game

It's easy to not have bugs with 90s era graphics and 80s era simplistic gameplay. It works for them, but let's face it, their biggest technical challenges is having a 90s era graphics run on their underpowered hardware.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The internet got widespread, so devs know most gamers are hooked up.

Release now, ask for forgiveness later.

No different than patch size. When gamers had 360 and PS3 with 20-60gb HDD, and even later models at 120-250gb HDD, the patch sizes were reasonable. The lowest common denominator were gamers with small HDD so the sizes had to be small.

I lived off a 20 gb 360 unit till 2012 when it finally bombed and I had to buy a 250 gb slim.

Xbox One and PS4 come around, the minimum HDD size is 500 gb and suddenly Dead Rising has a patch that is 13gb. That's probably more than all game files and 360 OS updates combined I had on my 20 gb model.

Call of Duty and it's updates is I thin 200 gb alone.

Last edited:

jakinov

GaaS and release a broken game are two separate things. GaaS is the concept that you can release a MVP and be feature incomplete at launch. Releasing a broken game is releasing a game that you know your features don't work that well. They aren't mutually exclusive but they are two different strategies that may or may not overlap. Some of the games don't even quality as GaaS.

Releasing games with known bugs is generally okay. It happens in regular software development all the time but thats arguably less bug proned. Releasing a game that's arguably unstable and has a lot of known bugs that are likely to occur is not. A lot of the big developers do it especially because there's a good amount of time between going gold and release date that they can fix more bugs before gamers actually get it.

Nintendo engages in capitalism too, they just have a culture of honor what not. It's great and all that he did that but his job was to make a strong profit for share holders and he failed to do that. So he artificially gave them a bit of profits and did as a gesture to show that he was willing to make things right for them.

The problem is, publishers should stop releasing games that are broken regardless of whatever model it uses. It's bad for their rep and it'll probably cost them more in the end.

Last edited:
The thing is, if I was to get such a game I would just drop out of it and never go back... This is the worst BS, it's like releasing a movie before the script is even finished (many movies are actually released like that, so who am I kidding).

Hinedorf

Banned
I don't think software developers ever stop wanting to improve something. The 'get it out early' folks are your motherfuckers who are worried about stock value dipping even 1% on their tenure

That's why companies like Blizzard and Rockstar produced the best games of their generations due to not being beholden to such folk, once you sell out so does quality control which is where they are now...

2nztoy.jpg
0*jroql8oLLdxPjZQp.jpg

Last edited:

angrod14

It says a lot about the work ethic of the devs in question. A good team of professionals in any sort of field, people who take pride in their work and craftsmanship , would never submit something that is half assed while simply intending to amend it later. Video-game development should follow the same principle.

When you put a product in the market for people to consume it, it better be fucking ready for final assessment, or go home and finish it before submitting.

Last edited:
I love it, it tells me which developers deserve my money and which I'll fish out of a bargain bin. Why give a dev money for a pile of shit when I can wait until next year and buy an actual finished product for 1/3 the price?

Lots of devs release a game with small issues here and there, games are gigantic now after all. However, there is a huge difference between "Here's a bowl of ice cream with a cherry on top! Sorry if the cherry was too small, we're working on getting a better cherry" and "here's an empty bowl, we promise that in three months we'll put ice cream in it" and three month later the ice cream is actually just shit and they sell the corn DLC for $30.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Well since patch become a thing QA become almost non-existent.

There are some features that come for bad.

Yea it's poison but sadly gamers conform and settle for mediocrity so they can get away with it. The vast majority of publishers and even devs these days don't care about quality, just only money.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate the "Pay to play online? Sure!" and "Can I get a refund Sony? No? Lemme get 3 copies of TLOU2 and top up my PS+ sub for 2 years then." "Liars! Bad game! 4 copies of Call of Duty, $50 of Fortnite skins, and 10 copies of random low effort remasters" mentality most gamers have.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

I’ll always wait a bit for a sale or something anyway, I’ve got plenty to be getting on with playing in the mean time.
Yep. Next time you're asked to pre-order, go 'Nah, get fucked'

WarlikeAffectionateAntarcticfurseal-max-14mb.gif

I can’t remember the last i preordered something
I’ve never preordered a game, it serves zero purpose to me.

Just buy it when it comes out! Why are you giving them money up front?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I’ll always wait a bit for a sale or something anyway, I’ve got plenty to be getting on with playing in the mean time.

I’ve never preordered a game, it serves zero purpose to me.

Just buy it when it comes out! Why are you giving them money up front?
Last time I preordered games was probably around 2014-2015 when disc sales still had E3 preorder deals at 30% off.

But if its regular price, there's zero reason too. Discs and digital copies don't run out.

Top Bottom